The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24

+18
Happytravelling
jimdig
Rowley
rob-glos
Steffan
catchweight
milkyboy
3fingers
AdamT
Nico the gman
ONETWOFOREVER
Hammersmith harrier
dangerous_mouse
wheelchair1991
shenglong2015
Guest82
TRUSSMAN66
Pedro147
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24 Empty Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24

Post by Pedro147 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 4:50 pm

Kell Brook will defend his IBF World Welterweight title against Diego Chaves at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on October 24, live on Sky Sports.

Brook makes the third defence of his crown at his hometown fortress after ‘The Special One’ forced mandatory challenger Jo Jo Dan to retire after four rounds of his first defence there in March and then faced Frankie Gavin in his second defence in London in May, ending the Birmingham man’s challenge in the sixth round at The O2.

Brook will be hunting another stoppage win over Chaves, but ‘La Joya’ will be out to spoil the party. The Argentine enters the clash on the back of a split draw with Timothy Bradley having also taken on Brandon Rios and Keith Thurman in his last four fights, and the former interim WBA champion brings a formidable knockout record to trouble the Sheffield star, with 19 of his 23 victims not lasting the pace with the 29 year old.

“Chaves is a rough, tough, durable fighter who is very dangerous,” said Brook. “He’s bringing something new to the table. He’s coming off a draw to Tim Bradley, was ahead on the cards against Brandon Rios until he was disqualified and gave Keith Thurman a solid fight so we know what level he has mixed at and how good he is.

“It’s been a busy year so far boxing Dan in March and Gavin in May – this will be my third defence in seven months but a busy fighter is a happy fighter and I’m very happy at the moment. I’m looking forward to the next challenge and I’m feeling sharp after my break.

“I’ve seen some of Chaves’ quotes and it’s interesting to see he thinks he can walk me down and over-run me. I don’t think some fighters realise how big I am and how sharp and accurate I punch and I’m looking to make a major statement against him. If he does what he promises it’s going to be one hell of a fight.

“I’m so excited about boxing in my home town of Sheffield again. London last time out was a great experience fighting in front of nearly 20,000 but I’m excited to be back there – it is my home. I’m looking to excite like I always do and light up the Motorpoint Arena on October 24.”

“We know Brook is a tough fighter, very technical,” said Chaves. “He is a linear fighter, very frontal. He’s not a fast fighter. He is easily bothered by body punches, and that is one of our strengths. And I believe he has problems going backwards. We saw that in his fight against Shawn Porter. When Porter charged forward, Brook had trouble adjusting to that. But we know that he is a great fighter to face, and we are going to test his punching power too, because the opponents he chose so far have not been such great punchers as the ones I have faced lately.

“I feel that my confidence grows with this challenge, knowing that I will have to face a champion like Kell Brook in his home country in England. This raises the stakes for me, going up there as an Argentine, and as a huge underdog. We know all the bad blood that exists between Argentina and England, and this will give me much more strength. I will be making history if I defeat an Englishman in his own country.”

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24 Empty Re: Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm

1-2-1 ..............

Hope Brook fans are losing patience..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24 Empty Re: Kell Brook will fight Diego Chaves on October 24

Post by Guest82 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:02 pm

Good fight for Brook. Step up from Dan or Gavin. Not quite one of the big boys, but a reasonable name on his record if he does win.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:04 pm

Guest82 wrote:Good fight for Brook.  Step up from Dan or Gavin.  Not quite one of the big boys, but a reasonable name on his record if he does win.

Are you joking...................It's not a test before he fights for the title.....

It's his third crappy defence in a row..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm

Called it! Remember Truss?

Said it would be on October 24th same night as Fury v Klitschko.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

Here comes the PPV?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm

Yep you did mate...... Wink

No doubt it will be all Khan's fault....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:18 pm

I will not be buying the ppv

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm

Lets guess the cheesy title!

"Falklands Fury" - A showdown not to be missed!

£19.95 or £24.99 on the day - press your red button!

With an undercard including Argentina v England! When Chaves meets the unbreakable Special One.

And top of the bill...

"Golaith versus Golaith" when unbeaten British contender Tyson Fury takes on the immovable object in longtime kingpin of the heavyweight division Wlad Klitschko!

BUY IT! BUY IT NOW!!!!!

lol

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Wed 02 Sep 2015, 6:07 pm

Guest82 wrote:Good fight for Brook.  Step up from Dan or Gavin.  Not quite one of the big boys, but a reasonable name on his record if he does win.

Really, because he's "stepped up" from Jojo Dan and Gavin he gets credit? Isn't Kell Brook 30-something these days?

Odd how a person so mediocre in his line of work manages to attain fans or even die hard types. (I'm not referring to you in that last comment btw guest).

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 02 Sep 2015, 6:08 pm

I don't think you can call Kell Brook a mediocre boxer, his opposition may well be but he certainly is not.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

dangerous_mouse wrote:

Really, because he's "stepped up" from Jojo Dan and Gavin he gets credit? Isn't Kell Brook 30-something these days?

Odd how a person so mediocre in his line of work manages to attain fans or even die hard types. (I'm not referring to you in that last comment btw guest).

Silly post.......Brook has talent.......But it's getting a little silly now....

Hearn is turning more into Warren everyday..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:12 pm

Chavez is a better name then the Bundu's of this world but its his 3rd title defence when is Brook gonna be let of the leash against the real big names in the division but being fair to Brook he has tried to land Khan in the last years or so and i know you all would be happy to see that.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:20 pm

I think we have to show some balance here, none of the bigger names in the WW division seem willing to fight each other at the moment, all waiting for the possible Floyd call. I think blame needs to be shared around not just on Hearn and Brook

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:35 pm

Chaves has been dropped by 2 light hitters, in De jesus Paz 2%KO ratio and Gabriel Weiss 31% KO ratio.

This suggests to me he's chin isn't all that and Brook catches him he's gonna go and Brook will catch him.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:I think we have to show some balance here, none of the bigger names in the WW division seem willing to fight each other at the moment, all waiting for the possible Floyd call.  I think blame needs to be shared around not just on Hearn and Brook

Leave it out..

Milking is milking.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:48 pm

For heavens sake. Another sh1te ppv headline.

Need to bloody stack the undercard for this to take off.

Makes Floyd's fight vs Berto look like risk of the century. Perhaps Brook could fight Jim Watt next, for a step up in class.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

Brook fan, but this doesn't get you on the edge of your seat, Chaves will be totally outclassed in a meaningless matchup.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:02 pm

I like Brook too, but pointless defence again.

I understand the top fights are hard to get, but surely there is someone that could challenge him.

Fighting overmatched opponents, won't prepare him for Khan,Thurman etc.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:05 pm

AdamT wrote:For heavens sake. Another sh1te ppv headline.

Makes Floyd's fight vs Berto look like risk of the century. Perhaps Brook could fight Jim Watt next, for a step up in class.

He'll stack the card...............Selby ???? .......Woouldn't pay to watch Selby or Brook though if honest..

Selby will be a guy who you admire but won't want to watch..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

AdamT wrote:For heavens sake. Another sh1te ppv headline.

Expected response from you but Chaves is higher up the pecking order than Berto.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm

We don't want to go there really do we....

JO JO, Gavin and Chaves............

Maidana, Manny and Berto...........Think I know which is more impressive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

Hammer you are correct as usual.

Anyway I will hold onto my 20 quid and catch a replay. Fed up being robbed by crap ppv.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:I think we have to show some balance here, none of the bigger names in the WW division seem willing to fight each other at the moment, all waiting for the possible Floyd call.  I think blame needs to be shared around not just on Hearn and Brook

Leave it out..

Milking is milking.

Truss i respect you, however if you go over what i said i think you will find i said blame lays with them(for milking as you say) however i don't think its all their fault thats all. For example Khan and Thurman have also been milking for sometime themselves also. They all need to step up again fast

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm

It doesmt matter who the opponets are, its his 3rd defence in seven months. Most fighters would only have had one easy defence in that time, so I think the criticism is a little harsh. He's a new champ still trying to build a profile.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:50 pm

To be fair it is a step up.

Hopefully the Khan fight can happen next year.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:52 pm

What with the Argentine link, this could be a warm up for Maidana. Kell does a number on him and in doing so forces khans hand.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:59 pm

Truss I respect you too.

Just thought it needed saying.

It's not a great fight, but I don't think it's terrible, more in the average category... Looks worse as part of a run that goes dan, Gavin, chaves.

As fingers says at least he's active... If fighting stiffs counts as active.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:08 pm

I had hoped it would be a unification with Bradley myself

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:36 pm

milkyboy wrote:Truss I respect you too.

Just thought it needed saying.

No.........It goes without saying !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:40 pm

Has Khan announced who hes fighting next yet? Its getting close towards his fight date

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:46 pm

Brook is milking mate................

But Boxing is a tough business and If you can get away with it...do it !!.........

But don't try to sell it as anything it's not.......It's garbage.

Won't be buying it...............and I advise other people not to......

Won't be watching Mayweather and Groves either.....As I refuse to buy boxnation..

Wavering on Wlad v Fury though.................Always loved the heavies..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:55 pm

Matchroom have been pretty poor this year. Was there even any boxing on last month? Good cards are few and far between and generally looked to be put on ppv. Hopefully thing will pick in the later part of the year. I have been looking forward to Smith v Fielding for a while now and am glad its finally on. I dont like where Matchroom are going with their boxing product I must say though.

I guess we can "hes keeping busy" to "hes a new champ", "he got stabbed", "Khan is ducking him" validation for another uninspiring Brook match up. I think Khan v Brook is too big not to happen but looks like it would only happen in a stadium in the UK and that ship has probably sailed now until next Summer.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:57 pm

No doubt this will all be Amir Khans fault or Brook is a good prospect and is working his way up through the ranks

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Brook is milking mate................

But Boxing is a tough business and If you can get away with it...do it !!.........

But don't try to sell it as anything it's not.......It's garbage.

Won't be buying it...............and I advise other people not to......

Won't be watching Mayweather and Groves either.....As I refuse to buy boxnation..

Wavering on Wlad v Fury though.................Always loved the heavies..

Truss again i'm not disagreeing it is garbage but to totally blame brook is wrong others like Amir and Thurman also need to stop milking.

If you want to watch Wlad v Fury i have a feeling this will come with that fight on ppv

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:59 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
dangerous_mouse wrote:

Silly post.......Brook has talent.......But it's getting a little silly now....

Hearn is turning more into Warren everyday..

Silly logic....... my car has more power than a F1 car and is faster........ I prefer to leave it garaged.......... and collect fans of my potentially talented car..........

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

You can't say Brook is mediocre in his line of work....That's just silly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:50 pm

Even if paired with Fury-Wlad I definitely won't buy this one.

Obviously I always say this and always buy it... But this time I mean it.

Probably.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:30 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:

If you want to watch Wlad v Fury i have a feeling this will come with that fight on ppv

I said that weeks ago when Fury vs Wlad was announced. That fight alone was never strong enough to carry a PPV, particularly with the quality of K2 undercards. Hearn will do a UK show, saves Hearn having to carry a PPV on his own without a mega headliner and get all the grief that normally attracts and ensures the Fury fight does decent enough numbers to justify the outlay on buying it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You can't say Brook is mediocre in his line of work....That's just silly..

It's silly to assume what someone is capable of going on imagination.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm

How do you know he's mediocre then ??

Dear oh dear..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm

To say brook is mediocre is plain daft

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:43 pm

It'll arguably brooks 2nd hardest fight on paper!!!!

That's the definition of damming with faint praise.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu 03 Sep 2015, 11:08 pm

There's a lot of people who have lost my respect, for proclaiming respect for truss :-p

Only joking truss! But you are being a bit harsh on kell. There isn't huge activity in the division, he is being active and the opponent did push Bradley.

But do understand the disappointment.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How do you know he's mediocre then ??

Dear oh dear..

Erm, jojo dan, gavin, not exactly what I would consider world class, more closer to mediocre on the boxing spectrum.

He stays quiet until all the major welters are tied up in fights, announces fight against Chavez, but lets imagine he'll do some damage against top welters.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:51 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:To say brook is mediocre is plain daft

Elaborate.

To describe his "career" as anything higher than mediocre is daft.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 04 Sep 2015, 2:14 am

The definition of mediocre is putting in mediocre performances against mediocre opponents

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:08 am

If Brook can just keep this up for a few more years, pick out two Vegas clashes with waning light middleweights at the end of his career, he'll be the greatest British fighter ever.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:46 am

You say all that but Thurman and Khan are fighting equally poor opposition as for Porter well Brook did beat him. Saying he's mediocre is going too far to a prove a point.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 04 Sep 2015, 9:48 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I don't think you can call Kell  Brook a mediocre boxer, his opposition may well be but he certainly is not.

Whilst I don't think Kell is mediocre. How do you rate him differently if you only rate his opposition are mediocre? Surely you're only as good as who you've fought?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next