The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September

+28
wolfball
Artful_Dodger
InjuredYetAgain
VinceWLB
LeinsterFan4life
Engine#4
RDW
Shifty
FecklessRogue
eirebilly
Rory_Gallagher
GunsGerms
Blanko
Pete330v2
rapidsnowman
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
Mickado
thebandwagonsociety
The Great Aukster
the-goon
ME-109
George Carlin
Notch
carpet baboon
rodders
Marshes
bmcr
32 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Empty Ireland vs Romania, 27 September

Post by bmcr Sun 20 Sep - 21:22

First topic message reminder :

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Irelan11Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Romani13
IRELAND v ROMANIA
27 September 2015
KO: 16:45 BST
Wembley Stadium, London
Live on ITV1 (United Kingdom) and TV3 (Republic of Ireland)

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant Referee 1; Romain Poite (France)
Assistant Referee 2; Leighton Hodges (Wales)
Television match official: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

Teams

IRELAND

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Lisa_hannigan

15. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)
14. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
13. Jared Payne (Ulster)
12. Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster)
9. Eoin Reddan (Old Crescent/Leinster)

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2. Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)
3. Nathan White (Connacht)
4. Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
5. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
6. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster)
8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) captain

Replacements;

16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17. Jack McGrath (St Mary's College/Leinster)
18. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
19. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster)
20. Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
22. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon)
23. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

ROMANIA

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Nadia+Comaneci+Premiere+Tetro+Arrivals+n_wkyszooLql

15. Catalin Fercu
14. Adrian Apostol
13. Paula Kinikinilau
12. Csaba Gal
11. Ionut Botezatu
10. Michael Wiringi
9. Valentin Calafeteanu

1. Andrei Ursache
2. Andrei Radoi
3. Paulica Ion
4. Valentin Poparlan
5. Ovidiu Tonita
6. Viorel Lucaci
7. Mihai Macovei (c)
8. Daniel Carpo

Replacements

16. Mihaita Lazar
17. Otar Turashvili
18. Alexandru Tarus
19. Johannes van Heerden
20.Stelian Burcea
21. Florin Surugiu
22. Florin Ionita
23. Florin Vlaicu

Head to Head

Played; 8
Ireland Won; 8
Romania Won; 0
Draws; 0

Last 5 Meetings

Ireland 43 - 12 Romania
26th November 2005
Lansdowne Road, Dublin

Ireland 45 - 17 Romania
11th October 2003
Rugby World Cup 2003, Pool A, Match 3
Central Coast Stadium, Gosford

Ireland 39 - 8 Romania
7th September 2002
Thomond Park, Limerick

Romania 3 - 37 Ireland
2nd June 2001
Bucharest

Ireland 44 - 14 Romania
15th October 1999
Rugby World Cup 1999, Pool E, Match 27
Lansdowne Road, Dublin

bmcr

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs Romania, 27 September

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 13:15

Heavy and creative in the forwards.  A tad less rudder in the backs.  If Romania can upset the Madigan Reddan alliance then they might make hay for a while.  Or to put it another way, the backs we've selected might make this game tougher on the forwards than the forwards might be expecting.

In a WC I'd prefer see a real combination at 9 and 10.  One that might likely be used from after Sunday.  We'd need to have had a disaster in injuries if both Madigan and Reddan started for France, Argentina or New Zealand.  So yes, a run out for all players is good for morale, but I'd have preferred Murray to go with either Madigan or Jackson.... at least for 40 to 60.  Play it as we might have to play it, from the beginning - not when Romanians are tired -  and play it hard enough to see what we might look like.

Our guys might cut loose of course but that's two smallish players at both 9 and 10, with the same feverish aspect to their characters.  I hope they know to keep it cool, don't get ahead of themselves and don't be in a rush to over-play to impress.

And all hail Super-Sub Sean Cronin.  Never obviously good enough to be awarded a start yet always potentially good enough to make the end feel better than it might have done.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs Romania, 27 September

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep - 13:16

rodders wrote:Interesting Henderson and POM are left out which suggests they'll both start against Italy but possibly Henderson dropping to the bench against France.

Sexton, Henderson and O'Mahony all sat out training earlier this week due to minor knocks picked up against Canada. They are now completely fine and available for selection but as Schmidt doesn't generally pick players unless they complete a full weeks training beforehand they weren't considered for this weekend, same as Henshaw.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Sep - 13:21

Notch wrote:
rodders wrote:Interesting Henderson and POM are left out which suggests they'll both start against Italy but possibly Henderson dropping to the bench against France.

Sexton, Henderson and O'Mahony all sat out training earlier this week due to minor knocks picked up against Canada. They are now completely fine and available for selection but as Schmidt doesn't generally pick players unless they complete a full weeks training beforehand they weren't considered for this weekend, same as Henshaw.

Yup realize that but clearly he is managing the game-time of players with a mind of tougher games to come.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep - 13:23

Yeah, of course. Biggest surprise for me is to see Payne starting because I would have thought he'll want Payne and Henshaw to play together before the France game which would leave Payne playing all four games. Maybe he will be rested for Italy but I would have expected it to be the other way round.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 25 Sep - 13:26

Think we'll see Jackson replacing Reddan in this game.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep - 13:28

Unless Romania do a 'Georgia 2007'. In that case, Murray is the break glass in case of emergency cover. But we should have this Romania team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Sep - 13:30

I think his hand has been forced in the centre - my guess is they'd have started last week and been given this week off.

I think it will be Fitz and Henshaw next week with maybe Payne on the bench, then Henshaw and Payne for France.

Another possibility is Payne will come off early, Zebo goes to the wing and Earls will slot beside Cave.

It also suggests to me that Bowe and DK will be starting wings against France.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Sep - 13:32

Good enough team. 40-0.

Would settle for 20-0 though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 13:49

Okay, let's see Bowe do what he's being doing in training.  No, not dancing.  R Kearney gave a kind of a 'F**K you Critics! fingers up during the Canadian game.  It'll be nice to see Bowe really charge at this game and do the same.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep - 14:00

Have to feel sorry for Romania. Sandwiched between France and Ireland with a four day turnaround. They are going to be exhausted after the first half. It's obviously not our strongest team they're facing, but I expect them to lose by a big margin. +45

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Sep - 14:00

SecretFly wrote:Okay, let's see Bowe do what he's being doing in training.  

Well I hope not, the rumors going around in preseason were that he was terrible in training...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 25 Sep - 14:03

Romania have made 9 changes to their starting lineup, would imagine that their strongest team was out against France.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 14:07

rodders wrote:

Well I hope not, the rumors going around in preseason were that he was terrible in training...

That's just a Joe joke. You all fell for it, including me. The truth is out there, Rodders. Be prepared to be shocked...... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Fri 25 Sep - 14:09

I hear this Ireland team is the oldest XV in World Cup History. Surprised, would have though the SA would be.
EDIT: It is Ireland's old XV in RWC history only.
As you were...

The Romanian side is named as well:

1. Andrei Ursache
2. Andrei Radoi
3. Paulica Ion
4. Valentin Poparlan
5. Ovidiu Tonita
6. Valentin Ursache
7. Mihai Macovei (c)
8. Daniel Carpo
9. Valentin Calafeteanu
10. Michael Wiringi
11. Ionut Botezatu
12. Csaba Gal
13. Paula Kinikinilau
14. Adrian Apostol
15. Catalin Fercu

Replacements
16. Mihaita Lazar
17. Otar Turashvili
18. Alexandru Tarus
19. Johannes van Heerden
20.Stelian Burcea
21. Florin Surugiu
22. Florin Ionita
23. Florin Vlaicu

Last edited by the-goon on Fri 25 Sep - 14:11; edited 1 time in total

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 14:09

Mickado wrote:Romania have made 9 changes to their starting lineup, would imagine that their strongest team was out against France.

Strongest team v most eager 2nds? The latter also has potential to do damage with over-enthusiasm. We need that injury list to stay empty.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Sep - 14:16

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:

That's just a Joe joke.  You all fell for it, including me.  The truth is out there, Rodders.  Be prepared to be shocked...... Wink

Well I thought it was a joke until Jonny May ran over the top of him...then I stopped laughing alright!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 14:38

May isn't made of earth stuff though. A bit of an Apollo complex about that kid judging by his recent acrobatic efforts.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 14:40

It is quite pointed though about that age thing.  Ireland, the fresh new beginning with Joe, lots of realistic options in many positions, youth chomping at the bit to impress, and yet away we go and get another oldest team record.....

We find it so hard to break our habits.  Not complaining.... so far.  But to think Reddan is still required at almost 35......

Last edited by SecretFly on Fri 25 Sep - 14:44; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 25 Sep - 14:40

Where's the usual pictures that adorn these threads???

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 14:47

Must have run out of beautiful girls from Ireland.  
So just start at the beginning again..............
Andrea Corr

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep - 14:51

Pete330v2 wrote:Where's the usual pictures that adorn these threads???

if you want to nominate some candidates and post appropriate photos I may edit the OP.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Sep - 14:58

the-goon wrote:I hear this Ireland team is the oldest XV in World Cup History. Surprised, would have though the SA would be.
EDIT: It is Ireland's old XV in RWC history only.
As you were...

Well of course it is, it's the most recent game so the players are bound to be older than they used to be.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 25 Sep - 14:58

Notch wrote:

if you want to nominate some candidates and post appropriate photos I may edit the OP.

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Lisa_hannigan Lisa Hannigan, As easy on the ears as she is on the eyes.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 15:07

and Nadia Comaneci

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Nadia+Comaneci+Premiere+Tetro+Arrivals+n_wkyszooLql

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 25 Sep - 15:11

[quote="Notch"]

if you want to nominate some candidates and post appropriate photos I may edit the OP.[/quote

For Ireland I nominate Mrs Doyle, the countrywide standard for Irish ladies. What she lacks in looks she makes up for in her high sandwich standards.
For Romania I nominate the Cheeky Girls, not tip-top lookers but for a BOGOF offer they can't be beat Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep - 15:11

Interesting choice there by SF.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep - 15:39

SecretFly wrote:and Nadia Comaneci

Just a pointed hat and broom needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 15:54

Munch, you're young. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Fri 25 Sep - 16:17

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34338636

Looks like we aren't rated... just the way we like it. Pin it on the dressing room.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep - 16:24

SecretFly wrote:Munch, you're young.   Wink

Not that young. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Mikado's tastes would be closer to mine, although probably not the best pic of Nadia while black and white pic's tend to hide the warts, or beer goggles Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep - 16:28

the-goon wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34338636

Looks like we aren't rated... just the way we like it. Pin it on the dressing room.

"it will be interesting when they play the big game against France whether they can muscle up against the French pack..."

You would think we haven't played against, and beaten, the French in the last two 6N's.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 16:30

Munchkin wrote:

Not that young. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Mikado's tastes would be closer to mine, although probably not the best pic of Nadia while black and white pic's tend to hide the warts, or beer goggles Erm

Yeah...beauty is in the eye. But it's also age defined. I see it everywhere. Lisa certainly has it at her age. And Nadia had it at Lisa's age. And for a 53 year old, she still has it for the age she is.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep - 16:36

SecretFly wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Yeah...beauty is in the eye.  But it's also age defined.  I see it everywhere.  Lisa certainly has it at her age.  And Nadia had it at Lisa's age.  And for a 53 year old, she still has it for the age she is.

Agreed, she's a looker for her age. Older women can be very appealing, but it's rarely the sort of appeal that translates well in photographs.

Now my minds drifting. Most focus on work...most focus on work....most focus on....

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 25 Sep - 16:44

Yep - exactly what we want! Let the big guns battle it out while we quietly go about our business. Let the media keep the focus on SA, NZ, Wales, England and the Aussies. Float straight into the final against NZ as the underdogs and pull off the impossible. Easy. Smile

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep - 16:47

Yeah, we've gone right off the radar. It's all like I knew it would be... All Blacks, Australia, Wales, England. A good place to be, yes. But it's time for our players to prove the doubters wrong. It's comments like those that often get Wales into their Monstrous mood. The World doesn't respect us!!!' And indeed, it was often such opinions of us before that often got us in a mood to push sides out of our way with the old manic aggression.
I know it's much more controlled these day, and rightly so. But there will come a time before our time at the WC is over when we'll have a need to go to that Manic aggression locker. And I hope it still has the mental equipment in it to get the job done.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep - 17:01

Romanian flanker Valentin Ursache ruled out due to suspension, cited for dangerous tackle against France.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 26 Sep - 11:03

rodders wrote:I think his hand has been forced in the centre - my guess is they'd have started last week and been given this week off.

I think it will be Fitz and Henshaw next week with maybe Payne on the bench, then Henshaw and Payne for France.

Another possibility is Payne will come off early, Zebo goes to the wing and Earls will slot beside Cave.

It also suggests to me that Bowe and DK will be starting wings against France.....

Maybe Joe has sussed the fact that Payne is not the best 13 for the big matches which is why he is starting him in this match... Very Happy Run

I do hope that Bowe has a good game and gets some match form back. Still feel that he is going to be very important come the latter stages of the tournament, if Ireland do progress past the 1/4 finals.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Sep - 11:33

Bowe would need to show a big improvement in this game if he is to start in any of the remaining games.

I see Valentin Ursache has received a one match ban, so won't be playing on Sunday.

Edit: I also see that Notch got there before me Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 26 Sep - 19:19

In terms of team reps for this week, surely Romania can do better than that?

Madalina Ghenea is from Slatina for the love of feck:
Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Romani10  Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Madali10
heart
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Sep - 19:28

This is why GC should do all the match threads.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 27 Sep - 9:14

George Carlin wrote:In terms of team reps for this week, surely Romania can do better than that?

Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Romani10  Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Madali10
heart

Come off it George! I gave you a great Welsh girl when you were looking for last night's game, and you went stubbornly along and chose the old usual clichéd blonde bombshell 1940s style diva Katherine Jenkins Wink

Okay, okay - so she pulled off another win for them Whistle , but they gotta have more dark eyed gals of note there too???

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Sep - 9:29

SecretFly wrote:
George Carlin wrote:In terms of team reps for this week, surely Romania can do better than that?

heart

Come off it George!  I gave you a great Welsh girl when you were looking for last night's game, and you went stubbornly along and chose the old usual clichéd blonde bombshell 1940s style diva Katherine Jenkins Wink

Okay, okay - so she pulled off another win for them  Whistle , but they gotta have more dark eyed gals of note there too???
I looked at your achingly fashionable teenybopper Fly, really I did.

The more pictures I found, the more she irritated me.

Besides, as most of the pictures of Mary Berry currently around made her look a bit mad or bewildered*, I had to go with Cara Delevingne for England. Did you want to be so badly outgunned before the match even started? You needed Jenkins. Needed her, I tell you. I'm only thinking of you guys. That's because I care.

* No, really:
Ireland vs Romania, 27 September - Page 2 Mary_b10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Sep - 15:15

I am expecting a pretty decent win for Ireland today. Hoping Earls gets into a good try scoring mood with a couple of big matches coming up. I also really hope that Bowe has a good game.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Sun 27 Sep - 15:31

It's hard to really even get excited by this. I just can't wait for Italy and then especially France.

The tournament would actually be better if they cut 4 teams and made it 4 pools of 4. I know showcasing the game outside the big rugby nations is more important, but still.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Sep - 15:33

I like these games myself as they are like extra warm-up games and are great to be used in trying out new combinations. No disrespect to Romania but Ireland should really win by 40+
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 27 Sep - 15:46

Ireland should keep discipline and not over-stretch themselves.  I don't want pomposity (hardly likely with a Schmidt team), I want ruthlessness again.  

I'd like us to be methodical and continuously ramp up the pace right to the 80.  Whatever score we get then will be a bonus.  But I don't want any tries from Romania that come from lack of focus and concentration by us.  And I don't want any intercepts because some Irish players might get too relaxed.

Play it hard, play it accurate.  Keep concentration levels up and if we can be ruthless - be ruthless.  Don't start taking the foot off the gas at the end.  Drive, drive, drive like we need to.  The players need these power and pace kind of games because we don't play them that often and after today will probably not get too many opportunities again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 27 Sep - 16:46

Nice easy one for Ireland, go for the bonus point win then protect any key players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Sep - 16:55

The Romanian defence looks like it will be broken very early this match.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 27 Sep - 17:03

Great offloads from Payne and Earls set up Zebo for a nice solo effort down the wing.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 27 Sep - 17:03

Disallowed, very close, but probably right call from the TMO.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next