The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

+16
sirfredperry
kingraf
TRuffin
summerblues
LuvSports!
YvonneT
HM Murdock
slashermcguirk
Henman Bill
It Must Be Love
temporary21
bogbrush
laverfan
Born Slippy
Jahu
JuliusHMarx
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? Empty US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:25 am

Order of play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? Empty Re: US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Post by Jahu Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

Watched Roberta Vinci yesterday, holy mama, attacking tennis, at the net, SHBH, amazing.

Hope she makes the final, not seen quality WTA tennis since Henin quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW12Mp2S7d4
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? Empty Re: US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Post by Born Slippy Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

Really hoping Anderson can back up his performance from Monday. If he does, he will beat Stan, who has a poor record even against the normal Kev. Got to imagine though that a brutal 4 hour match will take a toll on his huge frame. Going for Stan in 4.

Federer to win in 3.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:36 am

Wawrinka has been struggling, for example, Young. I too would like to see Anderson come through.

Gasquet made it to the SF @USO in 2013 and seems to be doing well, but Federer is yet to lose a set, maybe Gasquet can take one? chin

Fingers Crossed to the Amazons.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:41 am

If Anderson hadn't taken 4+ hrs to beat Murray I'd be backing him here, Wawrinka hasn't impressed me. Still, on balance, Anderson might still do this.

All logic says Federer should do this in 3 but NuGasket is a more competitive player. The big question is whether he's still playing 10 yards behind the baseline. Any one know? Unless he's standing right up he has no hope.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:12 pm

It would be good to see Anderson convert his victory over Murray into a win over Wawrinka. First set crucial as I see neither losing from that point. Stan hasn't been firing on all cylinders this tournament.

Federer should come through in 3. I still don't think Gasquet has the game to take it to Federer if Federer is on form, but if Federer goes walkies he could make a fist of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:47 pm

I think this will be a battle of the baseline. We know Federer is going to plant his heels on it and push on at every chance. If Gasquet is true to form he'll step further and further back and he'll be killed. His only chance is to step in but there is no way he'll make Roger go backwards, it would turn into a half-volley contest.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

Its perhaps somewhat telling that they have out both the womens Quarters on back to back first up, not much confidence in the WTA outside Serena.
Kvitova and Azza, get in done quick!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 09 Sep 2015, 5:28 pm

Azarenka Halep should actually be match of the day unless Halep is still injured.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm

Penetta forces a third set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:34 pm

Unless and until they develop an option that allows you to mute Azarenka but retain commentary and crowd noise, then no Azarenka match will be my match of the day.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:36 pm

Wawrinka has never beaten Anderson in 4 previous attempts, I would say Kevin fancies his chances to be honest particularly given the confidence from his Murray win. It can be hard to back it up though

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

Penetta does it!  Storms are coming, so they're pushing the fed match forward. Disruption imminent?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:53 pm

Thing with stan is he's a big match player. I'd put him favourite

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 09 Sep 2015, 7:24 pm

Kvitova out! There goes any remote chance of anybody stopping serena, oh well

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:20 pm

Here comes the rain. If the forecast is right both the men's quarters might be put back a whole day

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:23 pm

temporary21 wrote:Here comes the rain. If the forecast is right both the men's quarters might be put back a whole day
With the semi finals still on Friday?

That's a bit of a blow for the bottom half of the draw.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:26 pm

I'm not sure. If they need to come out Thursday would they push then to Saturday? They do have another day...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm

They've moved Wawrinka-Anderson to Armstrong (n/b 6pm local) so if there is an opportunity to play today, they should both get done. If not, surely they'd play QF Thurs, SF Fri so that the finalists from both halves get a day off before Sunday. I've seen suggestions that the forecast is not good for the next 3 days so I guess it's possible someone will have to play 3 days running which would really give the advantage to Djokovic/Cilic.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:53 pm

Azza is back on so theres a chance it might all get doen with that switch

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:56 pm

Welcome to the scheduling fun at USO. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

I've just realised that Richard Gasquet has a perfect record in slam quarter finals (3-0 unless I've missed any). I wonder if that run can continue tonight .....

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:46 pm

YvonneT wrote:I've just realised that Richard Gasquet has a perfect record in slam quarter finals (3-0 unless I've missed any). I wonder if that run can continue tonight .....

Are you hoping or asking? Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:59 pm

laverfan wrote:Are you hoping or asking? Wink
I would be stunned if that run continued, but I don't think he'll have much support on here so I will give him a little Allez!!

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:01 am

Gasquet has been playing much better than in the past, so he is capable of an upset.

Watching Wawrinka v Anderson, almost all returns are being sliced making Anderson work harder, till Wawrinka can hit a winning FH, very simple strategy from the minds of Luthi and Norman. Wink US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? 3845856932

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:02 am

Stan with the early break!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:12 am

Anderson's first serve is not working very well. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:16 am

6-4, allez!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:17 am

Wawrinka wins the first set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:22 am

Thx sky. I don't have the red button...  Who are the commentators Sky use for the night sessions? They're awful

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:41 am

This being why I wanted to watch stan Anderson. Nice groove but gasquet has nothing here to even slightly hurt rog. Looks routine

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:58 am

Allez le Suisse!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:21 am

KA imploding. Swiss army knife sharpened.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:31 am

Wawrinka through, Federer up 2 sets. Looks like a SUI SF.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:34 am

Just got home.

I see Stan won already - cool, good to see him in yet another SF.  He has become rather consistent in slams this year.  I expected just the opposite after his last year's AO title.

How is Fed playing?  Score seems to be straightforward enough - at least so far.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:35 am

Gasquet is abjectly surrendering. Doh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:36 am

Federer has 40 winners to 5 from Gasquet. Wow!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:38 am

Even the former mayor of NY, David Dinkins is yawning. Laugh

Come on Gasquet, show something!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:38 am

laverfan wrote:Federer has 40 winners to 5 from Gasquet. Wow!
LOL

Fed is looking rather comfortable out there.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:40 am

The three current slam holders (Cilic, Nole and Stan) are all in the SF.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:48 am

Feds to serve for the match. Hammering.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:50 am

2 thoroughly uncompetitive quarters. Hopefully the Swiss number 1 and 2 can put in some kind of blockbuster in the semi. Can't say u imagine the other one being a classic

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:52 am

That was easy. Fed dropped even fewer games in this QF than Stan did in his.

I would much rather see a 5-set blockbuster in the Nole vs Cilic SF.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:55 am

They are saying that Stan also tried the half-volley return today?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:58 am

Not quite SABR but took it v early.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:01 am

SABRE on both courts, very interesting. Cahill thinks Federer timed the ball well, but IMVHO, it was a bad performance.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:03 am

The interesting part is that the strategy used by Federer in Federer v Isner was almost identical to Wawrinka's in Wawrinka v Anderson. Luthi needs (and deserves) some credit too.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:11 am

The loss of 7 games, 50 winners, 21 ue's and 16 aces is a bad performance??

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:35 am

Yeah LF, I hope you are wrong. That would be sad if Fed was not playing well going into final weekend. I only saw the third set but I thought he looked pretty good. Really the only weak-ish performance I saw from him this HC summer was in his match against Kohli.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 10 Sep 2015, 3:30 am

I can't imagine someone can find fault with that fed performance. What aspect of it was bad?

Stan will be a real test but I think fed should. My greater concern is they usually really battle in recent times and what that will take from Fed for the finals. The last two times Feds back has really flared up badly was against stan during long battles- iw and wtf.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next