The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time!

+10
Scottrf
Atila
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
AdamT
3fingers
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
shenglong2015
14 posters

Go down

Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time! Empty Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time!

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 5:49 pm

Seen a clip of Mayweather Jnr picking his top 5 n Boxing News this week. It was live on ESPN Deportes, he had 10 fighters to chose from:

Sugar Ray Robinson
Sugar Ray Leonard
Joe Louis
Henry Armstrong
Muhammad Ali
Pernell Whitaker
Floyd Mayweather (himself)
Roberto Duran
Julio Cesar Chavez
Rocky Marciano

Heres who he went for:

1. Mayweather Jnr (Himself)
2. Roberto Duran
3. Pernell Whitaker
4. Julio Cesar Chavez
5. Muhammad Ali

This was his top five picks, anyone think his ego has got too much, or this is a fair enough reflection of a top 5?

Thoughts.

Sheng

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time! Empty Re: Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time!

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Aug 2015, 5:52 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:

Thoughts.

If you give an infinite amount of 606v2 users an infinite amount of typewriters and an infinite amount of time they would eventually have a debate that was not about or did not reference Mayweather.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time! Empty Re: Mayweather Picks his Top 5 of All Time!

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 5:54 pm

Rowley wrote:
shenglong2015 wrote:

Thoughts.

If you give an infinite amount of 606v2 users an infinite amount of typewriters and an infinite amount of time they would eventually have a debate that was not about or did not reference Mayweather.

Hes the hot topic at the moment Rowley, think what it'd be like if he was a Brit, you lot would be going mental.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 10 Aug 2015, 6:49 pm

For someone of Mayweather's style picking Duran seems odd.

So subjective is the ATG list but all in there are legends.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 10 Aug 2015, 7:39 pm

It's telling that he excluded the two welterweights who could beat him. Its the same phenomenona as when a boxer is asked who the hardest puncher he faced is...and he ignores the only guy who knocked him out.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm

Saw the video. He is great and I will always back him as a boxer, when his legacy is questioned but he is a d1ck.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:13 pm

Rowley wrote:
shenglong2015 wrote:

Thoughts.

If you give an infinite amount of 606v2 users an infinite amount of typewriters and an infinite amount of time they would eventually have a debate that was not about or did not reference 

You flatterer rowley

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

3fingers wrote:It's telling that he excluded the two welterweights who could beat him. Its the same phenomenona as when a boxer is asked who the hardest puncher he faced is...and he ignores the only guy who knocked him out.

I guess they often don't remember the punch that sparked them fingers... They were unconscious at the time. Marlon starling couldn't remember molinares knocking him out, when asked in the post fight interview!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:37 pm

My Top 5..

Ali
Robbo
Armstrong
Leonard
Greb

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 1:19 am

Chavez at 4? He is a lover boy of the WBC though so suppose his choice is "pushed" a little there.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 11 Aug 2015, 4:43 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/08/10/floyd-mayweathers-list-of-top-five-all-time-boxers-has-himself-at-no-1-muhammad-ali-at-no-5/?wprss=rss_sports

The only thing not surprising about Floyd Mayweather’s list of top five all-time boxers is where he put himself. Could it be anywhere but number one?

Elsewhere, the rankings that Mayweather unveiled Monday on ESPN Deportes did not go in a predictable order. Muhammad Ali, the self-proclaimed “greatest of all time” — a status with which many agree — checked in at number five, and Sugar Ray Robinson was left out completely.

Choosing from an assortment of 10 boxing greats shown on a video screen, including Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, Henry Armstrong and Rocky Marciano (whose iconic 49-0 record Mayweather will attempt to duplicate when he fights Andre Berto in September), the undefeated welterweight placed, between himself and Ali, Roberto Duran, Pernell Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez. Perhaps Ali should simply be honored to be the only big-bodied fighter to crack the top five.

Mayweather offered several reasons to the hosts of “Nacion ESPN” for putting his own name atop his list, pausing between comments to give them a chance to provide Spanish translations. Referring to himself in the third person, the boxer said, “He’s beaten more world champions than any other fighter right here. … And he’s done it in less fights than any other fighter up here.”

“Record-breaking numbers all around the board, pay-per-view and live gate,” Mayweather continued, in making his case as the all-time greatest boxer. “Landed punches on the highest percentage, and took less punishment.” He also noted his championships in five different weight classes, while knocking Ali for losing to a relative neophyte in Leon Spinks.

Here’s some of what Mayweather had to say about the next four fighters on his list:
•2. Duran: “He went from lightweight all the way to 160 and became world champion.”
•3. Whitaker: “He didn’t lose until the end of his career. … He beat Chavez for real.”
•4. Chavez: “Was 80-0 before he lost. … And he went to different weight classes.”
•5. Ali: “He really lost all three times to Ken Norton. … Ali was the greatest, for standing up in an era where black people didn’t stand up for each other.”

Mayweather dinged Ali for not fighting in multiple weight classes, which seems unfair. What was Ali supposed to do, lose 50 pounds? It’s far easier for, say, a lightweight to move up to welterweight, or even middleweight, especially given that athletes often add bulk as they get older.

However, Duran does deserve greater credit, at least among U.S. boxing fans, for his tremendous career, rather than just being recalled as the guy who said “No más” as he quit against Leonard in their second fight.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:My Top 5..

Ali
Robbo
Armstrong
Leonard
Greb

Nearly the same as mine.

1.Robbo
2.Armstrong
3.Ali
4.Greb
5.Duran
6.Leonard
7.Pep
8.Langford
9.Charles
10.Floyd

Hate leaving Pernell and Jones Jr out but that is my top ten. It could changenext time I think about it. Joe Louis is cloes too. No matter what stirring I did, he has great longevity. Peter Jackson is also worth a mention. From what I have read, he was an amazing fighter in his day.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:41 am

Ignoring the obvious which is no shock, I have no idea under what criteria other than 'number of fights won' you can rank Chavez above Ali.

@Adam, Charles>Pep for sure. His best wins list is much deeper.

Last edited by Scottrf on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:43 am

Scottrf wrote:Ignoring the obvious which is no shock, I have no idea under what criteria other than 'number of fights won' you can rank Chavez above Ali.

He was just being controversial. Like how is Sugar Ray Robinson not on the list? Also Ray Leonard is a fighter many pick to beat Floyd, so it hurts his ego and he leaves him out.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:44 am

Here's Jeff Ryan's take in the Mail (boo hiss):

Ali, Robinson, Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard rank above Mayweather in most all-time, pound-for-pound lists, my own included.
When naming recently the best eight boxers I have seen live, I nominated:
1) Sugar Ray Robinson
2) Muhammad Ali
3) Sugar Ray Leonard
4) Marvin Hagler
5) Thomas Hearns
6) Roberto Duran
7) Evander Holyfield
8) Julio Cesar Chavez

That was before The Non-Fight Of The Century this May, so I left the last two places open in case Mayweather and/or Pacquiao proved worthy of joining the top 10.
On the night in Vegas, afraid not.
Other noble candidates ignored by Mayweather in a potential all-time list include Joe Louis, Henry Armstrong, Jack Dempsey, Archie Moore and Wille Pep…to name but a few.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3192528/Floyd-Mayweather-declared-greatest-fighter-time.html#ixzz3iUwjCzgF
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:46 am

Well fancy that.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You're better than d4 mate......But if you want to slum it..please do !!

Ryan's view is no better than mine or anyone elses..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Well fancy that.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You're better than d4 mate......But if you want to slum it..please do !!

Ryan's view is no better than mine or anyone elses..

More informed, though, surely? Ryan has seen them all fight live for a start. He's covered them from ringside.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:49 am

I tell you what. Hearns on his best night could top a list of best fighters. He has his faults, but at his best he is a nightmare.

I definitely pick him to beat Floyd and to beat him badly. He beat Ray in that rematch as well, no matter what the verdict says.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:51 am

Deary me...

Nat fleischer is more informed than probably anyone...he rated Dempsey higher than Ali...

Geez...............I grew up reading KO magazine with Jeff ryan...........Like everybody else he had his favorites...

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND PEOPLE CAN BE BIASED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:52 am

shenglong2015 wrote:
Rowley wrote:
shenglong2015 wrote:

Thoughts.

Hes the hot topic at the moment Rowley, think what it'd be like if he was a Brit, you lot would be going mental.

It's true - we can't get enough of McGuigan.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Deary me...

Nat fleischer is more informed than probably anyone...he rated Dempsey higher than Ali...

Geez...............I grew up reading KO magazine with Jeff ryan...........Like everybody else he had his favorites...

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND PEOPLE CAN BE BIASED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong Jeff Ryan. Why are all journalists biased against Mayweather? And the better bloggers? Weird isn't it?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:15 am

Because he is cocky and is still active??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:17 am

AdamT wrote:Because he is cocky and is still active??

Ah, so it's a conspiracy eh? What about Pacquiao then - he's left him off as well?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:19 am

Old is always better in boxing. New journalists will be kinder to Manny and Floyd in 20 years. I doubt Ray Leonard was a top 5-6 fighter while he was active in lots of journos eyes.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:26 am

Who wrote this Adam......

"Respected journalists had Hagler beating Leonard"

Jeff Ryan/KO magazine had Leonard winning 118-111....

Haz you're a complete tool..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:28 am

Gareth Davies has Manny and Floyd both top ten.

Or is he not respected enough because he covers UFC.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:32 am

AdamT wrote:Gareth Davies has Manny and Floyd both top ten.

Or is he not respected enough because he covers UFC.

Their opinions are no better or worse either...........

Haz published a list a few months back that had Mayweather behind Pedrosa at around 47....We were supposed to buy it because the guy was a journalist..

He probably thinks a political journalist in the Daily Mail is impartial...Because he's a journalist..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:34 am

I don't give a stuff about others opinions. I only care about my own. Bert Sugar is respected and he has Louis above Ali.

Why? Because louis was his hero. Everyone is biased to an extent.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:38 am

Bert Sugar had been around boxing for decades though, ringside, in gyms etc. So while I do think he talked some nonsense I think his opinions should be given respect because he was there are experienced the eras. A lot of other people are judging without context.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:40 am

Could care less about what he says. I respect he knows what he is talking about, but he is biased like the rest. Very few are impartial.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:40 am

AdamT wrote:I don't give a stuff about others opinions. I only care about my own. Bert Sugar is respected and he has Louis above Ali.

Why? Because louis was his hero. Everyone is biased to an extent.

Of course................I'm more biased than most and I admit it..

For what it's worth Captain has Floyd Top 10 as does Chris...........Hammer has him 11-15.........

Those opinions are just as good as Jeff Ryan.........

Who's right ???? Nobody because it's subjective...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:41 am

Your loss. It's just one opinion which needs to be taken with caution and other information but people with that much experience are a valuable source.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:44 am

I'd have to question that list on two levels; did he actually see Robinson why are the fellow greats of that era omitted and in what division.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:44 am

Scottrf wrote:Bert Sugar had been around boxing for decades though, ringside, in gyms etc. So while I do think he talked some nonsense I think his opinions should be given respect because he was there are experienced the eras. A lot of other people are judging without context.

Bollox.............People from Sugar's time exist in all sports.....

Trevino would kick Woods butt...........

He's as biased as anyone else...

His opinion is no better.......................What next...

Fleischer>Sugar ...

Do me a favor...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:44 am

Oh Bert Sugar is good to listen to, when he is talking about fighters. He obviously has seen fighters up close.

When it comes to lists, I don't care because he was biased, same as anyone.

Maradona was better than Best or Pele. My dad only admits it when he is drinking. Deep down he knows Maradona is better but would never say it sober.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:46 am

AdamT wrote:Oh Bert Sugar is good to listen to, when he is talking about fighters. He obviously has seen fighters up close.

When it comes to lists, I don't care because he was biased, same as anyone.

Maradona was better than Best or Pele. My dad only admits it when he is drinking. Deep down he knows Maradona is better but would never say it sober.

Exactly..............How can you have Louis number 1...........

What a d**k.

Ferdie Pacheco is "more informed" than me......."If Charles had fought Louis five years earlier he would have been a one round bum of the month!!"

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:47 am

It is similar to having Wlad ahead of Lewis because he has more defences.

Ali has a much deeper resume than Mr Louis.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:47 am

List are lists, they are all nonsense. I meant more for his opinions than pointless rankings.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:55 am

I agree with you there Scott...........He's got plenty of stories....

But just for good measure here is his top 10 heavies...

1. Louis
2. Ali
3. Dempsey
4. Johnson
5. Marciano
6. Charles
7. Tunney
8. Foreman
9. Frazier
10. Holmes.....

No bias there.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:57 am

I have Fleischer's Heavweight book at home. Might look if he has rankings in there, but I think he has similar opinions.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:59 am

[quote="TRUSSMAN66"]I agree with you there Scott...........He's got plenty of stories....

But just for good measure here is his top 10 heavies...

1. Louis
2. Ali
3. Dempsey
4. Johnson
5. Marciano
6. Charles
7. Tunney
8. Foreman
9. Frazier
10. Holmes.....

HaHa!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:11 pm

[quote="TRUSSMAN66"][quote="AdamT"]I don't give a stuff about others opinions. I only care about my own.[quote]

Posts on a forum - a device for debating ideas with other people.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

Scottrf wrote:Your loss. It's just one opinion which needs to be taken with caution and other information but people with that much experience are a valuable source.

Not if they disagree with the TBE crew. If they disagree with those geniuses, they're no better than D4.

It's amazing really that companies (TV and print) pay them for their expert opinions and don't just use the TBE crew's - which are free.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:16 pm

The companies are wasting their money when you look at some of the crap they come out with.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm

I tell you what. I would rather read the captains point of view any day of the week, than many Journos.

Haz I do enjoy reading your points, I would be lying if I said I didn't. You seem to be a bit more old school on your points of view but I enjoy reading about older fighters, even if I don't always agree with the views.

To be fair all banter aside, I have learned more about the history of the sport since I joined the forum and I am glad of that.

I don't always agree with people but I do value opinion.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The companies are wasting their money when you look at some of the crap they come out with.

Experts....

I don't know why Haz comes on here.....He isn't interested in opinions by no-nothing plebs like us..

I thought Swansea deserved to win against Chelsea on saturday...But Mourinho has more insight than me and thinks Chelsea deserved to win.....Not that he's biased !!!!

Told him once that Clancy scored the Hagler fight for Leonard..............and he said McIlvanney is more of an expert...

Like something an 8 year old would say........Pathetic...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:The companies are wasting their money when you look at some of the crap they come out with.

Experts....

I don't know why  Haz comes on here.....He isn't interested in opinions by no-nothing plebs like us..

I thought Swansea deserved to win against Chelsea on saturday...But Mourinho has more insight than me and thinks Chelsea deserved to win.....Not that he's biased !!!!

Told him once that Clancy scored the Hagler fight for Leonard..............and he said McIlvanney is more of an expert...

Like something an 8 year old would say........Pathetic...

Another quote twisted out of all context no doubt. You'd make a great tabloid journalist.

I'm interested in some opinions. I'm not at all interested in the one-eyed variety (although it does make me laugh seeing some of the drivel you churn out).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm

Not interested....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

So Mayweather discredits Ali for losing to Ken Norton '3 times', shows a lot of love and respect for Duran and bigs up JCC's achievements (including, by proxy, his win over Taylor)...

....surely Truss must be imploding right now.....???!!! laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 1:54 pm

Floyd had really weird picks. Though I am glad he picked Duran as one of his 5.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down