The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May

+32
A Simply Mesmeric Try
wolfball
alive555
Standulstermen
ME-109
IanBru
profitius
Rory_Gallagher
brennomac
Sin é
Jenifer McLadyboy
Chunky Norwich
the-goon
21st Century Schizoid Man
Breadvan
BigGee
Nematode
marty2086
neilthom7
rodders
clivemcl
Don Alfonso
VinceWLB
Notch
The Great Aukster
RDW
jimbopip
SecretFly
Pete330v2
cakeordeath
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
36 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 May 2015, 9:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Glasgo13                  Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Ulster11
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby
Saturday 16 May 2015
KO: 15:00
Chateau Soapdodger, Glasgow

Live on Sky Sports

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 31st competition game)
Assistant Referees: Neil Paterson, Sam Grove-White (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: Paul Minto (SRU)
TMO: Jim Yuille (SRU)

A. Head to Head

25 Played 25
11 Wins 13
13 Losses 11
1 Draws 1
40 Tries 46
28 Conversions 31
62 Penalties 65
6 Drop Goals 0
460 Points 487
26 Avg. Age 27

B. Form

Sat 11 Oct 2014 - Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 18 Apr 2014 - Glasgow Warriors 27 - 9 Ulster Rugby

Fri 13 Sep 2013 - Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

C. Teams

Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Amy_ma10
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Richie Vernon
12. Peter Horne
11. Sean Lamont
10. Finn Russell
9. Niko Matawalu

1. Ryan Grant  
2. Dougie Hall
3. Rossouw de Klerk
4. Jonny Gray
5. Al Kellock (Captain)
6. Josh Strauss
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Adam Ashe

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Gordon Reid
18. Mike Cusack
19. Leone Nakarawa
20. Ryan Wilson
21. Henry Pyrgos
22. Duncan Weir
23. Peter Murchie

Ulster Rugby
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Kiera_10
(15-9): L Ludik; R Scholes, S Arnold, S McCloskey, M Allen, I Humphreys, P Marshall;

(1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, R Lutton, L Stevenson, F van der Merwe, C Ross, C Henry (C), R Diack

Replacements (16-23): R Best, K McCall, B Ross, I Henderson, R Wilson, R Pienaar, P Jackson, T Bowe.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 15 May 2015, 10:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May

Post by brennomac Fri 15 May 2015, 1:40 pm

Wonder will now Sky regret picking this game for live TV. Had planned on watching it if Ulster had put out a full team, think will watch the Munster-Dragons game now - or Connacht-Ospreys if I can find a way of hacking in to S4C or BBC Wales whichever it's on.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 16 May

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 1:53 pm

Sin é wrote:Go away out of that - you've just thrown the towel in. That is something like 9 or 10 changes from last week.

Twelve. But only six unenforced. Still very clearly saving guys for the semi-final.

That said, I think Munster thought Ulster had thrown the towel in with a similar selection this time last year and we all remember how that turned out! Doubt Glasgow will make the same mistake Smile

Last edited by Notch on Fri 15 May 2015, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 15 May 2015, 1:54 pm

Just thought, for Dougie Hall and Al Kellock this is the "Testimonial Game: 2"

Will there be a third?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 May 2015, 1:54 pm

[quote="George Carlin"]Just to write that Glasgow side in plain English:
quote]

That's rich that is coming from a member of the legal profession. Or that's coming from a rich member of the legal profession that is.

However, I am unimpressed with Ulster's transparent tactic of pretending they have written off the fixture and are just going through the motions. Yeah right. Whichever 15 they put out will fight for every blade of grass.

Also, I still have a sneaky feeling Glasgow will finish top and play Ulster the following week. I wonder how many of the 30 starting tomorrow will start that match.

p.s. George, you mentioned earlier how some comic lines stay in your head forever...
W.C. Fields, "It was a woman that drove me to drink. I'll be a son of a gun, I forgot to thank her." RedWine

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2015, 2:01 pm

“If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.”

W.C. Fields

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 15 May 2015, 2:05 pm

jimbopip wrote:

However, I am unimpressed with Ulster's transparent tactic of pretending they have written off the fixture and are just going through the motions. Yeah right. Whichever 15 they put out will fight for every blade of grass.

Spot on. I promise any neutral who tunes in to Sky Sports on tomorrow, they will see 15 men in white busting a gut. Probably moreso the likes of Warwick, Herring, Lutton, Stevenson, Diack, Marshall, Arnold, McCloskey and Scholes.

In fact, if not given enough respect, and iHumph plays one of his rare blinders, who the hell knows how this game could finish...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 15 May 2015, 2:06 pm

Sin é wrote:Go away out of that - you've just thrown the towel in. That is something like 9 or 10 changes from last week.

Team that beat Munster in Thomond Park last season...

15 Craig Gilroy
14 David McIlwaine
13 Mike Allen
12 Stuart McCloskey
11 Rory Scholes
10 James McKinney
9 Michael Heaney
1 Callum Black
2 Rob Herring
3 Andrew Warwick
4 Lewis Stevenson
5 Dan Tuohy
6 Michael McComish
7 Sean Doyle
8 Nick Williams

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 15 May 2015, 2:07 pm

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 May 2015, 2:08 pm

Now Sin é, you should know better. Cast your mind back to what happened when we last sent a Ravens side down to munster Very Happy idea

EDIT: Don got there before me............and did a better job of it mad

Last edited by Munchkin on Fri 15 May 2015, 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 May 2015, 2:09 pm

"We were marooned for fourteen days with nothing to eat or drink but food and water."
Was another of his. As was
"I love the patter od tiny feet around the house. There's nothing to beat having a midget for a butler."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 2:14 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:

Team that beat Munster in Thomond Park last season...

15 Craig Gilroy
14 David McIlwaine
13 Mike Allen
12 Stuart McCloskey
11 Rory Scholes
10 James McKinney
9 Michael Heaney
1 Callum Black
2 Rob Herring
3 Andrew Warwick
4 Lewis Stevenson
5 Dan Tuohy
6 Michael McComish
7 Sean Doyle
8 Nick Williams

I think the team we've named for this one is marginally better. Chris Henry and Robbie Diack are improvements over Doyle and Williams, Paul Marshall is better than Heaney (although Heaney played a blinder in that match) back three is much the same. Unfortunately when we have guys like Humphreys and Clive Ross, there are a few passengers but stay in touch for 50 minutes and honestly the cavalry can make a difference.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Fri 15 May 2015, 2:20 pm

Can imagine Ospreys not massively impressed with Ulster putting out a team largely composed of reserves. Mind you if Glasgow, Ospreys and Munster all get 5pts at the weekend (by no means a certainty), will mean that Ulster would avoid an away Munster SF. Going back to Glasgow or to Ospreys with a full team not easy but think Ulster would prefer to avoid going to Thomond.

Bookies have Glasgow, Ospreys and Munster having easy wins, Glasgow at 1-6, Munster at 1-14 and Ospreys 1-3 with a 11 pt spread on Glasgow, 16pt spread on Munster and 7pt spread on Ospreys.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 May 2015, 2:38 pm

I am looking forward to seeing how Arnold gets on!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 May 2015, 2:55 pm

All eyes on the Bangor bulldozer, he's the player Slammin Sam dreamed he would be for Bath.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 15 May 2015, 2:58 pm

I for one really want to see how good Allen is. Hoping for a big(ish) performance from him.

Maybe he could create 3 solo tries and then just knock the ball on each time over the line Hug

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 3:00 pm

Nematode wrote:Maybe he could create 3 solo tries and then just knock the ball on each time over the line Hug

Actually that sounds about right; doing everything in the lead-up brilliantly before finding a way not to score.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2015, 3:40 pm

Notch wrote:
Nematode wrote:Maybe he could create 3 solo tries and then just knock the ball on each time over the line Hug

Actually that sounds about right; doing everything in the lead-up brilliantly before finding a way not to score.

Excellent - so Edinburgh have finally got their own version of Sean Maitland!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 3:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Notch wrote:

Excellent - so Edinburgh have finally got their own version of Sean Maitland!!

Well, he's not that good. Really he's a decent outside centre doing a job as a winger.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2015, 3:55 pm

Well we need a decent outside centre more than a winger, with Sam Beard the only genuine 13 on the books ready to play at a decent level, so I suspect he'll get the majority of his game time at 13.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 3:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well we need a decent outside centre more than a winger, with Sam Beard the only genuine 13 on the books ready to play at a decent level, so I suspect he'll get the majority of his game time at 13.

He's a very good player. Good in the air, good in defence, good feet, picks good angles, stronger than he should be. It's just on the wing he lacks that killer finishing ability. Edinburgh need a 13, Ulster really don't and so I think him being shoehorned into that wing spot is one of the main reasons he's going.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 15 May 2015, 4:50 pm

Notch wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Well we need a decent outside centre more than a winger, with Sam Beard the only genuine 13 on the books ready to play at a decent level, so I suspect he'll get the majority of his game time at 13.

He's a very good player. Good in the air, good in defence, good feet, picks good angles, stronger than he should be. It's just on the wing he lacks that killer finishing ability. Edinburgh need a 13, Ulster really don't and so I think him being shoehorned into that wing spot is one of the main reasons he's going.

Can you say hes a centre still since he's played most of his rugby for Ulster on the wing?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 5:01 pm

If he's picked there for Edinburgh he will be.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2015, 5:17 pm

Edinburgh have apparently signed a contract with a massive Fijian winger and Will Helu, as well as having Dougie Fife and Tom Brown, and youngsters Damian Hoyland and James Farndale.

At 13 we have Sam Beard and Chris Dean (who has yet to play any meaningful rugby for the 1st XV), and occasionally we play Matt Scott at 13 out of position. I can't see Allen getting much time on the wing - I think we'll see him at 13.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 15 May 2015, 7:44 pm

Disappointing team from Ulster but some of those changes are not bad. They've a very strong bench so if they can hang on in there it could be interesting.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 15 May 2015, 8:01 pm

Like Jim, I simply don't believe this Ulster side will do anything but fight tooth and nail for the win.

This is probably my favourite fixture of the year, partly for the rugby, and partly because I get to run through my Stiff Little Fingers albums...

"I met her in no-mans-land, across the wire we were holdings hands
Hearts-a-bubble in the rubble, it was love at bomb-site..."
Sheer genius.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 May 2015, 8:07 pm

IanBru wrote:Like Jim, I simply don't believe this Ulster side will do anything but fight tooth and nail for the win.

This is probably my favourite fixture of the year, partly for the rugby, and partly because I get to run through my Stiff Little Fingers albums...

Sheer genius.

I would have thought you were way to young to appreciate Stiff Little Fingers!

I commend you on your taste in music!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 15 May 2015, 8:20 pm

BigGee wrote:
IanBru wrote:Like Jim, I simply don't believe this Ulster side will do anything but fight tooth and nail for the win.

Sheer genius.

I would have thought you were way to young to appreciate Stiff Little Fingers!

I commend you on your taste in music!
thumbsup

You know, with 12 changes from the Ulster side we were expecting to face could we perhaps say this was... an Alternative Ulster?

I'll get my coat. My awesome coat.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 15 May 2015, 9:15 pm

Ianbru you are a man of fine taste, I too commend you and also thankyou for putting the SLF on here, nice one Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 15 May 2015, 11:21 pm

SLF - -briliant! The NI Clash, Bru ya old rocker ye ! Now if we could only get a Warriors /Ramones reference ? ! Headscratch Oh well here goes for tomorrow - HEY HO LETS GO etc etc

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 15 May 2015, 11:39 pm

MF Luvvies could look for a Pet Shop Boys reference but then they kind of sum up the MFL mission statement tbh

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 15 May 2015, 11:45 pm

I see that the old prejudices in Ulster are alive and well. Can't bear to see their Munster brethren getting a home semi...so giving up the ghost. Losers...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 May 2015, 9:18 am

Of course, ME. We are doing what's best for us just to stop Munster getting a home semi......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 May 2015, 10:21 am

Townsend has discovered our cunning plan mad

Glasgow Warriors coach Gregor Townsend: "Ulster's Rotary club don't fool us, we'll be on our guard"

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 16 May 2015, 10:57 am

Go (as per Public Service Broadcasting) the Glasgow Warriors

Whatever It Takes

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 16 May 2015, 11:01 am

ME-109 wrote:I see that the old prejudices in Ulster are alive and well. Can't bear to see their Munster brethren getting a home semi...so giving up the ghost. Losers...

The fact that you mention this shows everyone where the prejudice lies.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 May 2015, 11:44 am

Sheer genius.

Ah Bru Bro, top marks for reminding us of the SLFs. I saw them playing a popular music concert at the Glasgow Apollo. They were supporting the Tom Robinson Band. Both bands encored with a cover version; Tom "Glad To Be Gay" Robinson thought he was being ironic covering Lou Reed's "Waiting For My Man" but the Fingers went one better by doing the old country and western classic "I'm Proud To Be An Okie From Westcokie". Try pogoing to that.

Warriors by 12 today, with a 5 points haul. Braveheart

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 May 2015, 11:57 am

Very difficult to predict a score today. I think Glasgow will win, but there's a chance if we can stay close for 50 mins we might actually win. If we can keep it close....

If it's pouring down Glasgow will find it very difficult to earn that bonus point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 16 May 2015, 11:58 am

Seems like it's going to be overcast but not necessarily wet.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 16 May 2015, 12:34 pm

Whatever happens I solemnly swear not to complain about any ref or TMO having just watched the waratahs v sharks. 

Hold me to it lads.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 16 May 2015, 2:22 pm

genie of internet i order you to provide well buffed link ghost

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 16 May 2015, 2:42 pm

Will hopefully catch the second half.

Good luck to everyone.

And just let me be absolutely clear, I don't mean it.
Braveheart
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 16 May 2015, 2:44 pm

alive555 wrote:genie of internet i order you to provide well buffed link ghost

I have 2 laptops on the go, one for the Connacht match, one for this one. Really would be happy to pay for a proper global online rugby package, but no one does one, so we need to use dodgy links..

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 16 May 2015, 2:48 pm

Interesting afternoon ahead. The dream scenario is of course that we get an unlikely win and Ospreys lose giving us a home draw.

But the realistic best case scenario is that Munster and Ospreys both win- then the best case scenario is the result that gets us to Swansea away, not Limerick or back to Glasgow.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 16 May 2015, 2:51 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Whatever happens I solemnly swear not to complain about any ref or TMO having just watched the waratahs v sharks. 

Hold me to it lads.

What happened? Lol.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 16 May 2015, 2:53 pm

link anyone ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 16 May 2015, 2:55 pm

got link already ! Very Happy

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 16 May 2015, 3:01 pm

alive555 wrote:link anyone ?

Yes please!
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 16 May 2015, 3:04 pm

3 minutes, 3 major mistakes from Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 16 May 2015, 3:19 pm

Got a link for me? Going mad next door to a pub showing Embra game with no sound.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 16 May 2015, 3:25 pm

Thats what we get for picking even those three big guns! Key player out for the playoffs
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next