The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+43
Good Golly I'm Olly
Mad for Chelsea
Scott is Back
JDizzle
dyrewolfe
Jermaine2015
temporary21
TRUSSMAN66
daraghj82
Born Slippy
Lowlandbrit
nadeem2099
1GrumpyGolfer
Mackem
MIG
President Trump
Marky
LivinginItaly
Holymiky
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Ent
sportform
hornbloweroafc
Azzy
compelling and rich
Mat
hampo17
lfc91
GSC
guildfordbat
westisbest
Stella
dummy_half
Alistair
Breadvan
Geordie
sirfredperry
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
Corporalhumblebucket
NickisBHAFC
Hero
Crimey
47 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 4 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Crimey Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:54 am

First topic message reminder :

This would be a huge day for Leicester if it stays like it is.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 4 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 am

Didn't say it wasn't, but to single out one moment from the weekend is petty and silly.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 4 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:17 am

No different to two weeks ago when the Leicester red card was singled out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:24 am

PaulHv2 wrote:Didn't say it wasn't, but to single out one moment from the weekend is petty and silly.

Don't think singling out the worst piece of cheating this weekend is petty or silly - if there was any justice in football he'd have missed
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:27 am

Lukaku hitting the worst pen of the season for a foul outside of the box was justice. Not that it was Lukaku's fault it was given. As for benteke. Wasn't he clipped?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:32 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not saying the fans cheated, bad wording. But he dived, and we all know how sanctimonious this thread would have got were the boot on the other foot. Crimey is notably quiet.

Been making a curry.

Made my points earlier. I couldn't tell on the stream I was watching, it wasn't exactly HD. Generally the commentators and pundits have said it was a penalty, so it can't have been that crystal clear. He went down easily for sure, but who doesn't? Think the performance, at least following the red card merited something from the game. I can't feel that sorry for Pardew and Crystal Palace, he's an idiot and they've consistently been our bogey team.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:34 am

Stella wrote:Lukaku hitting the worst pen of the season for a foul outside of the box was justice. Not that it was Lukaku's fault it was given. As for benteke. Wasn't he clipped?

Yes he was.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:39 am

A man of his size should be embarrassed going down after such minimal contact.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 am

He's not the first and certainly won't be the last that's for sure. If the defender is stupid enough to make any contact in that situation then he deserve to be punished frankly, it was brainless defending.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:51 am

I think this is exactly the point Dolph was making, there's no point defending blatant cheating but to be expected when it's Liverpool.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 am

Who's defending it exactly? Haven't seen anyone defend it. My point was why single it out when things like that happen every single game, you could probably count over ten incidents in the Palace vs Liverpool game where players went down through minimal contact.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:55 am

This is so good. You've come on and proved my point.

One, we actually are because our fans crucify divers, and the mass debates had when Jarvis refused to go down at Arsenal last year prove that. Two, I do not think diving appalling but I know you would have gone mental for anyone else. To me, there's exaggerating contact, making the most of a foul to get a pen and there's diving. It was a dive.

Instead of saying "it's not on, it happens but he should be ashamed" you've gone full on defensive and then on the attack to others.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:00 am

Dolph I've not defended it, and said at the time it was a dive as I honestly thought it was. Quite a poor one actually, on second viewing there is contact which he goes on to exaggerate. Should the penalty have been given, honestly...no.

To me a dive is going down with absolutely no contact, so in this situation it wasn't a dive. Simply making the most of what contact was presented to him by poor defending.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 am

This sort of thing happens every weekend in football.
One of the reasons I don't watch the game as much anymore.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:21 am

The difference is this was ridiculous, and in the box to win a last minute penalty. And the contact is due to him leaving his leg to get it. 

If you come in getting annoyed it's mentioned then say "it happens all the time" you are defending it.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:23 am

It's stating the obvious rather than defending it, and if you're going to get annoyed over players doing everything they can to win then you'll be annoyed a lot.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:24 am

Not defending it, just saying it happens a lot.
Not good to see, but it's the way the game is played now.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 am

39 points for the mighty Albion now. Say what you like about Pulis, and I've been critical at times this year, but he gets the job done. And we're starting to play a bit of football as well, let the good times roll

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 am

Mat wrote:39 points for the mighty Albion now. Say what you like about Pulis, and I've been critical at times this year, but he gets the job done. And we're starting to play a bit of football as well, let the good times roll

Look what happens when you play a full back at full back instead of a centre half eh Mat - almost cried for WBA fans when I saw James Chester at LB ffs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:54 am

PaulHv2 wrote:It's stating the obvious rather than defending it, and if you're going to get annoyed over players doing everything they can to win then you'll be annoyed a lot.

Sorry but you've defended it the whole time. Even now. It's been an argument the whole time. Not even a sign of me being right, it was a Poopie was to win. 

Just. So. Liverpool.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:04 am

Olly wrote:
Mat wrote:39 points for the mighty Albion now. Say what you like about Pulis, and I've been critical at times this year, but he gets the job done. And we're starting to play a bit of football as well, let the good times roll

Look what happens when you play a full back at full back instead of a centre half eh Mat - almost cried for WBA fans when I saw James Chester at LB ffs

tbf Brunt usually plays there, we missed him as he provides the width if it's Gardner playing out there. Dawson did well at full back for a centre half btw, best attacking threat in the first half...

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:It's stating the obvious rather than defending it, and if you're going to get annoyed over players doing everything they can to win then you'll be annoyed a lot.

Sorry but you've defended it the whole time. Even now. It's been an argument the whole time. Not even a sign of me being right, it was a Poopie was to win. 

Just. So. Liverpool.

What does that even mean? Other than your weird hatred (which probably goes hand in hand with your love of Manchester United)

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:21 pm

The defender clipped Benteke, who went down easily. What's the big deal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:11 pm

We were bloody lucky to get three points on Sunday. Looked bad at 1-0 with 10 men against a team we haven't been able to handle for three seasons but that being said, it's dreadfully stupid defending (I should know, I've watched Moreno do the same stupid thing with face tearing regularity all season). When I watched it I thought it was a pen, then I saw the slo-mo and thought there was no contact then saw the second slo-mo from another angle and saw the defender's knee clip Benteke's foot.

Yes, it was a soft penalty and a bloke who four days earlier was wrestling with Vincent Kompany and giving as good as he got shouldn't be going down after that but as stated numerous times, it's an unsavoury part of the modern game like shirt pulling, holding in the box, dissent towards officials etc etc etc.

Would I have been aggrieved if it had gone against Liverpool? Yes. Would I have blamed the defender for making the challenge? Yes. Am I glad we got lucky in a game we had not right winning? Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:16 pm

DAVE667 wrote:We were bloody lucky to get three points on Sunday. Looked bad at 1-0 with 10 men against a team we haven't been able to handle for three seasons but that being said, it's dreadfully stupid defending (I should know, I've watched Moreno do the same stupid thing with face tearing regularity all season). When I watched it I thought it was a pen, then I saw the slo-mo and thought there was no contact then saw the second slo-mo from another angle and saw the defender's knee clip Benteke's foot.

Yes, it was a soft penalty and a bloke who four days earlier was wrestling with Vincent Kompany and giving as good as he got shouldn't be going down after that but as stated numerous times, it's an unsavoury part of the modern game like shirt pulling, holding in the box, dissent towards officials etc etc etc.

Would I have been aggrieved if it had gone against Liverpool? Yes. Would I have blamed the defender for making the challenge? Yes. Am I glad we got lucky in a game we had not right winning? Yes.

THANK YOU DAVE. That is all it needed really, some self-awareness

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Crimey wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Just. So. Liverpool.

What does that even mean? Other than your weird hatred (which probably goes hand in hand with your love of Manchester United)

This is why I dislike Liverpool. The chant "always the victims, its never your fault" has stayed around in an age where fans are less and less comfortable making jokes about tragic events because it relates to so much.

And if you don't know what I mean, yet HH came in and saw exactly how all the nonsense was proving my point, it only goes to illustrate it more.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:30 am

So in your mind, a United fan who was no doubt bitter following his own teams result coming, onto the board and agreeing with you on a point that reflects negatively on Liverpool, somehow validates your point? Interesting stuff.

The thing that really gets me is the absolute certainty with which you are speaking in regards to whether it should/shouldn't have been a penalty. Two paid officials, various pundits and fans (not just of liverpool) think it should have been a penalty. Ok in your opinion it wasn't. That's fine. But in many peoples opinions it was a penalty. That is also fine. It definately isn't as cut and dry as you want to make it seem. Although as you have just admitted to disliking Liverpool, your opinion must be viewed with the same attached bias as a United supporters view on Liverpool or vice versa.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:28 am

If my ten year old threw himself to the floor from the tiniest of clips like that I'd be telling him to man up after the game, though unfortunately it's common practice in the sport now for all clubs, certainly not unique to Liverpool.

I get though somewhat to Dolph's reference to the mentality of the fans though but I don't think it's exclusive to Liverpool, I'd throw it just as much at fans of my own club Utd, I think it's more so to the siege mentality (than victim based) that SAF built (and before him Shankly and Paisley at Liverpool) that everyone hates us but we don't care. I think the only time when Liverpool fans perhaps overstepped into 'victim' territory was during the whole Suarez/Evra incident.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:42 am

If that was a penalty then I'm a dutchman. I've no problem with folk calling that cheating. I did at the time.

Yours sincerely, a Liverpool fan. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:08 am

lfc91 wrote:So in your mind, a United fan who was no doubt bitter following his own teams result coming, onto the board and agreeing with you on a point that reflects negatively on Liverpool, somehow validates your point? Interesting stuff.

The thing that really gets me is the absolute certainty with which you are speaking in regards to whether it should/shouldn't have been a penalty. Two paid officials, various pundits and fans (not just of liverpool) think it should have been a penalty. Ok in your opinion it wasn't. That's fine. But in many peoples opinions it was a penalty. That is also fine. It definately isn't as cut and dry as you want to make it seem. Although as you have just admitted to disliking Liverpool, your opinion must be viewed with the same attached bias as a United supporters view on Liverpool or vice versa.

Its just so weak again. Still defending it! Its someone elses fault, we must be ganging up on Liverpool...

And no, I generally am not biased on this stuff. I have explained my position on diving, but my annoyance right now isnt at the point itself, but the sheer manner of which it has been justified. Freeky and Dave have it right, thats the attitude of a normal fan without blinkers.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:13 am

Actually I Was merely pointing out the varying opinions on the matter and how it is not as cut and dry as a biased fan (such as yourself) would try to make it seem. Point seems to have went straight over your head though, in hindsight I maybe should have started by explaining what an opinion is..

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:29 am

FreekShow wrote:If that was a penalty then I'm a dutchman. I've no problem with folk calling that cheating. I did at the time.

Yours sincerely, a Liverpool fan. Very Happy

Freek the voice of reason as always - how the devil goes it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:56 am

Not everybody is as principled about diving as you Dolph to be fair. 

I have no problem with Benteke going down there, he was caught and had it been at the other end, Crystal Palace's player would have done the same. It's frustrating when it happens to you and I'll still be annoyed when it does happen, but I think hypocrisy is part and parcel of footballing fandom.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:33 am

lfc91 wrote:Actually I Was merely pointing out the varying opinions on the matter and how it is not as cut and dry as a biased fan (such as yourself) would try to make it seem. Point seems to have went straight over your head though, in hindsight I maybe should have started by explaining what an opinion is..

Liverpool fans, gotta wade through the sh*t just to get a normal human opinion. 

Again excuses Crimey. I've even said I'm not that principled, but I'd admit it was a bit sh*t. Instead it's argument, justifying or attacking other's opinions.

It's never your fault, it's never your fault...

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:51 am

The only one here I've actually seen attacking other peoples opinions (or just failing to understand them) is you, Dolph. You have spoken very definitively on the whole issue without showing showing the ability to recognise the different opinions on the matter. Any time anyone hasn't agreed it was a dive or cheating or both, you have disregard their opinion as "typical Liverpool fan" or some other nonsense along those lines. No point attempting to discuss anything with a man such as you, as your debating style is akin to a kid in a playground who sticks his fingers in his ears and shouts his viewpoint louder and louder thinking that makes him right...

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:53 am

Not on this matter, its not a debate. He flopped for the pen

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:05 am

Ashley Young spent the early part of his United career leaping and twisting higher than Beth Tweddle with a rocket up her backside. The vast majority of his dives would have been disgusting if they hadn't been so pathetically hilarious.

Benteke went over easily but he WAS touched, however slightly. Little Ashley flew in the air in defiance of logic, reason and, above all, physics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:01 am

If that amount of contact is enough for a penalty we might aswell give up and just make it a non contact sports. It wouldn't of knocked a 7 year old over let alone Benteke.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 am

DAVE667 wrote:Ashley Young spent the early part of his United career leaping and twisting higher than Beth Tweddle with a rocket up her backside. The vast majority of his dives would have been disgusting if they hadn't been so pathetically hilarious.

Benteke went over easily but he WAS touched, however slightly. Little Ashley flew in the air in defiance of logic, reason and, above all, physics.

Don't disagree SERIAL, and I don't think Benteke going down was a crime, not sure I blame him, but it was cheating to win.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 am

Regardless, we go again!

Newcastle expected to sack McClaren within 48 hours

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 am

Pretty telling, that as a board member, he should of been at today's meeting with the other directors, so hopefully a sign he's on his way out. Totally inept at managing this club. Who replaces him, I'd go with Pearson, will rattle some cages in that dressing room & he saved Leicester last season. Don't like the man, but as a short term fix, looks the best candidate. Moyes, Rodgers & Rafa are big names, who I doubt will want to take a risk on us & face being associated with a possible relegation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not on this matter, its not a debate. He flopped for the pen

I think it was a penalty.

Signed, someone who isn't overly fond of Liverpool.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:10 am

never a pen for me, big bug bear of mine this nonsense spouted by many "experts" that contact means its a pen. the contact needs to impead the player for it to be a foul, a slight touch and the player throwing himself on the ground is not a foul.

yet time and time again they spout the "he's touched him so its a pen". if i put my little finger on a shoulder and the player throws himself down is that a pen then? i think refs need to be getting tougher, any player over egging a challenge give nothing, only give a pen in those 100% certain moments. not sure how much contact then dont give it. it will lead to a few genuine pens being missed but if it encourages the players to stay up more then im all for it. watching football these days (certainly in Europe) is often simply who cons the ref the best. barca have made it a art form

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:54 am

Linesman who gave the "penalty" not assigned a game this week.........
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:02 am

rightly so, he guessed it was a pen. no way he could be 100% certain

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:25 am

John wrote:Never a penalty

Stand by it. Agree with Compelling too, just because he's been touched, does not categorically mean it's a penalty. Surprised by Carragher claiming it was penalty, but then I'm not, because it was Liverpool. Linesman not assigned this week, tells you everything about what his superiors thought about the decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 am

I also maintain that Carragher and Henry are two atrocious pundits, the former is well out of his depth without G Nev even then he was only half adequate because of the 'banter'.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:45 am

Henry takes about fifteen years to say nothing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:05 am

Premier League clubs have agreed plans to cap away tickets at £30 for the next three seasons.

The cost of watching football has been a hot topic of debate, with supporters at Liverpool organising a high-profile protest over proposed increases in season ticket prices.

Now the top flight's 20 clubs have "unanimously agreed" that more should be done to help away fans.

The £30 away ticket cap will be introduced from next season.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:21 am

Best thing the Premier League has done for fans since it invented itself. I have always resented paying £55 to see Albion get beat 4-0 at Stamford Bridge, and get spat on, verbally abused and physically assaulted by their fans after the game.

I'd pay £30 for it though.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:24 am

I suspect clubs might be postponing their price freezes on home tickets now though.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next