The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook vs Gavin

+21
catchweight
dangerous_mouse
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
rob-glos
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
Valero's Conscience
Rodney
Herman Jaeger
hazharrison
Coxy001
Dipper Brown
Hammersmith harrier
lambertm100
88Chris05
Rowley
kingraf
Derbymanc
mobilemaster8
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brook vs Gavin Empty Kell Brook vs Frankie Gavin - May 30th?

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:43 am

Rumours are that Gavin has side stepped his 9th May showdown with Van Heerden for a World Title shot at the O2 with Kell Brook.

Not confirmed just yet but it appears to be a nearly done deal with Eddie promoting both fighters.

What are the thoughts on this fight? Does Funtime deserve a chance? Should the world champion be fighting better names? Who wins and how?

Personally it's a big step up from Jo Jo Dan and with Frankies past talents if he turns it on he could go the distance.

Brook too strong and too confident at the moment and is an all round better fighter and with another southpaw I feel a late stoppage maybe around 7.

If it happens of course

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Brook vs Gavin Empty Re: Brook vs Gavin

Post by Derbymanc Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:52 am

Rolling Eyes

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:56 am

Heard about this. Chris van Heerden was slated to face Gavin. According to him, Hearn called him up, and he'd been I'm training for it for a few weeks now. Hearn then doesn't have the decency to tell him it's probably off, and he only finds out through WBN. Spent some good money prepping for this, (Chris trains with Roach, who you'll understand doesn't come cheap). Hearn is a louse.

Also highlights the joke that is World Boxing. IBF
approved Heerden-Gavin for the #2 spot, but Gavin found a better fight (fair enough), if however, that fight doesn't get made, IBF will not approve the Heerden-Gavin fight, because Heerden isn't ranked high enough. Despite that not having been a problem two days ago, when this wasn't mooted.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:07 am

Terrible fight, Gavin stinks the place out every time he fights and Brook has just had a gimme defence, one of the hottest divisions in the sport and this is the best that they can come up with.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:36 am

Well, one good thing you can say about this (if it's true, of course) is that at least Brook is getting right back in there and defending again only 8 / 9 weeks after his last fight. I'd appreciate a few more title holders doing this every now and then.

The problem is, in light of the fight not happening the summer Brook really needed his next opponent to be an eye-opening name to put pressure on Khan and make him look bad. Gavin sure as hell doesn't tick those boxes and it's going to be hard for the Brook fanatics to go ahead with their planned slating of Khan-Algieri (again, if that one actually comes off) in light of this. Naturally there's going to be a bit of backlash as Hearn had said that if Khan didn't want to fight they'd just go and get Brook another "massive fight."

Gavin just does nothing to advance Brook and Hearn's public tactic of them being the guys who want Khan and are shooting for the stars and Khan being the ducker who is playing it safe.

Another concern of mine is the date. Hearn was asked about his May 30th card (which currently has some good fights on it, namely Mitchell-Linares, Selby-Gradovich and Joshua-Johnson) a few weeks back and went all coy when asked if he planned on making it a PPV, saying, "it depends what gets added between now and then." Decent and potentially enjoyable card though it is, I still don't think it justifies PPV by any stretch of the imagination. But I'd be concerned that with another 'all-British world title show down, grudge match (yep, Gavin and Brook hate each other and have a long, storied history, turns out everyone just plumb forgot about it until now) clash between two great fighters' Hearn might think he's "added" enough to try another PPV venture with this one. Hopefully not.

Anyway, Brook to win without any real hassle should it happen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by lambertm100 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:47 am

I think any world title fight between 2 Brits is brilliant and this one excites me. This is perhaps Gavin's only big chance given his age so I think he dedicates himself to this camp like never before. Brook to win but not before Gavin's slick style causes him some problems. Hearn would make this card PPV which is a shame but inevitable.

lambertm100

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:50 am

Brook steamrollers Gavin without too much, not sure it's a step up from Dan but it's an extra fight so can't expect too much.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:19 am

If it comes off its not a fight that interests me.

As Chris suggests, adding this to the May 30th card and making it a PPV worries me. If I don't end up getting a ticket, I'd like to watch it at home but I'm not paying extra for it.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

If Khan gets away with fighting Algieri then Brook gets away with fighting Gavin, going by Truss's mentality.

For Brook to fight again on the 30th then he was never going to get a big massive name at relatively short notice. As a tickover fight I don't mind it as he won't be headlining the card... so will be on the undercard? Gavin finally gets what has been coming his way for stinking out the place so often, winning!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:04 pm

I read that Gavin turned down a title eliminator with Tim Bradley (who'll now face Shawn Porter for whatever title it was).

It's a decent enough card if this one gets added but I wouldn't be paying PPV. It's the type of card that's probably worth paying 40 bob for a ticket for, though (if that makes sense).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:10 pm

Pretty lousey way to treat van Heerden but that aside I actually think Gavin could make Brook work for the win. Not a bad fight but no way ppv worthy.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

lambertm100 wrote:I think any world title fight between 2 Brits is brilliant and this one excites me. This is perhaps Gavin's only big chance given his age so I think he dedicates himself to this camp like never before. Brook to win but not before Gavin's slick style causes him some problems. Hearn would make this card PPV which is a shame but inevitable.
FS even Gavin's camp aren't as confident as you are!

Saw Gavin last time out...bored me rigid, looked in poor physical condition and labored to a win when his supposed "talent" should have enabled him to get it done at a canter. Absolutely nothing to suggest Gavin has to tools to beat Kell, may as well ask Matty Hatton to step up to the plate again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:22 pm

Would Sky risk running two PPV Boxing events in one month ??

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm

Yeah Haz, I get what you mean. I'd spend that on a ticket, a decent evenings entertainment and I like the O2 as an arena. But to spend £15-20 to watch it at home? No chance!

That's assuming the worst and the 30th is made PPV, of course.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:34 pm

Nowadays, most champions only fight twice a year.

Brook could easily wait until the end of the year so I guess having a fight in-between against a lower calibre fighter is fine? isn't this what the old school fighters did?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

Have to be careful Brook doesn't become another Quigg...........

He's had one gift already............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm

Had Brook not just had seven months off with a career threatening injury I think I'd be a tad more critical about the choice of opponent. I can probably give him a pass for this one (how VERY magnanimous of you Mr667) but would want to see a significant step up in quality afterwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:02 pm

Was about to say the same thing Dave.

I think Brook deserves a bit of leeway because of the injury, plus it's not as if he didn't want a (supposedly) bigger challenge in Khan. Not his fault the Khan fight hasn't materialised. But I think he knows he goes for a big name after this.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:04 pm

Coxy001 wrote:If Khan gets away with fighting Algieri then Brook gets away with fighting Gavin, going by Truss's mentality.

For Brook to fight again on the 30th then he was never going to get a big massive name at relatively short notice. As a tickover fight I don't mind it as he won't be headlining the card... so will be on the undercard? Gavin finally gets what has been coming his way for stinking out the place so often, winning!

Khan has one soft fight and Brook has two....

Ever thought of re-educating yourself..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:05 pm

Thought it was gonna be Rios and rios is more of a name opponent to the americans, but this fight is a fight only aimed at us britains.

Dont reaply like this fight but i like the rebound time of brooks defences. As long as he keeps fighting, winning and increasing his competition it'll be a good year

Gavin is a decent boxer but doesnt have enough physicality to beat Brook

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:If Khan gets away with fighting Algieri then Brook gets away with fighting Gavin, going by Truss's mentality.

Khan had 3 soft fights, then 1 decent fight then another soft fight, kinda evens out a bit

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:09 pm

It's a decent stay busy fight for him - Gavin will pose him some problems before (you'd imagine) being overpowered. Brook's unlikely to get hurt and so could roll again in the summer.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:11 pm

Brook Rios is really one that appeals, especially if Rios will come to the UK and I think this is one for the future, maybe even next up who knows? Rios seems keen, but Brook must have a good chance of beating him. He's shown he can handle pressure.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:15 pm

Funny isn't how when someone you don't like wins.............Their last fight becomes a gimme....

Some posters on here picked Collazo to win..........Alexander was 50/50..........

But now he's beaten stiffs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:17 pm

Bradley can't be too far away, can only presume he'll be made the mandatory if Gavin jumps straight into a shot. Rios, Bradley and Khan seem the most likely fights in the next 12 months if Khan doesn't keep bottling it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

Yep wants to fight the stiffs known as Mayweather and Manny.........Instead of the mighty Brook..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yep wants to fight the stiffs known as Mayweather and Manny.........Instead of the mighty Brook..

Yeah but those are win win for Khan.

Fans just want Khan to beat a real threat before he gets the Money Pacs.

It's his air of entitlement when deep down he knows he hasn't earnt it yet. Hell, why is he anymore deserving than say Danny Garcia for instance?

And for me, Collazo(old,) and Alexander(good win,) were easier than Danny Garcia rematch or Matthysse for instance.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:39 pm

Devon Alexander was a threat..........

I want to see Khan v Brook............But all this "No bottle" stuff........

Is so tragic and pitiful............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Khan wasn't stabbed in the leg 7 months ago.

Ever thought of actually getting an education?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:43 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I'm going to be a babe magnet and champion golfer instead..

Brook has just had a comeback fight and "retained" his title..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Devon Alexander was a threat..........

I want to see Khan v Brook............But all this "No bottle" stuff........

Is so tragic and pitiful............

Yes he was a threat that's why I said it was a decent win, but Alexander wasn't and isn't in the top five of the division. I should have clarified- a threat to me is a top five division man.

Incidentally, talking of Danny Garcia, I really hope Danny isn't going to do a Khan and move up to avoid Matthysse rematch.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I'm going to be a babe magnet and champion golfer instead..

Brook has just had a comeback fight and "retained" his title..

And it's not his fault Khan wants no piece of him. And it's not like he's waited 4 months to announce the fight, he's keeping busy - can't please some nowadays in an age where guys fight twice a year tops.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

Khan may not want a piece of him yet...............But it's no excuse for crap after crap....

Always said every champion should be allowed an easy first defence..

If Brook was Quigg you'd be sticking the boot in..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan may not want a piece of him yet...............But it's no excuse for crap after crap....

Think you mean Frampton.

He'll be chief support, don't have much problem with that in a short-ish term voluntary fight.

He's already said he's going to fight 3 times this summer, so stop sniffing panties and let a now half decent May 30th card pass and lets see who he lines up for the big one. If he goes on to fight someone like Alexander/Collazo then yes he'll get chastised for doing so.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:02 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan may not want a piece of him yet...............But it's no excuse for crap after crap....

Think you mean Frampton.

He'll be chief support, don't have much problem with that in a short-ish term voluntary fight.

He's already said he's going to fight 3 times this summer, so stop sniffing panties and let a now half decent May 30th card pass and lets see who he lines up for the big one. If he goes on to fight someone like Alexander/Collazo then yes he'll get chastised for doing so.

I mean Quigg.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

Think you mean Frampton.

I mean Quigg.........

I don't dislike Quigg....

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:11 pm

No but the fact remains after two soft defences he was taking heat...........

Like I said every new champ should have an easy defence......

I commended Brook on his win against that doughnut.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:29 pm

Pants.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:36 pm

hazharrison wrote:It's a decent stay busy fight for him - Gavin will pose him some problems before (you'd imagine) being overpowered. Brook's unlikely to get hurt and so could roll again in the summer.

Stay busy fights for "Champions".......

Whatever next..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:40 pm

Terrible fight. 

When Gavin stepped up to Euro level he was handled comfortably by Bundu. 

How Brook and Matchroom can give Khan stick for fighting Algieri and then put this on is laughable...

And....

Eddie is still talking about getting the May 30th fight out of the way and then Rios in the summer.

Newsflash Edward, they're both your fighters and that's a little disrespectful to Gavin (even though he will get beaten convincingly by Brook)

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:42 pm

Just think Low Low Dan.......Gavin and then.... the guy Manny shutout and Alvarez beat......

For his first three defences...........

Change his name to Kell Quigg...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Just think Low Low Dan.......Gavin and then.... the guy Manny shutout and Alvarez beat......

He did spend however long in hospital after getting stabbed... I can forgive him 2 easy fights before taking on someone like Rios. Be a step up from fighting Algipony who got knocked down how many times by Pacquiao Trussy?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 08 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

The plank is criticising Brook but can't defend Ward or Khan enough.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:01 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The plank is criticising Brook but can't defend Ward or Khan enough.

If you weren't so stupid................I said everybody deserves one easy defence............

P**s off back on boxrec.....

Remember when Hammer started arguing about some fighter's power because he had a ko5 on boxrec....

Turned out a poster had seen it and it was a cut stoppage !! Laugh thumbsup

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:09 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Just think Low Low Dan.......Gavin and then.... the guy Manny shutout and Alvarez beat......

He did spend however long in hospital after getting stabbed... I can forgive him 2 easy fights before taking on someone like Rios. Be a step up from fighting Algipony who got knocked down how many times by Pacquiao Trussy?

I commended him on Dan...Coxy..

Khan and Ward aren't champions....................Although maybe Boxrec haven't updated that fact yet..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Brook vs Gavin Empty Brook vs Gavin

Post by hampo17 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

Been seeing reports that Gavin has missed the IBF deadline so the eliminator will now be between Porter and Bradley, while Gavin has apparently agreed terms to face Brook on May 30th.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm

Porter v Bradley is a 50/50..............Good fight.

Have to think though that the above average brawler will shine early and flop later like he did against Brook..

Bradley w12

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

God get your head out of your arse which is stuck in the 80s, no one gives two hoots who holds what alphabet title.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:39 pm

Coxy001 wrote:God get your head out of your arse which is stuck in the 80s, no one gives two hoots who holds what alphabet title.

They did in the 80s.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 08 Apr 2015, 4:44 pm

Bradley can do everything porter can do but is a superior boxer and more aspects to his game, and the only advantage Porter has is his power but you aren't knocking out Bradley so Bradley points in an entertaining scrap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next