The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my visit to wildcard

5 posters

Go down

my visit to wildcard Empty my visit to wildcard

Post by irishbrads Sun 13 Sep 2015, 3:11 pm

wasn't sure if i should post this or not but thought some of you may be interested

i was in California for a few weeks and whilst in LA the missus decided she wanted to stalk Beckham at soul cycle so i decided to visit the Wildcard gym for an early morning training session.  Anyone can go and train for the measly sum of $5, was hoping freddie roach would be there and couldn't believe my luck when i walked in and there he was behind the counter taking the money.

Got chatting to him and he was a really nice guy and seemed quite happy to chat boxing all day, asked him about Cotto v canelo and he said cotto will break him down (suppose he wouldn't say anything different), as i live in Dubai i asked him about the talk of Manny pacquaio fighting out here (been in the papers here) and he said it'll never happen, said dubai always talk but they never put the money up.  He chatted quite a bit about steve collins but i wasn't taking it all in as it was a bit surreal standing in the wildcard gym chattin to freddie roach.

He gave me a new pair of hand wraps for free  and offered to wrap my hands after i'd warmed up!!

so there you go, if any of you are ever in LA i'd recommend going there, everyone was very welcoming and most people in there were keep fitters rather than boxers i'd say.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

my visit to wildcard Empty Re: my visit to wildcard

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 13 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

Sounds like a great experience! I'd definitely be taken aback to see Roach working on the tills!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

Good story. Nice to Roach is actually a good genuine guy in real life.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:13 pm

That's quite an interesting little story. Did you spar? If so how did it go? After reading the story of Groves trip to Floyds gym ( on a previous thread ) it sounds as though the Wildcard is a little more hospitable. Whatever you think of Roach it's quite humble to hear he works the door.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:15 pm

Yep I confess Roach uses to annoy me.

But he is a nice guy. My brothers mate met him and said he was a real nice guy.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Mon 14 Sep 2015, 6:27 am

DuransHorse wrote:That's quite an interesting little story. Did you spar? If so how did it go? After reading the story of Groves trip to Floyds gym ( on a previous thread ) it sounds as though the Wildcard is a little more hospitable. Whatever you think of Roach it's quite humble to hear he works the door.

no no sparring, just some skipping and some bag work, the place was really busy, i was surprised how small and cramped it was, prob because of how many people were in there, can imagine it was manic when manny was in there

I actually got the impression that Freddie Roach enjoys people coming to the gym and speaking to him, i read a review on google when i was looking for the location that someone said he likes to know who's who in the gym and suggested that if he's there to make sure you introuduce yourself.

Interestingly i recognised that lad from liverpool liam vauaghan who appeared briefly on one of those all access shows as freddies right hand man, whilst freddie was all smiles and full of chat he certainly wasn't, i recognised him in the car park on the way in and give him a kind of nod and a hello, he completely blanked me, watched him in the gym and he  stuck me as mr attitude, kind of ironic considering freddie couldn't have been any more welcoming!!

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

Cotto won't break Canelo down no way.

but nice story. Freddie sounds like an approachable celebrity.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down