The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active?

+13
AdamT
Coxy001
TopHat24/7
mark_england
Derbymanc
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
Steffan
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
catchweight
Strongback
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active? Empty Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active?

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm

I reckon Fury is the active fighter best known to the general British public. He stated out on terrestrial and his name alone was enough to get him recognition, then there's his family background.

Thoughts

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active? Empty Re: Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active?

Post by catchweight Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm

Khan I would say, has the olympic background and been around longer

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active? Empty Re: Is Tyson Fury The Best Known British Fighter Currently Active?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:18 pm

Yes he's proud of his Irish roots....

clap

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:19 pm

Froch is active. Well actively talking about retirement. He once knocked someone out in front of 80,000 people apparently so at least 80,000 people must know him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:22 pm

I think Fury is better know to Joe Soap than Froch. Froch is hardly a household name.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm

catchweight wrote:Khan I would say, has the olympic background and been around longer

Khan was tabloid fodder due to his indiscretions with the ladies, that helped his name recognition.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:26 pm

Who actually knows who Fury is, he's hardly well known.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:30 pm

He is the best heavyweight on the planet so it makes sense he is the most known. Most casual fans I know talk about Fury the most

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm

Once a fighter is a red top regular the public get to know him quickly. Fury generated quite a buzz on Channel 5.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:26 pm

Froch and Khan are top of the pile, and rightly so given their respective achievements. I'd say maybe Groves is next in line, neck and neck with De Gale.

David Haye is also ahead of Fury I'd imagine.

He would rank in the top ten would Fury, I'd say maybe 7th

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:30 pm

There is the small matter of Anthony Joshua who despite fighting on Sky is more well known to the general public because he looks right; Degale and Kid Galahad both fought on Five and neither are well known at all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:39 pm

Fury has the lip to go with his massive frame and has the first name Tyson.

Nobody outside boxing fans knows who Carl Froch is. With his personality he has no cross over appeal.

There is no end of tabloid fodder on Fury. He can't stay out of the press.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:41 pm

If nobody outside of boxing knew who Carl Froch was he wouldn't be a multi millionaire and you are overselling Fury's tabloid status, as boxing fans we read these things when most wouldn't.

Froch and Khan are so far ahead of Fury in terms of being known it's not even a debate.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm

I can say Carl Froch to my mates who are not boxing fans but are sports fans and they don't know who he is.

Hearn formed a cult following on Twitter of teenagers and young men and has been in the process of milking them since.  It isn't a wide fan base.

Soon Frampton will be better known than any of them.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 03 Jul 2015, 12:33 am

Froch is known at all in casual boxing circles and I'm saying that because I don't like the Slimester but it is true. There has never been the hype that was going on when Hatton and Calzaghe were around. Khan is well known but has dropped a bit since going to America. Joshua is beginning to get well recognised but Fury is still the most well known from the UK or Ireland

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 03 Jul 2015, 12:37 am

Barry Hearn is much more well known than his fighters.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 03 Jul 2015, 8:21 am

Strongback on the wind up here. Fury behind Joshua, let alone Froch & Khan in terms of public recognition in the UK (well, I speak for South Wales, Steffan aside).

Cheers for that knee slapper on a Friday morning though, like to start my day off with a laugh.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 03 Jul 2015, 8:28 am

Froch
Khan
Groves
Degale
Danny Williams (he's still boxing isn't he)
Bellew (didn't get a film part for nothing)
Haye (although am loathe to say he's boxing at the minute)
Harrison
Chisora
Fury

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by mark_england Fri 03 Jul 2015, 3:17 pm

Not the biggest name, biggest would be Froch/Khan in my opinion.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Jul 2015, 3:29 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Froch
Khan
Groves
Degale
Danny Williams (he's still boxing isn't he)
Bellew (didn't get a film part for nothing)
Haye (although am loathe to say he's boxing at the minute)
Harrison
Chisora
Fury

My eldest still cherishes the "Danny Williams yoyo" I bought him a few years ago..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 03 Jul 2015, 3:53 pm

laughing

Actually feel sorry for the guy now saw an interview (admittedly a while back) where he said he had to carry on boxing even though he knew he was a shadow of his former self otherwise the bills wouldn't be paid. Sad to see for such a well known Brit.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:18 am

Rolling Eyes

In a word, no.

Khan and, now, Froch are both better known. Khan is an Olympian, world champion boxer that's sold out Vegas. Froch is a multi-time world champion who's sold out 80,0000 Wembley Stadium.

Fury is a freakshow-tinker whose fame only comes because of his stupid pikey name and freakish physical dimensions.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:09 pm

Strongback wrote:I can say Carl Froch to my mates who are not boxing fans but are sports fans and they don't know who he is.

Hearn formed a cult following on Twitter of teenagers and young men and has been in the process of milking them since.  It isn't a wide fan base.

Soon Frampton will be better known than any of them.

Twitter, the #1 gauge of popularity by followers:

Khan: 1.61m
Froch: 506k
Joshua: 254k
Groves: 250k
Fury: 242k
Brook 228k
Frampton: 113k

I'd suggest that your mates are as dim as you after Froch was at the forefront of more than just 80,000 minds in attendance after the amount of hype that fight got.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm

Game. Set. Match.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

Will be interesting to use the same guage after Framps' latest fight on ITV, see if it works the wonders to which Strongy opines.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm

You know the answer regardless of the figures...

He's a troll who was let out as part of the Good Friday agreement.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:55 pm

I see Khan is three times more popular than Froch in the noddy world of twitter, Pakisthan has a population of 180 million. Twitter is there to allow celebrities and companies to sell their wares. Only numpties waste any time on social media. A forum is a waste of time but following celebrities on the internet, very very sad.

Needless to say I take no heed of twitter. Tyson Fury is very well know,

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm

Every Pakistani is a Khan fan..

Just like every black person in America voted for Obama

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:12 pm

Strongback wrote:I see Khan is three times more popular than Froch in the noddy world of twitter, Pakisthan has a population of 180 million.  Twitter is there to allow celebrities and companies to sell their wares.  Only numpties waste any time on social media. A forum is a waste of time but following celebrities on the internet, very very sad.

Needless to say I take no heed of twitter.  Tyson Fury is very well know,

Here we go with the race card again Rolling Eyes almost played it as many times as ONETWO.........!!

Basically, as Truss says, you're just a pathetic WUM who cannot make his arguments stack up so twists n turns the BS to try form some semblence of an argument.

Tyson Fury is a talentless bell-end, much, I suspect, like you in reality as opposed to your internet persona, and if he wasn't a plastic tinker you wouldn't give a flying f*** about him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

I have not played the race card, maybe your right wing sensibilities are concocting things that are not there.

Khan identifies strongly with Pakistan. Pakistan has three time the population of the UK hence Khan has more followers. Nothing remotely racist about that Enoch.

Now your less than sophisticated references to Fury are most certainly racist. Basically you have again demonstrated you haven't a clue what your are talking about but hey that's nothing new.

As far as talent goes its quite apparent you're nothing but a loud mouthed dummy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:24 pm

My Mum knows who Khan is.

"Why has Mike Tyson changed is name to Tyson Fury Adam?"

I sh1t you not, she asked me that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:34 pm

Strongy, whatever you follow or don't follow in terms of social media - you must hang around with some right thickos/dummies/retards if they haven't heard of Froch. Says a lot about your level of intellect as most people tend to read and watch the news, you couldn't exactly get away from it a year May ago.

Fury doesn't attract anywhere near the same attention. You have nothing to factually back that up with, ergo go away. Thanks.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Strongback wrote:I have not played the race card, maybe your right wing sensibilities are concocting things that are not there.

Khan identifies strongly with Pakistan. Pakistan has three time the population of the UK hence Khan has more followers.  Nothing remotely racist about that Enoch.

Now your less than sophisticated references to Fury are most certainly racist.  Basically you have again demonstrated you haven't a clue what your are talking about but hey that's nothing new.

As far as talent goes its quite apparent you're nothing but a loud mouthed dummy.

You were exposed last time for focusing on Khan's racial background, in the hopeless absence of a sustainable argument, and you're doing so again.

Quick Google search suggests Pakistan has 2.5m Twitter users, compared to the UK's 15m. But as Truss says, your race card states clearly that Khan's Pakistani background means all Pakistanis must love him therefore his Twitter followers will be all boasted by the massive Pakistani Twitter contingent..... Rolling Eyes that's despite the fact Khan was born & raised in Britain, fought for Britain in the Olympics and wears a British flag on his shorts.

Please, try actually backing up something you say. Coxy has done it in defeating your argument, how about you try something other than simply pontificating??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

The people who got interested in Froch are boxing fans then the teenagers and young men who Hearned targeted with his media campaign. My mates fall into neither of those groups. Obviously they knew about Floyd v Manny because that got so much coverage across every demographic.

Froch means nothing to them.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:47 pm

Strongback wrote:I see Khan is three times more popular than Froch in the noddy world of twitter, Pakisthan has a population of 180 million.  Twitter is there to allow celebrities and companies to sell their wares.  Only numpties waste any time on social media. A forum is a waste of time but following celebrities on the internet, very very sad.

if you feel the site is a waste of time, let one of the members of staff now. I'm sure they'll happily click delete, but you'd be back in a week with a new username no doubt.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:01 pm

Smile I quite like this forum. I'm basically a c.t and feel at home with other c..ts!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:I have not played the race card, maybe your right wing sensibilities are concocting things that are not there.

Khan identifies strongly with Pakistan. Pakistan has three time the population of the UK hence Khan has more followers.  Nothing remotely racist about that Enoch.

Now your less than sophisticated references to Fury are most certainly racist.  Basically you have again demonstrated you haven't a clue what your are talking about but hey that's nothing new.

You were exposed last time for focusing on Khan's racial background, in the hopeless absence of a sustainable argument, and you're doing so again.

Quick Google search suggests Pakistan has 2.5m Twitter users, compared to the UK's 15m.  But as Truss says, your race card states clearly that Khan's Pakistani background means all Pakistanis must love him therefore his Twitter followers will be all boasted by the massive Pakistani Twitter contingent..... Rolling Eyes that's despite the fact Khan was born & raised in Britain, fought for Britain in the Olympics and wears a British flag on his shorts.

Please, try actually backing up something you say.  Coxy has done it in defeating your argument, how about you try something other than simply pontificating??

I was not exposed, I said Khan has a South Asian following and this is a fact. I also noted that when somebody like Andy Murray is beaten he changes from being British to being Scottish. Same happened with Barry McGuigan when he couldn't be used as a shining example of British invincibility anymore.

Froch is not very well known and the vast majority of people could not tell you a fight he was in. You couldn't say that about McGuigan. Tyson Fury is the British boxer that has created the most headlines in the last 5 years. Fury is known whether you gypsy hating ass will admit to it or not.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:12 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:

if you feel the site is a waste of time, let one of the members of staff now. I'm sure they'll happily click delete, but you'd be back in a week with a new username no doubt.

I've never been banned from this site or BBC 606 so I'm not sure what I'd do if it happened. I have abstained a few times when it seemed the right thing to do.

Surely everybody has said to themselves at some stage that the internet is a time waster. I sometimes think the powers that be are happy enough to have mountains of information dumped on the internet keeping people occupied and under control while they get on with the business of running the world.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm

So are we expectin Fury to sell out wembley in his next fight considering how well known he is, or will he struggle to sell out a smaller venue and have to have 20 fighters on before him to get the crowds in???

I don't mind Fury btw, he's not as good as he thinks he is and he can come across as a right herbert sometimes (Plus his last few fights have been snorefests) but he tends to give it his all.

Trying to say he's more well known than Froch, Khan, Haye et al is just daft mate. Also while your mates aren't boxing fans, i'm sure at some point in your Hearn hating you would have mentioned him and how he managed to fluke a sell out at Wembley, especially when it was splashed all over the papers.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:41 pm

Strongy, I read this thread the other day but because Fury is Irish I just concluded there would be no way you'd concede the point so it wouldn't be worth discussing.

At times I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt when you talk about your incredible success and overall talents in multiple areas.  To be all that you have claimed is quite miraculous and makes you a very rare specimen, it is quite unbelievable but I always think "why would anyone bother to lie on a forum?"

I now conclude you don't intentionally lie.  It's just that if you say you are the most intelligent, successful, skilful, strong, babe-magnet on the planet there's no arguing that would change that opinion.  To say that Fury is the most well know fighter is incorrect, we all think you're wrong and have tried to show evidence, yours is opinion based on your "mates" ( who live where? ), yet we are all the ignorant ones?

If you left work at the end of a looong day stacking shelves in Morrison's, popped in your local gym and struggled to lift 20kg on bench press, then went home to a bedsit and fed a housebound obese wife 3 fry-ups and a box of doughnuts.... I think you'd still claim supreme intelligence, success, athleticism and stallion status.  Some people just only see positive things in themselves, over inflate their reality bubble and conclude the rest of the world has gone mad.

Fair play to you mate, it's probably a very nice existence!

The only thing I can say to try and boost your augment is that both Fury and Frampton are young and the biggest challenges are still ahead of them, so they could be the most well known and recognisable in 12-24 months time.  In Fury's case, he will at least get 5 minutes in the spotlight if he fights WK as expected.

Finally, I don't do twitter myself Strongy but that was a valid point and you should have acknowledge it rather than throw your toys out.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

Strongback wrote:Fury has the lip to go with his massive frame and has the first name Tyson.

Nobody outside boxing fans knows who Carl Froch is. With his personality he has no cross over appeal.

There is no end of tabloid fodder on Fury.  He can't stay out of the press.

Tyson Fury hasn't been on Strictly... yet, Froch has. Froch and Khan by a country mile.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

Get Fury on strictly, the campaign starts here.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:28 pm

This is becoming like D4 with his wumming. 100% of posters go against the arguement of one poster yet he still keeps going.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:30 pm

Coxy001 wrote:This is becoming like D4 with his wumming. 100% of posters go against the arguement of one poster yet he still keeps going.

I never got that pleasure. I heard he was a rational guy.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:45 pm

Yep, very D4.

Really quite pathetic.

Strongy - feel free to jump in and prove us wrong by actually backing up anything you say......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 6:14 pm

In the final arena there will be no judges, only witnesses to my greatness.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 06 Jul 2015, 6:50 pm

I use Twitter, read all the boxing related news in the papers and online; the two names that come up most frequently are Khan and Froch, that is a blind belief because I dislike a certain promoter but the plain reality.

What headlines has Fury ever actually made and what is he known for?

I'll give you an indication and it goes like this with the general public; Did you see that video of the boxer punching himself in the face? or Who's this Tyson Fury bloke everyone thinks will get knocked out by David Haye?

People might know his name but they either wouldn't know what he does or what he looks like, i'll openly admit to not liking Fury but to even try suggesting he's the best known British boxer is plain wrong.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:18 pm

Yeah but were Froch and Khan ever asked to do Celebrity Big Brother.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:59 pm

Strongback wrote:In the final arena there will be no judges, only witnesses to my greatness.
Yahoo he's absolute box office, isn't he? Never change, Strongback!

I've always thought most conversations about the Furious one go as follows:

'Heard about that boxer Tyson Fury?'
'Think you mean Mike Tyson, mate'
'No, the gypsy'
'Thats, Esmerelda'.

True story.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 Jul 2015, 9:51 am

WUM status confirmed. Hats off to Truss for calling it early doors.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next