The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+39
Stella
Azzy
CFCNick
TRUSSMAN66
wadey101
sportform
MIG
lfc91
Breadvan
hampo17
socal1976
Mat
wheelchair1991
NickisBHAFC
Soldier_Of_Fortune
compelling and rich
Holymiky
Nakatomi Plaza
Lowlandbrit
Roberto Baggio
FIFA Diva
Steffan
Ent
kingraf
Liam
LivinginItaly
BamBam
Marky
FootballLight
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
westisbest
Hammersmith harrier
GSC
nadeem2099
Fernando
Hero
43 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Hero Thu 21 May - 20:59

First topic message reminder :

Last one went well...

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Fernando Mon 25 May - 11:40

He will spend once he has sold Sissoko/Janmaat and Ayoze...is more likely....

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Guest Mon 25 May - 12:01

Obviously, I'm not stupid & won't get carried away by one statement from Ashley, but do think this has been a wake up call, that will see slightly more summer investment, than the norm. Throw in the fact Ashley knows the new mega PL TV deal comes into effect for the 2016/2017 season, should also motivate him to invest this summer & make sure the club is still in the PL at that time & rewarded with what is reported to be anything up to £100m & beyond.

As for the player exodus, I can't see it, other than Tiote, Riviere & Coloccini types leaving. Nobody will touch Sissoko @ £20m, Janmaat has a lengthy contract & I think it's a season or two too early for Perez to jump to the bench of a bigger side.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 25 May - 16:19

Dolph, whats the "West Ham way" out of interest?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 25 May - 16:23

Hero wrote:Any Liverpool fans know if Kolo is staying in the summer? His son wants to join my son's football team after he came along for a kick about with him this morning, plays like his Uncle, never seen leg muscles like it on a kid of his age before, had other kids bouncing off him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3096116/Kolo-Toure-close-signing-new-12-month-Liverpool-deal-Anfield.html

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 25 May - 17:12

Cheers, his lad is an absolute tank already and he seemed to love playing with my lad as they complimented each other well with styles of play.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 May - 18:04

WE'RE BACK BABY
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May - 18:14

I did say you would (can't find the thread I said you would... But I did say you would!)

#NorwichRelegationParty2016
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 May - 18:29

kingraf wrote:

#NorwichRelegationParty2016

This is a party that certainly won't be cancelled

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 25 May - 18:38

Was hoping it would be Boro.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May - 18:54

GSC wrote:Dolph, whats the "West Ham way" out of interest?

Its that time of year where the press will get as many quotes from silly billy's like Fergie slating the phrase.

By a basic principle it's going out to win every game by attempting to play attractive football. Its a basic feeling of rather lose trying to win than draw when trying to draw.

Former West Ham and England manager Ron Greenwood eloquently explained the West Ham way in 1977 when he said: 'The crowds at West Ham haven't been rewarded by results but keep turning up because of the good football they see. 'Other clubs will suffer from the old bugbear that results count more than anything. This has been the ruination of English football.'

Evidenced by the booing of the side when we beat Hull 2-1 last year. The football was awful, we didn't deserve to win. Three points, one point, who cares? People are gonna pay to see us wherever we are, but being entertained makes it a lot easier win or lose.

The depressing part of this season is we played like that early on, then we got a couple injuries and Sam got scared. He lost himself that job.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 25 May - 18:57

Would you prefer to end up next season in 18th place having played attractive football or grind out 17th?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May - 19:03

18th. The owners would say 17th, and its their money so I don't blame them. There's some caveat to that as I can understand doing it in the last 5-10 games, but Sam had a bit of "well, if we grind out points now then we won't be scared later" idealism, which doesn't make watching football very entertaining.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 25 May - 20:32

Do you think West Ham can keep going and keep improving and eventually challenge for Champions League places in the next few years?

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 May - 21:25

You could ask the same thing about Southampton or Stoke, it's impossible to answer, but you'd side with a No.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May - 21:44

No, the Premier League as a contest is over. You can break the top 6 if you're lucky, but Spurs got their timing perfectly when they got ahead of the pack and, alongside the continued wealth of Liverpool, there are only two teams that will break the top four without extreme investment. I think we will have a chance of breaking into the top 6 once every 20 years maybe, but we could also go mental and go down. We're the ones to go up there and compete alongside Southampton, I'd think, but thats the best it will get in the next 10-20 years.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May - 21:54

Southampton could have made top four were it not for them essentially tanking the last eight games.

Seven points in eight games?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 25 May - 22:02

Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure will stay at the club after they told him he was "too important to let go", according to the player's agent

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May - 22:49

kingraf wrote:Southampton could have made top four were it not for them essentially tanking the last eight games.

Seven points in eight games?

With no pressure on them the clubs above eased off too. They won't make it any time soon, even with their money.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 25 May - 22:58

Is 17 points in 8 games a realistic target for Southampton at the end of the season, would probably have needed to be more were they actually within touching distance.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May - 23:00

We can all say a big welcome to Norwich, and thanks for a million quid to each team as the league now doesnt have to pay their parachute payments. Cheers.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 May - 23:09

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:We can all say a big welcome to Norwich, and thanks for a million quid to each team as the league now doesnt have to pay their parachute payments. Cheers.

Norwich City - helping you buy players to beat us with since 25th May 2015  thumbsup
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 26 May - 0:56

Your silly season starts now.

Otamendi wants out of Valencia and United are on high alert. Alves' Barca situation is also of interest to LVG.

Milner and Ings will join Liverpool, who are likely to retain Rodgers. Joining them will be the man signed last window, Divock Origi. Origi has this week been placed into Ligue 1's Worst team of the Season by French writers.

Arsenal are chasing Vidal. Good to know we can have another summer of Vidal rumours.

My favourite is that Bournemouth are eyeing up both Dwight Gayle and Jermain Defoe.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 9:20

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Your silly season starts now.

Otamendi wants out of Valencia and United are on high alert. Alves' Barca situation is also of interest to LVG.

Milner and Ings will join Liverpool, who are likely to retain Rodgers. Joining them will be the man signed last window, Divock Origi. Origi has this week been placed into Ligue 1's Worst team of the Season by French writers.Arsenal are chasing Vidal. Good to know we can have another summer of Vidal rumours.

My favourite is that Bournemouth are eyeing up both Dwight Gayle and Jermain Defoe.
I don't mind, we bought Lambert, Lallana and Lovren based on them being excellent for Southampton last season and that hasn't worked out brilliantly, has it? I dunno, maybe that's the way forward, buy players who massively under performed and they'll turn it around for us next season. The added bonus being that most of these types of players already play for Liverpool so it shouldn't cost us a lot. Job's a good 'un!

6-1...word's f*cking fail me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 26 May - 9:34

"I'll go if the owners want me to go"

Yeah, that's generally how it works Brendan
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 9:45

Before Sunday I thought he might be safe but that 6-1 defeat could tip the balance although I think Rodgers has enough genuine reasons to be able to blag his way out of it.

No recognized/fit/any f*cking use striker all season and a bunch of players lacking the mental fortitude to drag themselves up by their bootstraps after the loss to Utd which sent them spiraling out of control and European contention although the manager's job is to get their heads right.

Still, if Pellegrini's job is safe maybe the Kloppites will be out in force in the coming months

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 26 May - 9:51

If this season hasn't deflated Brendans ego it may be time to part ways
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 10:02

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Your silly season starts now.

Milner and Ings will join Liverpool, who are likely to retain Rodgers. Joining them will be the man signed last window, Divock Origi. Origi has this week been placed into Ligue 1's Worst team of the Season by French writers.

Arsenal are chasing Vidal. Good to know we can have another summer of Vidal rumours.

Havent seen anything of Otamendi, any good? We really need a commanding centre back and would hate for us to throw money at another Rojo, Jones, Smalling type defender (who arent totally bad, just need somebody world class alongside them to make them better)

Alves would be decent for a season maybe, would rather go younger and think long term though, but so long as we dont start next season woth Valencia at right back am sure it'll be an improvement

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 10:11

Otamendi is a solid defender, more of a Vidic type. He's trying to force the £35m move apparently, looking for a big pay day. At 27, has good years ahead of him, although the fact he's not even first choice for Argentina might say something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 26 May - 13:17

We should go hard or not bother - wasted so much money over the last 5 years on crappy players.

Identify who we think the best centre half around is and go after them, not people who have contractual issues etc

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 26 May - 13:24

GSC wrote:If anyone wants a laugh Garth Crooks team of the season plays 3-1-3-3

king kenny managed to get 4 liverpool players in his Shocked Shocked

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 26 May - 14:31

West Ham have qualified for the Europa League. Our season now starts in 37 days.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 14:35

DZ, thoughts on this? Sack it off early or give it a go & harm the league form. Surely you can't be playing silly games like giving the Europa a go, given the negative effect it has proven to have upon sides in that season & given your impending move to the Olympic Stadium.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 14:40

i'd exit pretty early if i was WHU, you can't jeopardise league form, given how important it is to stay up next year for the stadium move the new tv deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 26 May - 14:45

compelling and rich wrote:

picard

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 14:52

Lots of calls for Rodgers to resign but none for Liverpool to refund the supporters who travelled to Stoke on Sunday to witness that car crash of a performance?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 26 May - 14:57

Last season at the Boleyn, some European games under the lights. Worth a crack if you ask me, football is entertainment after all.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 26 May - 15:05

compelling and rich wrote:

Sterling ahead of Sanchez! Remarkable man.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 26 May - 15:22

More rumours:

Benzema is a United target (Guardian)
Alves is top of the transfer shortlist (Telegraph)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 26 May - 15:25

Don't fancy Alves, old and not that good in the first place.

West Ham should give the Europa league a good go, after all european qualification is the aspiration for most teams - hate the logic of not bothering with it after striving all the previous season to qualify.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 15:32

alves is pretty old now, hasnt got the legs anymore, especially for the higher tempo pl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 26 May - 15:37

I would much prefer Clyne over Alves, an English long term option who seems to be improving each season, keeping a core of young English players is an important factor. I don't want us to become a team of overpaid mercenaries looking to fund their retirement, staying true to the philosophy of both Busby and Ferguson takes preference over throwing money at the problem.

Ent, the goal of most teams is finishing as high up the table as possible, I can't imagine West Ham or Stoke go into a season hoping to screw up next season because of the Champions League, it does more harm than good. It has over the past four years killed off any hopes Tottenham had of getting into the top four and was a saving grace that we were so bad last year we even failed to qualify for it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 26 May - 15:53

Javier Hernandez returns to United after Madrid loan.

I always enjoy the media they come up with crap 9 times out of 10.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 May - 15:57

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:West Ham have qualified for the Europa League. Our season now starts in 37 days.

#westhamrelegationparty2015/16 is so on
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 26 May - 16:00

Fernando wrote:Javier Hernandez returns to United after Madrid loan.

I always enjoy the media they come up with crap 9 times out of 10.

Sent Hernandez out of loan so we could bring Falcao in, didn't work out well for any party involved that.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 26 May - 16:14

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 CF8HhZXVAAAaPo2

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 26 May - 16:35

Arsenal fans, cos trolls are cool

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 26 May - 16:39

What is it with Arsenal fans and these polls?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 26 May - 17:16

Word on the street is Quique Flores will manage Watford next season in the Premier League. Jokanovic allegedly wanted a 250% pay rise.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 May - 17:22

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:Word on the street is Quique Flores will manage Watford next season in the Premier League. Jokanovic allegedly wanted a 250% pay rise.

That's quite a blow - Jokanovic managed to do a similar sort of job to what Neil did with us - got the underperforming quality working to their potential
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May - 19:16

We've released Mulumbu & Baird. Anichebe also to follow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next