The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+35
dynamark
beninho
pedro
super_realist
JAS
Diggers
Sand
navyblueshorts
Be_the_ball
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Hibbz
Plunky
golfermartin
I'm never wrong
hend085
Redrage
MontysMerkin
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
puligny
gw
Eyetoldyouso
BlueCoverman
barragan
Davie
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
LadyPutt
McLaren
Roller_Coaster
Nay
ralphjohn69
incontinentia
MustPuttBetter
Shotrock
39 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 6 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Shotrock Tue 23 Jun - 17:15

First topic message reminder :

Congrats Super!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 6 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 12 May - 17:30

Mac, I don't think Roller or myself were saying it was okay to move the impediment if it was in the hazard. Both Roller and myself accept JAS's line that it was outside of the hazard and based our responses on this.

I believe they were looking to check whether they could move something "blocking" the shot and that's where intended ball path comes into it.

Super, you have to be very careful with natural, loose impediments in hazards. If there is a local rule you can move stones in a bunker but anything natural is not to be disturbed unless identification or actually seeing the ball is an issue. Always check the card before chucking a stone out as it would mean a penalty if it's not listed.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 6 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Thu 12 May - 20:30

Yep I think moving stones in a bunker is covered under local rules - of which 99% of clubs implement that local rule; but in the straight rules of golf it's not allowed. Same as having a sprinkler head on your line of chip or putt - in the rules of golf you don't get relief from that - but 99% of clubs implement a local rule that allows it (preface all of the above with "I think")

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 12 May - 22:30

Well managed to get a full 18 in tonight, chipping still iffy, but improved. Putting was excellent tonight (26 putts) although i did miss a 6 footer for a par on the 18th and level par back nine. Which would have been the first time i have ever managed a level par 9 holes.

So all in all an excellent round of 76, albeit it was from yellow tees.

Hole 1: par - 1 putt (O/G) / 1 putt
Hole 2: Bogey - 1 chip / 2 putts
Hole 3: Bogey - 1 putt
Hole 4: Triple - 1 chip / 2 putts (pressure of the play thru)
Hole 5: par - 2 putts
Hole 6: par - 2 putts
Hole 7: par -1 putt (o/g) / 1 putt
Hole 8: par - 2 putts
Hole 9: par - 1 putts

Hole 10: birdie - 1 putt
Hole 11: bogey - 2 putts
Hole 12: birdie - 1 chip / 1 putt
Hole 13: bogey - 1 chip / 1 putt
Hole 14: birdie - 1 putt
Hole 15: par - 1 putt (o/g) / 1 putt
Hole 16: par- 1 chip / 1 putt
Hole 17: par - 1 chip / 2 putts
Hole 18: bocey - 1 chip / 2 putts

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 12 May - 23:05

Played a few seniors scratch events past few weeks - Kingsdown, Burnham and Berrow, Parkstone and Kirby Muxloe. Gawd it's been tough - UK is more windy, and wet at inappropriate times than in recent times! Lightning at Burnham something to behold - frightened the bejesus out of me, but even more so the chap who was teeing off when the ground turned white all around us!
Burnham has the best/most difficult green complexes I've ever played.
Lack of grass growth a real problem in the south right now - prompted CONGU to recommend extending winter rules to end of May - but no problem growing rough in Leicestershire! KM is one of two courses to be used for English Seniors at end of May (Rothley Park the other one) so good to get an outing in advance. Not the smartest course but a real test, and a terrific club atmosphere. Many thanks to all concerned for letting 110 golfers have use of the course for a couple of days, before they do the same again for a whole week at the end of the month.
Oh, and found one of the best coffee shops in the world (my ranking) with a stupendous bacon butty. Leicester aren't only Premiership champs!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 13 May - 10:11

Hi Puligny - I played in the Seaton Robson Trophy at Aldeburgh last Friday, 36 holes scratch medal. A tough course (Par 68, SSS 73) as I believe you know, I seem to recall you have played in the English Seniors there previously?

I made the buffer zone in both the morning and afternoon rounds. Having just celebrated my 55th birthday this has given me sufficient encouragement to enter both the Essex Seniors Championship and the Suffolk Seniors Championship later in the year, for the experience if nothing else.

I recently had the good fortune to sell my business to one of the leading Insurance Brokers in East Anglia. Semi-retirement gives me the opportunity to not only play more but practise as well, something that time restraints having never really permitted in any seriousness during normal working life. Needless to say I am looking forward to this summer enormously.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 13 May - 11:52

Don't you need a local rule enabling you to move stones in bunkers. I think the general rule prohibits this?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 13 May - 16:16

Blue - yes it's a cracking course - not sure it wouldn't be improved by having a couple of par 5s, as it can seem a bit of a slog. English Seniors was there, linked with Thorpness, another very good and tough course. Also had a UK Seniors event at Aldeburgh last year. Apparent they had taken a lot of gorse and trees out, and it's all the better for that!Good scoring to make buffer in successive rounds - well done.
You'll have to have a look at UKSGA website. Some really good courses - 15 events this year, plus plenty of clubs do their own seniors scratch events - North Foreland, Kingsdown, Burnham and Berrow, Parkstone, Hankley Common, Worplesdon, high Post, Southport and Ainsdale, Wallasey, Hunstanton, etc etc. Of course you might not like the thought of "seniors" but my tale is I didn't find these until I was a few years past 55, and I reckon I missed out. I think combined handicap of top 5 at this weeks event was 2! Some really good players, and some good fun.
Anyway again, good scoring at Aldeburgh - just as a matter of interest what did CSS get to. If I remember right on both my visits we've had one round 76/RO!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 13 May - 22:38

Thanks Puligny - CSS in the morning was 76/reductions only, pm it was 74.

Cheers for the info, I will have a look at that website with interest. Good luck for your season, I look forward to reading about it on here.

Played in a society day today at Colchester, shot 79 for 33 points. Was a little distracted from the golf at times by tales of drunkenness and debauchery from some of the reprobates in the society who had just returned from a golf trip to Portugal. "How long were you there for?" I politely asked the organiser. "5 days, 1 night" came the reply! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 15 May - 9:49

Blue, Puligny, maybe you can provide me with some advice. Planning a weekend trip with a couple of mates over the summer.

I fancy Norfolk: Hunstanton and Brancaster. My mate is suggesting Suffolk: Aldeburgh and Thorpeness. Any views on which is the better option?

Thanks.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 15 May - 10:33

Ray - like choosing your favourite child! You won't be disappointed with either.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 15 May - 10:55

... But one point Ray - if you want to see the sea from the course it will have to Norfolk!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 15 May - 20:28

Ray I have to agree with Puligny, that is a real toughie!...Hunstanton and Brancaster would just edge it for me purely because of the sea. If you can manage to find a couple of extra days throw in Sheringham and Cromer as well for a fantastic trip!

One word of warning though if you are an odd number...Aldeburgh operate a two-ball or foursomes only policy and last time I played at Brancaster it was the same.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 16 May - 14:55

Thanks guys. Yes it seems they are all great courses and the green fees are similar too so a bit of a dilemma! I favour Norfolk for the links effect.

Aldeburgh, Hunstanton and Brancaster are all 2 ball courses. We should be a group of 4 and I quite fancy alternating between singles and foursomes.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 17 May - 9:19

Alternate shot on a trip away Ray? I quite like the format occasionally, but going away I'd personally rather play the whole of the course myself, particularly if they are good ones.

Also, and I admit to being a bit of a cheapskate here, I'm not paying a full fee for effectively half a round!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 17 May - 9:44

Played Hunstanton and Brancaster last year and was very impressed, smashing courses, great welcome, clubhouse and meal. One of the best trips yet!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 May - 10:17

Roller_Coaster wrote:Alternate shot on a trip away Ray? I quite like the format occasionally, but going away I'd personally rather play the whole of the course myself, particularly if they are good ones.

Also, and I admit to being a bit of a cheapskate here, I'm not paying a full fee for effectively half a round!

Agree with the sentiment Roller. I was thinking about 36 holes in a day, 18 holes singles in the morning then a fun foursome in the afternoon (or vice versa).

Like you, I'd never go on an away trip to play half a round.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 17 May - 11:04

We played in 2's which was a bit weird but the courses were so good, it didn't seem to matter...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 17 May - 11:25

Ahh right. If doing 36 a day it might be quite a fun idea (and less taxing - I'd probably struggle to do golf justice over 36 a day now). If I could, then BBFB matchplay would get my vote for the second lap. Still a full lap and can have a few quid and forfeits for the next day for the fun (hideous shirts/hats to be worn by the losers etc).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 17 May - 11:37

Played 81 holes over the course of the weekend. Feet were in tatters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 17 May - 12:23

was that 4x 18 holes and a 9 hole round.

How did you fit all that in?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Tue 17 May - 13:25

"Two ball or foursomes only".  Pardon my ignorance but I've not come across this before.   So if you're a group of 4, you have to play alternate shot ?  What if you're just two people, will the course combine you with two others and have you play alternate shot or can you go out as a regular twosome ?  What if you show up on  your own
looking  for a round of golf ?

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 17 May - 13:26

Fri, Sat, Sun Mac.

18 on Friday
36 on Saturday
27 on Sunday.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 17 May - 13:51

In comps or just for fun?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 May - 13:52

Plunky wrote: So if you're a group of 4, you have to play alternate shot ?  
YES

Plunky wrote: What if you're just two people, can you go out as a regular twosome ?
YES

Plunky wrote: What if you show up on  your own looking  for a round of golf ?
Don't know but I assume you get paired up with another single if it's busy.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Tue 17 May - 14:18

Thanks ! Our local course over here says "foursomes" but that just means they'll send you out in groups of four -- they don't care what you do once you're out on the course.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 17 May - 14:53

It's cos of the tides, one part of the course is a bit dicey at hightide (so I'm told) so they prefer you to play at 2 ball pace.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 17 May - 15:28

McLaren wrote:In comps or just for fun?
Two comps, rest for fun. Weather was good, so I thought why not?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 May - 18:36

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:In comps or just for fun?
Two comps, rest for fun. Weather was good, so I thought why not?

Ahh, those carefree happy days. One of my mates is in this position but the rest of us are under the thumb.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 23 May - 10:07

Went up ahead of tee time to hit a few wedges to groove tempo, loosen up, see what the wind was like etc.

Plan - 3 balls up and down the practise ground 3 times, about 24 nice easy wedges.

Lost balls: 1
Duffs: 2
Tops: 3
Shanks: 6 - 8
Confidence: 0

Incredible. Just could not hit it properly.

Had a few putts and played in the comp.

18 points (+4) out nothing worse than a bogey, 22 points back (-1) 8 pars and a dog. Won. Go figure.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 23 May - 11:22

Who knows why Roller, I think that's the reason we love this game! Laugh

Played in the Eastern Counties Cup yesterday at the beautiful Woodbridge Golf Club in the heart of the Suffolk Countryside. An East Anglian order of merit qualifier this trophy has been played for since 1897. Restricted to a field of 66 players with a maximum handicap of 12, although the vast majority were category 1 and 20 of the competitors were 3 or under including a number of scratch golfers and two at +1.

Was not feeling completely out of my depth at the start after 2 reasonably good rounds at Aldeburgh in the Seaton Robson Trophy a couple of weeks ago when I made the buffer zone both rounds. Any nerves were soon settled with a good opening drive and a short iron onto the green, but then managed to 3 jab it! 3 over after 5 but a good birdie at 6 and then 3 pars saw me turn in 38. A steady back nine of 3 over gave me a 75, nett 69 and I sat down to lunch in 4th place.

The afternoon round was a rare joy as I hit it as straight as I think I ever have. With 3 to go the putter had given me 4 birdies and I was only 1 over. It was dawning on me that I was probably in with a great chance and that was the cue for every muscle in my body to tighten up. The next hole was a par 3 and my subsequent pulled 7 iron left me a horrible lie in the rough and my only double bogey of the day followed. I thought that was my chance gone but I got my head back in gear and finished with two good pars for a 73, nett 67.

I won it by 2 strokes. I couldn't believe it and I still can't quite believe it this morning that I managed to beat all those young guns from all over East Anglia. Handicap reduction to 4.9 which may open one or two doors for me. Possibly even on the fringes of the Suffolk Senior County squad, I really hope so!

Last edited by BlueCoverman on Mon 23 May - 11:42; edited 1 time in total

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 23 May - 11:30

clap

Great work Blue

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 23 May - 12:56

Well done Blue. Great stuff, at this rate you'll soon be making the acquaintance of Puligny at major senior events.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 23 May - 13:00

Cheers Grumps, but lets not get carried away! laughing

Just a pity I could only manage joint runner-up in the fantasy league, so nearly the perfect weekend! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 23 May - 14:03

Note it was major with a small w. I'm not suggesting, at the moment, that you'll be meeting Monty and Langer at Major senior events...

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 23 May - 14:19

I'll have you know that Monty signed my cap after his play-off win at Woburn last year... Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 23 May - 21:19

That's fantastic Blue well played. I guess you've escaped the 5/6 bounce for a while at least.

I led a field of proper low handicappers (I'm off 5/6 depending on the ECG) after 18 in a mens open last year but bottled it in the second round and missed out on a two man play-off by two. Won the handicap element but it counted for sh!t in truth.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 May - 21:47

Hibbz, did you enjoy the cup final?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 23 May - 22:01

Spent some time wondering why you were asking Mac but I figure you've got me muddled up with my old sparring partner Mystiriokey who was/is a Palace fan, is that right?

If not, then as someone who barely watches football anymore, I thought the 1st half was sh!t and was irked by all the fuss over the Palace's disallowed "goal" when Man Utd clearly stopped playing once the whistle was blown and Palace would not have scored otherwise and then I turned it off after it went to extra time because I didn't wish to see Palace lose in extra time and Man Utd celebrate like it was some great achievement.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 May - 22:13

Hibernian won the Scottish cup. Obviously nothing to do with your name. Doh
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 24 May - 9:24

Lost the winter league final on Sunday. 1 down all the way round till a birdie on 15 and a 12ft par putt win to go up 17 1 up (with a shot si 2) On in 2 and bloody 3 jabbed! Never mind I thought 1 up down the last. Knocked it to 10 ft on 18 and partner to 6 ft. Oppo cans it from off the green, I leave mine in jaws, and partner lips. Extra holes. Both drive into Poopie on first and lose to par. What a way to go... Shocked Sad Rolling Eyes
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 24 May - 11:23

Well done blue - great stuff thumbsup

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 24 May - 11:24

BlueCoverman wrote:I'll have you know that Monty signed my cap after his play-off win at Woburn last year... Laugh

As long as he didn't sit on it...

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 24 May - 11:28

McLaren wrote:Hibernian won the Scottish cup. Obviously nothing to do with your name.  Doh

Hardly merits a mention really. Such a poor standard. Halifax beat Grimsby 1-0 in the FA Trophy final at the weekend, not sure which is more prestigious.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 May - 11:39

Agreed, Scottish Football is absolutely terrible. They should stop trying to compete with other countries and do what Norway and Sweden do and play over summer.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 24 May - 13:40

raycastleunited wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:I'll have you know that Monty signed my cap face after his play-off win at Woburn last year... Laugh

As long as he didn't sit on it...

Fixed it Made it more childish and ridiculous for you.

Posted with apologies for my idiocy.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 24 May - 14:28

Great work Blue! clap thumbsup
A friend of mine is a member at Woodbridge, loves the place. Never been but he raves about it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 24 May - 21:05

That's made me feel quite ill Roller... Laugh

Thanks a lot guys if anyone is feeling really, really bored there's a short report on it at www.suffolkgolfunion.co.uk under News/Eastern Counties Cup

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 24 May - 21:18

Blue are you wearing another bloody Ping shirt??? Will this mean they will sponsor you full time now?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 24 May - 21:43

You mean there are other shirts available Grumps??... Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 May - 21:57

great win blue.

Jason Day like, you lapped the field. Only player to go under par in both rounds. thumbsup
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next