The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs

+18
BoxingFan88
Valero's Conscience
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
rodders
rapidringsroad
Rowley
Lance
DuransHorse
Dipper Brown
kingraf
AdamT
Steffan
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
theanimal316
22 posters

Go down

Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs Empty Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs

Post by theanimal316 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:31 am

Does anyone follow him on Instagram (cannon_briggs)? The guy is unintentionally hilarious, I'm a converted fan now. His relentless yelling of let's go champ is hilarious.

Back on topic. Aside from that, I think him and Joshua would be a potentially good learning fight at the end of the year. He is in tremendous shape and would come with ambition of his own, as he is still chasing a fight with Wlad and Beyoncé Wilder as he calls him. For Joshua it gives him a former lineal HW champion on his record and the biggest name to date. My concern over the fight is that it is another mismatch: Briggs went 12 rounds last year with Love who looked terrified of Joshua and clueless in May. This should be over by 5 or 6 but could give him the most rounds yet.

Thought?

LET's GO CHAMP!

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs Empty Re: Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:39 am

Not a fight I'd like to see, really. First off, I like Briggs and he already took enough of a beatdown against Vitali to last a lifetime. Secondly, what credit is Joshua going to get for it? 'Former champion, been in with the best' and those kind of lines are all well and good but no sensible fan is going to get drawn in by it. I actually think stopping Johnson the way he did carries more weight and relevance than beating Briggs right now for Joshua, and even that hasn't particularly impressed some.

I'd actually feel a little sorry for both of them if this fight was made.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:42 am

I see your point Chris, but Joshua still hasn't been in with a world champion yet so I think he can still learn from that experience. Regarding Johnson, while Joshua was no doubt impressive, Johnson clearly had no ambition despite his talk. Glenn McCrory made a good point by saying that if Johnson was serious about the fight he'd have brought his own team over from the states.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 09 Jun 2015, 11:10 am

The vid Briggs made of when Wlad was on the river did make me laugh. Especially after he was making waves with his speed boat but and Wlad fell in Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 11:24 am

Haha yes was indeed funny Soldier. He also turned up at a restaurant where Wlad was tucking into his lunch and ended up nearly fighting.

He is clearly nuts and it reminds me of a Rocky Balboa scene

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 09 Jun 2015, 11:40 am

I think Wlad might lose his nut one day and hit him with the bare fist

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 09 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

Briggs is a disgrace to this sport. Wlad should not give him a shot at the title...and I mean that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 09 Jun 2015, 12:08 pm

Steffan wrote:Briggs is a disgrace to this sport. Wlad should not give him a shot at the title...and I mean that

"He would kill you to death, inside of 3 rounds."

"You're crazy!"

"What else is new."

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Jun 2015, 12:13 pm

theanimal316 wrote:I see your point Chris, but Joshua still hasn't been in with a world champion yet so I think he can still learn from that experience. Regarding Johnson, while Joshua was no doubt impressive, Johnson clearly had no ambition despite his talk.  Glenn McCrory made a good point by saying that if Johnson was serious about the fight he'd have brought his own team over from the states.
Not if the "World Champion" in question wasn't that great to begin with. Like Rowley says elsewhere, the lack of HW talent means that any HW these days is about three good wins away from being "the guy to breathe new life into the division" Smashing the f*ck out of Briggs will NOT be a good win even if the guy HAS been in with Lennox Lewis.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Jun 2015, 1:10 pm

At this stage of the game, we have to accept that the beating Vitali gave him as irreparably broken his head.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 09 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

'Beyoncé Wilder' has tickled me. I hope that sticks!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 09 Jun 2015, 3:05 pm

If Briggs had the body of Kevin Johnson but was performing the same way in all his recent performances against the same opposition, would anyone actually take notice of him? Even taking into account the hounding and stalking tactics he is employing?

This isn't Mr Universe.  Other than looking like a meat head he's washed up, fighting guys that don't have the ability to expose it, and I'd pick Kingpin to decision him.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:08 pm

Briggs aint mad, hes just trying to keep himself famous any way he can. Bit tedious, but I guess he cant find anything better to do.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:47 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I think Wlad might lose his nut one day and hit him with the bare fist

Not sure Shah, Wlad spent a fortnight on a promotional tour with Haye at his most bell endish, if you can do that I suspect you'd have to goose his missus before Wlad would snap.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 09 Jun 2015, 8:28 pm

True enough. The wish was the father of the thought

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 10 Jun 2015, 4:37 am

How can you seriously consider this buffoon as a legitimate opponent when he didn't last a round against Lennox lewis about twenty years ago? It wouldn't do Joshua's cause any good whatsoever.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:26 pm

You're right, he didn't last a round, it went about 7 or so. Think Lewis dropped him five time which puts into context just how much of a technically poor puncher Vitali was

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:33 pm

Briggs was ahead on the cards against Lewis and gave him a bit of a battering for a few rounds until running out of gas and Lewis getting his overhand right going.

Another pointless fight for Joshua but no worse than the rest of his pointless fights to date. Briggs might actually try and fight back.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Jun 2015, 7:17 pm

The 4th round was a 10-7 and he sure as heck didn't win the 3rd...

But he definitely won the 1st I'll give you that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs Empty Shannon Canon Briggs

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 11 Jun 2015, 4:33 am

DAVE667 wrote:You're right, he didn't last a round, it went about 7 or so. Think Lewis dropped him five time which puts into context just how much of a technically poor puncher Vitali was
My mistake I should have gone to Box rec instead of relying on my fading memory.I still don't think Briggs beat old man Foreman who Briggs claimed punched harder than Lewis.Yeah right.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 22 Nov 2016, 10:34 am

Briggs appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience yesterday. Haven't watched or listened yet but I'm betting it'll be a entertaining unless he just shouts "Let's go champ" for the duration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNxq97ictVw

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 22 Nov 2016, 6:00 pm

I listen to a lot of Rogan's podcasts and although he is knowledgeable of MMA, i find him not so much for boxing. He was raving about Briggs only a few weeks ago and basically saying no one wants to fight him for a good reason like he's a serious threat to anyone in the HW division!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 6:37 pm

Lol

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 22 Nov 2016, 6:47 pm

I can imagine Eddie Hearn if Joshua v Briggs gets made.

"Joshua has the chance to beat the man who beat and sent the great George Foreman into retirement, something that heavyweight legend Joe Frazier was not able to do".

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:28 am

Watched the podcast last night. Definitely a lot of "lets go champ" but actually very interesting. He comes across as a really nice and genuine guy. Apparently Wlad goes paddle boarding every Wednesday down in Florida and that's how Shannon got him that time Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 23 Nov 2016, 1:51 pm

I actually like Shannon, seems like a genuine bloke just out to fight the best he can. Shame that during his prime he wasn't world class. Good fighter, but shadowed in his era.

Think he's a bit long in the tooth now for anything meaningful nowadays. Joshua kicks him around for fun, Haye is too quick and too strong for him, he's a good gatekeeper though.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 23 Nov 2016, 1:57 pm

Well he's nothing if not interesting. The trouble with the heavyweights for the last few years is that they've been boring.
For all his domination Wlad was hardly one to get the pulse racing, Haye for all his posture and promises was not big/good enough to back up his claims as the saviour of HW boxing and Fury was only exciting out of the ring.

Joshua appears to be doing things from a script and despite knocking out almost everyone Beyonce has failed to fight anyone capable of giving him much of a challenge.

So Shannon sees an opportunity to make as much noise as possible in order to make a few waves and potentially throw his name into the title picture. He has the power to knock over no hopers in an exciting manner so being a "contender" will come easy. He is also a natural in front of the camera and loves the limelight. Watch his press conference with Lennox before their fight. He made Lennox look slow and unsure of himself. He was unable to back it up in the ring though.

All this self - promotion gets people talking. And Briggs knows that if he wants to make money, using his charisma and fists is the best way to do it.

I still think that he gets canned by anyone half decent but it's fun watching his rants. And as stated above - he's no dumb thug - he's quite eloquent and intelligent. So good luck to him. Still think that the build up to a Wilder-Briggs fight would be hilarious!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Fri 23 Dec 2016, 10:10 am

The beatdown he took against Vitali was one of the most sickening fights I have ever seen. He should retire with his money. Assuming he has any left that is.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Shannon 'Cannon' Briggs Empty Cannon Shannon Briggs

Post by rapidringsroad Sat 24 Dec 2016, 2:30 am

Mochyn du wrote:The beatdown he took against Vitali was one of the most sickening fights I have ever seen.  He retire with his money.  Assuming he has any left that is.
I agree why the ref or his corner didn't stop it I don't know.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 02 Jan 2017, 2:52 pm

The thing is...Shannon the Cannon is 45 years old. But he is in better shape now than when he was 25. Yeah. LET'S GO CHAMP. Once Haye dispatches of Bellew with ease then Briggs is ready to step up. Yeah. LET'S GO CHAMP

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:00 am

Said at the time to my brother that Foreman beating Moorer is nothing to celebrate...He was the catalyst.

Here we are now with this embarrassing moron who has talked his way into a title fight..

Even sadder is the fact he'll likely beat half the inept garbage that pollutes the division.

Tables flying from never do wells adding big numbers to crap PPV. ..Promoters paying fines for the behaviour...Probably as a thankyou.

No wonder Boxing is in a dark place....

Okay for the kids I expect who only know the current state...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Said at the time to my brother that Foreman beating Moorer is nothing to celebrate...He was the catalyst.

Here we are now with this embarrassing moron who has talked his way into a title fight..

Even sadder is the fact he'll likely beat half the inept garbage that pollutes the division.

Tables flying from never do wells adding big numbers to crap PPV. ..Promoters paying fines for the behaviour...Probably as a thankyou.

No wonder Boxing is in a dark place....

Okay for the kids I expect who only know the current state...
It's rare that I agree with Truss, but Foreman beating Moorer hasn't been good for the sport of boxing long term. Fighters are hanging around for way too long these days.

Imagine, that old Foreman then 48, managed to lose controversially to Briggs, out landing him by 284 to 223 punches (thanks for boxrec), but yet 19 years later, Briggs getting a shot at the title is being discussed due to him being in good shape, and being an entertaining character out of the ring.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down