The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie

+2
Irish Londoner
dummy_half
6 posters

Go down

Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie Empty Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie

Post by dummy_half Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

Leeds rugby league legend Kevin Sinfield has announced that at the end of this Super League season (and at the end of his contract with Leeds Rhinos), he is to try his hand at Union for Yorkshire Carnegie.

Of course, at 34 he's well past his peak, and won't have the same hype as Burgess. Pity he didn't make the switch 7 or 8 years ago, as he could have been the answer to the continuing problems of the England 12 jersey. Good to see though that he wants to try his hand at Union to at least a reasonably high level - one of his reasons was that he did not want to go to a different RL team and end up playing against Leeds.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie Empty Re: Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm

He should be more than capable at Championship level, got a great boot on him, will be good with the youngsters and should be very good for the gate/shirt sales at Headingley as well.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie Empty Re: Kevin Sinfield to Yorkshire Carnegie

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 02 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

Strange one, this. I don't make a point of watching RL but, by the same token, I don't change the channel if it comes on.
Sinfield seemed to be (possibly is) a great RL player but isn't he a bit old to learn new skills, tactics, mins-sets etc. Sam Burgess looks like he is struggling with it and he appears to be a better player than Sinfield.
Am I being cynical by suggesting it is a marketing ploy. I saw in the Telegraph that Carnegie's last home attendance was about 2,500

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Apr 2015, 4:33 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Am I being cynical by suggesting it is a marketing ploy. I saw in the Telegraph that Carnegie's last home attendance was about 2,500

It is 50% marketing ploy, 50% a guy just trying something different before he retires. Sinfield has no great ambitions for RU, just not ready to hang up his boots. At Championship level I expect him to be a decent enough player at 10 for Carnegie.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 02 Apr 2015, 4:39 pm

Fair enough but Carnegie would need to signing to be self-financing (hence my cynicism). Even thoigh, he is at the end of his career, he won't have been cheap

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Apr 2015, 4:47 pm

Carnegie and Rhinos all the same company - or were.

I know a lot of YCCC members/Rhinos ST holders who get free tickets for Carnegie - but never go. Good chance most will at least try it now if they think Sinfield may play.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 02 Apr 2015, 7:57 pm

He's an experienced on field leader. A good kicker with good skills. It'll be tough for him to learn a new game but Burgess is coping whilst under a massive spotlight and without a preseason.

It's a good PR stunt by Yorkshire. He's a good example and mentor to the younger play makers in the squad as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:12 pm

Apparently he's SQ and the Herald is running a story that he might be a bolter for the WC. Presumably if we run out of centres, which is looking possible.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:31 pm

That would be a shocking selection. Never played in union but straight to the RWC. Would be great for Sinfield well right up to the point the Scottish midfield gets shredded. Big difference between Championship level rugby and international level rugby.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:57 pm

Yeah, but it's a paper filling up column inches with something they made up.

Should have added that.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 Apr 2015, 9:41 am

justified sinner wrote:Apparently he's SQ and the Herald is running a story that he might be a bolter for the WC. Presumably if we run out of centres, which is looking possible.

Super League season does not finish until 10th October, date Scotland play their last Pool game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri 03 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

justified sinner wrote:Apparently he's SQ and the Herald is running a story that he might be a bolter for the WC. Presumably if we run out of centres, which is looking possible.
Are you serious??!! Even with Alex Dunbar broken, we aren't that hard up for centres are we? Look at it this way, Sam Burgess who can walk on water in RL has struggled to make the switch so how on earth is Sinfield going to manage it. As someone pointed out, the RL season finishes in Autumn

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down