The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

+6
hampo17
kingdaveeagle
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
LondonTiger
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship - Page 2 Empty Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 15 Jun 2015, 10:43 am

First topic message reminder :

surrey team to play glamorgan
Gareth Batty (C)
Zafar Ansari
Dominic Sibley
Vikram Solanki
Benjamin Foakes
Arun Harinath
Gary Wilson (W)
Aneesh Kapil
Thomas Curran
Christopher Tremlett
Stuart Meaker
Dunn has been rested and no idea where burke is Shocked
surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:20 pm

100 partnership for the 7th wicket - where have we seen that before? mad

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:21 pm

Glamorgan's tail is "Wagging"

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:35 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:100 partnership for the 7th wicket - where have we seen that before? mad
picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:41 pm

Olly wrote:Glamorgan's tail is "Wagging"

C'mon folks this is comedy gold
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:45 pm

Olly wrote:Glamorgan's tail is "Wagging"

drumroll

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm

Batty contributing well as usual.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:33 pm

it's not the hope that gets you .......

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:47 pm

100 for wagg picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:50 pm

first defeat of the season coming up sadly Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:first defeat of the season coming up sadly Sad

We are 100 runs ahead having batted first on a pitch that turns later in the game right?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

Olly wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:first defeat of the season coming up sadly Sad

We are 100 runs ahead having batted first on a pitch that turns later in the game right?
100 runs ahead you say Erm

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:35 am; edited 3 times in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:59 pm

54 for 5 at one stage Sad Sad Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 16 Jun 2015, 6:05 pm

how fast glamorgan are scoring there runs is the frightening thing Run
nearly all of our bowlers are going at six a over furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jun 2015, 7:02 pm

Gareth Batty needs to be taken to the glue factory
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jun 2015, 7:07 pm

Analysis of match situation: - we're still on top in the game, although the draw is looking increasingly likely to be the result. 

If we're too push for a result we need to pickup the remaining wickets in the first hour tomorrow (lead of around 50 runs) and look to score 300-350 in the remaining overs of the day.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:20 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:decision not to play burke coming back to bite us on the bum Doh

JimBob - at the moment anyway, that's a very good point. Batty (who came back in for Burke) has so far contributed nothing.

The wicket has so far offered little assistance to the spinners and shows no obvious sign of deterioration. It's actually a fair bit more green than it appears on Surrey tv (? dull lighting setting). If Burke could have bowled at his usual pace and kept a reasonable length, he would have been a useful option. I would have expected Burke to be more threatening than Harinath even though Baz (the shortened version of the Baron nickname used by the other players - ok Smile ) took a wicket and kept things very quiet. He was though mainly bowling when the tail was no longer Wagging (copyright OllyFeebleJokesNorwich2015) and simply looking to still be there in the morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:36 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:decision not to play burke coming back to bite us on the bum Doh
He was though mainly bowling when the tail was no longer Wagging (copyright OllyFeebleJokesNorwich2015)

We'll have less of that cheek young man  warning
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:39 pm

Great to see David Lloyd grab some wickets for Glamorgan. Have grown up played against him, he used to play for a club called Brymbo in North Wales. Never really bowled in our leagues, and was a top order batsmen so it's an interesting turn around.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:3 runs short Guildford and I'm blaming wilson solely  for it mad

JimBob - Wilson was in a difficult position. I put a lot of the blame on the decision to send Meaker in as nightwatchman. Doing that and Meaker getting out straightaway (which was always likely to happen either last night or this morning) meant we were one more man down than we needed to be and consequently Wilson was denied a batting partner. In these circumstances, Wilson considered it better to sacrifice a possible batting point and bat a bit cautiously so as to increase the chances of ultimately getting 400 on the board. In terms of the match situation at the time, I felt he made the right call.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:42 pm

Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
He was though mainly bowling when the tail was no longer Wagging (copyright OllyFeebleJokesNorwich2015)

We'll have less of that cheek young man  warning

I haven't even started on another post from you - watch this space! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:49 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:Great to see David Lloyd grab some wickets for Glamorgan. Have grown up played against him, he used to play for a club called Brymbo in North Wales. Never really bowled in our leagues, and was a top order batsmen so it's an interesting turn around.

Paul - it was pretty clear from the (less) overs he bowled and when, that he was behind Hogan, Wagg and Meschede in the pecking order but he did fine with his medium quick stuff and got a more than useful threefer. There's certainly been some uncertainty about his role. For some reason, I thought he was mainly a batsman whilst a poster on the Surrey Supporters Club website mentioned that Playfair describe him as an off spinner.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:Great to see David Lloyd grab some wickets for Glamorgan. Have grown up played against him, he used to play for a club called Brymbo in North Wales. Never really bowled in our leagues, and was a top order batsmen so it's an interesting turn around.

Paul - it was pretty clear from the (less) overs he bowled and when, that he was behind Hogan, Wagg and Meschede in the pecking order but he did fine with his medium quick stuff and got a more than useful threefer. There's certainly been some uncertainty about his role. For some reason, I thought he was mainly a batsman whilst a poster on the Surrey Supporters Club website mentioned that Playfair describe him as an off spinner.

Yeah when he bowled in the juniors up here he bowled off spin, so surprised to hear him bowling pace. He needs to do something this season or next to really cement his place in the side but at 23 he's still got a long way to go.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Jun 2015, 11:02 pm

Olly wrote:Analysis of match situation: - we're still on top in the game, although the draw is looking increasingly likely to be the result. 

If we're too push for a result we need to pickup the remaining wickets in the first hour tomorrow (lead of around 50 runs) and look to score 300-350 in the remaining overs of the day.

Hmmm.

Olly - to start with, I'll concede that I'm a bit of a pessimist as far as Surrey are concerned. However, I would respectfully suggest you consider why that is. Was I just born that way or have experiences of following the Club this century had anything to do with that?

I agree we're on top and feel that a lead of around 50 runs is feasible. However, I'm still anxious and worried as to the result. All results are possible at this stage although I believe a draw is least likely.

Why?

Any lead is obviously worth having. However, I'm not sure that 50 is that much in this particular match. The ground is small and the outfield was noticeably quicker today than yesterday; it may even quicken further with a couple more sunny days.

Furthermore - and this what really worries me - it's near certain that second dig with the bat we won't start so well (208/0 remember) and Glamorgan won't start so badly (52/5). If you take the view that those were freakish starts and neither will be repeated, then maybe Glamorgan look the better bet in effectively a one innings game, particularly considering how near to us in first innings they look like ending up.

As they are in third place in the table immediately behind us, Glamorgan will be looking to go for the runs and win so as to get in the promotion places. A draw would therefore suit us better than them. As seen today, they have some effective biffers in their line up plus one or two decent batsmen who didn't come off first time. Glamorgan going for the runs could increase our chances of victory although it should count against the draw.

Normally, going for a tall target batting last is very difficult. However, as mentioned in my separate post to JimBob, the track is currently doing no favours for the spinners and shows little sign of deteriorating. I would want us to be defending 400 but have doubts we'll be able to set that sort of total with so many fill-in batsmen.

Finally, no chance of rain causing the draw. We've only had a hold up of 5 minutes due to the weather and I don't reckon that will be repeated - batsmen being dazzled by the sunlight off the windscreen of a wrongly parked white van! Very Happy

PS Corporal - if you are looking in and in case I am being too pessimistic and we actually win, who has the keys to open up the mess? Wink  guinness  guinness  guinness

PPS Very strange day today. Good late order hitting from Curran and Trem who then both bowled magnificently in their opening spells. After that though, too many 4 balls all round plus good knocks from Wagg and Wallace which once more brought Glamorgan right back into the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 17 Jun 2015, 7:14 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:Analysis of match situation: - we're still on top in the game, although the draw is looking increasingly likely to be the result. 

Hmmm.

Olly - to start with, I'll concede that I'm a bit of a pessimist as far as Surrey are concerned. However, I would respectfully suggest you consider why that is. Was I just born that way or have experiences of following the Club this century had anything to do with that?

I agree we're on top and feel that a lead of around 50 runs is feasible. However, I'm still anxious and worried as to the result. All results are possible at this stage although I believe a draw is least likely.

Why?

Any lead is obviously worth having. However, I'm not sure that 50 is that much in this particular match. The ground is small and the outfield was noticeably quicker today than yesterday; it may even quicken further with a couple more sunny days.

Furthermore - and this what really worries me - it's near certain that second dig with the bat we won't start so well (208/0 remember) and Glamorgan won't start so badly (52/5). If you take the view that those were freakish starts and neither will be repeated, then maybe Glamorgan look the better bet in effectively a one innings game, particularly considering how near to us in first innings they look like ending up.

As they are in third place in the table immediately behind us, Glamorgan will be looking to go for the runs and win so as to get in the promotion places. A draw would therefore suit us better than them. As seen today, they have some effective biffers in their line up plus one or two decent batsmen who didn't come off first time. Glamorgan going for the runs could increase our chances of victory although it should count against the draw.

Normally, going for a tall target batting last is very difficult. However, as mentioned in my separate post to JimBob, the track is currently doing no favours for the spinners and shows little sign of deteriorating. I would want us to be defending 400 but have doubts we'll be able to set that sort of total with so many fill-in batsmen.

Finally, no chance of rain causing the draw. We've only had a hold up of 5 minutes due to the weather and I don't reckon that will be repeated - batsmen being dazzled by the sunlight off the windscreen of a wrongly parked white van! Very Happy

PS Corporal - if you are looking in and in case I am being too pessimistic and we actually win, who has the keys to open up the mess? Wink  guinness  guinness  guinness

PPS Very strange day today. Good late order hitting from Curran and Trem who then both bowled magnificently in their opening spells. After that though, too many 4 balls all round plus good knocks from Wagg and Wallace which once more brought Glamorgan right back into the game.

I would counter your argument by saying that it's unlikely our middle order will falter like it did again and is also unlikely the Glamorgan lower order will biff it with the success they have again
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Jun 2015, 7:45 am

Olly - I hope you are right and that the optimism of youth triumphs along with Surrey.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:15 am

Trem not on the field. Baron given the 2nd over rather than Meake - hmmm. Curran gets Salter

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:24 am

tremlett injured again picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

150 for wagg mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:28 am

batty does not trust meaker anymore

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:32 am

I don't trust Batty anymore!

I did ask what the odds were on Tremlett lasting a whole game!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:34 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:I don't trust Batty anymore!

I did ask what the odds were on Tremlett lasting a whole game!
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:36 am

Wagg now has 8 sixes - what is he doing to Curran?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

glamorgan just 17 behind furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:38 am

make that 9 sixes Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:41 am

8 behind Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:42 am

Wagg's previous best is 108! This cannot be happening.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:43 am

full bonus points for glamorgan steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:46 am

Glamorgan now leading. mad mad mad

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:46 am

Make that 10 sixes Glamorgan take the lead

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:50 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:Wagg's previous best is 108! This cannot be happening.
vomit

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:52 am

11x6 picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

hogan joining the party picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 12:04 pm

200 for wagg mad mad mad furious furious furious steam steam steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

finally all out a lead of 31 how to throw a game away the surrey way

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

as guildford said earlier batty should never have played in this game

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 17 Jun 2015, 1:18 pm

Well that was awful - but my word we really do not have any luck with injuries do we
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 17 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm

Guildford - did you put some red bull in Zaf's morning brew today?

21 off 33 balls - CALM DOWN ZAF
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 17 Jun 2015, 1:32 pm

Graham Wagg what a Glammy legend your fast becoming. Incredible knock! i'm sure the bowling was questionable but take nothing away from waggy. Saved the game for Glamorgan and may have even given us the chance to sneak a win if we bowl well today.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 17 Jun 2015, 2:06 pm

zafar gone Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 2:23 pm

Well bowled lads, phenomenal effort that

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next