The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Ireland, 18 June

+39
mikey_dragon
Artful_Dodger
Marshes
RugbyScribbler
englandglory4ever
asoreleftshoulder
clivemcl
kingraf
RDW
BigGee
alfie
theslosty
stub
Rugby Fan
trebellbobaggins
profitius
Kingshu
toml
lostinwales
Sin é
thebandwagonsociety
LondonTiger
aucklandlaurie
the-goon
Hazel Sapling
marty2086
carpet baboon
Pot Hale
Rory_Gallagher
Golden
eirebilly
Gooseberry
rapidsnowman
SecretFly
Notch
fa0019
Pete330v2
rodders
George Carlin
43 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Empty South Africa v Ireland, 18 June

Post by George Carlin Mon 13 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Sa10        South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Irelan10
SOUTH AFRICA IRELAND
18 June 2016
17:00 SAST (UTC+02)
Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg 

Live on Sky Sports

Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

23 Played 23
16 Won 6
1 Drawn 1
6 Lost 16
442 Points 303

B. Recent Form 

11 June 2016 - DHL Newlands, Cape Town: 20-26 to Ireland

8 November 2014 - Aviva Stadium, Dublin: 29 – 15 to Ireland 

10 November 2012 - Aviva Stadium, Dublin: 12 – 16 to South Africa 

6 November 2010 - Aviva Stadium, Dublin: 21 – 23 to South Africa 

28 November 2009 - Croke Park, Dublin: 15 – 10 to Ireland 

11 November 2006 - Lansdowne Road, Dublin: 32 – 15 to Ireland 

13 November 2004 - Lansdowne Road, Dublin: 17 – 12 to Ireland 

19 June 2004 - Newlands, Cape Town: 26 – 17 to South Africa 

C. Teams

SOUTH AFRICA 
South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Spring10

[*]

IRELAND
South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Leprec10
J Payne; A Trimble, R Henshaw, S Olding, C Gilroy; P Jackson, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, T Furlong; D Toner, Q Roux; I Henderson, R Ruddock, J Heaslip.

Replacements: R Strauss, D Kilcoyne, F Bealham, D Ryan, S Reidy, K Marmion, I Madigan, T O'Halloran.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Empty Re: South Africa v Ireland, 18 June

Post by Golden Fri 17 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Well, I love the old coot as a character - the players will be entertained by him anyway - he plays that grumpy granddad role well  - just hope he gives value for money on training.

I've heard of him being mentioned in this role before.  Can anyone remember any of the sides he was linked to? - AP sides I seem to remember.

Did the SRU get in Wayne Smith or someone like that for a few weeks?

Had a good laugh at the Irish Times report from Cumiskey who couldn't resist having a few digs at Munster. He claimed that Penney left Munster because Munster didn't want to renew Simon Mannix's contract (which isn't true as Penney did commit to a 1 year contract extension).

Leo is going to survive with Leinster - he is a wily old fox. Graham Henry is just a PR exercise. Very Happy

Its not to favourable to Munster alright.

"Only Foley and scrum coach Jerry Flannery were retained following the appointment of Rassie Erasmus as director of rugby. Erasmus will oversee team selection and all on-field coaching, primarily attack, while fellow South African Jacques Nienaber was hand-picked to tighten the Munster defence.
Foley remains the head coach in name but his responsibilities have been curtailed to coaching lineout and breakdown."

Is that true? Massive demotion if it is. Im surprised Foley stayed on with such a reduced role.

Golden

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Ireland, 18 June - Page 3 Empty Re: South Africa v Ireland, 18 June

Post by SecretFly Fri 17 Jun 2016, 1:04 pm

Foley should have walked away from that insult.  Well it is one.  You can't bury your head in the sand and re-classify it to something positive.

I'd walk away or I'd insist the title of Head Coach was handed to someone else.  It's bad enough being demoted without being patronised with the shell of a Title.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 17 Jun 2016, 3:55 pm

Golden wrote:
Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Well, I love the old coot as a character - the players will be entertained by him anyway - he plays that grumpy granddad role well  - just hope he gives value for money on training.

I've heard of him being mentioned in this role before.  Can anyone remember any of the sides he was linked to? - AP sides I seem to remember.

Did the SRU get in Wayne Smith or someone like that for a few weeks?

Had a good laugh at the Irish Times report from Cumiskey who couldn't resist having a few digs at Munster. He claimed that Penney left Munster because Munster didn't want to renew Simon Mannix's contract (which isn't true as Penney did commit to a 1 year contract extension).

Leo is going to survive with Leinster - he is a wily old fox. Graham Henry is just a PR exercise. Very Happy

Its not to favourable to Munster alright.

"Only Foley and scrum coach Jerry Flannery were retained following the appointment of Rassie Erasmus as director of rugby. Erasmus will oversee team selection and all on-field coaching, primarily attack, while fellow South African Jacques Nienaber was hand-picked to tighten the Munster defence.
Foley remains the head coach in name but his responsibilities have been curtailed to coaching lineout and breakdown."

Is that true? Massive demotion if it is. Im surprised Foley stayed on with such a reduced role.

Its Gavin Cumiskey's interpretation of what Foley is! Gavin Cumiskey (ex-Blackrock College) is there to provide 'balance' to the Irish Times coverage. He clearly hasn't a clue about anything in Munster as he was surprised recently to discover that Munster had two training centres Very Happy

His comment about Rob Penney is also incorrect. Penney had agreed a 1 year extension on his contract and while Munster did not want to extend Simon Mannix's contract, that is not the reason Penney left (for the record it was the money in Japan).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 17 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

Well do you know what is included in Foleys remit?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm

marty2086 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Golden wrote:Just thought I'd drop it in here as this is where all the traffic is. 

Graham Henry is working with Leinster as a coaching consultant. Should be great for Leo and Girve.

From.... a year ago or from next season? ....by post, express mail, e-mail, facebook or twitter?

I'm suspicious of Graham - I think he must be earning a lot of loot doing armchair consultant from his own home for teams all over the world.  He gets sent the weekly videos - he gives a few wisecracks about the idiot at 15 and collects the fee.

Is he going to be resident in Ireland?

Hes doing a review of last season and will be in Dublin in August for a few weeks to observe training etc and will give feedback on training and tactics

Sure the only attacking tactic Leinster have had for the past 2 seasons is to give the ball to Teo and hope he creates something now he's gone...seems like a waste of a consultancy fee to me.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:06 pm

The best thing about the Gerry Thornley parody twitter account when it was still around was his constant disparaging of Cummiskey as Le Petit.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:11 pm

The age old Irish tactic of employing somebody you know (or are related to) for a job they aren't qualified for, then hire an external consultant to do it for them when they balls it up..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:14 pm

Its not been a good week for rugby people called Foley

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:17 pm

rodders wrote:

Sure the only attacking tactic Leinster have had for the past 2 seasons is to give the ball to Teo and hope he creates something now he's gone...seems like a waste of a consultancy fee to me.
Yeah, it was embarrassing being top of the League this year with all the killer run/spurt/dodge/weave/offload sides that electrified the competition this year. Cool

I was ashamed. Hopefully, Graham will now advance our detail and give us more complex attacking strategies "Give the ball to Rob". Rob will be re-invented. Watch this space.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:20 pm

I sincerely hope 'give the ball to Rob' is a tactic Leinster utilize as much as possible Smile.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:32 pm

Give the ball to Rob or give the ball to Robbie?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:36 pm

It'll be no more "Isa, Isa" from the stands. It'll be replaced by "Give it to Rob, Give it to Rob".

Laugh now - cry next season. I have the inside lingo on this one. The Return of Maximus Decimus.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:49 pm

Golden wrote:Well do you know what is included in Foleys remit?

Foley's coaching role is breakdown & Lineout (extra responsibility for lineout from Mick O'Driscoll). He always coached the breakdown.
Erasmus's coaching role is attack (replacing Brian Walsh)
Felix Jones is a technical coach (covering some of Ian Costelloe's remit of skills coach)
Nienaber is Defence Coach (replacing Costelloe)
Jerry Flannery is Scrum Coach (same as was). Rob Penney was scrum coach before him. Flannery also coaches age grades.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Fri 17 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

I think it's key that Ireland get fired up and start well tomorrow. They need to gain parity in the collisions and build from there. If they lose the collisions (like the arg game) then it could be tough.
I think the changes by Joe are very smart, not only does it introduce an element of competition for places and freshness, hopefully the fellas who come in will add to the hunger of the team as they haven got a win of their own yet

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:25 pm

I've read some people suggest on other sites, that they think Joe is resting players with his aim being to win the 3rd test and use this for experience, I think this couldn't be further from the truth.

It makes sense to rotate the squad so that the players not involved in what would have been the very tiring 1st test get to come in fresh, in what will be another tiring game and make full use of the squad.

The beast was dominating scrums even when CJ Stander was on, Ross not being a young pup is best saved for the 3rd test, and use Roux's bulk to tighten up the tightend side of the scrum with Henderson.

Give starts to fresh players very close to the 1st team, Gilroy and Olding start O'Halloran on bench

Healy unlucky to lose out, but I think starting him instead of Trimble would have been too many changes and not enough experience in the backs, and bench spot is already taken

Reddan, well its better to have Marmion,

its fantastic to see that we can have injuries and rotate so many players in and still feel like we could beat South Africa away.

I don't think there has even been a time in Irish rugby where we have had such depth. Normally if one or two people are not fit we only hold a hope of beating SA.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:33 pm

BJ Bothas thoughts

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time”– Confucius

I used a quotation by Confucius to describe the enormous achievement of Irish Rugby in coming out on top in Cape Town.

It was always going to be a tight affair with the Irish side having a point to prove, sending a young but exciting side out to face a completely new Springbok outfit with little experience left over from the 2015 RWC.

The bookies had written off the Irish side, and had actually anticipated a win by a margin in excess of 15 points. I was, however, more skeptical than the rather sombre mood that embraced the Irish media, and believe that the issues off the field played a big part in preparing for the first Test.

Appointments such as Head Coach and Captain are of the utmost importance for moving forward, especially in a relatively young and inexperienced Bok side. That being said, one cannot take away the enormity of this occasion for the Irish players and supporters, as it has not been an easy run in with a disappointing Six Nations campaign and early World Cup exit.

However, this weekend will be an entirely different affair.

Ellis Park is a special place to play but daunting for any opposing team. The Irish will have a lot more to deal with and will find it tough to prepare for; namely the altitude, the crowd and fortress of Ellis Park.

I have been carefully following the South African media, with some calling their performance in Cape Town “the worst in the history of South African rugby”.

There were some who claimed that the defeat to Ireland was worse than that which was suffered at the hands of Japan.

I, however, view this a little bit differently, and believe as set out earlier, that the Irish side that went over to South Africa was a lot better than people gave them credit for, and they were extremely well coached. I was also slightly more optimistic about the South African team and their performance.

I saw glimpses of good things to come.

The Springboks work at the breakdown in the first 40 minutes, as well as the speed at which they were able to get ball out of the loose phases, was extremely encouraging for them, and at times it appeared that they were building a combination or two of something really good coming off.

I accept that the combinations may not have come off in the First Test, but many of these players were playing together for the first time.

The Irish side on the other hand will unfortunately be missing Irish player of the year, CJ Stander, whose presence will definitely be missed this weekend.

This weekend’s rugby promises to be another mouthwatering occasion to witness a wounded Springbok side looking to bounce back in
a venue that is a cauldron, and if Ireland are to win the Test Series, it is going to take a far stronger performance than the one on display in Cape Town

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

Herself is a wonderful woman, stocking the fridge with beer as I type this.

Really looking forward to this game. Its been a while since I have been excited about the selections and balance of an Irish team (last week excluded).
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 18 Jun 2016, 1:58 pm

eirebilly wrote:Herself is a wonderful woman, stocking the fridge with beer as I type this.

Really looking forward to this game. Its been a while since I have been excited about the selections and balance of an Irish team (last week excluded).

Fair play to you eirebilly. You have her well trained. thumbsup

Yeah I'm looking forward to it too. I think Olding's selection could be a masterstroke. Marshall was very good last week but Olding brings an x factor and a bit of unpredictability. It might be a sign that Schmidt wants to (finally) play a more expansive game. The team is a gamble but I've been calling out for more risk taking from Schmidt so I'm satisifed.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 2:05 pm

The selection last week could have been seen as forced (I certainly think it was forced) but may have opened Schmidt's eyes a bit there prof. This is not a forced selection and is very balanced and I cant be more happy to see Gilroy and Olding given a chance against SA.

It shows an approach from Schmidt that I have also been wanting for some time.

Going to watch the soccer now and wait for the game to start thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

Good luck Ireland. Rooting for you.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 3:56 pm

Good man yourself there trebs but I don't want you supporting us... You know what I mean Wink thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:00 pm

That's fair Billy. I shall say nothing. Got told off by someone who took me seriously earlier, I forget there are those who don't know my particular brand of idiocy so I shall simply wish you guys the best and enjoy the rugby.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:08 pm

Ha trebs, I saw that. Get a pint into you and enjoy Englands series win thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:10 pm

Thanks Billy.  I've finished me cycling (trying to keep my ageing body fit) so shall be settling down to enjoy the game and indeed enjoying a beer (whilst doing a bit of electronics messing about for work that I want to catch up on).

Cheers mate Very Happy

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:24 pm

Ruddock is having a great game so far.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:33 pm

12-3 ahead. Surely Ireland need to play the joker and get the match called over now. Or am I thinking of a different game?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

Who believes?

I believe. G'wan the TMO here...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:39 pm

Fantastic Ireland! There's a way to go but so far so very good!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:39 pm

Fantastic from Jackson, Trimble and Payne for that Irish try.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:40 pm

Difference between the two sides is the halfbacks
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:41 pm

Some ingenious play from the Irish winger there clap

Ireland strolling this ...ssh Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:46 pm

Come on lads, more of the same in the second half!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:47 pm

South Africa booed off at half time. Some of them will have to emigrate if it goes on like this!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:47 pm

You hear the crowd on the Springboks back here. Ireland putting all the pressure on the Boks, our back three and halfbacks just controlling the territory and then when they do get in our half every breakdown is slow, the balls getting ripped...

This is almost exactly what we did to them in 2014.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:47 pm

Payne again has been excellent from 15 but Ruddock has been the best player for me. He has been everywhere and constantly breaking the gainline. Henderson has also been excellent at getting across the gainline.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:51 pm

Wow this is awesome.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think England and Ireland might well be the top two in the 6N for the next couple of years. Both seem to be on the up and finding talent. With France struggling to sort themselves out and Wales maybe the other side of the slope I think it is possible.

Scotland may disagree but it's hard to know with them not touring one of the best sides.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:54 pm

Really happy with the scrum as well. The commentator said it at the time but SA looked bemused at Irelands scrimmaging power.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:55 pm

All that said, I expect the Boks to come out on fire in the second half, they are the team with everything to lose here. That could be good for Ireland if the game opens up.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:03 pm

Well done to Sean Reidy winning his first cap. He's come a long, long way in the last two years.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:04 pm

eirebilly wrote:All that said, I expect the Boks to come out on fire in the second half, they are the team with everything to lose here. That could be good for Ireland if the game opens up.

They've certainly come out on fire ! Think Ireland did well to stop that attack.

Could be a lively few minutes here...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:08 pm

Ireland snuffed it out in style. At the moment they are just flat out better.

Be interesting to see how SA go in the RC, we haven't seen the SH dominance outside of NZ at all (though Aussie will be keen to reassert it next week now they are a wounded wallaby).

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

South African crowd on the verge of rioting at their team's scrum performance.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

Irelands scrum, take a bow. What an effort!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:13 pm

Indeed : has been quite a turnaround from the World Cup ...

NZ still the ones to beat though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm

Oops. Costly missed tackle...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:20 pm

I have no idea why La Roux is booed all the time. He is such a balanced runner and all attacking play from the Boks has come through him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

What strength from Heaslip and Jackson converts clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

This is a stuffing at the moment, complete Irish dominance.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

Quick reply from Ireland clap

Back out to sixteen points...all action at the moment...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:31 pm

All these tries ...I'm wondering if I'm watching a highlights reel Smile

Still fancy Ireland to close this out with an eleven point lead ; but SA aren't going to die wondering...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next