The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing

+64
BamBam
Gooseberry
RDSguru
Marshes
aucklandlaurie
profitius
dummy_half
Sgt_Pooly
Scarpia
Geordie
Shifty
Rugby Fan
Cyril
HammerofThunor
PenfroPete
Heaf
Seagultaf
Exiledinborders
RiscaGame
kingelderfield
pheonix
rainbow-warrior
The Great Aukster
quinsforever
mikey_dragon
geoff999rugby
exile jack
wolfball
Steffan
Hoonercat
Hammersmith harrier
bumble
LordDowlais
Duty281
GunsGerms
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
No 7&1/2
TightHEAD
Blueschief
Mad for Chelsea
No9
Poorfour
Fanster
wrfc1980
Jimpy
Comfort
damage_13
bluestonevedder
doctor_grey
Barney McGrew did it
lostinwales
rozakthegoon
Ozzy3213
Cardiff Dave
LondonTiger
TJ
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
GLove39
Notch
Knowsit17
yappysnap
Allty
68 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing - Page 2 Empty Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing

Post by Allty Wed 23 Mar 2016, 7:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

From BBC

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35887510

Allty

Back to top Go down

Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing - Page 2 Empty Re: Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm

Ridiculous decision, the matter was handled in the correct way but now World Rugby is deciding to carry it on for no good reason.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing - Page 2 Empty Re: Marler to Face World Rugby Hearing

Post by Comfort Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

whats Knowsit said. entirely agree. clap

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:32 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Ridiculous decision, the matter was handled in the correct way but now World Rugby is deciding to carry it on for no good reason.

Utter rubbish. Who were the panel that decided it then? This is only time in living memory that there were no named officials dealing with this case. How convenient. 6N and RFU have decided to sweep a racist abuse incident under the carpet. And the likes of you are in denial.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:32 pm

Here we go again, time for a select few luvvies to take offence on someone else's behalf.

This is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. Wales lost to England in the 6N, that's what this is REALLY all about.

Get over it.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

Jimpy wrote:Wales lost to England in the 6N, that's what this is REALLY all about.

Seriously, you need to grow up. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

Jimpy wrote:Here we go again, time for a select few luvvies to take offence on someone else's behalf.

This is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. Wales lost to England in the 6N, that's what this is REALLY all about.

Get over it.

Are "World Rugby" Welsh then?

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:37 pm

bumble wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Ridiculous decision, the matter was handled in the correct way but now World Rugby is deciding to carry it on for no good reason.

Utter rubbish. Who were the panel that decided it then? This is only time in living memory that there were no named officials dealing with this case. How convenient. 6N and RFU have decided to sweep a racist abuse incident under the carpet. And the likes of you are in denial.

The likes of me?

It's the overtly offended who are the issue here, taking offence to something that is nothing to do with them but using it as a means to cause argument because they have nothing better to do.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

It's the overtly offended who are the issue here, taking offence to something that is nothing to do with them but using it as a means to cause argument because they have nothing better to do.

No. It's not. It's the people trying to sweep racist abuse under the carpet.

I was offended by the holocaust. I'm not Jewish.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

Likewise Comfort, I was about to agree with yours. It's against the rules for good reason and 6N's categorically didn't exercise their mandate of discouraging this behaviour for future occasions.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:42 pm

bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

Don't forget the WUMing Trolls returning under new forum identities....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:44 pm

bumble wrote:
bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

yay, finally I can invoke Godwin's Law and request this thread be shut down as it has reached the end.

More seriously by effectively comparing Marler's actions with the holocaust you have gone to such absurd levels that the bigots who feel it is ok to racially abuse people feel justified.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Why is this still going on?

Surely this is just World Rugby Bowing to WRU pressure.

If the 6ns board considers that their is nothing to answer for, why this now?

And surely if Samson Lee ( belives the Gypsy boy statement by Joe Marler) was said as "BANTER"  I just do not see why this is still going on.

There, fixed that for ya......

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

Its PC gone mad I'm still struggling to work out which word 'Gypsy' or 'boy' is offensive? The PC brigade cause far more problems than they solve by taking offense at all and sundry. It causes resentment in society. This faux outrage needs to end and people need to grow a pair. The worst of it is that the guy that Marler said it to is not offended in anyway and sees it as banter.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm

bumble wrote:
bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

WUM Troll exposed for what he is.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm

bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

You're entitled to your opinion but I think that's way off. I myself don't have any personal or emotional investment in this debate. Nor am I trying to take offence on Lee's behalf. I'm simply arguing for how I want to see the sport run and I'd rather controversies such as this be discouraged. A way of discouraging is taking action. Action that shows there is no place in the sport for the behaviour concerned. The 6N's failed in this regard.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:48 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Its PC gone mad I'm still struggling to work out which word 'Gypsy' or 'boy' is offensive? The PC brigade cause far more problems than they solve by taking offense at all and sundry. It causes resentment in society. This faux outrage needs to end and people need to grow a pair. The worst of it is that the guy that Marler said it to is not offended in anyway and sees it as banter.

Plus, he is a Gypsy.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:49 pm

Sad to see racism condoned in this thread. Really sad.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Its PC gone mad I'm still struggling to work out which word 'Gypsy' or 'boy' is offensive? The PC brigade cause far more problems than they solve by taking offense at all and sundry. It causes resentment in society. This faux outrage needs to end and people need to grow a pair. The worst of it is that the guy that Marler said it to is not offended in anyway and sees it as banter.

You may need to rewatch the game and see how he reacted at the time. Lee was most definitely offended and angered. Marler knew what he had done was wrong thus the half time apology - whether that should have been the end of the matter is open for debate. Frankly 6Ns did handle it badly, and as stated earlier Marler should have been given a commissioners citing - so a rap over the knuckles.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm

bumble wrote:
bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

Are you or do you know anyone from the travelling community? I do and can categorically say that they are not offended by this, the only person who can or should take offence is Samson Lee and he did not.

Your final comment sums up your idiocy really.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

bumble wrote:
bumble wrote:

The likes of me?

Are you or do you know anyone from the travelling community? I do and can categorically say that they are not offended by this, the only person who can or should take offence is Samson Lee and he did not.

Your final comment sums up your idiocy really.

Of course he took offence.

Not that it is relevant in anyway shape or form of course.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:54 pm

I direct Hammersmith to my previous post as he also believes Lee was not offended.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:55 pm

Guardian: "World Rugby acted because if the proper process had not been gone through, it had the power to order the Six Nations to make a full independent inquiry as the tournament organiser responsible for upholding the regulations of the game. In the event of a refusal by the Six Nations, it could convene its own hearing, which it has done with a date set to be fixed next week."

So did 6N refuse to conduct it's own hearing?

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm

Samson Lee was offended and angered by Marler's abuse. However he realised that Marler was making a genuine apology and showing real remorse.

The question is not whether offence was caused, nor whether it is against the laws of the game - it was and it is.

The question is whether an apology should be the end of the matter. This discussion then brings in the loons from both sides, as we see on this thread.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:58 pm

The guardian writers are a bunch of wishy washy lefty's with no backbone. A terrible source to turn to.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:01 pm

Sounds like the argument of a Daily Mail reader.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:02 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The question is whether an apology should be the end of the matter. This discussion then brings in the loons from both sides, as we see on this thread.

What I don't understand is how people can accept that apologising and having an apology accepted for a punch or a kick or whatever doesn't mean the person still shouldn't face the music. We even all accept that a sincerely given and accepted apology for an incident that was completely accidental such as a tip-tackle that went beyond the horizontal or a collision in the air doesn't absolve anyone.

It's weird to see the double standards at play.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

It's just name-calling, grow the hell up.

And Samson Lee was not offended, he chose to be offended.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:05 pm

Duty281 wrote:It's just name-calling, grow the hell up.

Is this a real opinion? I think I must be dreaming. There is no way that's a serious post.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

You may need to rewatch the game and see how he reacted at the time. Lee was most definitely offended and angered. Marler knew what he had done was wrong thus the half time apology - whether that should have been the end of the matter is open for debate. Frankly 6Ns did handle it badly, and as stated earlier Marler should have been given a commissioners citing - so a rap over the knuckles.

With a wooden 12" rule? Ah that takes me back. Not allowed anymore unfortunately.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:08 pm

bumble wrote:

Is this a real opinion? I think I must be dreaming. There is no way that's a serious post.

Yep, a real opinion. Name-calling is for children, and the only people bothered by it are children.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:11 pm

Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Yep, a real opinion. Name-calling is for children, and the only people bothered by it are children.

Lost for words.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:11 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Samson Lee was offended and angered by Marler's abuse. However he realised that Marler was making a genuine apology and showing real remorse.

The question is not whether offence was caused, nor whether it is against the laws of the game - it was and it is.

The question is whether an apology should be the end of the matter. This discussion then brings in the loons from both sides, as we see on this thread.

Well said LT and well done for having the flexibility to admit when a player you support is in the wrong. That's become an exceptionally rare quality judging by this article and others before it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:13 pm

bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

Well pop back when you're able to debate, there's a good chap. thumbsup

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by bumble Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

I'll pass if that's ok.

bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

Nice, mature argument. You're setting a great example.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:16 pm

bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

I'll pass if that's ok.

As you wish. I am deeply sorry that you seem to hold contempt for opinions that differ to your own.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:17 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

I'm not here to set any form of example. I'm here to give my opinion.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

And what a sublime way of expressing said opinion.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:19 pm

Wheres the call Lee's fellow welsh player to be banned etc etc who called him a gypsy and hinted that he had a 'bad smell' when first coming into the squad?

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

Sounds like you might be a little bit racist. Each to their own.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:And what a sublime way of expressing said opinion.

It was, wasn't it? Two lines, concise, neatly put.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:22 pm

Is Rob Evans going to be hauled in front of the rugby committee to for this remark about his team mate? http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-prop-rob-evans-jokes-11005553

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:22 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

There's no such thing as 'race'.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

Not surprising that this incident isn't over...

Firstly I think those overtly offended have a bit of an agenda, of course, and some comments here will of course be extreme and childish.

Secondly, not many people are considering the context of the incident, which is why I had an issue initially.

Marler isn't a child on the street talking to his friends, he isn't even in a bar with Lee and other rugby pro's, and he certainly isn't playing national division 7a regional weast (where we've all heard much worse), he is a fully professional athlete, competing in front of 80k, and viewed by millions, he's a role model, and thus chilrdren aspire to be him. This name calling is inappropriate at best, and for that I expected a short ban originally.

Just as an aside, as a Welsh fan who currently coaches in Scotland I have been called 'gypsy boy' one 3 occasions since, twice by juniors who had to be reprimanded by myself, and once by a parent in a joking sense, I took no offence whatsoever, and found it funny, but if parents aren't mature enough to not do it in front of children, how can children not be expected to repeat everything pro players say?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:26 pm

Comfort wrote:the difference between 'welsh boy' and 'gypsy boy' is thus:

Wales is a country, of which numerous races of people can call home and be welsh. (e.g. there are white welsh people, black welsh people, gypsy welsh people, muslim welsh people, see where im going with this...?)

Gypsys are a race of people, they dont have a country/territory, so you can be a gypsy and still be welsh. Racisim and xenophobia are different things entirely, that concept shouldnt be hard to comprehend.

Unfortunately this situation wasnt handled correctly at the first time of asking (as per the laws of the game/the law in general, any racial slurs are illegal in the UK and in the laws of rugby), hence it has been reviewed by World Rugby. The level of offence the insult causes has no relevance to it being against the rules of the game.

I understand Samson Lee doesnt want it to be a big deal, Gatland even came out on his behalf to try and play it down, it doesnt matter though as Marler broke the rules of the game, thus the incident needs to be looked at again. Personally i think its a mess, but one that needs to be dealt with so we can all close the lid on it and move on with a precedant set.

No racism as defined by law includes discrimination against someone based on where they are from too. Their nationality, culture etc. Jeremy Clarkson can attest to this.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:26 pm

Duty281 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

Evidently fairly ignorant too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:29 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
bumble wrote:

Lost for words.

Evidently fairly ignorant too.

OK, define 'race' for me. What makes 'races' of people different from each other?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:31 pm

I think you need to educate yourself as to exactly what constitutes racism in the country you live in rather than making a fool of yourself online. Your definition or my definition of race is completely irrelevant.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:33 pm

This should not be overlooked... heat of the game, maybe. Applogised, credit due, but should never have said it, as an International, he's a figurehead and needs to act to the highest level of professionalism always...

So, best outcome, as I see it is..

1. Marler to get 12 month ban. Ban needs to reflect seriousness and he should miss the 6 Nations, ie 12 month ban (miss next year).

2. Eddie Jones should be punished for his lack of discipline and not dealing with this in the appropriate manner. He should serve a 6 month ban, hence, not be available to take England on summer tour. Plus, his knighthood should be put back on the back burner.

3. RFU, should be punished for letting this get out of hand... Most suitable punishment is deduct 5 points (1 try) from the game the offence took place in.... End result would thus be Eng 20 - 21 Wal. This would also compensate WRU for the severe upset they have experienced during this horrible matter, by removing Englands Grand Slam and awarding Wales as 2016 6 Nations Champions.

I think the above will resolve the matter and put it to bed for good...

...:

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:35 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Comfort wrote:the difference between 'welsh boy' and 'gypsy boy' is thus:

Wales is a country, of which numerous races of people can call home and be welsh. (e.g. there are white welsh people, black welsh people, gypsy welsh people, muslim welsh people, see where im going with this...?)

Gypsys are a race of people, they dont have a country/territory, so you can be a gypsy and still be welsh. Racisim and xenophobia are different things entirely, that concept shouldnt be hard to comprehend.

Unfortunately this situation wasnt handled correctly at the first time of asking (as per the laws of the game/the law in general, any racial slurs are illegal in the UK and in the laws of rugby), hence it has been reviewed by World Rugby. The level of offence the insult causes has no relevance to it being against the rules of the game.

I understand Samson Lee doesnt want it to be a big deal, Gatland even came out on his behalf to try and play it down, it doesnt matter though as Marler broke the rules of the game, thus the incident needs to be looked at again. Personally i think its a mess, but one that needs to be dealt with so we can all close the lid on it and move on with a precedant set.

No racism as defined by law includes discrimination against someone based on where they are from too. Their nationality, culture etc. Jeremy Clarkson can attest to this.

Very true, yet the chances of a similar media frenzy for being called Welsh/Scottish/English boy are pretty much non existent. Is this because the PC Brigade see gypsies as a lesser race? Why do they feel it is more derogatory to be called gypsy boy than Welsh, Scottish or English boy?

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next