The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

+6
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbohammers
Corporalhumblebucket
chichestersurryfan
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL - Page 2 Empty SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL AGAINST GLOUCESTERSHIRE AT LORD’S ON SATURDAY.
Zafar Ansari is unavailable for selection due to the thumb injury he sustained in the recent LV=County Championship match against Lancashire. Sad Azhar Mahmood is named in the squad for the first time in this year’s competition. Shocked
The Surrey squad to play Gloucestershire in the Royal London One Day Cup Final at Lord’s on Saturday 19th September:
Gareth Batty (capt)
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Azhar Mahmood
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
no sign of the burger van chaps Erm
tough to call the 3 who will face cup final heartbreak
no point in naming mahmood if he isn't going to play
so i'll go kapil,dunn and foakes ( if wilson can keep)
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

Post by alfie Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:02 pm

And that has torn it .

Unless Dernbach can cap his day...

alfie

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP FINAL

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Effectively 6 needed off 4 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Sorry chaps...couldn't bring you any luck. Sad

Do think they messed it up a bit at the end...really could have got them in singles. But pressure does funny things...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:08 pm

What an awful batting collapse - last 3 for 0 in 4 balls. Just had to run a few singles. Depressing that we couldn't get 220 in 50 overs against Gloucs.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Well played Gloucestershire, good win. The injury of Zaf really the blow to our batting that we couldn't overcome
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:10 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:What an awful batting collapse - last 3 for 0 in 4 balls. Just had to run a few singles. Depressing that we couldn't get 220 in 50 overs against Gloucs.

Don't think it's really fair to blame 9, 10, 11 for our loss....middle to lower order should've seen us home easily.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:13 pm

A word for Sam Curran - a great knock by a 17 year old kid in that situation. Let down by his elders today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Many congratulations to Gloucs but ... AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

Can't help but feel we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hussain banging on about Sanga's dismissal being the turning point but I thought Burns' was more significant. That left two batsmen at the crease on 0 including Wilson who is a notoriously slow starter - he's ok if he finally gets going but he didn't today.

Dernbach my man of the match.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Please please please please can we now agree that Foakes is our No 1 keeper/batsman in all forms of the game? Wilson's stagnant contribution when we lost two set batsman and just needed s sensible head to steady the ship and see us home was awful. Azhar was also a huge disappointment with bat. On a happier note, the Currans should be there to see us home in future one day Cup Finals up to the early 2030s

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:29 pm

You'll see my earlier contributions to this thread for my opinion on the Wilson/Foakes debate Simon. I like Gary, but I do struggle to see how he's donning the gloves sometimes (he makes some spectacular catches but don't think he is consistent enough behind the stumps)

Anyways onwards and upwards, still a fabulous season....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Just got home after a long but enjoyable day!

Great to meet up between innings with Simon of Surrey and of course the corporal with whom I had the pleasure of his company thoughout the day....

Random thoughts on the day....from our view from the stands....
Azher bowled well ..Dernbach was superb too...well done to him...Batty after a poor 1st over bowled well....I enjoyed seeing live my first ever hatrick, albeit with a dodgy 3rd wicket! And a stumping off a wide....Wilson did not have a good time behind the stumps.
it was clearly a difficult wicket to score quickly on....the Corporal and I had the misfortune to be sitting directly infront of a gentleman who was of the opinion that every ball should be hit out the ground!! (I don"t think it was anyone who posts on this forum!!)...sadly several of our batsman seemed to want to follow his 'advice'!!..There was no need to play any flamboyant shots...ones and occasional two's as per Sanga and Burns would have sufficed.... Curran junior batted very well and nearly won it for us...the Gloucester fans were superb....and the team had a great spirit about them..their bowling was top notch....and as painful as it is to say....I clearly think they deserved to win...they took all their chances...and we panicked a bit at the end...but still a great season for the lads...roll on Div 1... Here endeth my report Sad

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Neat report, Chichester. Glad you had a good day although obviously not the result we wanted.

Understand and can identify with your thoughts. One of the advantages of turning up at the Oval mid-week to watch a Champo match is that you can easily find another seat away from loud mouthed opinionated idiots!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:38 pm

The pain of defeat today was at least eased by hearing that Hammers had beaten Man City 2 -1 away.Shocked

The match really was Surrey's for the taking.  For much of the century partnership between Sanga and Burns we were steadily accumulating runs without any apparent difficulty and holding the required run rate in check.  I'm also of the view that the turning point was Burns dismissal. He had an entirely unnecessary rush of the blood, which suddenly left us with two new batsmen at the crease. Overall, Gloucs did bowl well and too many Surrey batsmen never got to grips with the pitch.  Roy king was all at sea - I don't know how many times he played and missed before holing out.  Davies didn't really get going.  Wilson and Mahmood didn't really look like taking command of the situation.  Sam Curran played as well you could reasonably hope from any 17 year old in a pressured situation.

Good to meet Simon of Surrey thumbsup as well as Chichester.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:40 pm

I fear it's just mugs of cocoa tonight in the officers' mess! mug mug mug

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks a bunch for your report, Corporal. mad

Comfortable with all your comments apart from the footie score - I'm one of those sad gits who like to watch Match of the Day without knowing the final scores!

Anyway, run well tomorrow, my friend.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:52 am

Corporal - anyway, I see the Hammers are now second in the table. Perhaps both your teams could win their league? Very Happy Wink

PS A particularly bad day for JimBob - guess he's going to wake up with a monster headache! Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:56 am

GUTTED Sad Sad Sad vomit
ps the interview with batty he has nothing to feel guilty about

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:58 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:GUTTED Sad Sad Sad vomit
ps the interview with batty he has nothing to feel guilty about

JimBob - yeah, agree strongly that Batty made the right decision to bowl first in all the circumstances. It was the batting that cost us and not his call.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:47 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Thanks a bunch for your report, Corporal. mad

Comfortable with all your comments apart from the footie score - I'm one of those sad gits who like to watch Match of the Day without knowing the final scores!

Anyway, run well tomorrow, my friend.

Hope you enjoyed MotD, Guildford, despite knowing the scoreline Wink Managed to complete the 10k today more or less in one piece thanks! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:10 pm

No problem Corporal. Mrs Bat didn't enjoy it so much - for reasons never entirely clear, she's a Man City supporter! Smile

Well done on today's run! clap thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:49 pm

As I watched the slow but somehow inevitable car crash of our batting performance yesterday, the following words, which I posted after our group win over Worcs, came back to me:

Ok, so we've now proved beyond reasonable that this team is capable of setting a stiff target then defending it. What I'd love to see in our last group games is us chase down a stiff target or two, ideally with significant contributions from below the top 3. I don't want us to find ourselves in the uncharted waters of two down for small change in the QF chasing well north of 250, unless we happen to have been through that scenario successfully already.

If I were opposing captains, I'd bat first against us from now on, if only to see how we respond to 'scoreboard pressure' batting second, rather than inviting us to show - yet again - we can set huge targets.
"

Yesterday showed a/ how vulnerable we are once two of our top four (yes, I include Burns in that) have failed to fire; and b/ how unprepared we were for a run chase. We simply hadn't done one before with this team and it showed.

Positives: if we had to lose, it couldn't have happened to a nicer team or set of supporters. Warm congrats to Glos and, as a proud Englishman with a long memory, I'm delighted for Geraint Jones. The overall most important personal contribution probably was Taylor's in terms of the overall result, but GJ's knock, taking them from 108-5 to 220 all out got my vote, partly as a nostalgic/fairy tale reward on his last day at Lord's.

Other positives included meeting our very own chichester and corp, top fellows both, and sharing a great contest and a few beers with my son the day before driving him to start Uni today at Canterbury. Finally, Sam Curran had a so-so day with the ball, but then showed enough skill and courage with the bat almost to get us over the line even as those of greater years and experience perished around him. An extraordinary bravura performance with the bat which consolidates him a genuine all round talent of limitless potential: great news for club and, surely before too many years, country too.

Ever upwards, ever onwards. Dust yourselves down, lads, and go win the CC2 Title this week.

Cheers all. Simon

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:29 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:As I watched the slow but somehow inevitable car crash of our batting performance yesterday, the following words, which I posted after our group win over Worcs, came back to me:

Ok, so we've now proved beyond reasonable that this team is capable of setting a stiff target then defending it. What I'd love to see in our last group games is us chase down a stiff target or two, ideally with significant contributions from below the top 3. I don't want us to find ourselves in the uncharted waters of two down for small change in the QF chasing well north of 250, unless we happen to have been through that scenario successfully already.

If I were opposing captains, I'd bat first against us from now on, if only to see how we respond to 'scoreboard pressure' batting second, rather than inviting us to show - yet again - we can set huge targets.
"

Yesterday showed a/ how vulnerable we are once two of our top four (yes, I include Burns in that) have failed to fire; and b/ how unprepared we were for a run chase. We simply hadn't done one before with this team and it showed.

Positives: if we had to lose, it couldn't have happened to a nicer team or set of supporters. Warm congrats to Glos and, as a proud Englishman with a long memory, I'm delighted for Geraint Jones. The overall most important personal contribution probably was Taylor's in terms of the overall result, but GJ's knock, taking them from 108-5 to 220 all out got my vote, partly as a nostalgic/fairy tale reward on his last day at Lord's.

Other positives included meeting our very own chichester and corp, top fellows both, and sharing a great contest and a few beers with my son the day before driving him to start Uni today at Canterbury. Finally, Sam Curran had a so-so day with the ball, but then showed enough skill and courage with the bat almost to get us over the line even as those of greater years and experience perished around him. An extraordinary bravura performance with the bat which consolidates him a genuine all round talent of limitless potential: great news for club and, surely before too many years, country too.

Ever upwards, ever onwards. Dust yourselves down, lads, and go win the CC2 Title this week.

Cheers all. Simon

Simon - thanks for that. Good to have another top post from an eye witness. Whilst I was able to watch a fair bit (''too much'' - Mrs Bat) on Sky, there's nothing like actually being there. Makes so much more of the day as well if you can have some intelligent cricket chat plus friendly banter with the opposition supporters.

A real right of passage having a few drinks with your offspring and then taking them off to Uni. As for Chichester and the Corporal, you couldn't hope to meet a better couple of army deserters! Wink

I appreciate we'll never know but do you feel we would have been more likely to have won if we had batted first? I don't and have stated that since the toss was correctly called but would be interested in your view.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:09 am

Mornin' guildford,

It's a good question and a moot point. As I travelled to the game, I had a nagging 'damned if we do, damned if we don't' feeling. I thought we'd insert Glos if we won the toss. But our inexperience at chasing worried me, with good cause as it turned out. Meanwhile, if we had lost the toss, there's every chance we would have made as few as Glos. But I think they have the nous and experience not to panic as we did in pursuit of a reasonable* target.

*A quick word of praise for the groundsman. This was a terrific 'sporting' pitch. It helped all bowlers who put it in the right place, but came on to the bat well enough for conventional strokes and rewarded batsmen who grafted their way sensibly rather than sought to blast away or take liberties. Much more exciting than one of those one day 'roads' that turns all bowlers into cannon fodder.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 am

Mornin' Simon and thanks.

Good point too about the groundsman and the pitch. I've always maintained that a low scoring game is more likely to result in a tense and exciting finish.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:30 am

Great posts Simon and Guildford...thank you for the kind words too! I had a dream last night...Batty hit the bowl for 6 in the last over and we had won! My mind keeps going back to that last over....when Batty hit that bowl, my instant reaction was he'd hit it well and it was going for 6...then a sudden realisation it was going to be short...then the amazing roar of the Glouceershire fans as they'd pulled off a stunning victory! Such are the fine lines between success and failure!
Totally agree about the comments about the pitch and the nature of the low scoring match..very much a throwback to 1 day matches of the past....well, let's hope Batty will be holding up some silverware later this week!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:57 am

Simon and Guildford - thanks for your kind comments!  It's been great to meet a couple of cyber characters who are, if anything, even better in the flesh than they are on line.  Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2