The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a casual, I think?

+12
milkyboy
DuransHorse
Dipper Brown
kingraf
John Bloody Wayne
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
mikeymax71
AlexHuckerby
Steffan
3fingers
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm a casual, I think? Empty I'm a casual, I think?

Post by 3fingers Mon 25 May 2015, 3:25 pm

I seldom fork out for pay per view, don't have sky sports, box nation, and normally only watch a fight if I'm really in the mood. If I'm not, then, I'll just watch the highlights.

What is a casual? Is boxing the only sport with a misguided elite who refer to others as casuals?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

I'm a casual, I think? Empty Re: I'm a casual, I think?

Post by Steffan Mon 25 May 2015, 3:34 pm

No you are basically someone who has other stuff going in his life other than watching and paying for boxing. I didn't see the Chunky fight on Saturday as was on out the lash. I will also miss next weeks boxing as I am on a stag do horse racing

Calling someone a casual is what a boxing anorak does to feel good about ones self so I would ignore the snobs who think they know it all (which they probably do but that comes from years of no/unhappy lovelives and a considerable lack of friends)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 25 May 2015, 3:39 pm

Think we use the word casual because boxing is quite difficult to follow and people that don't follow it hardcore and understand reasons as to why certain fights can't happen. You seem to understand the sport so would not put you as a casual, boxing fans are elitist, probably more so than other sports fans but our sport isn't the same, not just got one governing body and everything is made clear. Its much murkier and difficult to understand for general sports fans so some of the ones that do understand its complexities have an elitist attitude.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 25 May 2015, 4:09 pm

I was watching boxing before the Huck was even born but I do not class myself as an elitist (although all my friends do see me as a boxing guru)

I am humble like that though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Mon 25 May 2015, 5:07 pm

The main thing is that you are a fan and everyone has an opinion and sometimes the majority will agree with you and on other occasions your view may differ to the consensus. Enjoy whatever way suits you.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 May 2015, 6:32 pm

Steffan wrote:No you are basically someone who has other stuff going in his life other than watching and paying for boxing. I didn't see the Chunky fight on Saturday as was on out the lash. I will also miss next weeks boxing as I am on a stag do horse racing

Calling someone a casual is what a boxing anorak does to feel good about ones self so I would ignore the snobs who think they know it all (which they probably do but that comes from years of no/unhappy lovelives and a considerable lack of friends)

I've got no real friends...............and an at times pretty monotonous family life..............But believe me I'd rather be at home than go out on the "lash" all the time.....that's even more depressing.

I'll be buying it sad person that I am !!.................and no you aren't a casual fan 3fingers..........

You care enough about the sport to comment on here.........A casual is someone who will just watch it because ....It's on !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 25 May 2015, 6:42 pm

The fact I enjoy staying in and watching boxing means I have no love life or friends?

It could however just be that i'm doing what I want to do and am no longer of an age where a relentless volley of alcohol is how I wish to spend my weekends.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 25 May 2015, 6:50 pm

I agree with you fellas going on on the lash all the time is no fun plus I am at an age now where one day of drinking takes me 3 days to recover. My point was that SOME people who accuse other people of being casuals are anoraks which is fine as each to their own but sometimes they are too quick to judge others. I would rather stay in and watch boxing as well with my feet up and about 6 bottles of Doombar and a bottle of Pinot Grigio and then once the boxing finishes I chuck on a record from one of my rather expensive vinyl collection

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 May 2015, 6:55 pm

I like to think as casual fans as the ones who talk boxing to you and you desperately try not to correct them after every sentence...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 25 May 2015, 7:07 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:I like to think as casual fans as the ones who talk boxing to you and you desperately try not to correct them after every sentence...
You get that in all sports mind. I am a member of a very expensive and lavish golf club and despite having a much better education than most of them there some of them like to think they are well to do and act like snobs. I would never act like that but boxing has it's fair share as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 May 2015, 7:11 pm

Steffan wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:I like to think as casual fans as the ones who talk boxing to you and you desperately try not to correct them after every sentence...
You get that in all sports mind. I am a member of a very expensive and lavish golf club and despite having a much better education than most of them there some of them like to think they are well to do and act like snobs. I would never act like that but boxing has it's fair share as well

There's being a snob and then there are conversations that start with, do you think Mayweather would beat Klitschko and its like......................... :|

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 May 2015, 7:12 pm

Had an argument with a guy at work years ago about Man City and he said If you don't go you aren't a real fan...

Guess by that logic Hampo is a real fan and we are all casuals....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 25 May 2015, 7:14 pm

Fans who do not wear a tie on fight night.

Personally I wear a three piece suit and sit on a shire horse in my living room..casuals prefer hoodie/trakkies and a Shetland pony.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 25 May 2015, 7:16 pm

I got told that Calzaghe was the first boxer ever to fight southpaw not long ago. Actually true. Also I was assured several times he beat Bute before Froch did.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 May 2015, 7:18 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Fans who do not wear a tie on fight night.

Personally I wear a three piece suit and sit on a shire horse in my living room..casuals prefer hoodie/trakkies and a Shetland pony.

laughing laughing laughing

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 May 2015, 7:19 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I got told that Calzaghe was the first boxer ever to fight southpaw not long ago. Actually true. Also I was assured several times he beat Bute before Froch did.

Yikes

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May 2015, 9:07 pm

Being a casual is a state of mind. After May-Pac a few people I know spoke to me about the fight. Here's a small sample of what was said, if the sentences sound familiar, you are probably a casual.

"Did you watch the match?"... It's called a fight.
"I got up at two, but the fight only started at five"... If you didn't realise there'd be an undercard... you are a casual.
"Mayweather won by anonymous decision"... To be fair there may be a bit of dyslexia linked with this one.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 May 2015, 9:09 pm

What do you call a fan who has Manny 5-1 up after 6 ?? Cool Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 25 May 2015, 9:13 pm

I know one girl who reckons 'Manny was robbed because Mayweather is rich and can bribe judges'

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May 2015, 9:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What do you call a fan who has Manny 5-1 up after 6 ?? Cool Wink

Don't know but what do you call a fan who thought Orlando Solis was a bum picked for nothing else other than to give Lomachencko a free title? Probably hadn't seen or watched Solis...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 May 2015, 9:19 pm

Someone said Solis was a bum ??.............What's a heavy doing fighting Lomo ??

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 25 May 2015, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 25 May 2015, 9:23 pm

It might be said that a casual would call Salido by the wrong name?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 May 2015, 9:24 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It might be said that a casual would call Salido by the wrong name?

Solis ain't that good but I wouldn't feed him to Lomo !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May 2015, 9:24 pm

Fatigue typo.

Orlando Salido.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 25 May 2015, 9:26 pm

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight did sum up what a casual fan is though to be honest, anyone who expect Hagler/Hearns is a casual fan.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May 2015, 9:27 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It might be said that a casual would call Salido by the wrong name?
It might be...

But I probably am a casual with international boxing. Haven't stayed up for a card other than May-Pac this year. Don't miss a local card in GP though
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 25 May 2015, 9:29 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight did sum up what a casual fan is though to be honest, anyone who expect Hagler/Hearns is a casual fan.
Yes I heard many people moan that they stayed up and paid for the fight and were left disappointed...disappointed by a fight and result any proper fan was expecting

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 26 May 2015, 1:59 pm

I'm 100% a casual. Never paid for a PPV personally and won't subscribe to a channel that shows boxing exclusively. Also much prefer football to boxing.

Having said that I don't know anyone in real life who's as interested in boxing as I am. Guess it's a fringe sport, in which case more casual fans, the better.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 1:48 pm

Fingers, I thought you once said you had boxed and trained boxers? I may be wrong, it may have been another poster.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Yep that's fingers. Doesn't think you should have an opinion on boxing unless you've boxed.

He doesn't understand that only 'expert' fans can see how open lomachenko is to a check hook.

For what its worth, I consider a casual fan of any sport to be someone who takes a passing interest in it.

Football fans call anyone who doesn't attend live matches a plastic. Rugby fans on forums gets snobby about people who only comment on internationals not club games. Fan 'Elitism' happens with every sport.

Boxing is an expensive minority sport to watch, but you can take an interest without subscribing to every channel and paying for ppv. When most people are referring to casual fans they're referring to people who only watch heavily marketed 'events' like froch groves, floyd manny etc. I'd imagine most of those people would consider themselves 'casual fans' anyway.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 22-2 Wed 27 May 2015, 2:27 pm

I actually end up enjoying the hype and the pre and post fight interviews more than the fighting most of the time. I think channels such as IFLM and ESNews do a great job of a)humanising the fighters and b)adding another dimension to something we have seen time and time again.

I'm a boxing fan to the point it messes with other aspects of my life (work - don't do enough, girlfriend - don't do her enough, studies - don't do any when I should!)

22-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 27 May 2015, 2:28 pm

That check hook debate was the most moronic of moronic debates there has ever been, ended with Strongy saying he was right because his incorrect interpretation of the punch was described by Hatton without the caveat of it being a check hook.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 2:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:That check hook debate was the most moronic of moronic debates there has ever been, ended with Strongy saying he was right because his incorrect interpretation of the punch was described by Hatton without the caveat of it being a check hook.

....When you consider we've debated (amongst others) whether the klitschko's are brother's; What was the rubberiest robbery; and whether prime mike tyson beats Godzilla, that's no meant feat.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 27 May 2015, 2:40 pm

Sh!t the bed, Wladimir Klitschko and Vitali Klitschko are brothers?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 2:48 pm

milkyboy wrote:Yep that's fingers. Doesn't think you should have an opinion on boxing unless you've boxed.

He doesn't understand that only 'expert' fans can see how open lomachenko is to a check hook.

For what its worth, I consider a casual fan of any sport to be someone who takes a passing interest in it.

Football fans call anyone who doesn't attend live matches a plastic. Rugby fans on forums gets snobby about people who only comment on internationals not club games. Fan 'Elitism' happens with every sport.

Boxing is an expensive minority sport to watch, but you can take an interest without subscribing to every channel and paying for ppv. When most people are referring to casual fans they're referring to people who only watch heavily marketed 'events' like froch groves, floyd manny etc. I'd imagine most of those people would consider themselves 'casual fans' anyway.

Cheers for the confirmation Milky.

I don't have Sky or Boxnation and rarely buy PPV's. The kids mean I don't have the cash and I tend to be up at the crack of dawn 7 days of the week. Floyd and Manny owe me a few hours kip as I'm still in deficit from earlier in the month. I'll never get those hours back now.

I love boxing though and the little time I have for sport I follow boxing. I probably am a casual compared to some on here but I occasionally listen in on the radio or stream on weekends ( legally, of course!! ), sometimes I even make a trip to the pub especially or chip in at someone else's house.

Maybe Fingers is one of those old, gnarled, ex-boxers stuck living in the 70's in a rundown apartment? He wakes up at 4am, cracks some eggs and downs them, goes to a musty gym and trains the upcoming kids before heading to a dim bar in the evening, then props it up whilst downing several Scotches. Occasionally he looks up at the old, brown, big back TV in the corner some boxer is training for an upcoming fight. He shouts/slurs "Yur a bum" before the landlord says ( whilst cleaning a dirty glass with spit and an old rag ) "Now, now, Fingers, We dun wunt no truble here t'night. Yuv ad enough. P'haps yud bettur be on yur way. Eh, fella?"

Maybe he can't watch fights because he can't work the TV remote after a hard bay getting his brittle hands battered on the pads? Who knows?

All I do know is if he is a casual, those kids need to find a new trainer.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 2:54 pm

You missed the bit about him punching frozen pig carcasses at the abattoir, but other than that I think you've captured the essence.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 27 May 2015, 3:03 pm

Boxings one of the easiest sports for someone to fling the term 'casual' around in. Any fool can go on youtube, scour the web for some undiscovered gem (or in other terms, some horrible looking boxers) and state it proves they know the sport inside out. Others have a genuine deep knowledge of the history and prestige of various belts, era's etc and then there's some that prefer the modern day game and so on.

Trying to belittle other fans is stupid and childish and makes you look the idiot rather than the other way round. Go on any forum and read around and you'll find some poor sod hounded off a board etc because the locals don't deem him 'knowledgable' enough. Try and educate someone instead of belittling them and then next time you've got another person to talk too about this sport that we all love.

And whilst 3F's said it really badly at the time, I learnt a lot more about the technical side of boxing by watching (and getting involved) with the kids being coached. I'm not saying it make s me better than anyone else but for me it gave me a better idea of the whys and how (especially with regards to movement)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 May 2015, 3:10 pm

Think it has to work both way Derby, The reason some newcomers get hounded off here is they usually come in with ignorant opinions that they don't really understand and stick stubbornly to it. There have been several new guys who've wanted to learn and share their opinion and you can tell they want to learn because they ask questions rather than belittle or argue.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 27 May 2015, 3:13 pm

Or the deleted scene where he faps to rigo v donaire

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 3:22 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Boxings one of the easiest sports for someone to fling the term 'casual' around in. Any fool can go on youtube, scour the web for some undiscovered gem (or in other terms, some horrible looking boxers) and state it proves they know the sport inside out. Others have a genuine deep knowledge of the history and prestige of various belts, era's etc and then there's some that prefer the modern day game and so on.

Trying to belittle other fans is stupid and childish and makes you look the idiot rather than the other way round. Go on any forum and read around and you'll find some poor sod hounded off a board etc because the locals don't deem him 'knowledgable' enough. Try and educate someone instead of belittling them and then next time you've got another person to talk too about this sport that we all love.

And whilst 3F's said it really badly at the time, I learnt a lot more about the technical side of boxing by watching (and getting involved) with the kids being coached. I'm not saying it make s me better than anyone else but for me it gave me a better idea of the whys and how (especially with regards to movement)

I actually agree with fingers about the insight you get from having participated in the sport. Seeing as the view renders my opinion worthless I've just chosen to ignore the point.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 27 May 2015, 3:25 pm

I agree with that too Shah but it's harder for a newcomer to the sport/board to get involved if people start throwing the tag around as an insult because they don't happen to agree with someones opinion.

It doesn't make your opinion worthless Milky, it's just a different way of looking at it sometimes.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 3:26 pm

Derbymanc wrote:I agree with that too Shah but it's harder for a newcomer to the sport/board to get involved if people start throwing the tag around as an insult because they don't happen to agree with someones opinion.

It doesn't make your opinion worthless Milky, it's just a different way of looking at it sometimes.

No, Milky's opinion is definitely worthless.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 27 May 2015, 3:28 pm

And yet so many experienced fighters are terrible pundits

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 May 2015, 3:33 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:And yet so many experienced fighters are terrible pundits

Catch 22. The best fighters who've fought the most know everything, this also means theyve taken more punches than anyone and are operating on muscle memory alone.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 3:35 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:I agree with that too Shah but it's harder for a newcomer to the sport/board to get involved if people start throwing the tag around as an insult because they don't happen to agree with someones opinion.

No, Milky's opinion is definitely worthless.

I agree. That maybe the only worthy opinion I've ever submitted here.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 27 May 2015, 3:36 pm

In fairness I loved George Foreman's commentary

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 3:36 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:And yet so many experienced fighters are terrible pundits

Catch 22. The best fighters who've fought the most know everything, this also means theyve taken more punches than anyone and are operating on muscle memory alone.

Valid point. What excuse do football pundits have? Too many headers? Too many beers? Both?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 3:38 pm

...Maybe they were all Cupid stunts to start with?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 3:41 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:In fairness I loved George Foreman's commentary

...and his grill!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 3:46 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:In fairness I loved George Foreman's commentary

...and his grill!
Apart from the fact that according George every HW whose fight he comments on is "the greatest of all time". Thought he was going to leap into the ring and ask for Lennox's hand in marriage at one point such was the magnitude of his fawning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next