The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

+83
Biltong
GavCanDance
GunsGerms
Comfort
aucklandlaurie
Newsilure
profitius
lostinwales
Dontheman2
fa0019
No 7&1/2
rainbow-warrior
The Great Aukster
SecretFly
tatterd
Cardiff Dave
nathan
englandglory4ever
dublin_dave
exile jack
greygoose
Exiledinborders
anaNg
R!skysports
sad_gimp
nobbled
VinceWLB
Engine#4
glamorganalun
stub
Sgt_Pooly
offload
Duty281
gog1992
wales606
Peter Stringer
TJ
Blueschief
Seagultaf
Sin é
BigTrevsbigmac
whocares
DirtyRucker7
majesticimperialman
stevetynant
Golden
PenfroPete
jimmyinthewell68
Kingshu
thebandwagonsociety
theslosty
Rory_Gallagher
irnbrew
geoff999rugby
Fanster
Breadvan
rapidsnowman
RiscaGame
Knowsit17
Gwlad
carpet baboon
RubyGuby
RuggerRadge2611
eirebilly
Pete330v2
bedfordwelsh
wayne
BamBam
True Raven
Luckless Pedestrian
GavinDragon
TightHEAD
Cyril
maestegmafia
rodders
Pot Hale
Marshes
munkian
Shifty
Notch
mikey_dragon
LordDowlais
George Carlin
87 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Empty 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Irelan11 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Wales_11
IRELAND v WALES
7 February 2016
KO: 15:00 GMT
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on RTE, ITV, FR2, DMAX, BBC(H)

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

123 Played 123
52 Won 67
4 Drawn 4
67 Lost 52
1,365 Points 1,461

B. Recent Form

29 August 2015
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
10 – 16 to Wales

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

C. Teams

IRELAND
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Michae11
S Zebo; A Trimble, J Payne, R Henshaw, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best (capt), N White; D Toner, M McCarthy; CJ Stander, T O’Donnell, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, J Cronin, T Furlong, D Ryan, R Ruddock, K Marmion, I Madigan, D Kearney.

WALES
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Anthon11
G Anscombe; G North, J Davies, J Roberts, T James; D Biggar, G Davies; R Evans, S Baldwin, S Lee, L Charteris, A-W Jones, S Warburton (capt), J Tipuric, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, G Jenkins, T Francis, B Davies, D Lydiate, L Williams, R Priestland, A Cuthbert

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Empty Re: 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by TJ Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm

England will certainly have to show a lot more to beat either of the teams on show today - the tempo was so much higher

TJ

Back to top Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 Empty Re: 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by Notch Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:11 pm

TJ wrote:England will certainly have to show a lot more to beat either of the teams on show today - the tempo was so much higher

England will improve a lot over the next few weeks I feel.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:11 pm

Well done Ireland. Pretty happy with a draw at the end from our perspective because there was a point in the first quarter where I thought we would lose by a decent margin.

I thought both teams have plenty to work on, but the newer faces did well on both teams.

Most of all I thought itv did a great job hosting the occasion on TV. Jonny Wilkinson and Brian O'Driscoll were very interesting.

Let's hope there are a few more tries to come for both teams. Wales vs Ireland's last few games have all been about titanic defense nullifying attack.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:12 pm

Notch wrote:
TJ wrote:England will certainly have to show a lot more to beat either of the teams on show today - the tempo was so much higher

I think all teams will, nervous starts by everyone this weekend.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:31 pm

Notch wrote:

u

I think so to & putting the first round of matches in perspective I think England's RESULT is the most telling given the state of the current teams.
I also believe a lot of pundits predicting Wales for the championship will reassess their predictions as they failed to put away Ireland 'b'.

As I stated earlier, the first games of the 6Ns are traditionally scrappy affairs & results & momentum are key in this tournament.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:34 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Notch wrote:

u

I think so to & putting the first round of matches in perspective I think England's RESULT is the most telling given the state of the current teams.
I also believe a lot of pundits predicting Wales for the championship will reassess their predictions as they failed to put away Ireland 'b'.

As I stated earlier, the first games of the 6Ns are traditionally scrappy affairs & results & momentum are key in this tournament.

Very poor wum.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:45 pm

Wales' box and tactical kicking was poor today and i'm concerned that Brown/Nowell/Joseph and Watson will punish us at HQ without large improvement.That English pack seems quite grunty even with their current 6 and7.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtyRucker7 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:46 pm

What? we are the only team who can get the Slam now, we took that game against a WorldClass Scottish side whom Ireland and Wales would have lost against by a big score.

DirtyRucker7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:57 pm

This is true.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:16 am

RubyGuby wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:So Liam Williams risked his career by trying to injure himself, in order to get Earls sent off? Rightio. Guys can you image the meltdown on here if Liam Williams put that tackle in on an Irish player? It would be infinte and vaguely amusing.

Too right MD they were baying for Jamie after he flattened their centre with a legal tackle you tell ' em mate boxing

Apparently it's ok to hit a guy on the chin with your shoulder - it's called surgical reconstitution, so Roberts is completely without blame. (It's also OK to deliberately knock on when the opposition have a potential score) - no doubt Garces will have his guide to Law interpretation at the back of his memoirs to explain the inexplicable.

Earls is a lucky boy - should have been carded no question - if it had been Payne he would have got red  I loved the way Williams held his head showing his true class even though his head never actually hit the ground - did the 'voices' make him do that? Still Earls put himself about, but there is always one moment in every game where he has a total brain f**t.

Zebo was awful for Ireland and on that showing shouldn't play again for a long time, certainly not at 15. In defence he stood off tackles and was out of position. He showed how much out of his depth he was when Trimble had to dot down - instead of running back to give Andy a relieving pass he stayed in front. In attack he consistently ran up blind alleys ignoring the wide channels and basically killed attacking momentum.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:23 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:So Liam Williams risked his career by trying to injure himself, in order to get Earls sent off? Rightio. Guys can you image the meltdown on here if Liam Williams put that tackle in on an Irish player? It would be infinte and vaguely amusing.

Too right MD they were baying for Jamie after he flattened their centre with a legal tackle you tell ' em mate boxing

Apparently it's ok to hit a guy on the chin with your shoulder - it's called surgical reconstitution, so Roberts is completely without blame. (It's also OK to deliberately knock on when the opposition have a potential score) - no doubt Garces will have his guide to Law interpretation at the back of his memoirs to explain the inexplicable.

Earls is a lucky boy - should have been carded no question - if it had been Payne he would have got red  I loved the way Williams held his head showing his true class even though his head never actually hit the ground - did the 'voices' make him do that? Still Earls put himself about, but there is always one moment in every game where he has a total brain f**t.

Zebo was awful for Ireland and on that showing shouldn't play again for a long time, certainly not at 15. In defence he stood off tackles and was out of position. He showed how much out of his depth he was when Trimble had to dot down - instead of running back to give Andy a relieving pass he stayed in front. In attack he consistently ran up blind alleys ignoring the wide channels and basically killed attacking momentum.

Didn't take the Irish long to start hating on Liam Williams again. It wasn't even a deliberate knock-on btw, it was a fair attempt at an intercept at a moment where Ireland didn't look like scoring so that penalty was incorrect. The penalty at the end was a joke too, and we could have played an extra 80 minutes with Ireland not releasing or rolling away and they still wouldn't have been penalised. You can thank Garces for getting you the draw OK. Oh and yeah, that was a great tackle by Roberts, the real MOTM.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:43 am

Jesus .Mike I'm irish and both teams could have been pinged off the park at ruck time. Holding on and hands in all over the place. Do calm down

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:41 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Notch wrote:

u

Really is that the best you can do? I have kept quiet but BS like this is laughable. It just shows how pathetic you are and forgetful to a few months ago when Wales did you over and kicked you out of YOUR OWN world cup Smile You beat a far from good Scotland narrowly by the way.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:02 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Notch wrote:

u

Really is that the best you can do?  I have kept quiet but BS like this is laughable.  It just shows how pathetic you are and forgetful to a few months ago when Wales did you over and kicked you out of YOUR OWN world cup Smile  You beat a far from good Scotland narrowly by the way.

Yes you are right. We did beat a fairly settled team of Scotland. but beat them we did.

Wales on the other hand are the most settled team in the 6ns, and could only draw with an injury hit Ireland team.

Still which ever way you look at it after the first week. ENGLAND ARE THE LEADERS. Very Happy thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 08 Feb 2016, 7:42 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:What did you think of England with ball in hand, Glory?

England were clunky for the most part with ball in hand. Nowell try was a good one. I suspect England could end up with the most tries in the tournament but come second again.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:26 am

On the tip tackles I found two gifs of them.  Make your own minds up.  remember its subjective.  I cannot find the guidance I thought I had read which is that "legs lifted above hips and player not safely put to the ground is a tip tackle, player lands on head or neck  - red card, player lands on back yellow, player lands on front or arm no card"

For me this one is just a penalty as he gets his arm out and lands more on his front.  Just a penalty was given so for me its correct

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 7fe84a7428335bf8bf89951d727efcca

For me this one shuld have been yellow as he lands on his back

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 1e3fa9eb2501796141df1bd3c896d3be

HOwever as its all subjective the ref has to make his call and although the second one was not seen by the ref I would be pretty sure the 4th official would have seen it ( but we don't know)

We can say for sure tho that either could have been a yellow card so Earls can consider himself pretty lucky to get away with two marginal calls

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:41 am

TJ wrote:On the tip tackles I found two gifs of them.  Make your own minds up.  remember its subjective.  I cannot find the guidance I thought I had read which is that "legs lifted above hips and player not safely put to the ground is a tip tackle, player lands on head or neck  - red card, player lands on back yellow, player lands on front or arm no card"

For me this one is just a penalty as he gets his arm out and lands more on his front.  Just a penalty was given so for me its correct

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 7fe84a7428335bf8bf89951d727efcca

For me this one shuld have been yellow as he lands on his back
If
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 1e3fa9eb2501796141df1bd3c896d3be

HOwever as its all subjective the ref has to make his call and although the second one was not seen by the ref I would be pretty sure the 4th official would have seen it ( but we don't know)

We can say for sure tho that either could have been a yellow card so Earls can consider himself pretty lucky to get away with two marginal calls

Well done TG very conclusive GIFs.

Let's hope the citing comissioner does not look at the first one or Earls will be in a lot of trouble, legs above horizontal and landing on shoulders, only the tackled player putting his arm out protected him from landing on his head! The second looks like he was dumped on his back so yellow at worst.

Last edited by Seagultaf on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:42 am

DirtyRucker7 wrote:
What? we are the only team who can get the Slam now, we took that game against a WorldClass Scottish side whom Ireland and Wales would have lost against by a big score.

Bar France yes.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:55 am

Seagultaf wrote:
Let's hope the citing comissioner does not look at the first one or Earls will be in a lot of trouble, legs above horizontal and landing on shoulders, only the tackled player putting his arm out protected him from landing on his head! The second looks like he was dumped on his back so yellow at worst.

See how subjective it all is - for me the second is worse - the first he lands on his arm / shoulder / front so no card! Hug

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:34 am

TJ wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

See how subjective it all is - for me the second is worse - the first he lands on his arm / shoulder / front so no card! Hug

You must be looking at a different GIF to me if you think he landed on his front! If the citing comissioner is asked to look at that footage, Earls will be cited!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:39 am

Pretty disappointing stuff from Ireland and surprised at the positive spin coming out of the camp.

Great start but when Wales got into the game we lacked leadership under pressure. Wales generally dominated the collisions and were the better side.

Roberts was my motm - he really bullied Henshaw and dominated in midfield.

Ireland just lacked any creativity or variety - individually there is no x-factor in the backs apart from Stander no one really made any impact with the ball in hand.  

Zebo was shocking. Disinterested in catching any high balls and prepositionally all over the place. White and McCarthy are journeymen and not good enough at this level.

Hope Joe now brings in McCloskey and moves Payne or Henshaw to 15. I can see Earls getting cited so would bring in DK at 11.

France will be out for revenge for the RWC and I can see them getting too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:46 am

carpet baboon wrote:Jesus .Mike I'm irish and both teams could have been pinged off the park at ruck time. Holding on and hands in all over the place. Do calm down

Yeah probably. I just didn't happen to notice my team doing it that often Wink. It is basically the Irish game plan and it used to work well for them.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:47 am

Probably the best of the 3 matches on the weekend albeit none were classics. Ireland even though they had a decent first 20 looked poor, a little lacking in vision. The welsh looked bemused in defence i.e. is this the Ireland who used to have a bag of tricks for every backline move. It was so basic, the most adventurous was one or two mis-passes. Wales simply lapped it up with ease.
A few years ago Ireland would set teams up and then in 3-4 phases they were through a well worked hole. I would say they were probably facing the best team in the tournament mind so a draw isn't a disaster. Most predicted a Wales win.

I think Wales should be a little miffed themselves that for all their dominance in the 2nd half they didn't transfer that dominance into points and they could easily have lost it at the end.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:50 am

Well one positive is that now we have Wales out of the way. That is the one fixture I tend to dread because their defense is so tight and they just don't stop!

France in Paris isn't what it used to be.

Ireland by 15  Cool  

Wales or Ireland for the title

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:56 am

fa0019 wrote:Probably the best of the 3 matches on the weekend albeit none were classics. Ireland even though they had a decent first 20 looked poor, a little lacking in vision. The welsh looked bemused in defence i.e. is this the Ireland who used to have a bag of tricks for every backline move. It was so basic, the most adventurous was one or two mis-passes. Wales simply lapped it up with ease.
A few years ago Ireland would set teams up and then in 3-4 phases they were through a well worked hole.
I would say they were probably facing the best team in the tournament mind so a draw isn't a disaster. Most predicted a Wales win.

I think Wales should be a little miffed themselves that for all their dominance in the 2nd half they didn't transfer that dominance into points and they could easily have lost it at the end.

Yea totally agree, that was the most disappointing thing. It was very predictable and Roberts was able to line up the Irish midfield every time. Really disappointed Sexton didn't mix things up a bit and change the point of attack and kick a bit more to keep the defense guessing.

We produced a lot of quick ball but really didn't do much with it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:01 am

Before the match yesterday I would have bet on a Welsh victory. I didn't see Ireland being able to deal with Gatland's team selection so a draw is a result to celebrate IMO. I was hoping we'd have moved on from the containing tactics we utilized in the RWC but alas it's the same concentrated defence that leaves us with a lacklustre attack. That being said Wales didn't exactly offer a lot in attack either so the draw is a fair reflection of the match. I can't help but feel a little disappointed at not winning after going 13-0 up but beggars can't be choosers, the title is still very achievable for either side, there's a few hurdles ahead mind you.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:20 am

"Quote
by DirtyRucker7 Today at 10:46 am
TJ wrote:

England will certainly have to show a lot more to beat either of the teams on show today - the tempo was so much higher
”What? we are the only team who can get the Slam now, we took that game against a WorldClass Scottish side whom Ireland and Wales would have lost against by a big score.quote"
Don't think so. Laidlaw missed a sitter. Russell kicked out when Hogg was outside him on his shoulder. Squandered a try from a ruck on the England line. The much vaunted front row were barely in it with Cole and co.

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:27 am

Don - he is a troll - best ignored

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

So we woz gonna get smashed and have our heads handed to us on a rusty plate, coz wot because of Gatland being like a Cavan man and all miserable like......

...then we play ...well certainly as good as Super duper favourites Wales, with their big guns and their vaunted International star class bench,.... and we manage to snipe a draw after an immense day at the defending office (as per usual for Irish sides.....).... and some think it not enough for now from a bunch of rookies and a few stale pieces of older bread?

Some guys just never get satisfied I reckon.....

Having said all that, I agree with Rodders assessment 100%! Wink - There are no creative ideas.... and no creative sparks to set off any creative ideas.... or players with enough 'leg' to beat their opponents when they have any spark ideas.  We've become a very ordinary bunch of cusses - and therefore that was a wonderful 'win' yesterday under such circumstances.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:26 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Notch wrote:

u

Really is that the best you can do?  I have kept quiet but BS like this is laughable.  It just shows how pathetic you are and forgetful to a few months ago when Wales did you over and kicked you out of YOUR OWN world cup Smile  You beat a far from good Scotland narrowly by the way.

Yes you are right. We did beat a fairly settled team of Scotland. but beat them we did.

Wales on the other hand are the most settled team in the 6ns, and could only draw with an injury hit Ireland team.

Still which ever way you look at it after the first week. ENGLAND ARE THE LEADERS. Very Happy thumbsup

We're not that settled. We are still working on our set piece and had a lot of injured players come back in after playing little rugby, that's far from settled. The Irish team was pretty settled as they picked all their form players - but I accept that nobody is really putting their hand up for the 15 jersey.

Congratulations on being the leaders after the first week Headscratch, do you expect it to last?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:29 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Congratulations on being the leaders after the first week Headscratch, do you expect it to last?

Given they have Italy next at home, I'd expect it to last another week ...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:29 am

mikey_dragon wrote:The Irish team was pretty settled as they picked all their form players

Eh?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:29 am

"The Irish team was pretty settled as they picked all their form players"

Really??
Form players?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:30 am

We'll first have to get a definition for 'Settled' that all 606ers can agree with............................................. Shocked Shocked

Fairwell and adieu to you fair Spanish maiden.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:44 am

SecretFly wrote:We'll first have to get a definition for 'Settled' that all 606ers can agree with............................................. Shocked Shocked

Fairwell and adieu to you fair Spanish maiden.....

Its easy. 'Settled' is what the other team is....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:57 am

Welcome back secretfly!

Well I finally got around to watching the rest of the match. Throwing away 13 points lead is disappointing especially considering the manner of it.

The Irish tight 5 were worse than I thought they would be. White, McCarthy and Toner are very limited and won't be around in 2 years time or even next season. Zebo blew hot and very cold too.

Overall a point lost.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:58 am

Pete330v2 wrote:"The Irish team was pretty settled as they picked all their form players"

Really??
Form players?

The provincial teams are quite close knit, contrast to our welsh teams, so for a start they're better at slotting in new players. I'd say Ireland also have good strength in depth. You certainly missed Henderson but the two locks you had starting aren't exactly inexperienced are they? We've been hearing since before the RWC how the likes of McGrath, Stander, Henshaw, Earls etc are playing better than all the other Leinster guys. Now all of a sudden it's an Irish B team. Ireland put out a good team and I'm guessing these one-liners are only being posted to make you feel better about being handed a draw by Garces. Wales were the better team.

Who do you think was woefully off form in that team? Having watched the league so far this season, I'd say nobody.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:07 pm

profitius wrote:Welcome back secretfly!

Well I  finally got around to watching the rest of the match. Throwing away 13 points lead is disappointing especially considering the manner of it.

The Irish tight 5 were worse than I thought they would be. White, McCarthy and Toner are very limited and won't be around in 2 years time or even next season. Zebo blew hot and very cold too.

Overall a point lost.

Thanks Prof Smile It won't be for long though and I won't be as profuse!!!!! I'm terribly busy and that 6N weekend was the first rugby I've genuinely seen all season! I'm way out of the loop on player form details etc. I didn't even recognise Heaslip with his new curlylocks look Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:12 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:"The Irish team was pretty settled as they picked all their form players"

Really??
Form players?
Wales were the better team.

Well that was the publicity angle anyway in the lead up. And yep, they were better at sawing over and back the width of the field (usually an Irish 'skill') so yep...better at attempting to look like an attacking team...but then Ireland were the only team that left a 'half-chance' 'winning' try behind them that might have been called good had a camera seen it. Wink

No I think Ireland did better than the pundits ever expected and Wales.......... well, they lived to fight on another day.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

SecretFly wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Really??
Form players?

Well that was the publicity angle anyway in the lead up.  And yep, they were better at sawing over and back the width of the field (usually an Irish 'skill')  so yep...better at attempting to look like an attacking team...but then Ireland were the only team that left a 'half-chance' 'winning' try behind them that might have been called good had a camera seen it. Wink

No I think Ireland did better than the pundits ever expected and Wales.......... well, they lived to fight on another day.

Both didn't look great, but considering Ireland's new look to the team then I think they can get some credit, if they have to... Who is your defence coach btw? Ireland always have a good defence.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Really??
Form players?

Well that was the publicity angle anyway in the lead up.  And yep, they were better at sawing over and back the width of the field (usually an Irish 'skill')  so yep...better at attempting to look like an attacking team...but then Ireland were the only team that left a 'half-chance' 'winning' try behind them that might have been called good had a camera seen it. Wink

Both didn't look great, but considering Ireland's new look to the team then I think they can get some credit, if they have to... Who is your defence coach btw? Ireland always have a good defence.

I thought you said they were settled?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:34 pm

Yep.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:58 pm

Ireland don't have a defence coach as Andy Farrell isn't allowed to start working for the IRFU until after the Six Nations is over due to a non-compete clause in his England contract. Joe Schmidt is responsible for coaching the defence.

It's another reason I'm not expecting much innovation in attack; he's responsible for that too and double jobbing is tough.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greygoose Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:01 pm

Notch wrote:Ireland don't have a defence coach as Andy Farrell isn't allowed to start working for the IRFU until after the Six Nations is over due to a non-compete clause in his England contract. Joe Schmidt is responsible for coaching the defence.

It's another reason I'm not expecting much innovation in attack; he's responsible for that too and double jobbing is tough.

Unfortunately, we haven't had much innovation when he's only had one job!

greygoose

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Stringer Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:11 pm

Notch wrote:Ireland don't have a defence coach as Andy Farrell isn't allowed to start working for the IRFU until after the Six Nations is over due to a non-compete clause in his England contract. Joe Schmidt is responsible for coaching the defence.

When Farrell joins Ireland he will have some background in Irish rugby being a consultant with Munster. By surrounding himself with liginds and the pashon of Munster rugby he will be able to bring that to an Irish setup in sore need of it. He has steady had a number of meetings with leading players and POM was giving him a lesson in pashon anthem singing.

Interesting fact, Munster is an anglicised version of the Old Irish Múnstòir meaning ligind defending in the wide channels.

Peter Stringer

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

greygoose wrote:

Unfortunately, we haven't had much innovation when he's only had one job!

That's obviously coz Kiss wanted defence prioritised Wink  

You can't be attacking as you're sitting back on defence duty...time and physics doesn't allow both to happen at the same time through an 80 minutes.  
Kiss's defensive mindset seems to have been concentrated on defence at it's most elementary...to defend you must stop the ball carrier and quickly assume defensive position again for the next defensive sequence.... repeat over and over and keep 'em owth!

But that requires a lot of energy and concentration on one aspect with players afraid to be caught out in high demand defensive duty.

This continues without Kiss now because now we have one coach doing attack and defence again.... (but we've actually seen more bite in attack yesterday...more desire to straighten up and attack direct and attempt to find holes than to simply weave the width of the field)

Farrell might hopefully try the benefits of counter-attack defending where you turn passive defence into attack more readily, helping to push off the waves of attack that hit passive defences through an 80 minute game.

Ireland simply needs to spend more of an 80 minutes in genuine attack mode...AS a defensive mechanism in itself.  We simply choose to sit back too long and too often, and that's not a defensive strategy, that's an attack killer.  To attack you need to devote time to it.  To defend better you need to attack more.  A game is only 80 minutes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:29 pm

The ITV studio stuff was OK, but it was really anaysis lite as it was annoyingly punctuated by extremely long ad breaks. The actual camera coverage of the game was very poor. They had either very wide angle stuff where the players could hardly be recognised or were so close there was little context of the play in relation to the pitch.

There was no RTE coverage on Sky 162 either as ITV were obviously trying to reach as many eyes as possible. Will that affect the U20s games in the future?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

Both sets of fans seem disappointed so which set are deluding themselves (if any):

(1) The ones who think they blew a 13-0 lead after 15 minutes or
(2) The ones who for the last 65 minutes were 16-3 up and dominating the scrums only to lose the win to a brain fart by Lloyd Williams.

I'll now stand back and watch the reasoned debate unfold thumbsup 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 13 1347041234

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm

SecretFly wrote:That's obviously coz Kiss wanted defence prioritised Wink  

You can't be attacking as you're sitting back on defence duty...time and physics doesn't allow both to happen at the same time through an 80 minutes.  
Kiss's defensive mindset seems to have been concentrated on defence at it's most elementary...to defend you must stop the ball carrier and quickly assume defensive position again for the next defensive sequence.... repeat over and over and keep 'em owth!

But that requires a lot of energy and concentration on one aspect with players afraid to be caught out in high demand defensive duty..

Interesting that since Kiss took over at Ulster his philosophy has been attack, attack, attack and attack some more. Schmidt also prioritised attack when he was coaching at provincial level. I sound like a broken record at this point, but imagine if we had a summer Six Nations with coaches given lots of time to work with their squad in the build-up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:36 pm

greygoose wrote:Unfortunately, we haven't had much innovation when he's only had one job!

I'm sorry but thats not true. Nearly every game we play I see some new move or set play, our set plays around the line out and maul are particularly good.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next