The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different?

+5
huw
TRUSSMAN66
horizontalhero
TopHat24/7
AdamT
9 posters

Go down

If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different? Empty If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different?

Post by AdamT Tue 12 Jan 2016, 11:14 pm

I think if Tyson had of fought Holyfield in 91, he would of won a close decision.

Also I have done a u turn on Floyd vs Pac. I believe had they fought 6 years ago, Pacquiao would of beat him.

These are just my opinion. I'm sure many will disagree.

I'm sure some of you guys will come back with some great choices.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different? Empty Re: If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different?

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:11 am

I'd always backed Floyd to beat Manny, but Floyd's 'retirement' coincided with their chances being closest, IMO. 55:45 Floyd.

Floyd-Holy 91 is interesting. It's pre-prison but post-Buster Tyson versus the guy that beat the guy that arguably destroyed the 'myth'. Holy had incredible will and I think would have carried it into this fight to take the win still.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different? Empty Re: If fights had of happened earlier, would the outcome be different?

Post by AdamT Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:21 am

Tophat I would now make Pacquiao the favourite. I think his volume punching would of been a lot for Floyd to handle. Remember, this is a Pacquaio that had not been flattened by JMM.

Floyd was smart to not take that fight. I still rate Floyd overall higher, but at that time, I definitely think Pacquaio would win a decision. Perhaps Floyd would learn from it and win a rematch, but I have a sneaky feeling Floyd, knew he had a big chance of losing.

The Tyson vs Holyfield one is interesting. I back Tyson on points, but only just.

Any other good ones?

What about Leonard vs Hearns 2, if that happened shortly after the first fight?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:25 am

I would pick Holy to beat Tyson any time after the Spinks fight to be honest. As for other fights, easy if we are looking at fighters at the end of their careers- e.g. Ali -Holmes goes to Ali if it happened 4 years earlier, Holmes beats Spinks if it was a year or two earlier, Louis- Marciano etc, etc.
you may be right about Hearns-Leonard, but I think Leonard would hold a psychological advantage, and would pressure Hearns earlier resulting in almost an action replay of the first fight.
I have a feeling that Holyfield may have beaten Lewis if it had happened earlier .

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:26 am

AdamT wrote:Tophat I would now make Pacquiao the favourite. I think his volume punching would of been a lot for Floyd to handle. Remember, this is a Pacquaio that had not been flattened by JMM.

Floyd was smart to not take that fight. I still rate Floyd overall higher, but at that time, I definitely think Pacquaio would win a decision. Perhaps Floyd would learn from it and win a rematch, but I have a sneaky feeling Floyd, knew he had a big chance of losing.

The Tyson vs Holyfield one is interesting. I back Tyson on points, but only just.

Any other good ones?

His punch volume didn't seem to bother Marquez...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Tophat I would now make Pacquiao the favourite. I think his volume punching would of been a lot for Floyd to handle. Remember, this is a Pacquaio that had not been flattened by JMM.

Any other good ones?

His punch volume didn't seem to bother Marquez...

Marquez was an aggressive counter puncher. Floyd likes to throw single punches. A bit different. I think Pac would of won. I was always a Floyd man, but in my opinion he didn't take that fight earlier for the fear of losing.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:40 am

I'll play all these fights would have been different.......

Chavez v Kosta......
Martinez v Cotto......
Holmes v Spinks.......
Tyson v Holy.....
Johnson V Willard.....
Louis v Charles......
Corbett v Fitz.....
Curry v Mccallum.....
Zale v Cerdan.......
Camacho v Chavez (1984/85)....

These fights would have stayed the same had they fought earlier...

Pryor v Arguello ........Always beats Arguello at 140..
Hatton v Kosta...........
Leonard v Hagler........
Whittaker v Nelson......Perfect illustration in disarming a great pressure fighter !!
Mayweather v Manny....
Tunney v Dempsey.......
Walcott v Louis.............

Off the top of my head..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:43 am

You fancy Hatton beating Kostya anytime? Different ref and a couple years earlier, I think Kostya would of knocked him out.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:49 am

Kosta was made for Ricky..........

Lateral movement...Angles..Speed.....Hatton hated them.....

Always back Hatton in a war..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:50 am

Hatton wrestled too much in that fight. Any fair ref wouldn't of allowed that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:57 am

He hit Hatton with his best shots..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 14 Jan 2016, 1:16 pm

Ali vs Holmes.

The fight was just cruel and had it happened when Ali wasn't already broken it would have been very different.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

He could never have fought Holmes earlier and won..Holmes beats Ali from 76-onwards...

Talking about actual fights where fighting earlier would have mattered aren't we.??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:33 pm

3 more fights that would have been different

Chavez v DLH
Whittaker v DLH
Whittaker v Trinidad

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

Oscar vs Manny?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:42 pm

AdamT wrote:You fancy Hatton beating Kostya anytime? Different ref and a couple years earlier, I think Kostya would of knocked him out.
If it had happened earlier Kostya would definitely have had enough left to come out for the last round.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

I'd pick Oscar over JC at lightweight all day everyday..

He was a monster at the weight and he'd own Chavez with the jab all night If he was eight years younger just the same...

Oscar struggled with boxers not guys who stood in front of him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:38 pm

What about Calzaghe vs Jones, say 2002? Jones was operating at light heavyweight at the time, but not totally unfeasible. Mind you, we wouldn't have had the classic that was Joe vs Tocker Pudwell then. Very Happy

Still would have been a competitive fight and not a foregone conclusion. I would put Jones to shade it.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:38 pm

Alan Rickman vs Bruce Willis in Die Hard. What if it was Easter instead of Christmas, would Gruber have triumphed?

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

If it happened today, Rickman wouldn't stand a chance.

Too soon?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:46 pm

After feasting on that coke head earlier in the film....Rickman was past his peak by the time he got Willis..

Pickem for me after 60 mins...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:25 pm

If it goes on acting ability, Rickman beats Willis in a one sided beat down.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 15 Jan 2016, 8:32 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He could never have fought Holmes earlier and won..Holmes beats Ali from 76-onwards...

Talking about actual fights where fighting earlier would have mattered aren't we.??

I would have backed Ali to have won prior to the Thriller in Manila, so probably a year earlier than your suggestion. Just can't see how Holmes would have coped with that Ali, too clever, too tough and flashy enough to have won rounds.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down