The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style?

3 posters

Go down

Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style? Empty Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:20 pm

Back in the days of Rowleys fav John.L Sullivan boxing was very different. In Mr Sullivans own words....

"I don't mind saying that I believe that the style of fighting today is far and away ahead of the old style ... Jeffries at his best and me at my best, Jeffries would have put it on me. I never was a really scientific fighter ... My game was the old game -- standing up and fighting and depending upon sheer power and pure strength and endurance to get by. I won most of my fights by rushing ... But if a big man today were to fight the same way I did and try those rushes on with a man like Jeffries he'd get slaughtered, that's all. He'd get himself killed ... Jeffries, with his quickness and impenetrable crouch, and his immense power of endurance, and his vast hitting power, and with all of the foot-shiftiness of the new style -- there can't be any doubt that, had it been possible for Jeff and I to meet when we were both at our best, he would have sent it over on me. More than that, I never saw the man that I thought could stand a chance to lick Jeffries. If he's wise he'll not fight any more. He's too big to get down to trim."

The excepted style was pure stand up. 2 fighters facing each other, no lateral movement just either coming forward or going backwards. The fight relies on mainly power and endurence and of course a good chin.

Wlad anybody????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style? Empty Re: Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style?

Post by Lance Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

Valuev would beat Wlad. In fact I don't think this style suits Wlad at all, he needs space to work and make the most of his reach. Imagine going toe to toe with Valuev and not being able to outmove him

Lance

Back to top Go down

Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style? Empty Re: Which fighters could succeed with pre 1900 style?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 24 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

Lance wrote:Valuev would beat Wlad. In fact I don't think this style suits Wlad at all, he needs space to work and make the most of his reach. Imagine going toe to toe with Valuev and not being able to outmove him

It would be perfect.

Just aim at that unmissable unit called his body.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:14 pm

none. Post 1900 but sam langford was pump. I just watched a video analysing his 'skills' it was laughable. I've seen sero fight novices with more skill. no denying his spirit and power though.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down