The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 12 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep - 22:03

First topic message reminder :

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 12 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by ralphjohn69 Mon 10 Sep - 6:56

McLaren wrote:Didn't I say somewhere Matty Fitz was worth a pick?

Maybe you did, but he wasn't, win or no win today.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 12 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Sep - 16:30

I think Fitz will be the next big English player. Still very young, 5 tour wins, just needs that next step, hopefully next year.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Sep - 17:06

McLaren wrote:Didn't I say somewhere Matty Fitz was worth a pick?

Good job Bjorn doesn't pick on irrelevant criteria eh Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Sep - 18:01

Fitz is the real deal. Too bad for him this year wasn’t great (until recently) and too bad his resurgence came a bit late in terms of RC qualification.

It doesn’t bother me he won’t be on the team, mainly because I don’t think he has shown he’s RC material. 2016 was a very poor showing and he still seems a bit wet behind the ears.

But maybe Europe should consider to have a Horschel rule anyway?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep - 21:35

Paul Casey WDs from BMW Championship with back pain.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 10 Sep - 21:51

GPB wrote:Paul Casey WDs from BMW Championship with back pain.

Here we go!

RCB on standby? Personally I'd have Pieters in the team, re-establish his winning combo with Rory.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 11 Sep - 9:15

raycastleunited wrote:
GPB wrote:Paul Casey WDs from BMW Championship with back pain.

Here we go!

RCB on standby? Personally I'd have Pieters in the team, re-establish his winning combo with Rory.

Maybe Bjorn will call an audible like Seve did in 1997 and make Casey prove he is fit to play. OLE

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 11 Sep - 20:37

Hard to look past Fitz if Casey is to be replaced.
But I’d also prefer to see Pieters (if he got a new putter?).

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 11 Sep - 21:03

I’d have Fitz at 3 on my list of standbys, RCB 1 and Pieters 2. Can’t quite shake the feeling that Fitz is another Manassero.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Sep - 21:25

Ned

Why would you think pishy pants is going to be another Manassero?  Matty has 5 wins, two of which via play offs, by the age of 24.  This would usually be a sign of a top players, and although Manassero had 4 by a young age his career progression, or lack of, since then is an excpetion.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 11 Sep - 22:39

Fitz (like Sullivan) was a deer in the headlights at Hazeltine; good for him that he's recovered (unlike Sullivan) but I'd like to see him a bit more battle-hardened before sending him to war again.

I agree with Ned, RCB then Pieters.

Though have been v.impressed with Wallace recently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 11 Sep - 23:24

Mac, both Fitz and Manassero had strong amateur careers and success in Europe at a young age after turning pro early. Both are small guys who are short hitters by modern standards. Both have got their wins predominantly on courses that suit their old style, shotmaking game. Both had good promising results in majors as amateurs and have struggled to reproduce those as high ranking pros.

Hopefully I’m wrong on both counts, Fitz goes on to be an elite player and Matteo resurrects his career. But there’s clearly similarities.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Sep - 1:55

NedB-H wrote:Mac, both Fitz and Manassero had strong amateur careers and success in Europe at a young age after turning pro early. Both are small guys who are short hitters by modern standards. Both have got their wins predominantly on courses that suit their old style, shotmaking game. Both had good promising results in majors as amateurs and have struggled to reproduce those as high ranking pros.

Hopefully I’m wrong on both counts, Fitz goes on to be an elite player and Matteo resurrects his career. But there’s clearly similarities.

Tend to agree with this. Although he won in Dubai on a bit of a bombers course - maybe that is a confusing outlier.

But mainly I agree with Kwini's point that Fitz found the Ryder Cup too tough last time. Some rookies relish the atmosphere, Fitz looked like a lost little boy playing against men. I think Bjorn needs more evidence that there won't be a repeat.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 2:15

I must be missing what all the fuss is about RCB. 34 so hardly a spring chicken, 3 wins spread over a long career. A good pro, nice swing, decent career, nothing special.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Sep - 3:55

Digs,
Rafa has had a very good year and enjoyed a fine Ryder Cup last time out 2 1/2 points from 3 matches, and should have played more.
He ranks in the Top 25 on the PGA Tour in Driving Accuracy, Total Driving, Greens in Regulation, Ball Striking and scoring average. Plus he's in good nick right now.

You'd like to see more wins/contention for titles but you could say that about most of 'em.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 4:22

I’m not saying he’s not a good player and he’s had a good year, but that’s also true of a lot of them. His problem is he’s a very ropey putter and isn’t a finisher. As you say though, did well at the last RC.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 12 Sep - 5:53

RCB is ok and probably at the top of TB’s shortlist. The problem is that noone is really knocking on the door.

Fitz has had two good weeks. Came up a few shots short in Denmark and won in Switzerland. So you have to consider him. But if he gets picked they’ll try to hide him anyway, so why bother. And personally I still think he’s too wet behind the ears.

Pieters firing on all cylinders would be my first chioce. The problem is he’s only firing on one or two. But he did well last time and is 100% RC material.

Then you’re back at RCB. Only 2nd drawer material, but good all around player with the occasional sniff at top results. Plus he did well last time. So he would be the safe pick of these three. But maybe that’s not what we need, as I’m sure TB would try to hide him as well.

So why not just gamble a bit and go with Pieters? If he does well on day one, good, he’ll clearly be an asset, otherwise hide him as well.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 12 Sep - 7:01

How many players can Bjorn put on the bench?

He is already going to have Hatton, Sergio, Poulter and Olesen riding the pine.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 7:09

Other than his RC (a few days of his golfing life when a kid) cant see why Fitz should get grief. I’m with Mac on this one, surely 5 wins at 24 speaks far more about his mettle than a few RC matches in a team that didn’t do that great. Look at last week, he could have gone into his shell after a poor front 9, instead he manned up. Looked like a seasoned pro and winner, not a wet behind the ears rookie.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Sep - 20:40

pedro wrote:RCB is ok and probably at the top of TB’s shortlist. The problem is that noone is really knocking on the door.

Fitz has had two good weeks. Came up a few shots short in Denmark and won in Switzerland. So you have to consider him. But if he gets picked they’ll try to hide him anyway, so why bother. And personally I still think he’s too wet behind the ears.

Pieters firing on all cylinders would be my first chioce. The problem is he’s only firing on one or two. But he did well last time and is 100% RC material.

Then you’re back at RCB. Only 2nd drawer material, but good all around player with the occasional sniff at top results. Plus he did well last time. So he would be the safe pick of these three. But maybe that’s not what we need, as I’m sure TB would try to hide him as well.

So why not just gamble a bit and go with Pieters? If he does well on day one, good, he’ll clearly be an asset, otherwise hide him as well.

Can you please send this to Bjorn

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 13 Sep - 1:15

Just in case(y)..,

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Sep - 3:16

GPB wrote:How many players can Bjorn put on the bench?

What do you base that on? I would expect Bjorn to have each player having 3 matches each minimum after learning from the mistakes of Darren Clarke. Do you really think Poulter, the best Ryder Cup player on either team is going to be spending most of the time on the bench?

If anyone should be on a bench it should be Rev Gerry Watson, Tiger Moobs and Fat Phil.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 13 Sep - 18:24

You dont bench Phil, he has one of the best cup records of the last 3 events on both sides.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Thu 13 Sep - 22:38

You bench Phil because he's nearly 50 (hasn't got the stamina for 5 games), and has been in poor form over the last six months.
What have the previous three RCs got to do with how he'll play in 2018?
Unless he plays woefully on Friday morning, Tiger will play 4 or 5 games.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 14 Sep - 1:04

super_realist wrote:

What do you base that on? I would expect Bjorn to have each player having 3 matches each minimum after learning from the mistakes of Darren Clarke. Do you really think Poulter, the best Ryder Cup player on either team is going to be spending most of the time on the bench?

If anyone should be on a bench it should be Rev Gerry Watson, Tiger Moobs and Fat Phil.

I see you are your usual ADULT self. Good onya Mate! Never change. I will never after to rent "Mean Girls" from Netflix as long as you continue post.

Poulter is over-rated. He played like a mutt at Gleneagles, and other than 5 holes in 2012 he really didn't play well. His opponents didn't play well. In Match play, its not always how you play, but also how your opponents play. (and your partner).

I suspect Poulter RC2018 is going to be similar to Westwood RC2016.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 14 Sep - 1:28

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I see you are your usual ADULT self.  Good onya Mate! Never change.  I will never after to rent "Mean Girls" from Netflix as long as you continue post.

Poulter is over-rated.  He played like a mutt at Gleneagles, and other than 5 holes in 2012 he really didn't play well.  His opponents didn't play well.  In Match play, its not always how you play, but also how your opponents play.  (and your partner).

I suspect Poulter RC2018 is going to be similar to Westwood RC2016.

Agree with all your points, except for the last one.

Poulter has been decent this season. Granted he hasn't made it to the Tour Championship, but he's shown enough quality to be there on merit rather than being a mate of the captain.

And isn't it amazing how he didn't play well in 2012 (apart from 5 holes) yet still managed 4 points?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 14 Sep - 1:58

raycastleunited wrote:

And isn't it amazing how he didn't play well in 2012 (apart from 5 holes) yet still managed 4 points?

Repeating:

In Match play, its not always how you play, but also how your opponents play. (and your partner).

=============

In 2012, his opponents did not play well. IIRC, Matching scorecards, he would have only beat two Americans in the singles match. He happened to play one of them, Webb Simpson.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Sep - 3:38

GPB wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Repeating:

In Match play, its not always how you play, but also how your opponents play.  (and your partner).

=============

In 2012, his opponents did not play well.  IIRC, Matching scorecards, he would have only beat two Americans in the singles match.  He happened to play one of them, Webb Simpson.

You're a fine one to talk about people being dour GPB, you're the one who can't accept even the slightest bit of criticism of America and Americans.
How do you explain how virtually all of the Americans in the Ryder Cup in the last 20 years have losing records? Are they over-rated? Did their opponents just play better on the day, did their partners let them down?

You can't have a go at Poulter and give those reasons for his wins and not realise your double standards in excusing America for their poor record.

How did Poulter only play well for 5 holes in 2012? Also, how utterly stupid to try to use a strokeplay card to decide how he'd do against someone else (or how they'd play against him). What a truly idiotic comparison that could only come from someone clutching at straws. As if a match would play out the same with a different opponent. That simply demonstrates how you don't understand matchplay in the slightest.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 14 Sep - 3:50

I mailed a document to a Tax office in Austin Texas last week and it was signed for by "S.Garcia".
I wonder . . . . Sergio does have a home there . . . .

But he'll be on the road next week, with him and Olesen getting a warm-up in Portugal.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 14 Sep - 3:55

Numbers, stats etc etc. Let’s say 10 years is quite a long time (long enough in any relevant sporting context). In the 5 RC cups from 2008 onwards Europe have won 3, USA 2. However over the 5 matches USA (I think) has won a few more points, so I’m struggling to think that the USA players records over that period can mathematically be much worse than their European counterparts. Would seem odd.
Not sure Poulter is overrated, plenty think he’s pretty mediocre, he is though most definitely overtalked about, which is testimony to his excellent and relentless self promotion. So well done Ian.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 14 Sep - 7:41

USA has sucked for 25 years in the Ryder Cup...hence most Americans have losing records. Pretty strong correlation.

In the FEDEX era, we are 2-3, two of those defeats were 1 pt defeats. One was the Miracle at Medinah and the other was in a quagmire in Wales

We were soundly defeated in Scotland, and both of USA wins were big wins.

Back in post RC presser of 2014, as much criticism as Mickelson got, it got the PGAofA to release some of the control of the USA RC team. IMO, it will go down a paradigm moment in USA Ryder Cup history.

I'll repeat. Match is not only how a player plays, it is about how his opponent plays. Poulter's opponents did not play that well in 2012. Don't forget, Poulter did not win a match in 2014.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Sep - 17:28

GPB wrote:USA has sucked for 25 years in the Ryder Cup...hence most Americans have losing records.  Pretty strong correlation.

In the FEDEX era, we are 2-3, two of those defeats were 1 pt defeats.  One was the Miracle at Medinah and the other was in a quagmire in Wales

We were soundly defeated in Scotland, and both of USA wins were big wins.

Back in post RC presser of 2014, as much criticism as Mickelson got, it got the PGAofA to release some of the control of the USA RC team.  IMO, it will go down a paradigm moment in USA Ryder Cup history.

I'll repeat.  Match is not only how a player plays, it is about how his opponent plays.  Poulter's opponents did not play that well in 2012.  Don't forget, Poulter did not win a match in 2014.

You keep repeating that tautology as if it's a revealing fact or an insight into why America keep losing. You're blaming the American team for their defeats and not the fact that Europe played well, how predictable.

I understand your repetitive claim that it matters how the other player plays, but it can't always be like that. The American team are "always better on paper". So statistically it can't be the case that they "have sucked at Ryder Cup for the last 25 years" Why can't you just say that Europe have played better as a team, their pairings have been better and that they performed better when it mattered?

Why are you bringing the FEDEX into this?

I understand Poulter didn't play well in 2014. I've never pretended that he did and no one else has. You don't seem to understand that Americans can play well and still get beaten. Sometimes you've just been outplayed and it isn't always down to America "sucking at Ryder Cup". This was the case at Celtic Manor and at Medinah. You got battered at Gleneagles, despite many of your players playing well, and you pumped us the last time with some great performances notably Reed and Rizla Johnson. Notice I'm not making excuses that "we sucked at the last Ryder Cup" America played very well, and for the sake of the competition, they had to.

Come on GPB, how about giving credit where it's due for a change. If someone as "over-rated" as Poulter can be the best Ryder Cup player of the last 20 years, why can't Americans "who are superior in every golfing way" to Poulter just play better?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Fri 14 Sep - 23:03

GPB:
To sustain your argument about Poulter in 2012, you need to prove that his opponents played badly. What were their scores? How did those scores compare against other Americans' scores? How did Poulter's scores compare against those of his own teammates?
I guess you'll argue that coincidentally he also had weak opponents at Valhalla in '08? That Matt Kuchar was the weakest American player at Celtic Manor?
There is also an old maxim that states you only play as well as your opponent allows you to play. Poulter, like Seve, is hard to play against.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 14 Sep - 23:43

Medinah 2012

Rose/Poulter played Woods/Stricker in Session 1, Foursomes. Woods/Stricker was +3, Euro won 2 & 1

Rose/Poulter played Watson/Simpson in Session 3, Foursomes. Watson/Simpson was +2, Euro won 1 Up

Certainly not stellar golf.

=============

In the Session 4 Four Ball.

Dustin/Dufner was 7 under, Euro wins 1 up.

In the Singles against Simpson, Poults was 2 under, Simpson was Even.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep - 0:21

Other Scores

Session 1 (foursome)

Bradley Mickelson were -4
Furyk/Snedeker were -1
Dufner/Zach were -2

Session 3 Foursome

Bradley/Mickelson were -6 (12 holes)
Dufner/Zach were -1
Furyk/Sneds were -3

Session 4 Fourball

Dustin/Kuch were -6
Watson/Simpson were -8 after 14 hole (Won 5&4)
Woods/Stricker were -7

===========

Not that I would recommend matching scorecards, but if we did, Rose/Poulter would have lost their Foursome match against any of the other three US teams playing that session.

and probably Poults/Rory would have lost against Watson/Simpson in the fourball match, halved against Sticker/Woods and won against Dustin/Kuch

In the Singles match, Poulter would have probably won against Kuch, Sneds, Zach (as well as Simpson). And lost against Mickelson, Bradley, Dufner, DJ. and halved against the other 4 players.

Again that is matching sccorecards, and just not really a proper practice.

But I will maintain that Rose/Poulter got the luck of the draw in the foursomes matches, playing American teams that were OVER par while the other 3 US teams were under par in those sessions..

I am getting my info here

https://www.golfchannel.com/tours/pga-tour/2012/ryder-cup/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 15 Sep - 0:32

Don't want to interfere with this debate, but actual cumulative scores in matchplay are not necessarily a guide to the strokeplay performance. Way too many variables to consider, which are not reflected on any scorecard.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep - 0:53

kwinigolfer wrote:Don't want to interfere with this debate, but actual cumulative scores in matchplay are not necessarily a guide to the strokeplay performance. Way too many variables to consider, which are not reflected on any scorecard.

Which is why I said I would not recommend matching scorecards. But Seve76 made an inquiry and I obliged.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 15 Sep - 3:06

I’m in a very strange position watching the RC. By and large I want the Brits to win their matches, particularly historically Luke, Lee, Rose and Rory. I can’t apply that to Poulter (or Casey anymore).
After that it’s really which golfer I prefer, not whether they are Europeans or Americans. I can’t stand Garcia, least favourite player really, don’t like Rahm at all, do like Stenson. Like quite a few of the Yanks: BDC, Fowler, DJ, Woods, Phil, Brooks. Don’t like Watson really. Ambivalent to Spieth and Thomas.
All in all I’d like the Brits to do well but Poulter to get stuffed, I’d probably marginally favour an American win just to pee off Suoer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep - 3:43

By and large I want the Brits to win their matches, particularly historically Luke, Lee, Rose and Rory.

I am only asking because I am always confused about what is what and who is who in the UK.

Is Rory a Brit?

One of the arguments I have seen against calling it the "British Open" is because it has been (and will be ) played in Northern Ireland.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 15 Sep - 4:13

Rory is borderline really, if he’s NI he’s a Brit, but I think he’d rather be Irish but treads a fine political line to not upset anyone. Either way I like him so I’d be pulling for him to win.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 15 Sep - 4:25

Yup, He's a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, whether he likes it or not.
And Portrush is also in that same UK, and that's where The Open Championship will be played.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Sep - 17:13

GPB wrote:Medinah 2012

Rose/Poulter played Woods/Stricker in Session 1, Foursomes.  Woods/Stricker was +3, Euro won 2 & 1

Rose/Poulter played Watson/Simpson in Session 3, Foursomes.  Watson/Simpson was +2, Euro won 1 Up

Certainly not stellar golf.

=============

In the Session 4 Four Ball.

Dustin/Dufner was 7 under, Euro wins 1 up.

In the Singles against Simpson, Poults was 2 under, Simpson was Even.

Hilarious. I'm sure we could do the reverse for American wins too.
You just can't give a team credit for winning can you?
The whole point is why can't these Americans play better than "over-rated" players like Poulter. Has he just had "luck of the draw" on his way to having the best Ryder Cup record in recent Ryder Cup history?

Maybe Hamilton won the F1 race at the weekend because everyone else had a bad day, Maybe France won the World Cup because Croatia didn't turn up, maybe Osaka won the US Open because Spoiled Brat Serena didn't play well?  Yeah right, winners never play well do they?

Also, you seem to be forgetting that a score doesn't always tell the whole story. Have you never had a good score but played poorly or a very bad score but struck the ball great?  Every golfer has, just looking at a score doesn't tell you everything about how a player has played.

Sometimes a score of -2 is very good, and just because someone else in the team happens to shoot -7, you haven't considered things like favourable bounces, chip ins, generous concessions due to the other player being out of the hole,   holing  huge putts etc which aren't really a result of "playing well".
Also, how about because it's matchplay someone might be going for things more, perhaps they've gone for it a bit off the tee or to a tight par 5 in 2 and ended up having to play a second ball.  There's also the very obvious seemingly average score when an opponent is out of the hole. If your opponent can't do better than a bogey, you're not going to risk a birdie. What if you're opponent is having a bad day and you know that just playing within yourself will be enough to beat them and there's no need to take risks or get out of your rythym?
Anyone who looks at a scorecard and thinks it represents how they've played in matchplay, is a moron. You haven't considered any of those points. You've just looked at a score and assumed it means they've played poorly. All it shows is how little you actually know about golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 15 Sep - 21:18

Though apparently England reaching a World Cup semi was just luck of the draw...

Last edited by Diggers on Sun 16 Sep - 2:39; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep - 23:59

Super:

I made the claim that Poulter didn't play that well at Medinah and I was asked to show some proof of that by Seve76.

Point 1:  You only quoted my one post about match scores, not the other.  I wonder why

Point 2.  In that other post, I cautioned about matching scorecards.

I watched the 2012 RC Matches.  I remember Rose/Poulter not playing well and getting lucky that Woods/Stricker and Watson/Simpson were playing even worse.  I don't have the matches on DVR to give you specific examples.

I am going to ignore your "other sports" arguments.  For one thing, I don't know anything about F1 and Soccer, and for another thing, I am not going to defend Serena's boorish behavior for any reason.

Lastly, those examples are completely "STRAWMAN ARGUMENTS".  Stick with what I say, not what happens in other sports.  I don't care and its not relevant.

Again, I remember Poulter not playing well in Medinah, other than those last 5 holes on Saturday, and I gave some evidence of my memories.  And Yes, I am the very aware of the vagaries of Match play, bad bounces, etc.  And Yes, I realize you play YOUR Opponent and not other players in match play.  But the medal scores do confirm my recollection of Rose/Poulter not playing well.

Do you not agree that in Match play  (as a generic statement) that it is not always how you play, it is also about how your opponent plays?  

Also pointed out (which apparently you ignored)

GPB wrote:Not that I would recommend matching scorecards, but if we did, Rose/Poulter would have lost their Foursome match against any of the other three US teams playing that session.

IMO, the aura and luster around Poulter in RC has become really dim.  I expect he is going to have a "Westwood at Hazeltine - esque" Ryder Cup in Paris.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Sep - 17:04

GPB wrote:Super:

I made the claim that Poulter didn't play that well at Medinah and I was asked to show some proof of that by Seve76.

Point 1:  You only quoted my one post about match scores, not the other.  I wonder why

Point 2.  In that other post, I cautioned about matching scorecards.

I watched the 2012 RC Matches.  I remember Rose/Poulter not playing well and getting lucky that Woods/Stricker and Watson/Simpson were playing even worse.  I don't have the matches on DVR to give you specific examples.

I am going to ignore your "other sports" arguments.  For one thing, I don't know anything about F1 and Soccer, and for another thing, I am not going to defend Serena's boorish behavior for any reason.

Lastly, those examples are completely "STRAWMAN ARGUMENTS".  Stick with what I say, not what happens in other sports.  I don't care and its not relevant.

Again, I remember Poulter not playing well in Medinah, other than those last 5 holes on Saturday, and I gave some evidence of my memories.  And Yes, I am the very aware of the vagaries of Match play, bad bounces, etc.  And Yes, I realize you play YOUR Opponent and not other players in match play.  But the medal scores do confirm my recollection of Rose/Poulter not playing well.

Do you not agree that in Match play  (as a generic statement) that it is not always how you play, it is also about how your opponent plays?  

Also pointed out  (which apparently you ignored)

GPB wrote:Not that I would recommend matching scorecards, but if we did, Rose/Poulter would have lost their Foursome match against any of the other three US teams playing that session.

IMO, the aura and luster around Poulter in RC has become really dim.  I expect he is going to have a "Westwood at Hazeltine - esque" Ryder Cup in Paris.

Ha ha, what a copout. That was the SECOND time you mentioned scorecards, and you only added your caveat because you realised how retarded it is to apply a strokeplay scorecard to a matchplay outcome.

You can score MORE than your playing partner, STILL WIN and STILL PLAY WELL.

Yeah, I'm sure you can remember how Poulter played in all his matches.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 17 Sep - 22:27

It does show how bad your reading comprehension is.

You read the messenger, not the message.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 17 Sep - 22:28

GPB wrote:
I'll repeat.  Match is not only how a player plays, it is about how his opponent plays.  Poulter's opponents did not play that well in 2012.  Don't forget, Poulter did not win a match in 2014.

Firstly, Poulter not playing well in 2014 has nothing to do with the quality of his play in 2012.

Secondly, you only have to beat what is in front of you. If your opponent is in trouble and bogeys the hole, you only need a par. No point shooting the lights out with eagles and birdies, so of course your strokes are going to be higher and not an accurate reflection of your scoring.

Thirdly, maybe Poulter's opponents didn't all suddenly start to play badly against him. Maybe there he has a matchplay "aura" that intimidates others, everyone has talked about Tiger having this effect in his heyday. Maybe his shot making enticed his opponents in to taking on risky shots and getting punished?

I just think you are being simplistic in your conclusions and there are a lot more factors to this...

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 18 Sep - 8:18

RCU:

Again, it is my opinion:

Poulter is an over-rated RC player and I have given some hard evidence that supports my opinions. Seve76 asked for the scores of IJP opponents and after I porvided, I get flamed on this board saying that they are relevant, yada yada yada.

Yes Poulter's sycophants and apologists can poke holes in my citations. But no one has actually countered my points with actual tangible and objective evidence. Just some subjective criteria.

Funny you should speak about "aura" because I used that same term above when I said

GPB wrote:IMO, the aura and luster around Poulter in RC has become really dim.

I realize that Poulter winless record in 2014 has NOTHING to do with his 2012 performance (duh! Ya Think??) but it does go to my overall point that Poulter's aura and luster has become dim.

Two years ago, I mocked Darren Clarke's Lee Westwood pick, saying that it was "nepotism" and similar to the Lanny Wadkins picking Curtis Strange in 1995. Russell Knox should have got the pick over Westwood.

Thomas Bjorn's picks of Stenson, Poulter, and Garcia are part of the Euro Tour Good Ole Boy club. These guys are Euro Ryder Cup stalwarts and probably three of the next five RC Captains, (along with Paddy and Westy).

I don't expect IJP to have a good Ryder Cup, just like I didn't expect Westwood to have a good RC in 2016.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep - 9:52

Poults is a much better golfer in 2018 than he ever was in 2014 . . . . . . . .

But the best players on the European Team need to play their very best for Euros to win. Rosey, Rory, we're looking at you, possibly Casey as well. It's all about leadership and leading from the front.
Which Europe did convincingly in 2012, and need to again.
COYE . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 18 Sep - 10:21

kwini wrote:It's all about leadership and leading from the front.
Which Europe did convincingly in 2012, and need to again.

"...leading from the front..."?

How do you reckon Europe did that in 2012?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next