The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Mayweather get enough credit?

+18
hazharrison
hogey
JabMachineMK2
captain carrantuohil
DuransHorse
TRUSSMAN66
3fingers
Hands Of Stone
bhb001
88Chris05
AdamT
ShahenshahG
TopHat24/7
Strongback
Lance
catchweight
Gentleman01
mark_england
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Does Mayweather get enough credit? - Page 3 Empty Does Mayweather get enough credit?

Post by mark_england Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Personally I'd say no.

Of course everything is about opinions, but I've seen people on here saying he wouldn't even make their all time top 20!! Really?!

For someone who has mastered defence so impressively, never been beaten in a tough era, makes top fighters look ordinary, and who has a resume of De La Hoya, Pacquiao, Cotto, Marquez, Alvarez, Hatton, plus other notable wins, I think he deserves more credit than he's given.

Best I've ever seen personally.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Does Mayweather get enough credit? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does Mayweather get enough credit?

Post by catchweight Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:24 pm

Ok pendant, he spent the majority of the business end and championship level of his career at welterweight and above. Top marks for pedantry.

Chavez Jr struggled to make light heavyweight. And who cares about this pedantry anyway?

Hearns would have beat the crap out of the opponents that Mayweather has spent the last 10 years (not checked for exact number of years) at welterweight and above.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Does Mayweather get enough credit? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does Mayweather get enough credit?

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm

catchweight wrote:Ok pendant, he spent the majority of the business end and championship level of his career at welterweight and above. Top marks for pedantry.

Chavez Jr struggled to make light heavyweight. And who cares about this pedantry anyway?

Hearns would have beat the crap out of the opponents that Mayweather has spent the last 10 years (not checked for exact number of years) at welterweight and above.

Interesting new term for millstone

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:51 pm

I don't think correcting you is pedantry at all, you wish to ignore his career below 147lbs because it's harder to criticise.

Hearns most probably beats all of Robinsons opposition so do we rate him down too or is Lewis above Louis for the same reason?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:06 pm

I didnt ignore Mayweathers career below 147lb, I emphsaised his career at 147lb and above because thats the actual weight class that a comparison can be drawn with Hearns.

I wont hold it against Mayweather for not being able to beat Virgil Hill though.

I wasnt alive when Robinson boxing and havent seen much of his fights so am not qualified not pass any sort of comparison. I did witness Hearns and Mayweathers respective careers first hand. Hearns would have wiped the floor with Mayweathers oppositition (at a common weight) and most likely wiped the floor with Mayweather himself (or had him running for the hills). Mayweather in the roles reversed would have been in big trouble if he had to fight Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Benitez etc. When you have loads of great fighters at the same in the same division the records will be patchy and great fighters will lose. I think its unfair to hold Hearns losing classic fights to boxers like Hagler and Leonard against him in comparison with Mayweathers economical safety first approach to an era that was modest by comparison.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3