The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff

+25
doctor_grey
donglewood
No9
overlordofthewest
wrfc1980
glamorganalun
LondonTiger
Heaf
SecretFly
mikey_dragon
TightHEAD
wales606
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
irnbrew
Shifty
Cyril
George Carlin
RubyGuby
GavinDragon
majesticimperialman
wayne
Seagultaf
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff Empty Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:18 am

WALES v ITALY at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Saturday 5th September 2015 – Kick Off: 5pm
Referee: Jérôme Garcès (FFR)

TV Coverage: Live on BBC Two Wales

Tickets for the Wales v Italy warm-up match are available to purchase at the official WRU eTicketing website with prices from £20 – £35.

History

Italy and Wales have played each other at rugby union since 1994. A total of 22 matches have been played, with Wales winning 19, Italy winning two and one drawn match.[1]

Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff <a href=Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff Image12

Wales Team

15 L Halfpenny
14 A Cuthbert
13 C Allen
12 S Williams
11 G North
10 D Biggar
9 R Webb
1 G Jenkins
2 K Owens
3 T Francis
4 J Ball
5  D Day
6 J King
7 S Warburton
8 T Faletau.

Reps: 16 K Dacey, 17 P James, 18 A Jarvis, 19 L Charteris,  20 R Moriarty,  21 G Davies,  22 R Priestland,  23 M Morgan.

Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff <a href=Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff Image14

Italian Team

15 Andrea Masi
14 Leonardo Sarto
13 Luca Morisi
12 Gonzalo Garcia
11 Giovanbattista Venditti
10 Tommaso Allan
9 Edoardo Gori
1 Michele Rizzo
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 Quintin Geldenhuys
5 Josh Furno
6 Alessandro Zanni
7Francesco Minto
8 Sergio Parisse (capt)

Replacements: 16 Andrea Manici, 17 Matias Aguero, 18 Lorenzo Cittadini, 19 Valerio Bernabo', 20 Samula Vunisa, 21 Guglielmo Palazzani, 22 Carlo Canna, 23 Luke McLean.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 10 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff Empty Re: Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:23 pm

I won't put the team I up I would like to see until after he names the squad tomorrow but I think we need to give some of the big names another hit out then use bench wisely.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff Empty Re: Wales vs Italy September 5th Cardiff

Post by Seagultaf Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:28 pm

First game against Ireland we had mainly 3 rd choices starting, yesterday it was mainly Fitch choices, so will we see some more of the second choices start against Italy?

Changes from Saturday, Anscombe (at 15 if fit), Priestland, Davies, Baldwin, James, Charteris, and King?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:34 pm

I am guessing that those who make the squad but haven't played yet will get a start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Warburton cameo.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Gareth Davies and Priestlabd to start.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Gareth Davies and Priestlabd to start.
Is this definite or your pick?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm

wayne wrote:

I think it's likely to happen. They need a run out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

Cheers Maes, the player I would like to see play is Samson, and also to give Tomas another few minutes, with the scrummaging prowess of Italy it will give those 2 the exposure they need.

Last edited by wayne on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:26 pm

wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

Cheers Maes, the player I would like to see play is Samson, and also to give Tomas another few minutes, with the scrummaging prowess of Italy it will give those 2 the exposure they need.

Aye but I don't think Samson will be risked before the Uraguay match. I think we'll see Francis start and Jarvis bench as yesterday in Dublin.

I would like to see Baldwin start, probably rest Gethin, who I thought looked at his very best on Saturday. Start with James, Evans on for the last twenty-thirty minutes.

I'm not sure who will be the locks, I'd be keen to start AWJ and Charteris but bring AWJ off early doors.

Warburton needs a run, Moriarty too and Toby will want to play in sure. Maybe King on the bench and rest tips and lyds...!

As I said Davies and Priest to start. Scott and Tyler in the centre.

North is a very for back three as is Halfpenny. Maybe Amos too?

I am unsure as to who I would pick back three until I know what we have?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:37 pm

I'm pleased somebody else agrees with me and have 6 props, I want Samson to start as I want to make sure he is fit enough, I also agree with a lot of your selections, some of these players need play time to get a lot of the rustiness out of the system

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:39 pm

wayne wrote:I'm pleased somebody else agrees with me and have 6 props, I want Samson to start as I want to make sure he is fit enough, I also agree with a lot of your selections, some of these players need play time to get a lot of the rustiness out of the system

Aye

I don't think the warm up games are good for much more than match fitness, battle hardness and getting your head straight and out of the training paddock.

That's why I really believe yesterday's match will be very good for both Ireland and Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:30 pm

A lot of how this squad will be made up will depend on how the injured are coming along such as Lee, Williams and now Anscombe..

He may have to select a different squad that he would have if these guys were fully fit.

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Anscombe is a worry. His performance against Ireland a few weeks back encourage many of us to feel assured of his being a positive presence in the squad.

Realistically we would be lucky to field a team for anything with only one first choice or even squad player injured. We are in good stead of we are only missing foxy.

Reports on Lee are promising, Anscombe and Williams less so, they may be recovering well but time is running out.

We could go in to the England match without either.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Even if they are all fit for the England game they would have had very little game time at all.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Did Wales pick up many injuries on Saturday? I thought the team came off unmarked?

Will Warburton be fit for the next game?

Will Priestland get a run at 10 for the next game or will he bill bench again? Who is 3rd choice 10 if either Biggar or Priestland get injured?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Even if they are all fit for the England game they would have had very little game time at all.

If they make the squad and miss the England game they still have the Fiji game before we face the wallabies...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:26 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Even if they are all fit for the England game they would have had very little game time at all.

If they make the squad and miss the England game they still have the Fiji game before we face the wallabies...

Putting them out against Fiji would be a big ask physically, would he carry them that far into the tournament? We will soon find out tomorrow I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Yes lunchtime tomorrow we will know everything.

I think he will.

I have a thought that one of the front row positions might get cut to allow room for an extra back as injury cover.

A firm and for Anscombe and Williams make our squad look more threatening.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Maes,

if he does cut a front rower I do feel it will be a t/head and he will then use James or Jenkins if need be.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:14 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Maes,

if he does cut a front rower I do feel it will be a t/head and he will then use James or Jenkins if need be.

Asi keep explaining to you I don't think either of those guys can legally be selected as tightheads and both will struggle having not played that position since before the scrum rules changed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:03 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Asi keep explaining to you I don't think either of those guys can legally be selected as tightheads and both will struggle having not played that position since before the scrum rules changed.

So just because you keep explaining it to me I can't have an opinion on it. Legally on match day you are correct but if James is nominated as the tighthead for that day then its ok.

If there is a timescale that in which they must have played there then fine but all it says is that a player must have experience in that position, it doesnt say within the last x amount of years or under new laws etc. As I mentioned I hope he takes 6 props 3 each side but if he takes 5 I think it will be 3 loose and 2 tight.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:30 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

So just because you keep explaining it to me I can't have an opinion on it.  Legally on match day you are correct but if James is nominated as the tighthead for that day then its ok.  

If there is a timescale that in which they must have played there then fine but all it says is that a player must have experience in that position, it doesnt say within the last x amount of years or under new laws etc.  As I mentioned I hope he takes 6 props 3 each side but if he takes 5 I think it will be 3 loose and 2 tight.

I have looked and there is no timescale as I can see, so it depends on the referee/world Rugby's definition of experience.

I would presume that having played the position within the new laws at least would be the requirement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:34 am

You presume but not sure so again down to coaches refs etc
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:40 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:You presume but not sure so again down to coaches refs etc

And the coaches see james and Jenkins ranked as tughtheads behind Andrews, so that would mean with all players fit and well that they are sixth or seventh options at best.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 am

maestegmafia wrote:

And the coaches see james and Jenkins ranked as tughtheads behind Andrews, so that would mean with all players fit and well that they are sixth or seventh options at best.

If it was a one off game then I agree but as he will be trying to juggle his options I think its an option they will consider. I guess the over riding factor is how much faith they have in Lee being fully fit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:48 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

If it was a one off game then I agree but as he will be trying to juggle his options I think its an option they will consider.  I guess the over riding factor is how much faith they have in Lee being fully fit.

If the coaches were thinking of playing a loose head as a tighthead they would have experimented with it in advance of the selection date.

I think james and Jenkins are considered as our loosehead options and not as possible tightheads.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 am

I would go with the following xv

James
Baldwin
Francis
Davies
Charteris
Moriarty
Warburton
Faletau

Davies
Priestland
North
Williams
Morgan (subject to him being in squad)
Amos
Morgan (subject to him being in squad

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

If it was a one off game then I agree but as he will be trying to juggle his options I think its an option they will consider.  I guess the over riding factor is how much faith they have in Lee being fully fit.

If the coaches were thinking of playing a loose head as a tighthead they would have experimented with it in advance of the selection date.

I think james and Jenkins are considered as our loosehead options and not as possible tightheads.

They are obviously our 1st and 2nd choice looseheads but if he only takes 5 props then they may well be considered as options at tighthead if need be. All will depend on his selection and how they feel Lee is progressing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:09 am

Wales will cull the following 7 today:

Andrews
Jones (prop)
Ball
Day
Anscombe
Allen
Cuthbert

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 am

For Italy here's my shout

15 Amos
14 Walker
13 Williams
12 T Morgan
11 North
10 Priestland (don't ask why!)
9 Davies
8 Talupe
7 Warburton
6 Moriarty
5 Charteris
4 Davies
3 Francis
2 Baldwin
1 James

Cymru Am Byth

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:20 am

RubyGuby wrote:Wales will cull the following 7 today:

Andrews
Jones (prop)
Ball
Day
Anscombe
Allen
Cuthbert

Jones (prop) had already been ruled out hadn't he, Day and Allen yes I agree with. I am not sure if he will take Amos and Walker and think Cuthbert may sneak in, its a straight fight between Davies and Ball. I will be very surprised if Anscombe is dropped especially with doubts still surrounding Liam Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 am

Anscombe not dropped just too risky with injury

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:31 am

I meant Evans the prop not Jones BW can't seem to edit posts on my ipad

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:32 am

Well the word cull you used would be in my mind associated more with being dropped than ruled out through injury. Has there ben any news on him, i know he was getting assessed on the weekend.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 am

If we can put six tries on Italy, then I expect you fellers will beat them like they owe you money.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 am

If we can blast them away this year, then it would be nice to see us go for it again. We'll see Gatland's intentions with his backrow selection.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 pm

I meant Evans the prop not Jones BW can't seem to edit posts on my ipad

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:00 pm

George Carlin wrote:If we can put six tries on Italy, then I expect you fellers will beat them like they owe you money.

Like the turn of phrase there

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Have just heard that some of the players who didn't make the cut will be included in the squad against Italy on the weekend. Can't see the point in that myself.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:38 pm

So who do you guys want to see play Italy?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:41 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Have just heard that some of the players who didn't make the cut will be included in the squad against Italy on the weekend.  Can't see the point in that myself.
I take it that's allowed then?

I agree with you. Why arrange a warm-up game and then not use it to 'warm-up' the players who will be taking part in the tournament? Seems a bit odd (unless you're worried about injuries and just doing the minimum to honour commitments).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 pm

I find that statement by WG very strange, if players not selected in the squad are NOT allowed contact with the squad. How can they be selected for the Italy match?
Then yet he surely wouldn't say it if it wasn't true, or would he?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:10 pm

I think it would be good to see the following

James
Owens
Francis
Ball
Day
Lydiate
Warburton
Faletau
Davies
Priestland
North
Williams
Allen
Cuthbert
Amos

Jenkins
Baldwin
Jarvis
Davies
King
Williams
Biggar
Morgan

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Have just heard that some of the players who didn't make the cut will be included in the squad against Italy on the weekend.  Can't see the point in that myself.

Looks like the bazzers are doing the same...

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_75186,00.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I think it would be good to see the following

James
Owens
Francis
Ball
Day
Lydiate
Warburton
Faletau
Davies
Priestland
North
Williams
Allen
Cuthbert
Amos

Jenkins
Baldwin
Jarvis
Davies
King
Williams
Biggar
Morgan

Maes,

I would most probably start King, put Amos om in place of North and give Morgan a start at XV.

Who could cover 8 if need be?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:06 pm

King is possible 8 cover

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 pm

maestegmafia wrote:King is possible 8 cover

If that's who they have in mind then maybe he should be given a bit of time there on Saturday.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Or Warburton ala Pocock/Hooper for the ozzies

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:31 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Or Warburton ala Pocock/Hooper for the ozzies

Is was muted when he first came onto the scene that he could be a future No8, gues it would be a way of getting him and Tipuric on field at same time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next