The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British GP Thread - contains spoilers

+7
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
dyrewolfe
nathan
Jermaine2015
Fernando
11 posters

Go down

British GP Thread - contains spoilers Empty British GP Thread - contains spoilers

Post by Fernando Fri 03 Jul 2015, 10:22 am

F1 returns this weekend to where it all began in 1950 – an old World War II aerobase in Northamptonshire, more commonly known as Silverstone.

The 1950 event was staged on the perimeter roads of the base and the layout remains remarkably similar, with the Arena sector added in 2010 the only major change.

The 2015 British GP in a nutshell

Track: Silverstone Circuit. Permanent circuit.

Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday.

Laps: 52.

Track length: 5.891 km.

Tyre allocation: Medium (white) and Hard (orange).

DRS Zones: Two with separate detection spots (Between turns 5 and 6 and turns 14 and 15).

Driver steward: Nigel Mansell.

Lap record: Mark Webber - 1:33.401 (Red Bull, 2013).

2014 pole: Nico Rosberg - 1:35.766 (Mercedes)

Form guide

Lewis Hamilton took his second victory on home soil last year as unreliability struck Nico Rosberg, who had led the race from pole. Rosberg was the victor in 2013 and of the remaining drivers on the grid only Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel have tasted success at Silverstone.

2014 result: 1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 2. Valtteri Bottas (Williams); 3. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull); 4. Jenson Button (McLaren); 5. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 6. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 7. Kevin Magnussen (McLaren); 8. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India); 9. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso); 10. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso).

Last five winners at Silverstone: 2014: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 2013: Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 2012: Mark Webber (Red Bull); 2011: Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 2010: Mark Webber (Red Bull).

Tyre allocation

Pirelli will bring the medium and hard compounds to Silverstone this weekend. The Italian firm say that Silverstone is ‘a fast and flowing circuit that puts plenty of energy through the tyres’.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

British GP Thread - contains spoilers Empty Re: British GP Thread - contains spoilers

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 03 Jul 2015, 8:58 pm

Nico Rosberg seems really dialed in at present, undoubtedly his best form he's ever shown in F1, fastest in FP 1 and 2.

The two Ferrari seemed to enjoy the hot conditions in FP2, with Kimi ahead of Sebastian. Hamilton looks a little rattled at present and was fourth in FP2.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

British GP Thread - contains spoilers Empty Re: British GP Thread - contains spoilers

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm

missed today's practice but BBC have it as 'Hamilton in big trouble' Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 03 Jul 2015, 9:49 pm

That's because he said it himself......

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

hamilton quickest in fp3, what a surprise. great driver, but he's such a drama queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

LiamB wrote:hamilton quickest in fp3, what a surprise. great driver, but he's such a drama queen

Guessing your not a fan of Hamilton...

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:18 pm

Well no real surprises for the top two, after all. Nico gave Lewis a run for his money, but in the end came up a couple of tenths short of denying Hamilton pole. Part of me hopes Nico can repeat what he did in Austria, to keep the title race interesting...the other part obviously wants Lewis to win his home GP.

Good showing from Williams, locking out the 2nd row and Massa getting the better of Bottas.

Ferrari locking out the 3rd row with Kimi looking more like his old self and out-qualifying Vettel.

Really liking the new Force India...those "nostrils" in the nose give it a real animalistic quality. Hulkenberg looked really quick in Q1 but their ultimate lack of pace became apparent in Q2 and 3. Wonder if the car will be better in race trim?

Sauber looked to have dropped a long way off the pace...seems a while now since both Ericsson and Nasr were getting into Q3.

The less said about McLaren the better. Alonso's prediction that nothing is really going to change for the next few races pretty much crushes any hopes of a podium this season.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

1-2 for Williams is unexpected.

Bit silly from Hamilton that, trying to race under the SC
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:16 pm

GSC wrote:1-2 for Williams is unexpected.

Bit silly from Hamilton that, trying to race under the SC

Amateur Hour really - you've got the better car just wait ffs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:17 pm

I get the urgency to put 2 Williams between him and Rosberg. But slightly too aggressive
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

Williams could do with letting Bottas through
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Amateurish Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Back to sleep now
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:42 pm

Well Williams have c0cked this up
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:43 pm

Its incredible they let Massa hold up Bottas with 2 faster cars behind. Defies all logic

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:44 pm

GSC wrote:Its incredible they let Massa hold up Bottas with 2 faster cars behind. Defies all logic

They're still doing it as well....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:47 pm

No point now. Just frustrate Rosberg and hope for a double podium
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:53 pm

Remember when F1 had on track overtakes?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm

Please rain.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:12 pm

Nope - yawn
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:20 pm

Hamilton great decision coming in

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:28 pm

Good strategy from Ferrari and Vettel to get into 3rd.

Yet again Williams go ultra conservative, turn a 1-2 into a non podium finish.

At least Alonso might score a point. Even the rain was boring.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm

great work from Ferrari and Vettel, and of course Hamilton, whose decision to come in basically sealed the win. Disappointing from Williams...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

Fair play to Rosberg for looking best on the dry tyres in rain - but notice that yet again that when there is a competitive team to Mercedes he's the one that suffers, i.e. he'd still be 4th if it had stayed dry

So in the end he should be thankful for the rain

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:38 pm

Mmm. Start of the race promised much, winner was never in doubt after the first pit stop. Rain allowed Rosberg to move up to 2nd but that was it.

Probably summed up the race I guess, a lot of promise but not much happened in the end.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 3:00 pm

gsc, the only thing that was boring was listening to you drone on about negatives. Fantastic race, unpredictable & full of action compared to previous races. Agree Rosberg was lucky it rained, in dry conditions, he was anonymous. Lewis' lead back up to 17pts. Congrats to Alonso for gaining his first point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2015, 3:02 pm

It really wasn't a fantastic race
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 3:07 pm

Olly wrote:It really wasn't a fantastic race

Stop being negative Olly
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:17 pm

I don't get how you can say that.

Yes. We've had a lot of bore-fests, but we seem to have some on these boards who now just want to codemn every race, not mater what

Maybe good is a better description - but I'm getting a little bit bored with the moaning about F1. For most of the last 15 years, there's always been a dominant team - now is no different

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

I'm happy to call it a fantastic race if it's a fantastic race - but that was far from it. It was average, but getting over hyped because it's the British GP and wasn't as god awful as some others this year
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:26 pm

A good race but wouldn't overdo the superlatives. The flying start by Williams and late rain were the highlights which elevated it above most of the races this season. However, as soon as the Mercs hit the front I think we all knew what the result would be. Good to see Fernando get his first point of the season.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jul 2015, 9:10 pm

It'll be interesting if Merc get a dressing down for the fake pit stop. Suppose the only proof will be if they do it again.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jul 2015, 9:54 pm

Not overly convinced on Bottas. Always seems to come up short, either taking a win when the opportunity arises or when needing to make a ruthless move. Seen it this year & last year, so if I was Ferrari, I'd take Ricciardo out of the two to replace Kimi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 05 Jul 2015, 10:37 pm

LiamB wrote:Not overly convinced on Bottas. Always seems to come up short, either taking a win when the opportunity arises or when needing to make a ruthless move. Seen it this year & last year, so if I was Ferrari, I'd take Ricciardo out of the two to replace Kimi.
Nico Hulkenberg should be the leading candidate to replace Kimi. Whilst Ricciardo had a stellar 2014, he's currently struggling against young Kvyat. Ricciardo has gone missing in recent weeks.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:01 am

banbrotam wrote:

I don't get how you can say that.

Yes. We've had a lot of bore-fests, but we seem to have some on these boards who now just want to codemn every race, not mater what

Maybe good is a better description - but I'm getting a little bit bored with the moaning about F1. For most of the last 15 years, there's always been a dominant team - now is no different

Couldn't agree more.

The start was truly thrilling and the re-start after the safety car added some extra tension. Was brilliant to see Williams leading a race...even if it was only until the first pit stop.

Unfortunately they couldn't open up a gap to the Mercedes and Lewis benefitted from a better timed and better executed stop (aided by brilliant in and out laps).

After that theere was little doubt about the outcome, although Nico benefitted from better decision making about when to switch to inters, while the Williams were struggling. Okay, the Williams isn't as good in the wet, but I don't think the team helped Massa and Bottas by leaving it so long to switch tyres. In the end Vettel, who had been pretty anonymous most of the race, was able to leapfrog them and grab 3rd.

The rain certainly made things interesting...it was good to see the drivers really having to work to stay on the track in the wet/dry, then fully wet conditions. However, even then it would haven taken something special, or a big mistake on Mercedes' part to jeopardise Lewis' lead.

So, overall, it was definitely better than most races this season...arguably the best, but certainly not a brilliant one.

GSC wrote:
It'll be interesting if Merc get a dressing down for the fake pit stop. Suppose the only proof will be if they do it again.

I think they're allowed to do it once, but DC did say they can't do it repeatedly. They might get a warning at most.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:54 am

Entertaining spectacle due to circumstances but not a great 'race' (and certainly not 'epic' as described in 1 place) all things considered - although better than the absolute drab affairs we've been served up so far this year.

Williams' race management is pretty meek it has to be said. And Bottas leaves more questions than answers of his own ability. Massa's start was incredible though. It was like he had a nitro button!

More poor choices from Kimi who looks to be coasting to an F1 exit come the end of the year. I'd be offering his seat to Hulk if it was my choice.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:02 pm

A good rather than great race - promised more action than it actually delivered in terms of on-track overtaking. Even so, probably the best or 2nd best race of the season to date (Malaysia was also good).

Great starts from both Williams - some sort of system or software upgrade? Be interesting to see if they do the same in future races.

Lewis made a bit of a mistake in trying to pass Massa just after the safety car line, although I understand why he tried it - putting both Williams between himself and Nico would have won him the race at that point. Good calls on the tyre changes and drove fast when needed though, so a reasonably comfortable win even if for a moment it looked iffy when he came in for the last stop.

Nico was only the best driver at one thing, which was driving the car on slicks on a damp track. The rest of the race I think Lewis had him pretty much under control.

Slightly disappointing result for Williams in the end, as they looked nailed on for at least one podium finisher until the rain and them delaying Massa's stop.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm

dummy_half wrote:Nico was only the best driver at one thing, which was driving the car on slicks on a damp track. The rest of the race I think Lewis had him pretty much under control..

Basically Lewis' driving under the VSC was questionable, he was coming to near complete stops at times, whereas he should of kept a steady pace, in order to keep some tyre temp. Rosberg had been in the hot dirty air of the Williams for long periods & once the VSC had ended he was quickly able to dispatch the faltering Williams & catch Lewis, with his tyres working at a better temp.

still not convinced that VSC system works, whereby the leader was doing laps four seconds slower than drivers behind. I'd rather have a constant speed, than having to do a sector in a specified time frame.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 09 Jul 2015, 2:36 pm

Wont be seeing a rerun of the Merc pit crew dummy, the teams have been told not to do it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jul 2015, 10:34 am

Valterri Bottas to Ferrari for 2016 is a done deal according to a number of F1 sources.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 17 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

Ah lovely, I guess this means Nasr will return to Williams.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jul 2015, 9:07 pm

John wrote:Valterri Bottas to Ferrari for 2016 is a done deal according to a number of F1 sources.

Interesting move, I think he's over-rated personally, doesn't have the ruthless streak about him to win. Think he'll find it difficult alongside Vettel too.

As for Williams, I'd go down the Nico Hulkenberg route, over Nasr.

As for Kimi, he had his shot, I just don't think it's in him anymore & neither is the motivation. They always say it's the decline of that one lap pace that is the telling factor about a driver coming to the end & Kimi's woeful qualifying is evidence of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down