The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada

+20
Gwlad
Cyril
LondonTiger
Wi11
lostinwales
BamBam
GunsGerms
SecretFly
Marshes
Poorfour
Pete330v2
rodders
Fanster
blackcanelion
profitius
ChequeredJersey
Biltong
Tattie Scones RRN
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Empty RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada

Post by Pot Hale Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:53 am

First topic message reminder :

RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Canada10 RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 France10 RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Irelan10 RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Italy10 RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Romani10
Teams

Ireland (6) [10/1]
France (7) [18/1]
Italy (14) [2500/1]
Romania (17) [5000/1]
Canada (18) [5000/1]

Fixtures

19 Sep Ireland v Canada
19 Sep France v Italy
23 Sep France v Romania
26 Sep Italy v Canada
27 Sep Ireland v Romania
1 Oct France v Canada
4 Oct Ireland v Italy
6 Oct Canada v Romania
11 Oct Italy v Romania
11 Oct France v Ireland

The pool with 50% of the Six Nations teams competing in it.    

Romania are one ranking higher than Canada and having won their last two most recent games against them, they are likely to be fighting Canada for avoiding bottom spot on 6 Oct.

France get a somewhat tough match up first with the Italians likely to be at their prickly best and their game against Wales still in their minds.   France have the advantage of a 10 day rest up from their match against Canada before they play the likely pool decider against Ireland.  However, if Canada rest some of their players for their more 'important' match against Romania 5 days later, France may not get a good performance work-out before their pool decider.

Ireland can expect a bruising going over in their first match against Canada with Kiwi, Kieran Crowley, looking for his troops to take advantage of any rustiness in the Irish side, although Crowley may also be eyeing up their second match against Italy a week later as a more realistic prospect of gaining some points.

Italy meet Ireland in their third match on 4 Oct who may have one eye on their likely decider against France 7 days later.   Ireland should have enough to put them away but it could come at a cost.  The shorter turnaround time frame may tell against them, particularly if they've been smashed about a bit by Italy's upfront men.

France might do just enough in their opening games to secure the wins and then be primed and ready for Ireland in the second last pool match of the RWC to top the pool.

Or could Italy catch France cold in their opening match, and open up the possibility of another pool to be decided by match points.

New Zealanders seem to be divided on who they want/don't want to meet in the quarters from this pool - France for 2007 revenge say some, Ireland because they'll be easier, say others.

Have at it.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 12:48 am; edited 7 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Empty Re: RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada

Post by SecretFly Sat 12 Sep 2015, 9:28 pm

Sometimes Parisse is a liability for them too any way, when he gets into his feverish 'give-me-the-ball-and-I'll-win-this-fecking-game-on-my-own! mood. He does try to overcompensate for the gaping holes in the player base and sometimes ends up just over-complicating the sense of confusion.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Empty Re: RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada

Post by Biltong Sat 12 Sep 2015, 10:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:Sometimes Parisse is a liability for them too any way, when he gets into his feverish 'give-me-the-ball-and-I'll-win-this-fecking-game-on-my-own! mood.  He does try to overcompensate for the gaping holes in the player base and sometimes ends up just over-complicating the sense of confusion.

Completely agree with that. I don't see him as a team player when the chips are down.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

Parrisse is a god among ants.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 14 Sep 2015, 11:33 pm

God Ant
God Ant
Godant, Godant, Godant
Godant, Godannnnnnnnt
Goddd AntGodAnt.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:15 am

SecretFly wrote:Sometimes Fly is a liability for them too any way, when he gets into his feverish 'give-me-the-pen-and-I'll-win-this-fecking-thread-on-my-own! mood.  He does try to overcompensate for the gaping holes in his intellect and sometimes ends up just over-complicating the sense of confusion.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool D - France Ireland, Italy, Romania, Canada - Page 2 Empty Henshaw injured - Fitzgerald replaces

Post by Pot Hale Thu 17 Sep 2015, 12:34 am

Joe Schmidt due to announce his match day squad today and is likely to have a couple of surprises/raised eyebrows:
The bad news is that Henshaw is injured and Luke Fitzgerald takes his place, rather than the more natural Darren Cave.   McGrath likely to start with Healy on the bench, and Henderson has done enough to get ahead of Toner for this first match.

R Kearney; D Kearney, J Payne, L Fitzgerald, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, M Ross; I Henderson, P O’Connell (capt); P O’Mahony, S O’Brien, J Heaslip.

The bad news is that Henshaw is injured and Luke Fitzgerald takes his place, rather than the more natural Darren Cave.   McGrath likely to start with Healy on the bench, and Henderson has done enough to get ahead of Toner for this first match.

Schmidt looking to put his strongest line-up out there.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:33 am

so Huget is out for the RWC and a few months after that (ACL tear). Replaced by Remy Grosso (Castres winger, played for france 7s this summer as well, quite physcical) - quite a ballsy decision given he is uncapped and wasnt even in the group that prepared for the RWC. Will probably feature against Canada.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:38 am

Sorry(ish) to hear about Huget - fantastic player but glad not to face him -hope he makes a full recovery.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:42 am

Remy Grosso...Remy Grosso. God, Joe will be panicking trying to find that lad's file IN his filing Keyobinate..... Joe hates not knowing someone.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:02 pm

French B team for Roumania : 13 changes in the first XV.

Dulin ; Guitoune, Fickou, Fofana, Nakaitaci ; Tales, Parra; Ouedraogo, Picamoles, Nyanga; Flanquart, Le Roux ; Atonio, Szarzewski, Debaty.

Subs:: Kayser, Ben Arous, Mas, Maestri, Chouly, Kockott, Michalak, Bastareaud.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 24 Sep 2015, 1:16 pm

Picture doing the rounds of a French lock gouging a Romanian lock. Could be out for the tournament is the Galarza precedent is anything to go by.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Sep 2015, 1:37 pm

It seems gouging is back in vogue big time   ........................ even in the GAA Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:13 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Picture doing the rounds of a French lock gouging a Romanian lock.  Could be out for the tournament is the Galarza precedent is anything to go by.

really? that's not good given we only have 3 locks + 1 BR that is meant to be able to play lock in the squad.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:27 pm

whocares wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Picture doing the rounds of a French lock gouging a Romanian lock.  Could be out for the tournament is the Galarza precedent is anything to go by.

really? that's not good given we only have 3 locks + 1 BR that is meant to be able to play lock in the squad.

Yep, here it is:

http://www.the42.ie/half-time-update-france-v-romania-2348024-Sep2015/

Doesn't look great

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:32 pm

Without seeing the video footage, could that not just be his hand dropping down after failing to get up in front of the Romanian for the lineout throw? The still image might not tell the whole truth

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:35 pm

Yes it doesn't look good but is meaningless without the context

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:39 am

A fairly facile win for Ireland against Romania 44-10 leaving them top of the group for this week.

Next up France v Canada. That should be enjoyable.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:46 am

Pot Hale wrote:A fairly facile win for Ireland against Romania 44-10 leaving them top of the group for this week.  

Next up France v Canada.   That should be enjoyable.

Harsh I think. Was France's win more impressive? Much of a muchness. To be honest if both teams are playing their cards right, none of these build-up games should give any indication of what to expect..

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:02 am

Marshes wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:A fairly facile win for Ireland against Romania 44-10 leaving them top of the group for this week.  

Harsh I think. Was France's win more impressive? Much of a muchness. To be honest if both teams are playing their cards right, none of these build-up games should give any indication of what to expect..

Why harsh? It was a facile win. I wasn't making any comparison with France's win over them at all.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:25 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Marshes wrote:

Why harsh?   It was a facile win.  I wasn't making any comparison with France's win over them at all.

For me it's not without difficulty to put a team like Romania away with conviction, particularly for Ireland who have slipped up in the group stage before. It's a bit weird maybe but I consider it somewhat of an achievement to meet the expectation of Ireland fans in the two opening games, it being the most that could be done. Not saying that should be where the bar is set, but I' think undersells the quality and control I saw they were in.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm

France team for Canada :
Spedding ; Grosso, Bastareaud, Fofana, Dulin ; Michalak, Tillous-Borde ; Le Roux, Chouly, Dusautoir (cap.) ; Maestri, Papé ; Slimani, Guirado, Ben Arous.

subs : Kayser, Debaty, Mas, Nyanga, Ouedraogo, Parra, Tales, Dumoulin.

main talkign points are...
Picamoles rested : good albeit Chouly is not great option at 8.
Grosso first cap on the wing : logical choice
Dulin on the other wing : very odd, he's a fullback who was far from impressive against england in the warm ups. certainly wont play there again so nothing to learn and will struggle big time agaisnt DTH. why not give a second game to Guitoune who while he can be weak defensively at least scored two tries against Romania.
halfbacks : Kockcott who looked like our best SH recently is not even on the bench
No lock on the bench...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Sep 2015, 1:11 pm

Presume Le Roux covers lock as he played there against Romania....cant understand why Chouly is in the squad let alone playing. He never looks interested...agree about Guitoune who looks like he could do damage.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 29 Sep 2015, 3:03 pm

The only two remaining wingers from the original squad are Nagataichi and Guitoune. They will start against Ireland, so why risk having to play either Dulin ( out of position) or Grosso (uncapped and new to the squad) if one were to get injured against Canada?

Why is Chouly in the team? let me think , maybe because he is one of the best lineout forwards in Europe? maybe because he is fit enough to last the whole game, allowing le Roux to move to second row in place of Pape, and bring on two fresh wing forwards to exploit the spaces around the fringes of rucks and mauls in the second half.

Hopefully Kockott isn't being risked because SA realises he is the better bench option ( or starter?) to have instead of Parra and is keeping him fresh for the Ireland match.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 29 Sep 2015, 3:18 pm

I think Kockott is clearly number 3 in PSA mind and nothing will change that. Maybe you're giving too much credit to PSA Sensiball Smile Sure Chouly is great as a line out operator and can fit as a flanker but when it comes to the other backrower jobs (tackle, rucks ) he's clearly not up there compared to the likes of Warburton, Hardie, SOB, POM, Lydiate etc etc Much prefer to see Le Roux or even Nyanga at 8.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 29 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

I think that Chouly is best as a6, then 8 then a 7 ( not really quick enough for the role). I think he does most aspects of back row play without being a standout anywhere ( apart from his lineout). Whilst Picamoles is in great shape just now, usually he is carrying too much ballast and flags after around 60. Chouly is extremely fit and plays well for the full 80 allowing other players to be subbed and bring more energy into the back row.
Back row of Chouly, Le Roux and Picamoles would be my starting choice. Nyanga and Dusautoir to come off the bench replacing Picamoles and Le Roux - with Le Roux replacing Pape, would be a failry formidable back five and be enough to put Ireland's pack under severe scrutiny. I guess we'll see next week if that is how it pans out.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

I would be delighted to see chouly playing against Ireland...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:00 pm

bar injuries, the starting team against Ireland is probably going to be the one that started agianst Italy (except Huget) :
Ben Arous, Guirado, Slimani
Maestri , Pape
Dusautoir, Picamoles, Chouly
Nakaitaci, Fofana, Bastareaud, Grosso/Dulin/Guitoune
Spedding

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

whocares wrote:bar injuries, the starting team against Ireland is probably going to be the one that started agianst Italy (except Huget) :
Maestri , Pape
Spedding

and Tillous Borde at scrum half and Michelak at out half? As long as Parra isnt selected I think Ireland will win. If Michelak starts it might make it a bit easier too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
whocares wrote:bar injuries, the starting team against Ireland is probably going to be the one that started agianst Italy (except Huget) :
Maestri , Pape
Spedding

and Tillous Borde at scrum half and Michelak at out half? As long as Parra isnt selected I think Ireland will win. If Michelak starts it might make it a bit easier too.

yep sorry about that, those 2 will start.
subs should be debaty, Kaiser, Mas, Le Roux, Nyanga, Tales, Parra, Fickou/Dumoulin

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2