The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Cardiff Blues

+7
bedfordwelsh
Pot Hale
SecretFly
The Saint
VinceWLB
wales606
Chunky Norwich
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scarlets v Cardiff Blues - Page 2 Empty Scarlets v Cardiff Blues

Post by Chunky Norwich Sun 10 May 2015, 10:14 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm not able to go to this derby game due to the ridiculous kick off time. But it's on s4c in 40 mins.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Cardiff Blues - Page 2 Empty Re: Scarlets v Cardiff Blues

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 May 2015, 4:44 am

Griff wrote:But was it forced by our competitors to end Pro12 interest in Europe?  Really?!  I don't see how the changes mean that Leinster and Munster, for example, are now not contenders for Europe?  How does it cripple them?  That's what I'm missing!

???

It doesn't cripple them but what was the accusation thrown at them?  Where were the accusations coming from?  What reasons did PRL and LNR give for wanting to end ERC?  Yes, more commercial control for clubs was one of them.  But it certainly wasn't the only reason that was chanted during the big debates of last year with comments from PRL McCafferty and some of his AP team owners.

We're not going to go over old ground now, Griff (that would be more echoes!) but you read more than enough last year, I'm sure, to know what the different parties attached to European competition think of each other and each others motives.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 4:56 am

SecretFly wrote:
Griff wrote:But was it forced by our competitors to end Pro12 interest in Europe?  Really?!  I don't see how the changes mean that Leinster and Munster, for example, are now not contenders for Europe?  How does it cripple them?  That's what I'm missing!

???

It doesn't cripple them but what was the accusation thrown at them?  Where were the accusations coming from?  What reasons did PRL and LNR give for wanting to end ERC?  Yes, more commercial control for clubs was one of them.  But it certainly wasn't the only reason that was chanted during the big debates of last year with comments from PRL McCafferty and some of his AP team owners.

We're not going to go over old ground now, Griff (that would be more echoes!) but you read more than enough last year, I'm sure, to know what the different parties attached to European competition think of each other and each others motives.

I steered well clear of those debates, Fly! But I can't expect you to go back over it. And it's not the appropriate thread (sorry Scarlets v Blues fans). I was just picking up on your comment that the changes were forced by our competitors to end Pro12 interest in Europe. Whether that's your opinion, a commonly held view or one of many conspiracies on here or in the media, even if it's true I just can't see how it would work in practice. Maybe I'm naive but the only real changes for the Pro12 are slightly less representation (from the gash teams) and a bit more of an ordered (in terms of league table) merit based qualification system. The only way it would end Pro12 interest in Europe would be if they stopped our best teams getting in. But that has not happened.

I think I'll mosey on over to those old threads and do some catch-up reading...

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 May 2015, 5:04 am

Griff wrote:

I steered well clear of those debates, Fly!  

Good man Wink Sensible!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 9:04 am

Griff wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:I was impressed by Treviso results in Ireland in their last 2 games. I have been thinking they could shock Scarlets next week.

It would not be a shock.  After them man shaming us at PYS on the final weekend two seasons ago (when we needed a win to secure a play off spot), I think we know exactly what to expect.

I remember that SS. Didn't you concede 50?  At home?!  They have in the past had the knack of dishing out some good beatings, Treviso!

Don't remember the score, but I know Kris Burton was quality that day.

They're a different team now though.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 May 2015, 10:14 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Griff wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:I was impressed by Treviso results in Ireland in their last 2 games. I have been thinking they could shock Scarlets next week.

It would not be a shock.  After them man shaming us at PYS on the final weekend two seasons ago (when we needed a win to secure a play off spot), I think we know exactly what to expect.

I remember that SS. Didn't you concede 50?  At home?!  They have in the past had the knack of dishing out some good beatings, Treviso!

Don't remember the score, but I know Kris Burton was quality that day.

They're a different team now though.

I don't remember the score, but I remember there being a standing ovation for the Treviso team at the end of the night as they did their lap of honour (and I also remember their winger doing a one-armed handstand). They were indeed a very different side then, and one that could have been pushing the play off spots themselves. However with that loss in mind, I am pretty sure the Scarlets will be going there with a game plan tailored towards not losing by more than 7pts, as opposed to trying to blow them away with a bp victory.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 11 May 2015, 10:25 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I am pretty sure the Scarlets will be going there with a game plan tailored towards not losing by more than 7pts, as opposed to trying to blow them away with a bp victory.

Isn't that asking for trouble?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 12 May 2015, 3:14 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I am pretty sure the Scarlets will be going there with a game plan tailored towards not losing by more than 7pts, as opposed to trying to blow them away with a bp victory.

Isn't that asking for trouble?

I probably didn't word that right. I meant more of a smash it up the middle, kick to the corners, and slot over the pens, as opposed to an offloading game.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 12 May 2015, 3:53 am

Only 2 years ago

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/12363.php#Kiufs1KvVDBp9KzG.97

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 13 May 2015, 11:42 am

Scarlets made it difficult for themselves by blowing the game against Edinburgh at the PYS. If they win against Treviso it will be their third win in a row away from home but only three away wins all season!

If they do get into European Cup, it will be tough for them with an ever weakening squad highlighted by the loss of Priestland and the SA local Snyman, add them to internationals; North, JD2, Lamont, Turnbull, Smiler, Reed, who have all left in the last few seasons, it shows how the quality of the game in Wales is being eroded.

Whilst the dual contracts will help keep players in Wales, the restrictions in games will put pressures on the squad and realistically means that Regions will have to have a quality reserve (probably NWQ) for all dual contracted players.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2