The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever

+20
Mr Bounce
RanjitPatel
hogey
88Chris05
Steffan
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ZZ
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
DuransHorse
Strongback
3fingers
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
Nico the gman
Marlonz
Hammersmith harrier
AdamT
Lance
ShahenshahG
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever - Page 3 Empty fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever

Post by AdamT Wed 06 May 2015, 7:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wayne McCullough is mine. Tough as old boots and rarely ever going to be in a dull fight.

Honorable mentions, Lennox Lewis,Nigel Benn and Carl Froch.

Froch is hated by some, but I enjoy watching the man box. Great entertaining fighter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever - Page 3 Empty Re: fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote: Truth is Bugner's losing effort against a close to prime joe Frazier is a performance level up from anything cooper did in the ring. Even if joe's borderline pacifism regularly stank the place out.:

Obvious rebuttal is Cooper came closer to beating Ali than Bugner did.............

Ali is a better heavy...than frazier !!

"He lost better than him".......Scraping the barrel......What bollox !!!!

Obvious rebuttal if you haven't watched both fights beefster! Bugner was inconsistent but at his best a better fighter than cooper.

Good to know that comparing performances in defeats (which I didn't to by the way) is scraping the barrel. We can now give equal weighting to duran being rolled like a drunk by hearns  as we do to, say, Leonard losing to duran. Very Happy

Anyway, Is this the new boxing board politics thread? Want to pick up that discussion we had about polls and the electability of ed miliband...  that we parked a few years back?

If you were a Man...I'd take you outside and bum you!!.

PS..Don't confuse me with an Ed Miliband fan..

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 May 2015, 1:42 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote: Truth is Bugner's losing effort against a close to prime joe Frazier is a performance level up from anything cooper did in the ring. Even if joe's borderline pacifism regularly stank the place out.:

Obvious rebuttal is Cooper came closer to beating Ali than Bugner did.............

Ali is a better heavy...than frazier !!

"He lost better than him".......Scraping the barrel......What bollox !!!!

Obvious rebuttal if you haven't watched both fights beefster! Bugner was inconsistent but at his best a better fighter than cooper.

Good to know that comparing performances in defeats (which I didn't to by the way) is scraping the barrel. We can now give equal weighting to duran being rolled like a drunk by hearns  as we do to, say, Leonard losing to duran. Very Happy

Anyway, Is this the new boxing board politics thread? Want to pick up that discussion we had about polls and the electability of ed miliband...  that we parked a few years back?

If you were a Man...I'd take you outside and bum you!!.

PS..Don't confuse me with an Ed Miliband fan..

Changing a quote like that is probably actionable !! (my lawyer Super can advise me).... I'd hate to see you sharing a cell with Rolf Harris (He's got enough problems as it is).............

Besides I don't bum people .....outside.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 08 May 2015, 1:47 pm

Well Cooper was pretty long in the tooth by then for sure, Truss (as he said in 2008 when Setanta got him and Bugner together for an interview, by that point his right hand was "only good for wiping away the sweat"), but then again Buger was only twenty-one and pretty green in all likelihood. Other side of his peak to Henry, but not at his peak all the same.

But who wins peak for peak is irrelevant really. What is relevant is that when they did fight, most people seem to have no fundamental issue with Bugner getting the verdict even if they scored the fight for Cooper by a slither due to how close it was - but if you gauged it purely on Cooper's reaction and subsequent hostility towards Bugner and Gibbs, you'd think it was a highway job. Bugner was just doing his job at the end of the day and hindsight (in the sense of his career going on to be a largely disappointing and unfulfilled one) doesn't mean that the media backlash he got in 1971 was justified.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 May 2015, 1:56 pm

You could argue that if bugner hadn't a)killed someone in the ring, and b) been vilified over the cooper fight, he might have had a better career. He beat a few half decent yanks and wasn't embarrassed in the first Ali fight.

He was one of those guys that could punch if you made him angry... He just didn't get angry often! And yes, he did stink a few times! Pictures of him by the pool after the Ali world title fight didn't help his cause either.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 May 2015, 2:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Well Cooper was pretty long in the tooth by then for sure, Truss (as he said in 2008 when Setanta got him and Bugner together for an interview, by that point his right hand was "only good for wiping away the sweat"), but then again Buger was only twenty-one and pretty green in all likelihood. Other side of his peak to Henry, but not at his peak all the same.

But who wins peak for peak is irrelevant really. What is relevant is that when they did fight, most people seem to have no fundamental issue with Bugner getting the verdict even if they scored the fight for Cooper by a slither due to how close it was - but if you gauged it purely on Cooper's reaction and subsequent hostility towards Bugner and Gibbs, you'd think it was a highway job. Bugner was just doing his job at the end of the day and hindsight (in the sense of his career going on to be a largely disappointing and unfulfilled one) doesn't mean that the media backlash he got in 1971 was justified.

I guess If Bugner was only 21 he hadn't perfected lying on the ropes and doing F**k all by then !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 08 May 2015, 3:13 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Well Cooper was pretty long in the tooth by then for sure, Truss (as he said in 2008 when Setanta got him and Bugner together for an interview, by that point his right hand was "only good for wiping away the sweat"), but then again Buger was only twenty-one and pretty green in all likelihood. Other side of his peak to Henry, but not at his peak all the same.

By getting that decision against Cooper, Bugner found himself as public enemy No1 and the British public never warmed to him, not even when he was fighting Ali and Frazier.That was one of the reasons he left and went to Australia.

Cooper never acknowledged or spoke to Harry Gibbs again after the fight with Bugner.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Fri 08 May 2015, 4:40 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
ZZ wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Hatton was rubbish and we all know it. Most overachieving boxer ever, no skills just maul foul, push elbow.

picard  not seen much of Hatton then.

Nah he was rubbish and you know it. Way overated by joe public.

You just idolise anything white and working class no matter how technically crap.

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Fri 08 May 2015, 4:40 pm

Oh and im white and working class too, just not a sheep.

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 08 May 2015, 4:44 pm

ZZ wrote:Oh and im white and working class too, just not a sheep.

Aye, I had a different word in mind for you as well. Wink
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 08 May 2015, 4:45 pm

That's the shortest post I've ever seen posted by you Chris.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 08 May 2015, 4:57 pm

Atila wrote:That's the shortest post I've ever seen posted by you Chris.

You should have seen the one when he posted a picture of his willy.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 08 May 2015, 4:58 pm

I only inflict my sprawling, coma-inducing slabs of nothingness on those who really have done something bad to deserve it, Atila.

You know, like people who don't have a bit of a man crush on Ray Leonard and the like.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 08 May 2015, 5:01 pm

ZZ wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
ZZ wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Hatton was rubbish and we all know it. Most overachieving boxer ever, no skills just maul foul, push elbow.

picard  not seen much of Hatton then.

Nah he was rubbish and you know it. Way overated by joe public.

You just idolise anything white and working class no matter how technically crap.

I found Hatton boring myself and he lost the plot in the Pacquiao fight but he was neither rubbish or technically crap, his biggest problem was neglecting the technical side of his game; You cannot throw a perfect left hook to the body if you're not technically proficient and he also had a very good quick jab when he decided to use it which unfortunately after Tzuyu was very rarely.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 08 May 2015, 5:10 pm

Hattons problem wasn't a lack of technical skills, it was that he was a f*cking idiot who lead with his face when he had the skills to mount a good aggressive attack mixed with a decentish defense. In addition he spent half his life playing up to his fans by trying to be a burger king mascot. He could have been better than he was but with the guys ahead of him he could never have achieved much more than he did.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 09 May 2015, 3:11 pm

Absolutely no prizes for guessing my picks as being Kirkland Laing and Herol Graham- especially Laing who was the boxing equivalent of a stoned Roy of the Rovers- Spliff out, glove up, bamboozle the opponent then home for a Red Stripe. Both may be remembered as under achievers, but their level of skill was out of this world,and when they were on their game just a joy to watch, and their un-canny knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory made watching them all the more exciting- you were always asking yourself 'is this finally the night when they justify their ability".

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 09 May 2015, 5:26 pm

horizontalhero wrote:Absolutely no prizes for guessing my picks as being Kirkland Laing and Herol Graham- especially Laing who was the boxing equivalent of a stoned Roy of the Rovers- Spliff out, glove up, bamboozle the opponent then home for a Red Stripe. Both may be remembered as under achievers, but their level of skill was out of this world,and when they were on their game just a joy to watch, and their un-canny knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory made  watching them all the more exciting- you were always asking yourself 'is this finally the night when they justify their ability".
I would have loved to have seen Bomber win a world title, even at 38 Bomber gave Brewer nightmares dropping him twice before running out of gas and getting stopped. Bomber must watch the Jackson fight and cringe, he had it won and got careless. Would have been a certain world champion if he'd been around now IMO.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 09 May 2015, 10:39 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:Absolutely no prizes for guessing my picks as being Kirkland Laing and Herol Graham- especially Laing who was the boxing equivalent of a stoned Roy of the Rovers- Spliff out, glove up, bamboozle the opponent then home for a Red Stripe. Both may be remembered as under achievers, but their level of skill was out of this world,and when they were on their game just a joy to watch, and their un-canny knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory made  watching them all the more exciting- you were always asking yourself 'is this finally the night when they justify their ability".
I would have loved to have seen Bomber win a world title, even at 38 Bomber gave Brewer nightmares dropping him twice before running out of gas and getting stopped. Bomber must watch the Jackson fight and cringe, he had it won and got careless. Would have been a certain world champion if he'd been around now IMO.

Or found a way to lose to today's holders! the frustrating thing with Graham is based on skill only he was the match for any middleweight in history, and I include the likes of Haglar and Monzon in that, but he just couldn't seem to put it all together when it really mattered. And on top of that he was one of boxings nice guys.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 10 May 2015, 2:46 am

Earlier mention of Gary Mason, whose last ditch attack on Lewis haven taken an absolute pasting is one of the biggest displays of heart I've ever seen in the ring. Eubank is a unique sporting character who happened to be an excellent fighter, which makes him a favourite. Amir Khan was in the first Olympics I remember watching, and I've always wanted him to do well since seeing his raw talent back in 04.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3