The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Cardiff Blues

+21
ScarletSpiderman
Luckless Pedestrian
clivemcl
Golden
GLove39
The Saint
PenfroPete
glamorganalun
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
LordDowlais
carpet baboon
Cardiff Dave
The Great Aukster
XR
Notch
Coleman
Don Alfonso
Standulstermen
Pete330v2
neilthom7
25 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Cardiff Blues - Page 4 Empty Ulster vs Cardiff Blues

Post by neilthom7 Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ulster v Cardiff Blues
Kingspan Stadium, Belfast
Friday 27th March 2015
19.35 Kick Off
Live on BBC 2 NI and BBC 2 Wales

Team News
Ulster- (15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave (Captain), S Olding, M Allen, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Ross, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, R Diack, A N Other, P Marshall, I Humphreys, R Scholes.

Cardiff Blues- 15 Rhys Patchell, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Cory Allen, 12 Gavin Evans, 11Lucas Amorosino, 10 Gareth Anscombe, 9 Lloyd Williams; 1 Sam Hobbs, 2 Matthew Rees (c), 3 Adam Jones, 4 Jarrad Hoeata, 5 Lou Reed, 6 Josh Turnbull, 7 Ellis Jenkins, 8 Josh Navidi

Replacements: 16 Kristian Dacey, 17 Taufa'ao Filise, 18 Scott Andrews, 19 Macauley Cook, 20 Manoa Vosawai, 21 Tavis Knoyle, 22 Gareth Davies, 23 Tom Isaacs

A discussion point for everything related to the game on Friday. Ulster should have Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding available start the game after injury.  Roger Wilson is unavailable after suspension due to personal reasons and Iain Henderson returns at blindside after coming off the bench for Ireland at the weekend.  

Ulster have next weekend off as they aren't in any European competition and will be looking to take a maximum 5 points from this before that ummm let's call it tricky run of fixtures we have coming up as we try and head for a home Semi Final.

Cardiff have The Dragons after this in the Challenge Cup Quarters and will want to win this for form and also to help avoid being the last placed Welsh team in the Pro 12.

Should be a cracking fixture

Last edited by neilthom7 on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Cardiff Blues - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulster vs Cardiff Blues

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Whats with Hump's hair????

That's what I meant about the bet!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:
The Saint wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:
The Saint wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:RHYS PATCHELL UPDATE - in hospital, but showing positive signs

Jeez. What happened??

SEE ABOVE IN THE THREAD

I can't be fu**ed to go LOOKNIG FOR IT. Okay?

IMHO - Nick Williams led with the shoulder and made sure, by lowering the shoulder, that it made contact with Rhys' head Crying or Very sad  

What??
Williams went in upright and made contact with the forearm/elbow. How can you possibly think it was his shoulder? It was a typical Williams brainfart of a cheap shot but honestly.

That is MY  (Osprey fan) opinion and viewpoint Pete,  YOU are as equally entitled to yours Ale Don't worry, you're already guaranteed a play-off spot aren't you Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:36 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Great bonus point win but my goodness didn't we make it hard for ourselves, I have a new theory that Ulster are trying to kill off all the older fans so they can get the young fans into the stadium lol
Great heart shown by Cardiff to come back after being 21 points down but good leadership at the end to make sure we didn't bottle it
Great performance from Jacko, Pienaar, SCholes and Herring
Nick Williams is free to leave in my opinion too much of that from him.

Williams was free to leave half way throught the season to be honest, More a liability this season

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:
The Saint wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:
The Saint wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:RHYS PATCHELL UPDATE - in hospital, but showing positive signs

Jeez. What happened??

SEE ABOVE IN THE THREAD

I can't be fu**ed to go LOOKNIG FOR IT. Okay?

IMHO - Nick Williams led with the shoulder and made sure, by lowering the shoulder, that it made contact with Rhys' head Crying or Very sad  

What??
Williams went in upright and made contact with the forearm/elbow. How can you possibly think it was his shoulder? It was a typical Williams brainfart of a cheap shot but honestly.

That is MY  (Osprey fan) opinion and viewpoint Pete,  YOU are as equally entitled to yours Ale Don't worry, you're already guaranteed a play-off spot aren't you Wink

Fair enough but a shoulder and a forearm are very different and judging intent as we all know is impossible even to refs Wink

All over in Dubs, 34 all. Best result for us

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

Blues fans should be rioting in the street...you've been run by morons for a number of years. There's great potential there but it going from bad to worse.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

How are we 2 points off the top with 4 games to go. Has everyone been utter gash all season?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

PETE - I've been flicking thru 4 channels of sport, but whatever he led with he led with it and IMHO meant to take Rhys' head
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:How are we 2 points off the top with 4 games to go. Has everyone been utter gash all season?

YEP - it's a bit like the 'devalued 6 Nations' when England don't win it Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:44 pm

Cuthbert really is fantastic in attack, if he can sort out his defensive weaknesses then he would be a certain starter for Wales.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:47 pm

PenfroPete wrote:PETE - I've been flicking thru 4 channels of sport, but whatever he led with he led with it and IMHO meant to take Rhys' head

He's a nice guy off the pitch but becomes a thug on it Pete, freakin maddening as he brought so much in his first season. He can pack his bags and Harlequins can have all of him and his yellow cards to be honest. It was a definite cheap shot, I can't think he would have meant to cause damage but it is what it is. Goodbye Nick Williams

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

Cuthbert can come on over to Ulster if he wants, you could play that big beast just about anywhere on the pitch if he can do that week in week out

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm

Williams can feck off to Harlequins... what was he trying to do? Idiot. He doesn't lead with the shoulder or arm as said earlier in the thread but still, what was he trying to do? What advantage would we have gotten out of it? Thats not how a ruck is cleared. The man is a liability on the pitch. We had all the momentum at the start of the game and he's let himself and his teammates down and gotten himself sin-binned, in addition to inflicting a potentially serious injury. I was disappointed he came back onto the pitch. I thought he should have been replaced there and then.

What a roller coaster game though. We were very poor for the middle half of that game.

Last edited by Notch on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:06 pm

Jesus. Just saw the Williams Patchell incident. Don't suspect we'll be seeing the big thug again this season.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:06 pm

Any further word on Patchell?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm

If the incident (which I have not yet seen) was that bad, then why was Williams not red carded? Are ref's feeling sorry for Ulster and reluctant to give them more cards? Smile

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

It was given as a yellow card. It was borderline, I think if he actually did lead with his arm or shoulder it would have been. To be honest, I think Patchell has got his head in a horrible position and Williams runs in completely carelessly. He is responsible for the opposition players safety at that point. He runs into the ruck, doesn't bind onto anyone. Probable citing.

Frankly, I'm just furious about his discipline. I know he doesn't intend to inflict an injury like that- not that that is an excuse- but why, oh why would you do that in the opposition 22 in the sixth minute when you are already 7-0 ahead? Could have been red, could have cost us the game, could have cost Rhys Patchell a lot more than that.

Brainless, liability- send him off to Harlequins.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm

I was only kidding, but Notch your response admirable.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm

Hope Patchell's injury isn't as bad as it looks. Nick deserved a red for that. Really stupid, and he may not play again this season. I hope his next game is with Quins.
Not that Cardiff were squeeky clean themselves. Cuthbert pulling Allen back, and stopping him scoring a Try, and whoever it was (Cuthbert again?)pulling the head of Ludik back by the hair just before he went over for his first Try. Naughty.

Heart breaking to see Olding in agony. The injury may well mean any chance he had to make the World Cup is now gone.

Great to see Henry and Jackson back playing, with Jackson picking up the MoTM, although I think Ludik edged it.

We had a disappointing 3rd quater, but the guys were off their feet after having to defend with 14 men for 20 min's, thanks to Williams, and a team yellow. Fair play to Cardiff in the second half. They played really well. So well I thought we might lose the game, but the subs saved the day, and won us the bonus point. Lovely kick from Humps to put Ludik over for the Try.

Job done. 5 points Very Happy

Just to add: Great to see the Cardiff lads going over to Henry at the end of the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm

I think the hair pull was Jarrad Hoeata?

Was it Cuthbert who tackled Jackson high in the lead up to Ludik's 2nd try?

Not sure. The ref was playing advantage for something and I thought it was that. I wonder would there have been a yellow if we had not scored?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:50 pm

There was a high tackle of Scholes in the lead up to ludiks 2nd but it wasn't Cuthbert I don't think nor was there much in his wee shorts tug on Allen. On Williams I don't think it was as bad as all that but with refs looking at outcome his forearm was there i don't think to injure but  (in no way was it a shoulder/elbow) a red is justified. It's hideous technique. Screw him IMO and I hope patchell is grand. 

Herring or Henderson were the best players for me but Jackson showed some lovely stuff

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:05 am

@cardiff_blues: Latest on Patchell is he is talking to staff in hospital and showing positive signs. Likely to be kept in overnight as a pre-caution (1/2)

@cardiff_blues: A big thank you for all the messages of support for Patch. We will update you as we can over the coming 24 hours (2/2) #BluesFamily

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:07 am

Thanks Rev.

Fingers Crossed

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:10 am

I didn't see the hair pull etc, but I'll look for them in the highlights. But the shorts pull was pretty fair for Cuthbert getting barged off the ball in the first instance. First penalty should've been Cardiff's, but seeing as in reality they were both something of nothing, it was probably right to play on with the drop out

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:26 am

Didnt get to see the game. Olding got injured again? Did it look bad?

Is Williams to Quins confirmed? Ulster really lucky that they arent stuck with him for another season.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:32 am

Looked bad Golden. leg injury according to pitchside they said it was significant knee injury so I guess we will know in time but doesn't look good.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat 28 Mar 2015, 7:18 am

I'm not convinced the Williams thing was quite as devious as being made out. I watched it back and I believe Williams started his run up to hit the ruck/maul. It was the way he dragged his arm up just after the initial contact that made it look like he was making the most of the brutality of a hard hit.

I do feel he is reckless though, but not necessarily intentionally going for a neck/head. I don't buy that. Reckless and clumsy and brutish though - tick, tick and tick.

Just a few seconds after (before the ref blew) Williams also rear ended Mike Allen because he was in between Williams and a player WIlliams wanted to run at. He just has an unhealthy desire to hit ruck hard. Probably because that's his only real use these days. ANd it's not even helpful, and he does little else effectively. I've had enough of him personally.

But like I say, I'm not sure he had Patchell lined up and went to make contact with his head. Watch it back and you'll see. Williams was starting his run in order to add a big push, then Patchell joined and Williams continued with his contact regardless and recklessly.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

@cardiff_blues: Thanks for all the messages of support for Patch. Good news is he is leaving hospital soon and flying home this afternoon #BluesFamily

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

That's good to hear Risca

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:12 am

Good to hear Patchell is going to be OK. I remember watching him at Ravenhill two years ago and thinking he was a future Lion's 10.

My feelings on the incident run close to those of Colin Charvis. His first reaction was there wasn't much in it, other than a clumsy accident. It was only when RP didn't get up that he started revising his view, so the outcome changed his view to yellow as it did mine.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

You should have seen the diva like over reations from certain poster on here (not you penfro) who thinks your shoulder is on your forearm.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:You should have seen the diva like over reations from certain poster on here (not you penfro) who thinks your shoulder is on your forearm.

Fair comment but I like the remark from the Blues coach Dale McIntosh ("the Chief" when at Pontypridd and a genuine hard character on and off the pitch). He's a man of few words but gets his point across : "Forearm to the head? Red card. I should know, I did it enough".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Mar 2015, 3:33 am

I found that a bit embarrassing really, particularly when Pontypridd celebrated it. Typical small minded mentality.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Sun 29 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

agree rev.

Looking forward to Williams being banned for the rest of the season.

What was the nationality of the TMO?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 29 Mar 2015, 9:58 pm

Believe me it wouldn't worry a single Ulster fan if Williams gets banned as he's a useless lump these days but to look forward to such a thing is peurile in the extreme. To mention TMO nationality just brings your comments down even further.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 29 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

I just hope that when Kiss comes in next season he gets a grip on discipline and attitude amongst the ulster players because it's a serious problem and it's not restricted to Williams.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:31 am

Pete330v2 wrote:Believe me it wouldn't worry a single Ulster fan if Williams gets banned as he's a useless lump these days but to look forward to such a thing is peurile in the extreme. To mention TMO nationality just brings your comments down even further.

I look forward to his lengthy ban because what he did was absolute thuggery which has no place on the field. He knew what he was doing and could have seriously injured Patchell and he deserves to be banned for a while. Whether he will or not remains to be seen, this league has a habit of pandering to the favourites.

As for the TMO question, it was a geniune question... Anyway, i did some digging and found he's attached the IRFU and has spent a lot of time refereeing in the Ulster Bank League?

This goes beyond this game, btw. Why can't we have a fully neutral refereeing team? When the blues play a scottish team it should be an all irish team. When they play against irish teams it should be an all scottish team. Goes to show what a shambles this league is and why it's not taken seriously and brings in barely any money at all.

On a side note, how is it every Ulster home match seems to be on a Friday? Do they ever play on a Sunday?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:40 am

gcBlues wrote:Whether he will or not remains to be seen, this league has a habit of pandering to the favourites.

That's obviously why we've had Declan Fitzpatrick, Alan O'Connor, Stuart McCloskey, Luke Marshall and Roger Wilson banned. We're being pandered to.

You really do just say stuff without concern for its relation to the real world, don't you?

And Nick Williams can sod off.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:00 am

gcBlues wrote:This goes beyond this game, btw. Why can't we have a fully neutral refereeing team? When the blues play a scottish team it should be an all irish team. When they play against irish teams it should be an all scottish team. Goes to show what a shambles this league is and why it's not taken seriously and brings in barely any money at all.

I could not agree more. clap

Let me just add, I do not care what nationality they are, I just want them to be fair and impartial. We had a red card incident for a Welsh player on Saturday, it was the correct call by the TMO, and guess what, the TMO was Welsh. You see that is what you get when the teams that are playing are not the employers of the officials.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:04 am

Don Alfonso wrote:
gcBlues wrote:Whether he will or not remains to be seen, this league has a habit of pandering to the favourites.

You really do just say stuff without concern for its relation to the real world, don't you?

I thought i heard the referee say something along the lines of "Yellow card unless you think different". That was the opportunity for the Ulster Referee TMO to say, no it's a straight red as he led with his forearm with no intention to bind on to the maul, but apparently he concurred with the ref? Odd that a big call was not made, you'd think an IRFU employee would ref fellow IRFU employees fairly, right?

Anyway, do you know why Ulster never play on Sundays? Seems a bit off to me.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:07 am

gcBlues wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:

I thought i heard the referee say something along the lines of "Yellow card unless you think different". That was the opportunity for the Ulster Referee TMO to say, no it's a straight red as he led with his forearm with no intention to bind on to the maul, but apparently he concurred with the ref? Odd that a big call was not made, you'd think an IRFU employee would ref fellow IRFU employees fairly, right?

Anyway, do you know why Ulster never play on Sundays? Seems a bit off to me.

gcBlues, it is more sinister than being employed by the IRFU, these officials are actually employed by the provinces, they work with them, train with them, and do god knows what else with them as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:09 am

Oh i know of the 'in the pocket' nautre of the IRFU referees. I believe there is a guy who does the TMO for Munster home matches and he's involved with the Munster Association of Referee's.

Rather close to home for me.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:13 am

And that is my argument with the Irish in here, how can these refs be impartial ? What is to stop Paul O'Connell having a quiet word with John Lacey in the changing rooms after a training session about a game he could be reffing the following weekend ? Even if it's a tongue in cheek remark like, "hey John we could do with Glasgow losing next week, come on help us out".

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:19 am

How do you pair expect anyone to take anything you add to these forums seriously. You really need to wise up, grow up and stop the whinging.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:21 am

Tinfoil hats at the ready .

Thank god we don't have to play any more welsh teams this year as it's less likely to see you two blithering idiots clogging up threads. Jesus wept

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:25 am

Cheers guys real classy reply's, we will just ignore the Wayne Barnes thread then shall we ? Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

Pete330v2 wrote:How do you pair expect anyone to take anything you add to these forums seriously. You really need to wise up, grow up and stop the whinging.

I'm not whinging? I'm merely questiong the league we all play in and why there is no neutrality when it comes to refereeing teams. I'm sure you would agree with me on that one?

Standulstermen wrote:Tinfoil hats at the ready .

Thank god we don't have to play any more welsh teams this year as it's less likely to see you two blithering idiots clogging up threads. Jesus wept

Look, i know you can't contest facts but you could try and contribute rather than name calling, maybe? Having watched the game, the big talking point would be the 'incident' on Patchell so i'm talking about it and an offshoot of that is a discussion regarding the TMO who agreed with a yellow card. I know you won't like the fact i have pointed out he's an Ulster official but you could at least accept that he shouldn't be in charge of game-changing decisions in a game where his colleagues are playing?

And neither of you have answered my question as to why is it Ulster do not play on Sundays?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

Didn't know there was a Wayne Barnes thread lad. It's posts like the ones you guys made that is driving people away from this place. The capacity for rational discussion is massively diminished. 

Anyway I don't have the time or will to argue with those kind of posts

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:32 am

LordDowlais wrote:Cheers guys real classy reply's, we will just ignore the Wayne Barnes thread then shall we ? Rolling Eyes

You should, I certainly have.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

I have seen the Wayne Barnes thread and commented on it but only about his incompetence not conspiracy theories which are frankly ludicrous.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

Notch wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Cheers guys real classy reply's, we will just ignore the Wayne Barnes thread then shall we ? Rolling Eyes

You should, I certainly have.

But I just knew this would end up happening Notch, why is it OK for your countrymen to grizzle about officials, then when us Welsh do it, we get told we are driving people away from this forum ? Why is it us who need to put tin foil hats on ? I am sorry but there is more of a case for impartiality in the Pro12 than any other professional rugby set-up anywhere.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next