The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+4
SimonofSurrey
LondonTiger
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 13 Sep 2015, 1:17 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST LANCASHIRE AT THE EMIRATES OLD TRAFFORD STARTING ON MONDAY.
Jason Roy returns to the squad after playing for England in the current One Day Series against Australia. Very Happy
Jade dernbach misses out through injury hopefully he will be ok for saturday Fingers Crossed
The Surrey squad to play Lancashire in the LV=County Championship on Monday 14th September, Tuesday 15th September, Wednesday 16th September and Thursday 17th September :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
dunn and harinath (tough break) will probably miss out
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 13 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

I'll need to give the eleven some thought before getting it wrong! Very Happy

I'm surprised Sam Curran is in the squad - I had expected him to be back at school this week. Stewie had to get permission from the headmaster for him to play in last week's semi-final (seriously).

I commented briefly on the Lancs squad on the Surrey News / Articles thread last night. Jimmy Anderson and 'Colonel' Mustard in, no place for George Edwards.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY vs LANCASHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by LondonTiger Sun 13 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

Pfft, a thread already existed for this game. Just because you insist on putting Surrey first in the title even when they are away.

time for me to take my ball home. Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 13 Sep 2015, 2:22 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Pfft, a thread already existed for this game. Just because you insist on putting Surrey first in the title even when they are away.

time for me to take my ball home.  Sad
raspberry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:41 pm

JimBob - exceptionally difficult to make a call on who'll miss out but I'll go with you about Harinath. Tough break as you say but someone has to make way for Roy and believe he's favourite.

Hard to see how Dunn can be squeezed in so I'll (narrowly) go along with you again. That said, I do feel the Club are keen for him to get a game. Other options - maybe leave Burke out or - another of my left field ideas! - at long last give Tom Curran a rest. It would be odd to pull Sam Curran out of school for the trip and then not play him but stranger things have happened!

I'm obviously assuming all in the squad are and stay fit and available.

The weather forecast isn't great but I'm sure the Corporal will confirm with precise details. Wink Important though not to be relying on the rain to help us out . We want to go into Saturday's final with confidence levels high.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:46 pm

So the Burger Van remains parked up for another match.

I agree Harinath and Dunn are the ones mostly likely to miss out, on the basis that they are unlikely to play in the Final.

Can't be too definite about the weather - it's looking unsettled this week, but some of the heaviest rain is likely to be in the south.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:58 am

LondonTiger wrote:Pfft, a thread already existed for this game. Just because you insist on putting Surrey first in the title even when they are away.

Calm down, there are two distinct threads on the go here. Yours focussed on the Lancs/Surrey game in terms of the Div 2 title and prospects for next year. This thread, in common with all Surrey games this season, looks more narrowly at the next game from a Surrey supporters' perspective. The purist might say that the title of this thread should read Surrey @ Lancs, not Surrey v Lancs, but the two threads reflect two different takes on the same game: each thread has a valid identity of its own.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 11:07 am

Harinath and Burke miss out, so "Clive" Dunn gets a chance to restake his claim for a place in the regular starting line up. Surrey won the toss and chose to bat. Burns and Ansari opening. 35 - 0 after 10 overs.

This was the only match in this round to start on time.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:41 pm

102 - 1 Burns out for 50 after good opening partnership of 89. Ansari now on 40*

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

2 down but Zaf still there. With the England selectors convening about now, a half-century or more would do no harm to hopes of #anasariforengland.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:32 pm

afternoon all Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:34 pm

50 for son of boris clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:50 for son of boris clap

Afternoon, JimBob. That's good news all round!

Good call on Harinath from you. I should have had a bit more confidence about Dunn making the eleven!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:48 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:50 for son of boris clap

Afternoon, JimBob. That's good news all round!

Good call on Harinath from you. I should have had a bit more confidence about Dunn making the eleven!
Laugh to be fair guildford i don't think many people saw that happening Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

Sanga dismissed by J Anderson in a duel with a combined age of over 70 Wink .

Would be nice if we could push on from here to a decent total as a statement of intent in this key Championship contest. Nora aside we have a very young and relatively raw frontline attack (Dunn, Curran brothers and Zafer). Their progress will be tested to the full in the coming week in the next two matches by four high quality overseas batsmen: Prince, Peterson, Klinger and H Marshall.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:00 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:

Calm down, there are two distinct threads on the go here. Yours focussed on the Lancs/Surrey game in terms of the Div 2 title and prospects for next year. This thread, in common with all Surrey games this season, looks more narrowly at the next game from a Surrey supporters' perspective. The purist might say that the title of this thread should read Surrey @ Lancs, not Surrey v Lancs, but the two threads reflect two different takes on the same game: each thread has a valid identity of its own.
clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:04 pm

I have visions of Ansari spending a lot of time with the Ken Barrington memorabilia in the museum in the Oval pavilion (viewed the other day courtesy of Guildfordbat). He seems to have absorbed the patience of Barrington in building an innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Sanga dismissed by J Anderson in a duel with a combined age of over 70 Wink .

Would be nice if we could push on from here to a decent total as a statement of intent in this key Championship contest. Nora aside we have a very young and relatively raw frontline attack (Dunn, Curran brothers and Zafer). Their progress will be tested to the full in the coming week in the next two matches by four high quality overseas batsmen: Prince, Peterson, Klinger and H Marshall.  

Simon - I'm not sure Brian Close would be too impressed by that combined age. He and our John Edrich had a combined age of 83 when they opened against the Windies in '76! Mind you, not much impressed Closey and this comment almost certainly belongs on the other thread! Wink

More seriously, completely agree with you about ''a statement of intent''. Both for the end of this season and the start of next. A good challenge for our young bats facing up to Jimmy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm

"That's all" Foakes falls to the offbreak bowling of Arum Lily for 45. Sad 175 -3.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

It would be good if Davies manages to recapture some of his fluent stroke play from a little earlier in the season.

Tea at 176 - 3.  The adhesive Zaf on 63* after 180 balls.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:21 pm

such a shame just before tea Cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:10 pm

200 up 1st batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:17 pm

Ansari hits a six Shocked thumbsup 15 off that over.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:24 pm

son of boris into the nervous nineties Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:25 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Ansari hits a six Shocked thumbsup  15 off that over.

I was just going to post that I'm not sure what Barrington would have thought of that! Shocked Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:33 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Ansari hits a six Shocked thumbsup  15 off that over.

I was just going to post that I'm not sure what Barrington would have thought of that! Shocked Very Happy

Guildford - I ihave visions of Sir Ken nodding with approval at Gavaskar's approach to batting in the 1975 world cup. Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sad Sad Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

furious furious mad mad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm

Doh! But still 99 is a very fine effort by #ansariforengland. clap clap Also a useful partnership of 67 with Davies.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:40 pm

zafar joins roy and davies in the 99 club Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

2nd batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 4:56 pm

262 - 4 bad light stopped play.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Sep 2015, 5:11 pm

Churchy tweeted that there was rain after they went off for bad light. Suspect that'll be it for the day.

Slightly disappointing that Zaf didn't get his century and that Burns and Foakes didn't fully kick on. Nonetheless, a good showing with runs on the board and 2 points in the bank.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Sep 2015, 5:19 pm

Our lower might well not prosper to quite the extent they did against Derby, but hopefully we could still manage, say, four batting points.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 14 Sep 2015, 5:34 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Our lower might well not prosper to quite the extent they did against Derby, but hopefully we could still manage, say, four batting points.

But this could be just the kind of challenge our kids need. If Interesting and/or Le Roy fall(s) cheaply tomorrow, do our youngsters, with help from Nora, have the wherewithal to nudge us up to four batting points then keep the scoreboard going after 110 overs? Course, if the 5th wicket pair both make quick hundreds, the situation takes care of itself...

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Sep 2015, 5:46 pm

Corporal - given the expected bad weather and the quality of Lancs, it'll take some doing for us to win. However, at this relatively early stage it looks as if we have a decent chance of emerging with more points from a draw than our hosts - I would settle for that.

Btw, thought it was sneaky of Lancs to sign up Mustard. Appreciate Buttler is being rested by the ECB and Blake is injured but they've apparently got two young lads who have been keeping in the seconds - feel one should have been called up. No suggestion the Colonel's signing is going to be anything other than temporary.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 14 Sep 2015, 7:25 pm

#ansariforengland > Bradman
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:36 am

Passing swiftly over that last contribution, I'm pleased to see our match started on time this morning - the only one that hasn't been delayed by rain/wet outfields.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:39 am

Especially vital and difficult first hour for our batsmen to negotiate.

Mid September, 10:30 start. New ball just a couple of overs old. Jimmy Anderson. Nuff said.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:32 am

328-5 - Davies fell early but Roy and Wilson have led a fast recovery
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:35 am

A very good first hour for Surrey. Davies fell early on - and, yes, to Anderson! - but Roy and Wilson have taken us to 328/5 off 98 overs. 3 batting points already in the bank to please JimBob, a 4th looking very likely and a 5th not yet ruled out.

Forecast for tomorrow is bad. A shame as we're looking like taking control but at least any pressure will be off us and on Lancs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:43 am

Wilson certainly not hanging around. He's already reached 37 off 44 balls.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:43 am

Fifty for Mr Roy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:54 am

Surrey cracking along at a good pace. 359 - 5 and a 4th batting point secured.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

But Roy king falls to Kerrigan for a brisk 66. 363 - 6. Partnership was 95 at 5.5 an over. clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:27 pm

Looks like intelligent cricket from the Currans and/or the captain in the dressing room. With both Roy and Wilson having fallen, there was still a small possibility of getting the fifth batting point. But at least as likely would be the fall of a further couple of wickets giving Lancs a third batting point. So they've now passed the 110 overs cut off, and no doubt the Currans will try to garner some further runs, with Batty, to further strengthen Surrey's position in the match

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:38 pm

Corporal - yes, understand that. Although not collecting maximum batting points, we're still going to be in a controlling position with over 400 on the board and have also denied Lancs a bowling point. In all the circumstances, virtually impossible for Lancs to now win this match which means we'll be going into our final game at home to Northants leading the table. Can't complain at that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 15 Sep 2015, 1:38 pm

GB, the forecast for Manchester is actually not too bad. As is Thursday's too....and even better news, the forecast for Saturday is currently very good!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 1:44 pm

Hi Chichester - yes there is a tendency for the forecast looking ahead a day or two to show torrential rain all day, and then within an hour or two the rain has mysteriously disappeared.

Both Currans now out having made useful contributions.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:10 pm

I think we have to give plaudits to Batty for the way he quickly moved down the batting order this season to give both Currans a chance to develop their batting; in that context it's worth remembering that last season Tom did not do a lot with the bat to justify a spot above 10 or 11.

Likewise on bowling, the way Batty has enabled Ansari to develop has been very commendable. I recall earlier in the season Batty endured a bit of mild criticism on these boards for not bowling himself until an innings was well advanced.  In a number of cases this was probably because he was giving Ansari a lengthy bowl, presumably to give him every chance to establish himself as a front line spinner. If this was a strategy it certainly seems to have worked well.

Meanwhile, Batty has just hit Arum Lily for six Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next