The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin Murray Calls Out Groves

+10
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
armchairwarrior
shenglong2015
Happytravelling
Lance
AZZJ44
horizontalhero
AlexHuckerby
14 posters

Go down

Martin Murray Calls Out Groves Empty Martin Murray Calls Out Groves

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Good fight providing Groves gets through Di Luisa on Saturday. Would be a big fight. Possibly put this on a PPV undercard though... Has that sort of feel to it, but it is a good fight. Murray failed in 4 world title attempts Groves in 3, am sure Truss be out in full force for the "battle of the perennial losers"

Fancy Groves for it though, bit better with his feet and Murray's not got the same physical presence at 68. Murray could just end up walking through enough to get to Groves ala Froch.

Source: Sky Sports Boxing Twitter Feed

Thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Martin Murray Calls Out Groves Empty Re: Martin Murray Calls Out Groves

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Anything to do with the perineum will excite TRUSS!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Don't think murray has enough pop to walk through Groves, and don't really think that Froch walked through him to be honest, but against murray he should be able to a comfortable win .

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Groves hits hard enough to stop Murray and I'd expect him to after the pasting Murray had off Golovkin.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Golovkin was talking about his sparring with Groves. He said Groves is a good fighter and could easily be world champion. Then went on and said he doesn't have much power though and that's his problem... He decked Froch to be fair to the lad!! Said that Groves was an easy spar for him but that he's a good fighter.

Sky sports website

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Oh he also said he broke Groves' ribs

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Would expect an easy win for Groves. Too quick, hits harder and looks bigger too. Don't particularly rate Murray's skills anyhow. Got a lucky draw against Sturm and a good time to box Martinez. Looked poor against Golovkin

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

I'd be surprised if either took it. Pretty much last chance saloon for both.

I'd expect at least a couple of warm up fights.

Both were good enough to be champs, at their prime (if they are on the slide).

I was shocked how lacklustre they both were in their last fights. Sign of being on the slide?

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Get the feeling Murray doesn't mind being in last chance saloon, he's plied his trade at middle and had a go at Super Middle, he wont mind rolling the dice once more, and if he fails hanging them up.

A defeat for George if this fight came to fruition would have more damaging effects I feel.....

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:33 pm

As Alex said, article re Golovkin in Sporting life about Groves...straight to the point assessment and he praised Groves as a boxer. Thinks he's good, just lacks power. Interesting because he showed it against Froch on their first fight, but was that more due to a good punch but landing on an unsuspecting Froch...

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:44 pm

I'd take those comments with a pinch of salt, his team will have told him no to say anything that makes him seem vulnerable or less superhuman, when he says Groves is too slow for him you know it's a bit of BS.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:49 pm

I very much doubt Groves lacks power, he has sparked plenty of people

Didn't he knock out Paul Smith with one punch?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Can't see the point in Groves taking this fight...It's time wasting..it isn't much of a victory and more importantly he's showing wear now.

Beat this guy on Saturday and fight Degale in the summer..

Longer he waits for Degale the more it suits Degale..

He has less mileage.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Does DeGale have to fight Groves? If he avoided him would it really tarnish his career and potential future legacy?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Money talks...It's a stadium fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:19 pm

I know your a straight talking urine or get off the pot guy Trussman from your posts. I don't disagree with this thinking for some fighters,

With George, hes not part of the atay busy against easy fodder brigade. he's talented still the right side of 30 and after 3 world defeats of which 2 to Froch to be fair were hugely entertaining and probably did him little harm, he probably has to think about earnings and future I guess and McGuigans will be helping him. If it's a confidence thing (which wouldn't be surprising atm) he needs every ounce of support from them as he's shown he's in principle capable...

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:23 pm

His performances have been pretty sub par since Froch 2......

Personally I think that right hand from Froch has aged him....Seen it before with Big John Tate post Weaver....

He needs to save what's left for a big night...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Still believe that decking Froch like he did went to Groves head, after the Froch fights started throwing too many power punches which left him wide open, rather than sticking to he's boxing.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Honeyghan, Curry and Hamed went the same way...Nico.

You could be right..but I think like some other fighters he just isn't the same after a heavy knockout and it was a peach.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Honeyghan, Curry and Hamed went the same way...Nico.

You could be right..but I think like some other fighters he just isn't the same after a heavy knockout and it was a peach.
Very true Truss, if Groves can't beat Murray he should call it a day.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:45 am

[quote="TRUSSMAN66"]His performances have been pretty sub par since Froch 2......

Personally I think that right hand from Froch has aged him....Seen it before with Big John Tate post Weaver....

He needs to save what's left for a big night...[/quote]
Catch22 though TRUSS, If he doesn't give it his all, he may not do enough to warrant that next big fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 am

I heard Groves on buncey's podcast a few weeks ago and he sounded the most confident he had since the Froch fights. Every interview since those fights prior to this one he just sounded a bit bummed out and a but forced trying to big his self up. Hoping it was just the issues with his trainer and he has now found that spark again under mcguigan.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:49 am

Chudinov, Jack, Degale and Abraham as champs suggests that we could yet end up with 2 or 3 british world champions at this weight. Suddenly not the highest quality of divisions.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:50 am

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:His performances have been pretty sub par since Froch 2......

He needs to save what's left for a big night...[/quote]
Catch22 though TRUSS, If he doesn't give it his all, he may not do enough to warrant that next big fight.

Royally f*cked up the quote function there...sausage fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Groves obviously needs confidence, so I don't think he'll take the fight with Murray.

I think Murray would take it.

Nico might be right with groves being too keen on a big punch.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:27 am

George is a different level of fighter to Murray but if he's really has regressed it could be interesting

But Murray isn't a big puncher or a particularly relentless one so yea I can see Groves taking it although would most likely go 12
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Groves absolutely ripped into Paddy Fitzpatrick the other day on IFL. Said he let him down on more than one occasion, had him training incorrectly, have him bad advice, have him the wrong gameplan and simply wasn't gold enough at all. Really ripped into him, but poor training could.be the reason for poor performances, his second performance against Froch was a pretty different Groves to be fair and after. See if McGuigan can turn him around.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Why stay with him for what was four fights if the training was that bad, I like Groves but he will blame anyone or anything before admitting he hasn't been performing well enough since Froch. I can't see somebody who likes to think he knows best on every aspect sticking with a trainer that is doing things wrong, just an excuse as per usual.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Why stay with him for what was four fights if the training was that bad, I like Groves but he will blame anyone or anything before admitting he hasn't been performing well enough since Froch. I can't see somebody who likes to think he knows best on every aspect sticking with a trainer that is doing things wrong, just an excuse as per usual.
Yes I like Groves, but poor excuse blaming the trainer, Groves wouldn't have said anything negative about the traning after the 1st Froch fight.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Groves was psychologically damaged from the first fight and ever since then has been a lesser fighter not just because of the bad stoppage but because he evidently felt he had to conserve his energy. This was evident in fight two where he adapted to conserve energy rather than continue with what caused his success in the first fight, chiefly, keeping froch hurt and off balance. Instead, he adjusted and from that point on Froch was a batsman getting his eye in then waiting for the opportunity to end it. His only hope is returning to how he was in the first fight against Froch and I think that's been taken out of him - by himself/his mental frailties more than anything else.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:39 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Groves was psychologically damaged from the first fight and ever since then has been a lesser fighter not just because of the bad stoppage but because he evidently felt he had to conserve his energy. This was evident in fight two where he adapted to conserve energy rather than continue with what caused his success in the first fight, chiefly, keeping froch hurt and off balance. Instead, he adjusted and from that point on Froch was a batsman getting his eye in then waiting for the opportunity to end it. His only hope is returning to how he was in the first fight against Froch and I think that's been taken out of him - by himself/his mental frailties more than anything else.
I still believe that the success he had in the 1st fight against Froch went to he's head, should have been using his boxing skills against Jack instead of loading up with power shots, Groves has always had an excellent jab, Groves needs to box the way he did leading up to the 1st Froch fight.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Have to agree with that Nico, the first Froch fight did Groves a lot more harm than a lot of people realise I think, he drops him and then proceeds to give him an almighty beating especially the sixth round (a round nobody else survives) to seemingly no avail. Psychologically it must be difficult to recover from that, having a fight in the palm of your hand only to have your opponent come storming back resulting in you starting to tire. The stoppage was crap no doubt about that but the writing was seemingly on the wall.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:49 pm

I wouldn't quibble too much with that except to point out the marked difference in his approach in the Froch rematch. He has been less imposing with his jab but again I think its just a confidence thing and this self delusion is indicative of it.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:06 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I wouldn't quibble too much with that except to point out the marked difference in his approach in the Froch rematch. He has been less imposing with his jab but again I think its just a confidence thing and this self delusion is indicative of it.
Yep I also think that due to the sparring between Froch and  Groves, that Froch took the 1st fight a little too lightly and got a huge shock, Froch was a lot more focused the 2nd fight and it showed.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Ah well, Froch should have known better after he got sparked clean out in sparring by GG angel

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down