The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs

+10
hend085
GPB
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
navyblueshorts
Bob_the_Job
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs - Page 2 Empty Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 25 Jan 2016, 2:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Article from BBC HERE saying that B DeC has clubs all the same length and weight.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 03 Feb 2016, 2:29 pm

lol yeah nothing to do with my carefully crafted 'furyk' I'm sure!
Just funny how many people seem to struggle with it.
I def think it's not a 'lashers' club, more of a ticklers affair...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryson DeChambeaus' (DeChambeaux?) clubs

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:47 pm

GolfWRX item on new single length clubs

Something on GolfWRX about some new bats on this principal might be of interest.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:06 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:GolfWRX item on new single length clubs

Something on GolfWRX about some new bats on this principal might be of interest.
Interesting if Wishon's involved. He's no mug.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

I'd not want them all the same length. I don't see the reason for making anything north of an 7 or 8 iron (i.e. 8,9,PW) longer than they are.
The reason for it is for consistency. So it's the 3,4,5 and 6 I'd be looking to improve the shots with as short irons are traditionally easier to hit. So making the longer clubs (so to speak) the length and weight of a 6-7 iron would suit me better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

I guess a sort of "pro-combo" set might give the best of both worlds for players that are already used to playing and just have consistency issues with the longer clubs.

I'd also guess that for beginners it would be easier to develop (relative) competence with a full set the same size. Although I'd say everyone's "ideal" size will differ slightly so a balance between custom build and off the shelf might mean it's not partricularly commercially viable unless/until De Chambeaux wins big (or Tiger starts using them - successfully - which might be a while!).

I've seen a few things by Wishon and he does seem to make sense so perhaps telling if he's having at least a potter around it.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm

The conclusion I seem to be drawing from this is that shaft length doesn't have much impact on distance. So they can make a 4 iron that travels normal distance even though it has an 8 iron length shaft.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:50 pm

Not exactly Ray. Swing speed reduces as the shaft becomes shorter, therefore in order for a 4 iron with an 8 iron shaft to go as far, you'll need to put less loft on the 4 iron head, i.e make the loft closer to a 2 iron, which creates further issues in itself.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:09 pm

As I said way back at the beginning of the thread, what is the loss of distance as shaft length deceases for a particular loft? If is is small then his method makes sense, if you loose 30 yards on a 3 iron it doesn't make so much sense.

What we need to see is a a fixed loft attached to one of those swing robots and plot the decrease in distance as the shaft is lowered by a fixed amount.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

Mac, I read something about 7-8 mph loss in swing speed, not sure what that equates too, but clearly means you'll have to deloft a bit to make up for it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

A 7-8 mph loss in swing speed for what compared to what?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Feb 2016, 3:42 pm

compared to what you'd be hitting with the iron at a normal length
I'm not sure whether this is 3 iron to an 8 or what, but clearly there will be lower club speeds if you cut down your clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:01 pm

Very quick and dirty estimate:
If the club head was describing a perfect circle (which it's not but it's not far off) and if your rotational speed stayed the same (which it more or less does), then the club head speed in the direction of the shot would decrease pro rata with the reduction of the distance between the club head and the point of rotation.

Standard 3 iron is about 39 inches, standard arms, let's call them 21 inches centre of grip to chest = 60 inches total. A 6 iron is typically about 2 inches shorter than a 3 iron, so 2/60 or about 3.5% difference. All else being equal, this suggests a 3.5% reduction in distance ignoring the benefit of hitting it better by having a 3 iron the length of a 6 iron.

But a golf swing has a lot more moving parts than that, so it's only an order of magnitude indication.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 15 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm

I'm not a mathemetician. Does it work like that Bob? ie if you increase the radius of a circle by 10%, then you need to increase your speed by 10% to travel around the circuference of the circle in the same time.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:17 pm

The clubhead speed depends on the rpm of the club and the radius of the swing. Assuming the rpm is the same for all clubs / irons, the clubhead speed must then be directly proportional to the radius of the swing.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:38 am

raycastleunited wrote:I'm not a mathemetician. Does it work like that Bob? ie if you increase the radius of a circle by 10%, then you need to increase your speed by 10% to travel around the circuference of the circle in the same time.

Yep - see Pedro's explanation...circumference = 2*pie*r
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2