The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February

+17
glamorganalun
highland_scot
A Simply Mesmeric Try
RDW
jimbopip
Eejit
cakeordeath
BigGee
Stone Motif
Luckless Pedestrian
SRN
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
RiscaGame
munkian
George Carlin
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Empty Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February

Post by George Carlin Tue 23 Feb 2016, 10:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Dragon10                                 Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Glasgo11
Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors
Thursday 25 February 2016
KO 19:05
Rodders Parade

Live on BBC Wales and BBC Alba

Referee: Gary Conway (IRFU, 22nd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Leighton Hodges, Dai Cambourne (WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)
TMO: Paul Adams (WRU)

A. Head to Head

25 Played 25
13 Wins 10
10 Losses 13
2 Draws 2
479 Points 545

B. Form

Glasgow Warriors 29 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons
16th October 2015

Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons
30th November 2014

Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors
20th September 2014

C. Teams
Newport Gwent Dragons 
Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Dragon10
Carl Meyer, Ashton Hewitt, Adam Hughes, Adam Warren, Nick Scott, Angus O'Brien, Sarel Pretorius; Phil Price, Thomas Rhys Thomas (capt), Brok Harris, Cory Hill, Matthew Screech, Nick Crosswell, Nic Cudd, Lewis Evans.

Replacements: Rhys Buckley, Hugh Gustafson, Lloyd Fairbrother, Rynard Landman, James Benjamin, Charlie Davies, Geraint Rhys Jones, Ross Wardle.

Glasgow Warriors
Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Westie10
Peter Murchie; Taqele Naiyaravoro, Glenn Bryce, Alex Dunbar, Rory Hughes; Duncan Weir, Mike Blair; Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Fraser Brown, Sila Puafisi, Greg Peterson, Leone Nakarawa, Rob Harley, Simon Favaro, Josh Strauss (capt).

Replacements: James Malcolm, Gordon Reid, Zander Ferguson, James Eddie, Chris Fusaro, Grayson Hart, Fraser Lyle, Lee Jones.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Feb 2016, 10:31 am

Griff wrote:
jimbopip wrote:I think that's an extremely strong Glasgow side, given that it's a 6Nations weekend. The replacement front row is excellent, there is real pace in the backs ( normally I would say, "Once you get the ball past Meatball." but he was electric against Munster) and the starting back row is one to terrify most opposition.

So, it's either a 5 point win and the charge for a top four spot really kicks on from here  OR the Dragons smother the ball all night long and we come away with nothing and spend the rest of the season scrabbling for a top six spot.  
Its one or the other tomorrow, I can't see it being close for either side.

Because that's all we can possibly do?!  How rude!

That is indeed what you lot do. Not since the days of the Dragons being Glasgow's bogey team (Dragons still hold the head-to-head record) have you actually beaten the Weegies with flair, rather than hiding the ball up a jumper and telling the opposition the ball was stolen and that they can't find it... Whether you mean to or not...

Harsh but fairly accurate.   Whistle

Click here if the video doesn't load
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:
Griff wrote:
jimbopip wrote:I think that's an extremely strong Glasgow side, given that it's a 6Nations weekend. The replacement front row is excellent, there is real pace in the backs ( normally I would say, "Once you get the ball past Meatball." but he was electric against Munster) and the starting back row is one to terrify most opposition.

So, it's either a 5 point win and the charge for a top four spot really kicks on from here  OR the Dragons smother the ball all night long and we come away with nothing and spend the rest of the season scrabbling for a top six spot.  
Its one or the other tomorrow, I can't see it being close for either side.

Because that's all we can possibly do?!  How rude!

That is indeed what you lot do. Not since the days of the Dragons being Glasgow's bogey team (Dragons still hold the head-to-head record) have you actually beaten the Weegies with flair, rather than hiding the ball up a jumper and telling the opposition the ball was stolen and that they can't find it... Whether you mean to or not...

Harsh but fairly accurate.   Whistle

It would be accurate if we had the forwards to do that.  But we haven't.  We've been scoring some good tries this season by getting the ball to exciting backs like Hallam Amos (not playing in this one), Ashton Hewitt, Adam Hughes, et al.  I'm not predicting a win for us by any stretch of the imagination.  It could happen, but I'm not that confident.  But neither do I think that we can only play England 2003-esque rugby either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:32 am

On the point of being your bogey team, yes I agree that we seem to have been that in the past few years (although you've handed us some whoopings too). But that has not always been the case. The reason we still hold the head to head is that, in the early days of the league, we were just much better than you. I'd never expect to lose to Glasgow back in the early 2000s because, well... it was 'just Glasgow'! But you've had an upturn in fortunes, we've got worse or stayed the same and now you're much better than us. So bogey team recently but not so in the past I feel. I just wish a similar turnaround could be done with the Dragons...

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:37 am

Griff wrote:On the point of being your bogey team, yes I agree that we seem to have been that in the past few years (although you've handed us some whoopings too).  But that has not always been the case.  The reason we still hold the head to head is that, in the early days of the league, we were just much better than you.  I'd never expect to lose to Glasgow back in the early 2000s because, well... it was 'just Glasgow'!  But you've had an upturn in fortunes, we've got worse or stayed the same and now you're much better than us.  So bogey team recently but not so in the past I feel.  I just wish a similar turnaround could be done with the Dragons...

Have we ever been much better than anyone?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Griff wrote:On the point of being your bogey team, yes I agree that we seem to have been that in the past few years (although you've handed us some whoopings too).  But that has not always been the case.  The reason we still hold the head to head is that, in the early days of the league, we were just much better than you.  I'd never expect to lose to Glasgow back in the early 2000s because, well... it was 'just Glasgow'!  But you've had an upturn in fortunes, we've got worse or stayed the same and now you're much better than us.  So bogey team recently but not so in the past I feel.  I just wish a similar turnaround could be done with the Dragons...

Have we ever been much better than anyone?

Well, we beat Glasgow at home the first 4 seasons in a row since we were formed.  Not sure how that isn't a sign that we were better than them.  They then beat us at home 2007/08 season (14-20) and the following season, we beat them then following two, we had a draw in 2011, and have been struggling against them since (but a win 2 years ago).  So in the early days I'd say were better, yes. This 'bogey' thing was when we were finishing often much higher than them in the league. 'Bogey team' usually refers to a poorer team that you expect to beat because you're much higher up the league.

Last edited by Griff on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:49 am

Better, perhaps; it was the 'much better' I was getting at.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:58 am

It's hard to quantify much better I suppose, but in those early years we finished:

2003: Us Joint 2nd; Glasgow 11th
2004: Us 4th; Glasgow 6th
2005: Us 8th; Glasgow bottom
2006: Us 9th; Glasgow 7th.

So the early wins were by a team finishing higher up the league. And that's when the fortunes start to turn...

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:02 pm

It is a shame about Newport. I used to live in between Cardiff and Newport before 2003 (Marshfield if anyone knows it). Rodney Parade always had a better atmosphere than CAP (and I remember there being lots of games for a 8-10 year old outside the ground) and I far preferred Newport as a result. Never got the investment to kick on, partly because the WRU claimed to have no money and partly due to poor planning.

Nostalgia aside I don't know what the future holds for Newport, but at the moment they are the gritty underdogs who provide an occasional upset. You are now a bogey side for Glasgow or at least it feels that way from times you have run us close. If you play open against Glasgow, this should be a try fest.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:It is a shame about Newport. I used to live in between Cardiff and Newport before 2003 (Marshfield if anyone knows it). Rodney Parade always had a better atmosphere than CAP (and I remember there being lots of games for a 8-10 year old outside the ground) and I far preferred Newport as a result. Never got the investment to kick on, partly because the WRU claimed to have no money and partly due to poor planning.

Nostalgia aside I don't know what the future holds for Newport, but at the moment they are the gritty underdogs who provide an occasional upset. You are now a bogey side for Glasgow or at least it feels that way from times you have run us close. If you play open against Glasgow, this should be a try fest.

Funnily enough at first I though you were a Dragons fan due to the name (Hazell stand being one of the stands at RP)!  Yes, I know Marshfield quite well.  I played Golf at Peterstone Lakes just a few weeks back which is close and ride the bike there on occasion (because it's pretty flat, whereas Newport is full of big hills!).

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:36 pm

This is true. Glasgow were utterly abysmal in the early years of the Celtic League.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:46 pm

Jings with all the stuff Hazel's had to endure since joining about his chosen name (now Welsh woman rather than Scottish bloke) I reckon we should be looking at alternative arboreal-based names that leaves nothing to doubt.

I for one suggest Red Spruce in honor of a certain Ginger flanker.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

Eejit wrote:Jings with all the stuff Hazel's had to endure since joining about his chosen name (now Welsh woman rather than Scottish bloke) I reckon we should be looking at alternative arboreal-based names that leaves nothing to doubt.

The Hazell in Hazell stand relates to Hazell Haulage (our sponsor/investor/director) rather than a Welsh women's name!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:54 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

This is true. Glasgow were utterly abysmal in the early years of the Celtic League.

Perhaps 'much' better was a stretch, as Luckless pointed out. But our relative trajectories have definitely gone in opposite directions, maybe crossing around 2007 where we were of similar league standings for a year or 2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 25 Feb 2016, 1:58 pm

Griff wrote:
Eejit wrote:Jings with all the stuff Hazel's had to endure since joining about his chosen name (now Welsh woman rather than Scottish bloke) I reckon we should be looking at alternative arboreal-based names that leaves nothing to doubt.

The Hazell in Hazell stand relates to Hazell Haulage (our sponsor/investor/director) rather than a Welsh women's name!

I should clarify that the female part was a reference to Jimbo turning on the (considerable) charm the other day on the Glasgow Munster thread.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 25 Feb 2016, 2:02 pm

I will probably get converted to an Irish leprechaun next  Sad

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

Top O' the morning to yis, Ms O'Sapling.

Griff, I wasn't meaning to be rude, but given the backs we have out feel free to encourage your side to play fast and loose in the wide open spaces. Very Happy

The point I was really trying to make is that this game will turn out to be either a springboard for a charge to the play offs or the beginning of the end of our reign as champions. Given the teams selected the outcome is totally in the hands of one team, if Glasgow play to their ability it's a no contest. However, the Dragons have proved themselves capable of not allowing Glasgow that luxury. (Hope that clears it up)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:08 pm

While Jim continues to dig himself deeper into this hole, can anyone PM me a link for the game?

My VPN plus IPlayer isn't working. I blame Nicola Sturgeon.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm

Look at the state of the pitch!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm

George Carlin wrote:While Jim continues to dig himself deeper into this hole, can anyone PM me a link for the game?

My VPN plus IPlayer isn't working. I blame Nicola Sturgeon.
Anyone? No? Bueller? Bueller?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm

Glasgow's handling has been so poor.

Dragons much the better team!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:28 pm

What was Greg/Geoff/Oscar carded for?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:30 pm

Blocking the player from a kick through bit Glasgow were scrambling back after a break out and any number of players could probably have been carded!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:30 pm

Naka could do with holding onto the ball sometimes!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:32 pm

If D Cameron kept his election promises this would be a 7 a side game.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:34 pm

Jesus, that pitch is a mess.

Making hard work of this so far.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:35 pm

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, 25 February - Page 2 Ztoyj
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:41 pm

Duncan Weir doing an uncanny impression of a cotton bud.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:44 pm

None of the Glasgow players proving Cotter wrong currently!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:46 pm

Uncharacteristic of Murchie. Fraser Brown is going to get himself carded if he doesn't calm down.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:49 pm

Is Gordy Reid wearing a bra? That's some cleavage!
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:50 pm

Good defence Glasgow but they've been desperately poor and have lost the ref

Dragons much better

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:55 pm

Classic DunkyMeatBall drop goal.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:57 pm

To an extent Glasgow have the ref, I think. Missed your 14 taking a man off the ball straight from kick off (he's hard to miss mind) and he bottled a yellow just after warning (I assume) Strauss and gave us minuscule advantage when Angus cross kicked.

Not a bad half. Just need to make any opportunity near the 22 count now. Depends how Lyp uses the bench this week too

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

Alec Dunbar! Yahoo
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

Dunbar!!!

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:28 pm

What a ridiculous decision

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:30 pm

I missed it - what happened?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

Try disallowed for no reason.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

What did the ref say as the reason/

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:34 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What did the ref say as the reason/
Reid was part of the ruck, so would have had to disengage and come in past the last back foot to pick it up.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:35 pm

Player was part of the ruck so out of play, decided to break away from the ruck, pick up the ball and score a try. Illegal according to the ref.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:39 pm

I really don't understand short 22 drop outs - at best you gather it then just end up kicking it away anyway, at worst you give away possession in front of your 22 like what's happened here!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:42 pm

If ever a game was to be described as 'scrappy' this would be it!

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

There's a few moany folk in the crowd tonight - nothing wrong with that try!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:48 pm

The commentary team were unsure RDW. I'd say it was marginal. Very close to forward!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:There's a few moany folk in the crowd tonight - nothing wrong with that try!

The Dave's always a hostile place to go eh.

Tense stuff this.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:53 pm

Well that was sh!t

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:55 pm

Aye, that was a load of baws. Wish I'd gone to the pub instead.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:56 pm

A win's a win is all we can say about that!

4 points and Dunbar coming through unscathed the main positives.

Seen the disallowed try - you see those given!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:57 pm

Dragons robbed - looked forward.

Glasgow naive - need control and hard yards first before you start trying miracle passes. First five minutes of second half aside no proper go forward.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next