The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever

+20
Mr Bounce
RanjitPatel
hogey
88Chris05
Steffan
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ZZ
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
DuransHorse
Strongback
3fingers
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
Nico the gman
Marlonz
Hammersmith harrier
AdamT
Lance
ShahenshahG
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever - Page 2 Empty fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever

Post by AdamT Wed 06 May 2015, 7:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wayne McCullough is mine. Tough as old boots and rarely ever going to be in a dull fight.

Honorable mentions, Lennox Lewis,Nigel Benn and Carl Froch.

Froch is hated by some, but I enjoy watching the man box. Great entertaining fighter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever - Page 2 Empty Re: fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever

Post by Guest Thu 07 May 2015, 12:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:Grew up hearing "know what I mean 'arry?Uhuhuhuhuh" so Bruno is iconic. That said, I believed Lewis was the best and could beat anyone and rooted for him against Frank.

Naz was the guy everyone loved when I was at school. I'm not so fond now as I was though.

Loved Calzaghe but wish he'd tested his ability more.

More of a Gary mason man myself. Never really warmed to frank, something very likeable about mason, RIP.

If Mason was so good, where was his ketchup advertising deal?

Mason is regarded as the more talented of the two but lacked the dedication big Frank had.  He never made the same impact on me as I was too young too seek out boxers, I got what the media gave me and that happened to come in a bottle with HP stamped on the side.  Nations favourite loser was Frank.

When people moan about some of the arrogant personalities around today and how people can support them.............I always remember lovable Frank who was really a bit of an a**ehole................

Remember him saying in a KO magazine interview he told Honeyghan he should stop being so arrogant and outrageous because he could make more money..

Give me a knob anyday... raspberry raspberry Cool
He could have advertised Lurpak and been a knob of butter

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 May 2015, 12:43 pm

Didn't Frank say if Labour won in 1992 he was leaving the Country.........

Real man of the people was Frank...

Think Frank should have left it after Tyson 2............

Sobering that I have him smashing every other Heavy including Wlad about now though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 07 May 2015, 12:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't Frank say if Labour won in 1992 he was leaving the Country.........

Sobering that I have him smashing every other Heavy including Wlad about now though..

Yup. Tell you what TRUSSY, the picture you're painting of this Green Party supporting guy going around giving sound business advice to fellow pro's makes me realise he's probably going to be right up there with Savile and Glitter when the public finally realise... the dirty scumbag should be lynched.

You sir are doing a public service bringing this information to the table.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 07 May 2015, 1:11 pm

I liked big Frank. Good fighter but he really went to pieces in Tyson 2.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 07 May 2015, 1:13 pm

I wish frank had the tendency to start trading when hurt. We would have seen some spectacular knockouts

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 07 May 2015, 1:15 pm

If Frank was around now, he would do some damage in my opinion.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 07 May 2015, 1:16 pm

To a point yes but still be behind Wlad and a few more. There are still a few tough bastards about that could take advantage of his stamina issues.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 07 May 2015, 1:23 pm

Colin Jones for me, very good fighter who always gave exciting fights and 100% effort

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 07 May 2015, 1:25 pm

Can't be bothered going over the full thread but has nobody mentioned Buchanan, or are we all young boys here,ha!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 07 May 2015, 1:26 pm

Buchanan is the captains childhood hero.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 07 May 2015, 1:27 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Buchanan is the captains childhood hero.

The Captain knows his stuff too.

Think Ken is my dads favourite home fighter. He loved Henry Cooper too.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 07 May 2015, 1:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't Frank say if Labour won in 1992 he was leaving the Country.........

Considering more people voted for the Conservatives in 1992 and most of our elections in his lifetime he was pretty much instep with the people, not sure why lefties always feel the need to knock others politics if they have different beliefs. In fairness the bloke is a complete c@nt though, Gary Mason was worth 50 of him as a man.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 07 May 2015, 1:42 pm

hogey wrote:

Considering more people voted for the Conservatives in 1992 and most of our elections in his lifetime he was pretty much instep with the people, not sure why lefties always feel the need to knock others politics if they have different beliefs. In fairness the bloke is a complete c@nt though, Gary Mason was worth 50 of him as a man.

Genuine question, but why? Everyone has their dark side and does things people can frown on but "complete c@nt"? Am I missing something really bad?

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 07 May 2015, 1:50 pm

I was more concentrating on fighters who I experienced during their careers in my post, but yep, in terms of fighters from eras before mine Buchanan is always a good watch. Still searching for his Paduano fight which people raved over at the time and is apparently as punch-perfect as it's ever got from a British fighter (anyone else here ever managed to find it / remember it?) but his fight with Watt is a brilliant one as well, with Buchanan keeping a cool head under pressure to adapt and pull it out with body shots and inside work in the championship rounds after Watt got the better of him on the outside by taking his jab away.

Howard Winstone, too. Just so skilled and technical to compensate for his lack of power. All three of them are excellent, but the second fight of the three he had against Saldivar is just amazing and one of my favourite fights ever. Even though he lost it, I'd always direct people to that fight if they wanted to see how good Winstone was, along with his performance against Eduardo Guerrero.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 07 May 2015, 2:06 pm

Hatton was a big part of boxing taking over from football as my favourite sport. His was a career that I followed from more than less the beginning, which I couldn't do with fighters from the 90's I enjoyed due to my age. Followed Cotto's career from quite early days too due to Hatton.

From the 90's it would be Benn, Eubank and Lewis. Took me a while to warm to Naz because the first fight I saw of his was with Steve Robinson and the way he took him apart turned me off him.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 07 May 2015, 2:08 pm

Unfortunately for Winstone that second fight highlighted the benefit of having a brutal body attack, was every bit the equal of Saldivar who just happened to be the greatest championship round boxer of them all.

Like you Chris was concentrating on those I have seen live so to speak; going way way back it's always interesting to read about the greatest from these shores; The Ghost With A Hammer In His Hand Jimmy Wilde. British boxing before WW2 was ridiculously strong and makes a mockery of Truss' assertion that we're well known for being crap at boxing; Moran, Driscoll, Welsh, Berg and Lewis would beg to differ.

An on form Conteh is a good watch, don't think there has been a more complete post British boxer but like many partied his prime years away.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 May 2015, 2:13 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I wish frank had the tendency to start trading when hurt. We would have seen some spectacular knockouts
Agreed, but most of them would have been Frank hitting the deck

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 May 2015, 2:26 pm

hogey wrote:

I'm not a lefty..............I'm in the center..........

Frank isn't most people........Most people aren't trading on being one thing.....

90% of my colleagues are Tories........

I don't dislike Tories..............I don't like two faced muppets..

Then again you're too stupid to keep the argument in it's context.....So jog on..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 07 May 2015, 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 07 May 2015, 2:36 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:I wish frank had the tendency to start trading when hurt. We would have seen some spectacular knockouts

Aye true enough but better this lying prone on the ropes and not covering up properly.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 May 2015, 2:40 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Aye true enough but better this lying prone on the ropes and not covering up properly.
Sounds, at best, like the lesser of two evils to me.

1/ He gets tagged and just drops his hands, "He should cover up or throw something back before he gets kno...oops!"

2 /He starts throwing leather, "He's swinging wildly for the fences hoping to land that big shot before he gets knocked out himself, he'd be better of covering up and prote.......oops!"

Option 1/ Frank loses and gets criticized
Option 2/ Frank loses and gets criticized

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 May 2015, 2:43 pm

Frank is the only Boxer I've ever seen to stagger his opponent and then hold on.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 07 May 2015, 3:05 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

1/ He gets tagged and just drops his hands, "He should cover up or throw something back before he gets kno...oops!"

2 /He starts throwing leather, "He's swinging wildly for the fences hoping to land that big shot before he gets knocked out himself, he'd be better of covering up and prote.......oops!"

Ha yeah, but if he lands one when the opponent isnt expecting it = spectacular knockout.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 07 May 2015, 3:08 pm

Yeah Hammersmith, Winstone must have wished he was around in the twelve-round era instead of the fifteen-round one. The total opposite to someone like Froch. I know the decision in that second fight wasn't totally popular but I thought Saldivar just about turned it back in his favour by a point or two (or half a round going on old money!). A bit similar to the second fight between Jofre and Harada (albeit I don't think there's too much dispute about that one, unlike their first fight) where the result was in the balance for twelve rounds before the busier fighter who made all the investments to the body of their opponent takes advantage of them slowing a little and being overwhelmed / walked down.

Was thinking about doing an article examining how good Wilde and Ted Kid's claims are to all-time supremacy in Britian. They're the two consensus picks but it'd be interesting to see if anyone could make a compelling counter-argument for someone like Lennox, Buchanan or Welsh to be pushing them close. Maybe even the odd dark horse such as Calzaghe or Hamed might be a bit closer than we initially thought. Think Wilde is probably safe enough but Ted Kid Lewis' claims maybe aren't as superior as I used to think, although they may well till be superior all the same.

Berg probably the most underrated of that lot, for me. The man beat Canzoneri, Chocolate and Billy Petrolle in the space of twelve months, I believe. A shame for him that Light-Welterweight wasn't universally recognised in the UK at that time as he has a record that Hatton could only dream of.

Speaking of Brits who partied away their primes, sorry Truss, but I do like watching a bit of primetime Honeyghan. Against Rosi, Shufford and Curry he was exceptional. Hard to catch, could box and bang equally well, fast as they come etc. Had a bit of everything going for him at that time.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 May 2015, 3:10 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Ha yeah, but if he lands one when the opponent isnt expecting it = spectacular knockout.
By the time Frank throws that right hand, any half decent fighter has time to go home, have a bite to eat and a shower, pop his gloves back on, climb back into the ring and STILL duck under it

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 07 May 2015, 3:43 pm

I was always a massive fan of Benn, simply because he was so exciting. Even when he lost, he still was one to go for it. Would have loved to be able to see him and Froch fight. Don't think Nigel would've won, but it would've been a hell of a fun fight to watch.

Joe Calzaghe was one I tuned in for and I genuinely believed he wouldn't get beaten. He always looked in control to me, even when the chips were down. His first ever pro knockdown at the hands of Byron Mitchell did shake my belief a little, but then normal service was resumed in the next minute or so!

Hamed was great to watch as although he was an arrogant little so & so, he had the talent and unpredictability along with his ridiculous power to back it up. Remember watching one of his pre-WBO title SBW fights and the (well-seasoned) opponent was complaining to his corner that he couldn't hit him because he couldn't see him. Speed & power!

Lennox Lewis was my favourite though, especially when he was fighting with a bit of spite. Granted he took his eye off the ball with McCall & Rahman, but avenged both those defeats, and when he let his hands go there were few that could live with his power. Very nice guy too. Just a shame he and Bowe never got it on in the pros.

Honourable mentions go to Eubank (loved his posturing and anti-boxing stance - oh the irony), David Haye (only as a cruiserweight, note!), Herbie Hide when knocking over anyone about his size and of course the rags to riches story of Steve Robinson.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 07 May 2015, 3:44 pm

Benn was great to watch. Wasn't afraid to get into a scrap.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 07 May 2015, 3:50 pm

It's true, Buchanan was the great hero when I was first introduced to the sport and he's still my favourite boxer ever. Conteh would be an honourable second and I was also a great fan of guys like Maurice Hope and, more latterly, Pat Barrett, possibly the biggest single shot hitter I've ever seen from the UK after Naz. Naz himself, Colin McMillan during his terrific but sadly brief prime, Paul Hodkinson and the eccentric genius Kirkland Laing are others from the UK whose fights I always tried not to miss.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 07 May 2015, 4:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Giving a shout to the provinces,  Mcguigan fights were always an event, Macaulay was good value... Well the bassa fights were. Buchanan was a bit before my time but Jim watt was worth a watch. Colin jones was value too, even if he did flatten laing twice.
All those you've mentioned were in some great fights, Jones could hit, remember Watt's Glasgow kiss on Sean OGrady, Watt was definitely losing that fight, blatant nut.

Never understood how Davis lost to the ordinary Jim Watt.............

Out of all his fights Davis never wants to talk about that one................Say's he's too embarrassed about it !!
Jim Watt couldn't have been that bad. Back when titles meant something he held the British record with four defences. As for Davis, maybe he suffrered from freezing up on the big nights. He's the only gold medalist from the 76 Olympic team to not win a world title.

Favourite fighter Lennox Lewis. He didn't just make it to the top. He made it to the top and stayed there for a number of years and left at the top. Another fighter I liked was Dennis Andries. Andries did great considering how little natural talent he appeared to have.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 May 2015, 4:10 pm

I liked mo hope too. though like many I imagine, my lasting memory was the day he became no hope against benitez. Those were the days... when the pride of britain became highlight reel knock out material for the world's finest. Hope benitez and Leonard v dave boy green. Double ouch.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 07 May 2015, 4:14 pm

I never bought into the big loveable Frank scenario, big false act from a big false man.

Bruno was touted as this big punching heavy, but when he moved up in class, never looked like knocking Bonecrusher,Witherspoon or Lewis out, momentarily shook Tyson.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 07 May 2015, 4:17 pm

Chris Finnegan was a good fighter,great fight against Foster, unfortunately for Chris, Conteh was around the same time.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 07 May 2015, 4:19 pm

I bought into the Bruno act when he first started to become a household name, I was gutted when he lost to Bonecrusher. But I really grew to dislike him after a time due to his image, it just seemed embaressing to me.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 07 May 2015, 4:23 pm

A little bit before my time but Bruno and Cooper are the two biggest mysteries in British boxing, the former was able to compete at world level at least but the love for our 'Enry i'll never understand.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 07 May 2015, 4:29 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:A little bit before my time but Bruno and Cooper are the two biggest mysteries in British boxing, the former was able to compete at world level at least but the love for our 'Enry i'll never understand.
Henry Cooper had a great personality, done loads for charity, and one of the most approachable sportsman outside the ring,the love from our Enry doesn't just stem from a boxing ring,watch the documentary on him after he died it gives you an insight of what a smashing bloke he was, liked by everybody.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 07 May 2015, 4:32 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:A little bit before my time but Bruno and Cooper are the two biggest mysteries in British boxing, the former was able to compete at world level at least but the love for our 'Enry i'll never understand.
Henry Cooper had a great personality, done loads for charity, and one of the most approachable sportsman outside the ring,the love from our Enry doesn't just stem from a boxing ring,watch the documentary on him after he died it gives you an insight of what a smashing bloke he was, liked by everybody.
I thought Cooper was a liar myself.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 07 May 2015, 4:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:

Frank isn't most people........Most people aren't trading on being one thing.....

Then again you're too stupid to keep the argument in it's context.....So jog on..

Imagine this guy won the Election.  Would this be the best Britain has gotto offer?  BTW has the Off-Topic section bitten the dust.

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever - Page 2 Ed_Miliband_and_his_740921a

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 07 May 2015, 4:35 pm

That's all well and good but at the end he was a boxer foremost and not a particularly good one, there are plenty of salt of the earth types about who happened to be very good at what they did without half the admiration. Personal perception of Cooper was that of a prat clinging to a not so great past.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 May 2015, 4:41 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:

Imagine this guy won the Election.  Would this be the best Britain has gotto offer?  BTW has the Off-Topic section bitten the dust.

fav Brit/Irish Fighter ever - Page 2 Ed_Miliband_and_his_740921a

Gerry adams is what Britain needs.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 07 May 2015, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 07 May 2015, 4:46 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:That's all well and good but at the end he was a boxer foremost and not a particularly good one, there are plenty of salt of the earth types about who happened to be very good at what they did without half the admiration. Personal perception of Cooper was that of a prat clinging to a not so great past.
According to you he was a prat, but he was before your time, it say's it all, we'll leave it at that.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 07 May 2015, 4:49 pm

I'm going on any appearance I saw of him before his death, the pathetic reaction to the better Bugner rightfully beating him, living off that knock down, having more excuses than i've had hot dinners and his holier than thou attitude to modern boxing; that is why I think the guy is a prat.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 07 May 2015, 5:00 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I'm going on any appearance I saw of him before his death, the pathetic reaction to the better Bugner rightfully beating him, living off that knock down, having more excuses than i've had hot dinners and his holier than thou attitude to modern boxing; that is why I think the guy is a prat.
Take a look at Bugners reaction when Gibbs raises his arm, most surprised man in the arena, do you just like trying to antagonize  and argue for the sake of it, or is it just in your nature.

Hopefully someone else will respond to your Cooper post I'm done with it.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 07 May 2015, 5:02 pm

I genuinely don't think Cooper is all that and I genuinely think Bugner deserved to win that fight, the surprise came from actually getting a decision over Cooper in England nothing to do with not thinking he had won. That one sided documentary said he was amazing so he must be.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 May 2015, 5:05 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I genuinely don't think Cooper is all that and I genuinely think Bugner deserved to win that fight, the surprise came from actually getting a decision over Cooper in England nothing to do with not thinking he had won. That one sided documentary said he was amazing so he must be.

Harry Carpenter wasn't it ?????................

His commentary of Tyson-Bruno is the worst fight commentary I've ever heard in my life !!............Absolutely disgraceful..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 May 2015, 8:45 pm

Cooper bugner was a close fight. It certainly wasn't a highway robbery. The fact that the baying mob were cheering on our 'enery and Harry carpenter's sycophantic commentary made it out to be the crime of the century. Sentimental tosh for a hero in his last fight. That fight and its result cast bugner as the villain. It made him the real loser long term.

Cooper may have been basically  a nice guy, I never met him, but I'm happy to believe he was. In truth though, he became a national hero because of 1 punch. Nothing else. He had an excuse for every defeat... 'blinded by the sun' against Johanson. And he made it seem only cuts denied him greatness. Truth is Bugner's losing effort against a close to prime joe Frazier is a performance level up from anything cooper did in the ring. Even if joe's borderline pacifism regularly stank the place out.

Cooper didn't speak to harry Gibbs for 15 years after the bugner fight. Now that's a chip (even if there had been a libel case after the fight)  

I've ragged on cooper a bit in the past probably a bit unfairly, and I found the 'splash it on all over' persona a bit cheesey but I'm sure he has his redeeming features ...  He certainly wasn't perfect though, in my most humble of opinions. But then so few of us are Whistle

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 May 2015, 11:16 pm

milkyboy wrote: Truth is Bugner's losing effort against a close to prime joe Frazier is a performance level up from anything cooper did in the ring. Even if joe's borderline pacifism regularly stank the place out.:

Obvious rebuttal is Cooper came closer to beating Ali than Bugner did.............

Ali is a better heavy...than frazier !!

"He lost better than him".......Scraping the barrel......What bollox !!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 07 May 2015, 11:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:

Blimey you commies are touchy Very Happy Whistle

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 May 2015, 1:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote: Truth is Bugner's losing effort against a close to prime joe Frazier is a performance level up from anything cooper did in the ring. Even if joe's borderline pacifism regularly stank the place out.:

Obvious rebuttal is Cooper came closer to beating Ali than Bugner did.............

Obvious rebuttal if you haven't watched both fights beefster! Bugner was inconsistent but at his best a better fighter than cooper.

Good to know that comparing performances in defeats (which I didn't to by the way) is scraping the barrel. We can now give equal weighting to duran being rolled like a drunk by hearns  as we do to, say, Leonard losing to duran. Very Happy

Anyway, Is this the new boxing board politics thread? Want to pick up that discussion we had about polls and the electability of ed miliband...  that we parked a few years back?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 May 2015, 1:06 pm

milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Obvious rebuttal if you haven't watched both fights beefster! Bugner was inconsistent but at his best a better fighter than cooper.

Good to know that comparing performances in defeats (which I didn't to by the way) is scraping the barrel. We can now give equal weighting to duran being rolled like a drunk by hearns  as we do to, say, Leonard losing to duran. Very Happy

Anyway, Is this the new boxing board politics thread? Want to pick up that discussion we had about polls and the electability of ed miliband...  that we parked a few years back?

If you were a Man...I'd take you outside !!.

PS..Don't confuse me with an Ed Miliband fan..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 08 May 2015, 1:25 pm

Not of my era, but I think it's a combination of factors with Cooper when it comes to his long-lasting appeal and popularity. I'm sure he was a good bloke overall and he had charisma with a congenial nature. Perfect for endorsements and all that 'splash it all over' stuff.

He's fortunate that Ali's star shone so brightly, because the fact that he was able to floor him in the middle of getting cut to ribbons twice seems to totally airbrush out the fact that he openly and categorically said he wanted nothing to do with either of Liston or Frazier. He inexplicably turned down a fight against Patterson when Floyd still held the title, too. The fact that he fought the greatest Heavy of all probably makes him an automatic take-on-all-comers kind of guy to a lot of people who haven't thought to dig a bit deeper (or who just don't want to), when in reality he wasn't.

He also had a manager who certainly cared for him and had his best interests at heart (never a given in boxing) in the shape of Jim Wicks who helped the myth that he was robbed against Ali grow, and who carefully and skilfully found a way to have Cooper avoid Chuvalo for years on end when Chuvalo was mandatory to 'Enry's Commonwealth title. Also worth noting that Cooper was a Londoner who came not all that long after a golden era for boxing on these shores when the likes of Freddie Mills and Randy Turpin were genuine household names and boxers were often better known than footballers, even if they weren't operating at world level. A product of his times in that respect.

That one left hook is probably the biggest factor, albeit he did go beyond the call of duty in terms of what we come to expect from celebrities in terms of charity work and the like. I agree that his attitude towards Bugner and Gibbs was ridiculous, mind you, although I thought he was hard done by to drop that particular verdict.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 May 2015, 1:31 pm

I imagine Cooper's biggest plus was that he didn't stink like a turd like Bugner did....

Hadn't Cooper been British heavyweight champ for ten years of and on..............when he lost to Bugner in a contentious decision...??

Doesn't really fill one with confidence Bugner beats a prime version does it ??

So he won four rounds against Frazier..............Let's exult Tillis for doing the same against Tyson........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next