The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1

+36
Notch
mikey_dragon
ScarletSpiderman
funnyExiledScot
TightHEAD
Jimpy
SirBurger
Ozzy3213
BigTrevsbigmac
DaveM
Exiledinborders
No 7&1/2
bedfordwelsh
doctor_grey
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
king_carlos
bluestonevedder
lostinwales
killer938
George Carlin
maverickmak
brennomac
propdavid_london
Gooseberry
yappysnap
HongKongCherry
TJ
Seagultaf
nathan
BamBam
broadlandboy
Geordie
Big
LondonTiger
Welly
40 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1 - Page 10 Empty Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1

Post by Welly Fri 04 Sep 2015, 3:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

2015/16 Senior Squad ATM:
Coaches: Cockerill (DOR), Mauger (HC), Hansen (Defence + Skills Coach), Blaze (Ass. Forwards), Murphy (Ass. Backs)
1/3) Ayerza, Balmain, Brugnara, Cole, Mulipola, Pasquali, Rizzo
2) Youngs, Ghiraldini, Bateman, Thacker
4/5) De Chaves, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Slater
6/7/8) Crane, Croft, Fonua, McCaffrey, O'Connor, Pearce, Williams
9) Harrison, Kitto, Youngs
10) Burns, Williams
12/13) Bai, Loamanu, Roberts, Smith, Tuilagi
11/14) Benjamin, Betham, Camacho, Goneva, Thompstone,
15) Bell, Morris, Tait

2015/16 Development Squad: Oliver Byrant, Jake Farnworth, George Tresidder,  Will Owen

2015/16
Greg Bateman (Exeter)
Mike Williams (Warriors)
Mike Fitzgerald (Chiefs)
Opeti Fonua (Welsh)
Brendon O'Connor (Blues)
Peter Betham (NSW Waratahs)
Lachlan McCaffrey (London Welsh)
Jono Kitto (Bay of Plenty + Cheifs Development Squad)

Transfers Out 2014/15:
Paul Burke (N/A)
Phil Blake (N/A)
Neil McCarthy (Glous)
Tom Price (Scarlets)
Geoff Parling (Exeter)
Neil Briggs (Sale)
Julien Salvi (Exeter)
Pohe (USC)
Brad Thorn (Retirement)
Peterson (Glasgow)
Hamilton (Coventry)
Bristow (Wasps)
R.Williams (?)
Whetton
Hepetema (BoP)
Allen (Retirement)

Last edited by Welly on Mon 30 Nov 2015, 11:01 am; edited 3 times in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:11 am

Wasps have a hybrid pitch at the Ricoh as well.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Leicester Tigers Thread 2015/16 A New Beginning Part 1

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 30 Jan 2016, 7:55 am

DaveM wrote:I wonder where Tigers got their hybrid pitch from? They seem to work brilliantly elsewhere.

Also you have to wonder if there is evidence of Saracens and Newcastle having greater incidence of impact related injuries, given their player play on the pitches the most in the AP?

More of a case that the hybrid pitch is old and decrepit and needs replacing but Oval Park isn't owned by Tigers and there's issues with changing anything there. Also it's expensive to rip it out and install a new one which will also have a shelf life.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 31 Jan 2016, 2:10 pm

The McGuigan rumours as a replacement for Leo seem to be building once again.

Logo - France?
Rizzo
Aguero
Brugnara
Pas - Hopefully stays
Croft - How much game time he gets at the business end of the season with Williams and O'Connor back may sway him.
Crane - Pearce seemingly leaving improves his chances of getting another contract. Whatever happens I'd like to see Milne promoted.
Pearce - Sale?
Bai - Coaching?
Roberts - Worcs?
Benjamin
Goneva - France?
JDV - No idea until he plays a game, probably retirement or Japan with JPP signed.
Loamanu - Pastures new
Camacho - Pastures new

Those are the guys still out of contract. LH remains completely up in the air. I'd love Logo to stay but can't see it personally as he must have some big offers on the table as a high quality prop who can cover both sides of the scrum.

With McCaffery now first choice 8 we currently have 4 number 8s and 1 openside it could be argued. If Crane and Pearce depart the funds could be aimed at a new 7 to back up O'Connor. Or McGuigan signing could see Thacker shift to the back row...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 31 Jan 2016, 2:44 pm

I think Crane and Pearce can come back and force McCaffery to 7 if they work hard. Both offer significantly more control at the base of the scrum both are taller jumpers at the line out. They've just got to up their work rates and force Fitzgerald back into the second row as in reality that's whose keeping them out. McCaffery and Croft are stand outs and then we're picking a big unit to offer balance. The battle is to be that unit.

Personally I'd like us to keep the back row options we have. There's good options there we just need to promote Thacker in whatever role is decided and Owen to give the pack some more capabilities at the breakdown. I don't think we need another seven just yet. Plus long term I'd rather jettison Fonua and keep Pearce.

Loosehead is a difficult one, everyone is after quality props and Mulipola is going to be having big money waved at him. Just hope we can retain him and Aguero. That would give us good options and allow us to bring through Pas and Hogan. One of Brugnara and Sio will probably be offloaded. At least McGuigan will be cheaper than Leo so that'll free up some cap.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 31 Jan 2016, 3:13 pm

Pas and Hogan both TH's.

Hills is the TH coming up (Been injured start of this season mind.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 31 Jan 2016, 4:43 pm

TH is well stocked Welly. LH less so with Logo, Aguero and Rizzo out of contract plus Brugnara and Sio not kicking on as hoped. Marcos is about the best foundation we could have to build behind though.

I'd like to keep Pearce but it sounds like he's heading elsewhere. It would be a shame as he's impressed on recent outings and could keep improving. Plus he's a local lad.

Crane I wouldn't be as concerned about losing now. He's been a great club servant and an important part of some very good sides but McCaffery and Pearce have demonstrated what a more dynamic 8 can do. Not knowing what Fonau truly offers yet does make things more complicated though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Feb 2016, 4:03 pm

http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/leicester_tigers_development_squad.php

The development squad has finally been updated.

Charlie Beckett (Lock/6 Eng U20)*
Oliver Bryant (10/12 Eng U20)
Wesley Douglas (13/11/14)*
Will Evans (7 Eng U18)*
Jake Farnworth (2 Eng U20)
Alex Galletly (Lock Scotland U20)*
Owen Hills (LH Prop Eng U20) *
Dan Hogan (TH Prop)*
Joe Maksymiw (Lock Eng U20)*
George Murrin (6/7/8)*
George Nairn (2)*
Paolo Odogwu (Wing Eng U20)*
Will Owen (6/7 Eng U20)
Oliver Povoas (6/7/8)*
Stone Priestley-Nangle (6/7/8)*
Charlie Thacker (12/13 Eng U20)*
George Tresidder (9)
Fred Tuilagi (8)*
George Worth (15)*

Inside centre is well stocked with Bryant and Charlie Thacker coming through. Similarly openside and TH with Owen and Will Evans both very well considered, TH as well with Hogan and Hills.

Is Ed Milne away with a championship side full time this season does anyone know? I remember he impressed with Cornwall last year. Along with Beckett he's guy I really want to see push into the senior squad to bolster back row options.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 01 Feb 2016, 4:06 pm

Milne was with Coventry last season.

On loan at Rosslyn Park this season as he has gone to Uni.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Feb 2016, 4:17 pm

Cheers Welly. He always looked a good player with the capacity to be very dynamic around the park. Hopefully he comes back to the senior squad at some point.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 01 Feb 2016, 4:26 pm

Would like to see back row depth of next season (if Pearce goes)

6) Williams, Croft, Slater, Fitz, Beckett
7) O'Connor, MCCaffrey, Owen
8) McCaffrey, Fonua, Crane, Milne

With Evans, SPN, Murrin, Fred Jnr and Povoas being looked at for the future.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

Only change to that I'd make is Thacker at 7 Welly. We need to find a position for him given how talented he is around the park, he simply won't fulfill his potential at hooker.

I do fear that Seb De Chaves may look elsewhere if he doesn't get more game time. With Slater, Kitch, Fitz and Barrow in front of him he hasn't featured much and it doesn't look like he'll break through. He was massive for us last season and when he started against Saints he looked even better again. Surely others would be interested if he wanted to look elsewhere and it would be no surprise if he wanted more game time.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:42 pm

Cockers has stated that Slater may be fit for the visit of Sale on Saturday.

He also states that Tom Youngs will start and captain the side now he's available again and Leo Ghiraldini is fit for selection. He also praises the performances fromBateman and Thacker at Kingsholm so perhaps he may not bring Leo straight onto the bench. With the 6 Nations underway I'd be surprised though!

There is also a VERY vague update on Mike Williams and O'Conner saying both are progressing, "though neither is likely to feature in the next couple of weeks".

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 03 Feb 2016, 5:35 pm

Great news if Slater is back. A game off the bench against Sale to ease him in would be ideal. We've really missed him at times, particularly in against Stade when his leadership and attitude were sorely needed.

Good to hear that Williams and O'Connor are getting there. Didn't expect Williams back much before the end of Feb so he's at least on track.

Need to be wary of Sale this weekend they are a potential banana skin and we aren't exactly firing on all cylinders up front. Having said that I'd like to see some rotation, particularly in the backrow as Sale are a powerful outfit and a menace at the breakdown.

Logo, Youngs, Balmain, Barrow, Kitchener, Pearce, McCaffery, Crane with a bench of Ayerza, Leo, Pas, Slater, Croft. Give Fitzgerald a rest he's certainly earned a week off and whilst we have lock options we might as well give it to him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:05 am

conditions were dreadful, but the performance of Leo and Bateman at lineout was dire. Four times we had lineouts close to the Sale line - 3 were crooked and one overthrown and knocked on.

Sale had one such chance and bundled Beaumont over.

Mind with cipriani missing five kickable penalties - we were well beaten.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

Guess Leo it was hard considering how long he was out and the was a late change for starting.

One of those things IF we can win rest of our 6N's games then great, if not it could be very costly.

Veainu, Slater and Youngs would of made a huge difference IMO BUT that team still needed to perform.

Honestly we need to think about our depht going forward

Are
Bateman
Brugnara
Tiz
Thacker (at Hooker)
Sio
Roberts
Loamanu
Camacho

Up to it?

Worrying a lot of our front row depht have question marks over it.

We need IMO.
Veteran LH if Rizzo and Aguero go
Experienced TH not going to be away with internationals I like Balmain but we need to try and get something like similar to White, Castro, Cole going on again.

I would be tempted to replace the two Italians with Hogan and Hills maybe, I feel they need to have game time maybe in the championship or a club like wuss to get a good run.

Hooker we need a experienced player or a AP proven youngster (maybe both of Farnworth isn't coming up).

Lock = Perfect for me Slater, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Barrow, De Chaves and Williams plays there is great and we have two Age grade internationals in Maksymiw and Galletly in academy/development squad.

6 = I'm fine with Williams, Slater, Fitzgerald, Croft and McCaffrey can cover bring up Beckett who fits the first 3 moulds.

7 = Again with O'Connor, McCaffrey, good would bring Owen and maybe try out Thacker there for Depht.

8 = Depends who stays sounds like Pearce and/or Cole are off in which case we will need a 8. Fonua will depend on fitness would like to see Milne up regardless.

9 = Perfect for me.

10 = Good Williams, Burns and Toomua great but I wouldn't say no to maybe finding another bell maybe Umaga and Bryant can cover. hopefully Williams will sign another contract next season

12 = Should be fine for me JDV 50/50 ATM would def replace Bai (retirement most likely) with Bryant and Roberts (rumoured Wuss) with C Thacker.

13 = Again should be fine Manu, Tait, Catchpole with JPP Betham and Smith cover.

11/14 = Assuming JPP is a replacement for Goneva prob roughly same cap from what I have heard Niki is on, Betham (a more natural Wing), Veainu (prefer to see him FB TBH) and Thompstone and Morris both in contract fine if not many injuries But would like to see us keep one of Benjamin/Camacho for depht bring up Odogwu and maybe look for a project youngster maybe a Morris type or even from Championship who can cover 11/14/15

15) Veainu, Tait, Morris, great IF fit, a 11/14/15 would complete it Worth is also looking interesting prospect.

So for me sign a
LH
H (maybe 2 depending on Farnworth/Thacker)
TH
11/14/15

Bring up some of the academy players and that should cover our depht.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:06 am

We're rumoured to be long at Scholes the young Ulster wing/fullback. He seems to be struggling for game time and is either thinking of raising his profile over here or using us to get a better contract over there. A good footballing wing ala Morris and Hamilton would round out our options nicely as Odowgu is the next academy cab off the rank and is a pure speedster.

We need to be putting a chunky contract in front of Mulipola and reminding him about his family links to the region. A new contract for Augero and we can focus on hookers. It is a concern our development loose heads aren't progressing. At hooker we need an experienced option. I don't think a development option like McGuigan who is cack at throwing in is really for us at the minute.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

Welly wrote: Honestly we need to think about our depht going forward

Are
Bateman
Brugnara
Tiz
Thacker (at Hooker)
Sio
Roberts
Loamanu
Camacho

Up to it?

nope, I do not see any of them as being good enough.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:53 am

Welly wrote:
So for me sign a
LH
 H (maybe 2 depending on Farnworth/Thacker)
TH
11/14/15

Bring up some of the academy players and that should cover our depht.

Agree with that Welly.

If we can get Pearce to stay then bring Milne up as well that would sort no 8 for me. Fonau is still in contract, although we don't really know what he can do as of yet. A quicker Beaumont style 8 to link with the backs would be great but also hard to get a player in that mould of real quality - plus Milne could be that in time if brought on well. Once fit O'Connor plays that linking role well anyway.

LH depth and our reserve hooker is priority 1 for me though. We have to get that right in order to not run Marcos and OTY into the ground. Hopefully Logo can be tempted as Sam says, that would go a long way to easing some nerves I currently have.

I really had high hopes for Pasquali and hoped he'd kick on. His scrummaging seemed to be steadily improving and he was a real handful around the pitch. He definitely reminded many of Castro and not just due to the hair! Sadly seems to have fallen off this season though. If he can pick back up then I'd happily have TH depth of Cole, Balmain, Pasquali, Hogan and Hills.

Another set-piece rock such as White for the winter months would be fantastic but it's easier said than done to find one these days. Plus even once found there would be the not insignificant issue of paying another strong scrummaging TH. I say we back Hogan and Hills to keep improving.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 07 Feb 2016, 2:09 pm

Pasquali has looked a steady third/fourth choice when called upon. I think if we could get him a full season playing in the Championship then he'd be a real asset for us. Long term. Brugnara I'm not so confident about and Sio who knows the coaches seem to have no faith in him.

Ideally we'd retain Rizzo and Augero for next season giving us;

LH - Ayerza, Augero, Rizzo
TH - Cole, Mulipola, Balmain

Farm out Pasquali and whichever LH prospect we retain to the Championship for a season. Recall them for LV and international periods. That way the season after we'd hopefully be in a more steady place. I just can't see us re-signing all three of those props. Rizzo is probably off to France, I wouldn't be surprised if Augero is thinking likewise whilst the world is Mulipola's oyster.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 07 Feb 2016, 3:09 pm

Well Charlie Beckett has thrown me off course with my planning.

Started @ Tighthead prop for Leicester Lions today!!!!

Confirmed on Twitter it is his new position.

Could we have a Haymen type prop? Has plenty of time to bulk up though considering how long props can last.

Fingers crossed.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 07 Feb 2016, 4:19 pm

Tight head? That's very specialist. You'd have thought moving to loosehead would have allowed him to progress quicker and become more technical later. We might have a qqueue of tight heads coming through soon. He's definitely physical enough for the challenge.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 07 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

I think with the new rules Loosehead has become the harder of the two from what I have heard.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:46 am

I think you notice when a technical loosehead is on his game ala Ayerza but there's still a few who get by with some technical knowledge and some raw power. Beckett is a big bloke so you'd think he'd have the power. Having said that you'd have to assume people with more expertise than us have advised him. He has a damn good flanker for his age anyway so they must have seen real potential in a move to the front row.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:01 am

He's made the move reasonably early so hopefully it pays of for him! Given that he had a good chance of doing well as a blindside it is a bold call.

1.Ayerza, Mulipola, Aguero/Rizzo/Signing, Brugnara/Sio
2.OTY, McGuigan, Bateman, Farnworth
3.Cole, Balmain, Pasquali, Hogan, Hills
4.Slater, Barrow
5.Kitch, Fitz, De Chaves
6.Williams, Croft
7.O'Connor, McCaffery, Thacker, Owen
8.Pearce/Crane, Fonau, Milne

9.YBY, Harrison, Kitto, Tressider/White
10.Burns, Williams

11.Veainu, Thompstone, Odogwu
12.Toomua, Smith, Bryant
13.Tuilagi, Catchpole/JDV/Roberts
14.JPP, Betham, Benjamin/Camacho
15.Tait, Morris

With the versatility of Tait, Betham and JPP in the backline I'd be happy with those back options. We ideally need either JDV to stay or one of Catchpole/Roberts to kick on to add some more depth to the centres but with all three of those versatile guys well capable of covering it isn't as vital as the forward signings.

With the strength in the second row plus the experienced and quality of the flankers in the squad I think this is a very good time to filter guys like Milne and Owen into the senior squad.

The front row will likely need more risks taken. Like Sam says a decision needs to be made on Pasquali, Brugnara and Sio. Either keep them in the squad and back them or let them go. Personally I really want Pas to stay involved but he has to play to improve so perhaps Championship rugby could do him a lot of good.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm

I think Pas has reached a level where it's game time or gone. He seems able to do the job when in the first team environment (struggles with the A side aside) but he isn't good enough to force his way in. Dan Cole was in a similar situation and then went and played with Notts for a year. Toughened him up and he went from strength to strength. I think the same needs to happen again.

Agree with you on the back line. I'd still love to see us back Bryant at 12 because his passing game is so strong and would offer us a lot.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

From what I remember Hills has always played Loosehead not Tighthead.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

Welly - I was under the impression he could play either, played more age group rugby at LH but was now settling more at TH?

I may be getting mixed up with others though! Given the amount of strength and conditioning work Englands age group set-up get through we tend to see quite a few eye catching props as they are just such monsters for their age. Maybe I'm getting Hills confused with another of the batch...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:59 pm

Last game I saw him play U20's 6N v France he came on at LH

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:25 am

Mercury has Burns as the only fit fly half in the first team this weekend. Good opportunity for Bryant from the bench or do we use Harrison to cover? I'd like to see Bryant on the bench and maybe given a run at 12 for the last fifteen if all goes well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:37 am

Barrow banned again, he really needs to sort hi stemper out, and Slater's hand will not have healed.

I fear we could be struggling to get anything tomorrow night.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:53 am

Ayerza is due to return as is Youngs so that will help a bit. Is Pearce fit because it would be a good time to have him available particularly given the surface and Crane's knee injury history. I'm feeling pessimistic as well as we don't seem to have the same knack we used to for grinding out wins mid winter.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Feb 2016, 12:14 pm

Leicester Tigers (v Newcastle Falcons, away, Friday 7.45pm)
15 Telusa Veainu
14 Peter Betham
13 Mathew Tait (c)
12 Matt Smith
11 Gonzalo Camacho
10 Freddie Burns
9 Sam Harrison
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Fraser Balmain
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Tom Croft
7 Lachlan McCaffrey
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 Harry Thacker
17 Logovi'i Mulipola
18 Greg Bateman
19 Sebastian De Chaves
20 Laurence Pearce
21 Jono Kitto
22 Oli Bryant
23 Jack Roberts

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:32 pm

Whats happened to O'Connor? serious injury? He was looking to be quite useful for a bit there......bit of a fetcher.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

He's due back for Quins the weekend after this propdavid. There hasn't been much info given about how serious the injury is, given he is basically playing two seasons back to back it may be a case of the coaches being careful with him leading into the business end of the season.

Tuilagi and JDV could both be back by then as well in the centre. As should Goneva and Thompstone out wide.

Slater would have been on the bench last week until his frozen bagel dabacle... Hopefully he'll be back soon enough once the stitches are healed!

Mike Williams is due back for the London Irish game on 28th Feb.

All in all guys are slowly creeping back to fitness at a useful time which is great. We just need to make sure that the injuries don't build any further before then! And of course get a win at KP tomorrow night...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Feb 2016, 3:11 pm

Players coming back, fit and rested will be wondeful.

Would love to put out the following 23 against stade:

Marcos, Logo, OTY, Leo, Cole, Baltrain
Ed, Kitch, Fitz
Williams, Croft, BOC, Locky

Lenny, Sam, Owen, Freddie
Smith, Manu, TV, Tait, Betham, Thompstone

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Feb 2016, 3:37 pm

Agree with all that LT.

There will be a very tough decision on one of Kitch and Fitz if both of them and Slater are fit at the same time. Not to mention Barrow having impressed (but also shown a poor control of his temper) and De Chaves being so good against Saints in his one start.

I feel that it's currently the unspoken thought amongst many Tigers fans but I have a bad feeling that Seb may move on sooner rather than later if he isn't getting game time. He was excellent for us last season and in a few opportunities this year has looked even stronger. Powerful, industrious second rows are a asset to any Prem club so he'd definitely have options if he wanted more game time.

I'd still be interested to see how a big carrying 8 could affect our play. Locky has been outstanding at 8 but Pearce/Fonau hauling us over the gain line could give a real platform to launch YBY, Manu, TV, Betham, etc from. Mike Williams adds more than a bit in heavy duty carrying when fit though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:08 pm

Mike Williams was a stand out for the first couple months of the season. Looking forward to seeing him back as his power and work rate was very impressive. We've missed him at times.

Not sold on Seb. Sometimes he'll look an accomplished second row and other times he'll be very frustrating as he'll give away a cheap penalty or be out of position. He's definitely improving though and I think he'll be a good AP starting lock with another season under his belt. Can see him moving though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Feb 2016, 7:04 pm

Barrow has impressed so much, and the England locks are looking settled with no need to call on ours. Cannot see Seb wanting to stay with four people ahead of him.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Feb 2016, 7:24 pm

Barrow made some blunders early in but as you say has been impressive of late. Seb isn't a fifth choice lock and if he went somewhere like Sale could play first team rugby for two years and then probably find his way into a top team match day squad or French pay day.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 15 Feb 2016, 6:29 pm

I was away for the weekend so missed the Falcons game live. Finally brought myself to watch it in two sittings today. I can't really add to much to what I've read on the round 12 thread to be honest.

The bits that struck me most were:

- The ease with which our forwards were over powered. In collisions too many of our tacklers were being carried over the gain line and in attack where too often they were knocked back. Crane and Kitch both really disappointed here. Lochie is looking a bit knackered as well - understandable after so much game time thus far.

- Our maul defence. Yes OTY, Cole, Slater, Barrow and Williams were out but Marcos, Fitz, Kitch and Crane are all usually strong here. The Falcons were setting the maul with such ease and then being allowed to roll and reset too quickly. Yes mauls are currently too powerful once set but we can and should be doing better than that even against a Newcastle side who were functioning very slickly there - Robinson impressed again.

- Our tactical kicking was really poor. Harrison and Burns failed to stamp any authority on which section of the pitch the game should have been played. TV whilst electric in attack lacks Taits tactical nous at the back. Goode really gave them a lesson in territorial play.

If Slater and O'Connor are back this weekend then I'd start both and give Kitch and Lochie a break. Pearce should be rewarded with a start and I'd drop Crane from the 23 with Thacker covering back row from the bench. If we start with a Croft/BOC/Pearce back row then BOC could cover 8 and Fitz or Slater moved from the boiler room to cover 6.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

Thacker and Pearce should be starting for me. Ward vs Thacker would be great to watch and we often get overrun by Quins at the breakdown so more mobility the better.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 15 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm

If O'Connor is back (and of course fully fit) then I'd want him getting the start first and foremost. Given Croft was one of the few starting forwards not to seriously disappoint in that Falcons game I think it'd be harsh to drop him. Given I want Kitch rested and Pearce starting at 8 I also think Croft is great for balance.

If Tom Youngs is fit to start then the possibility of Thacker at 7 would get a boost given Tom adds so much physicality and great breakdown work.

If OTY, Slater, BOC and Manu are available then I'd like to see.

Ayerza, Youngs, Balmain, Slater, Fitz, Croft, O'Connor, Pearce
Harrison, Burns, TV, Smith, Manu, Betham, Tait

Reps: Leo, Logo, ?, De Chaves, Thacker, Kitto, Bell/Bryant, Goneva/Thompstone/JDV/Roberts

I think that starting line-up would represent a good balance of making changing what needs changing without throwing the baby out with the bath water. With potential injury returnees the bench is up for debate.

If Tiz is fit then I'd like him on the bench covering TH. Bateman isn't a prop.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Feb 2016, 8:03 pm

Given Burns went off with a head knock I doubt he'll be available. Bell should return and Bryant looked completely comfortable off the bench vs Falcons. He had no nerves stopping his flat miss passes flying perfectly to hand. I'd have just liked to see more of him than two phases of attack.

If JDV and Manu are both fit then I'd consider resting Smith who looks tired and understandably so. Roberts played well off the bench and I'd not be concerned about involving him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm

U18s thrashed Wasps in the 3/4th playoff spot today for the U18 League. Anyone kno wif the No8, Zak Poole, is related to Jonnos former second row partner Matt Poole. I am guessing probably not - but it would be great to have another son coming through the ranks.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

No don't think so.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm

Quick Google search has him as the pride of his local school. Pretty sure those school articles would have mentioned his dad when he signed for Tigers academy if it was Matt.

From the pictures on Google he's a big bloke for 18. Hopefully he's got the skills and mobility to go with the size.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:37 am

Is the Umaga who played at 12 Mike's son?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:52 am

Yep.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 16 Feb 2016, 10:44 am

Seems to be one for the not to distant future as well. Wonder if he'd opt for England or head for the silver fern should international considerations come up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:53 pm

As his dad has been based in England for the last 18 years or so - he must have had all his upbringing here. Hard to break into the Kwi system unless based there and a big move for him to make. Could be eligible for Samoa via grandparents maybe?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next