The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight?

+8
wheelchair1991
Atila
jimdig
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
Baby faced assassin
12 posters

Go down

Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight? Empty Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight?

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 09 Apr 2016, 4:53 pm

I get that this fight isn't one that people want, like it's been done and we know that Manny is just flat out better than Bradley.........but this IS going to be his last fight and no one cares

The mayweather fight really has seemed to tarnish his name to the point that even the American audience have given up on the former Superstar

The homophobic slur has also been a huge setback for the Pacquiao name and it seems like a lot of fans have a short memory.

Yes I think Pacquiao was wrong with his comments and yes I was let down by his performance against Floyd, but he was a MEGA MEGA star, the way he just seemed to slay through elite fighters and bigger and bigger fighters, it's something we may never see again and he is one of the best of all time......and it seems sad that in his last fight no one seems to care

The sport is going to miss Manny and hoped he had a better send off then this, anyone else agree or has the last year also meant that you also no longer care about manny?
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight? Empty Re: Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

I think it is the fact he's fighting a guy he's beat twice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight? Empty Re: Has Mannys star fallen so much no one cares he's having his last fight?

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 6:22 pm

Agree with Truss. Bradley looked good against Rios under Atlas....but that was Rios.

I'm expecting Pacquiao to go out with a bang. He has had less attention which could have benefited him.

Pacquiao KO 11

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 6:33 pm

I'm extremely excited about this fight

Last chance to see one of the all time greats

Certainly one of the best of my email so far

It's a great card and a really good fight

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 09 Apr 2016, 7:24 pm

It's billed as a decider but we all know it's already 2-0. So, just an underwhelming sign-off. Better than Berto though!

Agree with boxingfan88 though, manny is definitely one of the best of his emails.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 7:37 pm

Era stupid autocorrect

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 09 Apr 2016, 10:58 pm

I'd expect the fight to tank as a ppv stateside. As stated there was no clamour for this fight. If he had fought literally any other of the top 5 welter's, boxing fans would have been all over this.

But also I think this forums interest in boxing has greatly diminished also. No one interested in the AJ fight card either.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:05 pm

Frampo v Quigg excited a lot of folk..and sucked.

A bit of a hangover maybe...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm

I doubt it's Manny's last fight. If he looks good and defeats Bradley there's going to be some who would buy into the idea that there should be another fight with Floyd, also maybe a fight against Canelo.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm

I think truss is right boxing fans are hard to het excited after being let down in recent times by the quality of hyped fights

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:22 am

No one cares. He won the first fight (115-112 on my card) despite the bizarre verdict and then the second, which was scored sensibly. No one cares about a third fight between these two. It's a 'decider' in name only.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:04 am

Manny...what a fighter he was and maybe still is.

Will be sorely missed when he hangs them up.

The performances against Cotto, Dela Hoya and Hatton were sublime.

In my opinion, the most exciting fighter of his era and his popularity the world over, considering he is a filipino, is testament to his all action style and engaging personality.

My fave fighter after Tyson...how i would have loved to have seen him take the '0' from Floyd

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:52 am

What a performance

Bradley tried to win rounds by staying outside as soon as he jumped in Pacquiao either hurt him or dropped him

Hope he retires while at the top nothing left to prove

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm

37 he's still got it, say what you want about bradley he's a very good fighter but he didn't stand a chance, pacquiao was electric

I agree he should leave now he's got his political responsibilities don't want him being beaten by some young guy who has a fraction of the talent he's got

Superb fighter and will sorely be missed, seriously don't think any fighter will be able to entertain the way pacquiao did in the ring
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:24 pm

Pacquiao is a legend. The second best of the era hands down. One of the most exciting too.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

Hate to go against the grain, but he won't be missed by me. Only fight I ever wanted him to win was against Hatton. Pacquiao just wasn't a fighter that I took to.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:24 pm

Good closer if that is indeed the end of him.

Mainly just shows up the decision of that first fight even more so. Since the robbery Pacquiao has shown beyond doubt he is a far more exciting and generally better fighter than Bradley's ever likely to be.

Sadly what will stick out about Manny's career for me is the non-fight against Mayweather. I know they met eventually but his star had already waned somewhat after the Bradley result and getting flattened by Marquez. If they'd fought circa 2008-09 when they first agreed it could have accurately been billed as a legendary fight.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:57 pm

I think Pacquiao would of beat Floyd then.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:19 pm

AdamT wrote:I think Pacquiao would of beat Floyd then.
I don't, but it's an old argument that I can't be bothered to get into again. Very Happy

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:30 pm

I think he would of won the first fight. Floyd takes the next two.

Similar to Ali/Frazier and Leonard/Duran

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:32 pm

AdamT wrote:I think Pacquiao would of beat Floyd then.

Pacquiao would certainly have caused him endless problems and i can't help but feel that if a 34 year old De La Hoya could dominate the first half of his fight against Mayweather before running out of gas, what would a prime Manny, circa 2009-10 have done to him.

As has been mentioned though, this subject has been done to death.

Thought Manny fought a good fight last night but the lightning flurries which he displayed in his pomp seem to be beyond him now.

He looked more than a couple of steps slower than in his prime and although the hand speed was still too much for Bradley, he is nowhere near as fast as he was.

Bradley fought a smart fight in the first few rounds and had he been able to stick to his game plan, i feel he could have made it a very close fight.

As it was, Pacquiao drew him into a bit of a slug fest and there was only going to be one winner when that happened.

As an aside, i think Teddy Atlas was lucky not to get a slapped wrist for repeatedly keeping his fighter in the corner too long between rounds.

He really needs to try and keep a grip on his emotions as he continually bounded into the ring after the rounds finished and man handled Bradley back to the corner.

On this form, i think Manny beats all the other welters, if you stand in front of him, he will still slap you silly.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm

Good post. I still think Pacquiao can beat any welter out there. Perhaps Brook would be the hardest match up. He might not be able to throw endless combinations, but he seems to use more iq and preserve energy better.

Still has decent power and lightning quick. Even though I've always been a fan of Floyd's ability, deep down I knew Pacquiao could be the man to take that 0. Both great fighters and I personally will miss both them box.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:40 pm

All irrelevant...Personally I see Starling beating Manny and Breland beating Floyd for what it is worth...Styles and all..

Will say Manny has been a wonderful fighter and bona fide great...

Whatever we think about his "diet"..

Innocent until proven guilty...Top 15/20.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

Yes definitely top 20. Floyd deserves top ten. Happy if someone has him top 20, but not top 30-40, as some suggest.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:45 pm

Our good friend Strongy had Eusebio Pedrosa above Floyd..

Wonder how he's getting on...Apparently he turned down a spot on Dragon's Den..

Didn't want to sit with losers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:53 pm

When Bradley was moving in the first few rounds, Manny struggled to cut off the ring and was unable to land anything of note.

As soon as Bradley abandoned his game plan and started to sit down on his punches, he played into Manny's hands and got caught repeatedly.

It would take a very good fighter to beat Manny, even at this stage of his career.

An exceptional counter puncher with quick feet who can keep out of range has the best chance - that profile doesn't fit any of the current welter champions, so think Manny would still be too much for the other belt holders.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:56 pm

I think strong had Floyd top 50 or there about. Steve Collins was more likely higher.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:57 pm

I think Manny would beat Kell, but it's a dangerous fight for him, this stage of his career.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

B.A. BARACUS wrote:When Bradley was moving in the first few rounds, Manny struggled to cut off the ring and was unable to land anything of note.

As soon as Bradley abandoned his game plan and started to sit down on his punches, he played into Manny's hands and got caught repeatedly.

It would take a very good fighter to beat Manny, even at this stage of his career.

An exceptional counter puncher with quick feet who can keep out of range has the best chance -  that profile doesn't fit any of the current welter champions, so think Manny would still be too much for the other belt holders.  

So did Bradley though, that's the problem Bradley had to change the pattern of what was happening, once Manny stepped it up, he couldn't live with him

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:11 pm

I gave Bradley the first 3 rounds, Manny started slow.

For some reason Bradley just cannot help getting all gung-ho against Pacqiaou and he paid the price.

He pretty much admitted it himself after the fight and it probably explains why atlas was so hot under the collar in the corner.

In my opinion if bradley was more disciplined it could have been a lot closer.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:33 pm

Manny should retire...Gone out on a decent win..

Nothing left to prove..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:35 pm

Yep. He won't get Floyd again. It's a new era of Welters. He doesn't need them. I think he will fight on for money. He gives away/spends too much.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:38 pm

Then again I think Floyd should have him over for a month feed him cheesecake and bollinger till he reaches 180 and then tell him by the way our rematch is in 4 weeks time !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:40 pm

Floyd will fight Canelo in September at 155.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down