The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again...

3 posters

Go down

Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again... Empty Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again...

Post by All Time Great Fri 04 Dec 2015, 9:13 pm

...and how would you rank the current contenders when it's all said and done?

The likes of Fury, Joshua, Haye, Wlad and Wilder have brought an intriguie back to heavyweight boxing. It's no coincidence that boxing forums have come alive again as a result!

My opinion, Fury is probably the most talented of the lot and has the attributes to defeat all of the aformentioned fighters. David Haye's lack of size (and to some degree, a lack of heart) would put him at the bottom of the pile having seen him being thoroughly outclassed by Wladimir.

It's to be determined how good AJ will become, but currently i couldn't see him getting past Wlad or Fury - it's unlikely he will get the challenges required in order to reach their level as well. Wilder, I believe will soon be found out, but he would probably outgun Haye or defeat him on points with Haye struggling with Wilder's size.

A lot of great match ups to be made over the next couple of years - this is how I personally rank them:

1. Fury
2. Wlad
3. AJ
4. Wilder
5. Haye

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again... Empty Re: Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again...

Post by Derbymanc Sat 05 Dec 2015, 8:29 am

I think we're starting to be in danger of going overboard with Fury at the moment, yes he had a great win, yes it's great for the HW scene as everyones talking about it but don't think we can put him head and shoulders above everyone else yet. He's got his rematch with Wlad to come then some decent defences and then we can rank him properly.

I wouldn't have AJ near the top either as he's really fought chaff and whilst there is obvious power there, we all thought the same about David Price.

Think Fury at the moment is in the same bracket as Wilder, done really well to win (Fury is better imo) but it's who they face next which will set their stall.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again... Empty Re: Heavyweight boxing - has it become alive again...

Post by horizontalhero Sat 05 Dec 2015, 9:02 am

It has definitely spring to life, and the fact that there are so many question marks about this current crop is part of that; I am not yet convinced that Fury is as good as his win over Wlad, it will require a win over another big name ,and one that isn't nearly 40 at that. AJ is a red herring at present, he's not ready to dropped into the deep end yet, despite what Truss may say, he needs more experience, and should follow the established British then European title route to the top. Wilder doesn't seem to have much ability, but a huge puncher is always in with a shout, especially one who isn't gunshot and happy to keep throwing bombs. Haye seems to be being written off by a lot of people, somewhat prematurely in my opinion. One bad performance against Wlad doesn't cover the fact that he's very talented and can bang with the best of them, I will reserve judgement until he's had a couple of fights. and with regards to Wlad, he deserves his chance of redemption against Fury, but he looked poor against Tyson, and I am not convinced that he can do much more in a rematch, given that his tactics are always the same, you have to wonder what he thinks he can do differently next time out.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down