The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL

+6
Good Golly I'm Olly
LondonTiger
chichestersurryfan
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY vs  NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL - Page 2 Empty SURREY vs NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Sep 2015, 1:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP SEMI FINAL AGAINST THE NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ON MONDAY AT THE KIA OVAL.
Jason Roy is unavailable due to his England Selection for the current One Day Series against Australia but Gary Wilson returns to the squad after missing Surrey’s Quarter Final because of Ireland duty.
The Surrey squad to play the Nottinghamshire Outlaws in the Royal London One Day Cup at the Kia Oval on Monday 7th September :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
kapil and dunn will be cheering the team on from the sides clap
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs  NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL

Post by guildfordbat Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:23 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Sanga's innings was spectacular in its inevitability. He never bullied the bowling (except maybe Gurney on over 49) but never looked like being dismissed. A masterclass and a privilege to have been here to see it all.

If Notts make 301 to win they will be worthy finalists.

A wonderful, wonderful game and day.

Simon is absolutely right about Sanga's innings being a masterclass and a privilege to witness it. However, even more pertinent imo, is his comment about Sanga never looking like being dismissed. Even though he wasn't always timing the ball sweetly in the early stages, there was never any suggestion of him being uncomfortable at the crease and consequently no encouragement for any of the Notts bowlers. As the innings continued, both his daring and his timing became astounding.

Sanga received useful support from Foakes, Burns and Wilson. Whilst it would have been good to have seen one of those push on and go on further, it was probably more important that they concentrated on staying with Sanga rather than trying to match him. The only Surrey batsman to completely miss out was Davies - no comment; I missed his dismissal as some idiot driver crashed his car into Vauxhall Bridge delaying my arrival by train! mad

I did feel we should have got after Mullaney's bowling more though. He generally bowled a good line but didn't have the pace or variation to look particularly threatening. Suspect Foakes and Burns would have been kicking themselves for falling to him. Had we lost (and boy we came mighty close), those two wickets and Mullaney's tidy economy rate would have featured heavily in the inquest.

Credit to skipper Read for giving Mullaney his full 10 overs on the reel. I've said before that captains too often try to be too clever and muck things up by mixing up their bowling too much - just like a batsman, a bowler needs to find rhythm and, where possible, be given the opportunity to maintain it. That said, Read could have used some of his other bowlers better. I thought Broad should have bowled more than 8 overs - not because he's an international but because he was normally there or thereabouts.

I also note Simon refers to the 49th over of our knock. As it turned out, over 49 was highly significant in both innings. Gurney going for loads whilst Dernbach conceded only 5 and bowled our usual nemesis Read. Dernbach gets a lot of stick from Surrey supporters at the Oval and elsewhere but I thought he did pretty well today.

Great credit once more to the Currans for their efforts with the ball. Tom held his nerve well at the end whilst Sam's opening spell was electric. However, probably the most significant and surprising contribution came from Kapil. His dismissal of Christian was crucial. Whilst Smith's century was brilliant in its battling way and essential for Notts' comeback, another couple of overs with the accelerating Christian at the wicket would most probably have changed the winners and losers of this compelling match.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs  NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs NOTTINGHAMSHIRE OUTLAWS ROYAL LONDON CUP SEMI FINAL

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:53 pm

With promotion secured, there is a sensible opportunity before the final to rest a player during the Lancs match if that makes sense, for example Sanga if he is exhausted after his efforts today or anyone else has a niggling injury.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:30 am

kapil didn't do enough to dislodge burke for the final so will it be heartbreak for foakes or wilson? Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:43 am

That's a ridiculously tough call jimbo - personally I'd go with That's all (I think he's the better bat and gloveman personally) but get the feeling they will plump for Harold
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:04 am

JimBob / Olly - sorry, bit slow here. Not exactly sure what you are getting at? Do you mean that Burke will replace Kapil for the final and that Foakes or Wilson will need to make way for the returning Roy?

Not completely certain of that. I wouldn't rule out both Kapil and Burke missing out. I think several will be sweating on their place until shortly before the toss.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:17 am

I'd presume Burke will come in for kapil yes Guildford. I can't see us risking going in with only five bowlers, especially when these guys can all do a decent job with the bat.

Rumors that dernbach has tore his calf muscle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:40 am

Congrats on holding your nerve in a tight finish.

And what about that Sangakarra fella, looks like a promising talent.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks, Olly.

That sounds bad news about Dernbach. I meant to caveat my last post with ''subject to no injuries''.

I agree only (five) main bowlers is a risk - and an even bigger one if death bowler Dernbach is missing - but I reckon it'll at least be considered. At a stretch Roy could bowl 3 or 4 overs.

I would emphasise that I'm flagging possibilities here, not making recommendations.

PS I agree with you about Foakes being the better gloveman although I do think Wilson's work behind the stumps is often under rated. Yesterday he stood right up and kept very well to the bowling of Kapil which generally helped keep the batsmen in their crease and the pressure on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:50 am

LondonTiger wrote:Congrats on holding your nerve in a tight finish.

And what about that Sangakarra fella, looks like a promising talent.

Thanks, Tiger.

Yeah, we're bringing this Sanga guy on well.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:42 am

Good win guys. Caught the end of the game so didn't see much of the younger Curran. The older one desperately needs a haircut though. Awful.
Dernbach bowled very well at the death.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Good win guys. Caught the end of the game so didn't see much of the younger Curran. The older one desperately needs a haircut though. Awful.

Thanks, Jimbo. thumbsup Yes, hairdressers across the county and much of London are, I imagine, probably desperate to get their shears to work!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 12 Sep 2015, 9:39 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:Good win guys. Caught the end of the game so didn't see much of the younger Curran. The older one desperately needs a haircut though. Awful.

Thanks, Jimbo. thumbsup Yes, hairdressers across the county and much of London are, I imagine, probably desperate to get their shears to work!

If T Curran doesn't get his hair cut before then, i suspect that one or two choice comments from the local patrons when we play our CC1 game at Yorks next season might convince him to. I can't see them being too complimentary and, frankly, who can blame them. Tom - for your own sake, either let it all flow (a la Ryan Sidebottom) or get the shears out

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2