The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 14 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 14 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by pedro Wed 26 Sep 2018, 5:47 pm

Heard that Jacquelin and Havret are in the RC back room team. Dunno about Levet tho.

Anyway, off to Paris.

pedro

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 14 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2018, 6:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Just don't know why you cobbled up a porkie to diss Nicklaus.

It's not a porkie, I don't really care for the Golden Bear and will happily diss him. He is not a given in my top 4 of all time. I would consider the cases of Tiger, Snead and Hogan ahead of Jacks and therefore jack is fighting it out with people like Tom Morris I, Palmer, Jones and Mickelson for a place in my top 4.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Wed 26 Sep 2018, 6:24 pm

Definitely in the top 4 most stupid posts of all time, if not the stupidest......

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Sep 2018, 7:36 pm

McLaren wrote:Maybe, I don't really know enough about the older guys and how good their competitors were to really rank them.  Either way it is not ridiculous for Tiger to put himself in the top 4.

He probably does belong in there, but it's not a gentlemanly thing to do to stick yourself in there. Probably would have been better telling the interviewer to think up a more original question, as it was a leading question asking Woods to bum himself up, which of course he's happy to do.

It's said that pride comes before a fall, so hopefully Woods stinks out the Ryder Cup as usual.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:22 pm

ralphjohn69 wrote:Definitely in the top 4 most stupid posts of all time, if not the stupidest......

:D
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:28 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:
- Justin: Massive confidence boost, he'll be floating in the clouds and I expect him to play serene impeccable golf this week.

Massive Confidence Boost ?

Massive?

He limped home with a final round 73    Two weeks earlier, Failed to convert a 54 hole lead at the BMW Championship.

FTR: admittedly yes he did birdie the 2nd easiest hole on the course to win a pot full of money.

But I don't think he got a MASSIVE confidence boost

Nah, getting to #1 and the being  most consistent player on the PGA will just destroy his confidence won't it?

Pssst, last time I checked. He just lost the #1 ranking. Couldn't hold onto for one tournament played.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

I said GETTING to #1, that doesn't imply he still has it.

If anyone is going to be riding a wave of confidence, it's going to be Rose.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 26 Sep 2018, 10:28 pm

super_realist wrote:I said GETTING to #1, that doesn't imply he still has it.

And Duh, I questioned the adjective "MASSIVE".  Rose has not won a tournament in 4 months.  

Do you not think that losing the #1 ranking might take away from a "MASSIVE" Confidence Boost? Remember, repeating my statement, that I was questioning the adjective MASSIVE, and I was not questioning that he might have a "wave of confidence.

Because I know how much you like the "Strawman argument" and take my statements WAY out of CONTEXT. Because that is who you are, and that is what you do.

IMO, If there is anyone riding a wave of confidence, it would have to Woods.

Playing in the same pairing, Woods beat Rose by three shots on Saturday, and Woods beat Rory by three shots on Sunday.

And, oh yeah, one other thing, Woods WON the tournament this past week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 27 Sep 2018, 7:49 am

Here you go again, Bringing up strokeplay whilst comparing it to matchplay. Rolling Eyes Who cares if Woods beat Rose and McIlroy over certain rounds at the weekend, what's that got to do with confidence in a matchplay situation? Why even bring that up?

Also, do you think you can only gain (massive) confidence by winning? Do you actually know anything about sport? Confidence is gained through playing consistently well and doing things as you want them to be done. Winning the competition, whilst nice, is not the only way to gain confidence.

Rose might not have won in 4 months, but Moobs hasn't won in FIVE YEARS for goodness sake. Rose has 8 wins in that time AND has a better Ryder Cup record. Not that wins matter of course to matchplay, but Rose has played consistently well for the last 5 years in all formats, Moobs has played well for 8-12 months max over the last 5.

Should Rory take "massive confidence" from gaining more OWGR points than Tiger Moobs this year? If you want to use pointless stats for matchplay how about that one?

It's often inferred that I'm the most miserable person on this board GPB, however you make me look like Kriss Akabusi (look him up), do you get up every morning and take a miserable pill?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 27 Sep 2018, 11:58 am

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:I said GETTING to #1, that doesn't imply he still has it.

And Duh, I questioned the adjective "MASSIVE".  Rose has not won a tournament in 4 months.  

Do you not think that losing the #1 ranking might take away from a "MASSIVE" Confidence Boost?  Remember, repeating my statement, that I was questioning the adjective MASSIVE, and I was not questioning that he might have a "wave of confidence.

Because I know how much you like the "Strawman argument" and take my statements WAY out of CONTEXT.  Because that is who you are, and that is what you do.  

IMO, If there is anyone riding a wave of confidence, it would have to Woods.

Playing in the same pairing, Woods beat Rose by three shots on Saturday, and Woods beat Rory by three shots on Sunday.

And, oh yeah, one other thing, Woods WON the tournament this past week.

Yep, Woods is probably riding a massive wave of confidence. It's not mutually exclusive though, other people can be riding the wave too. I believe Rose will be playing this week with sky high confidence. 10 million reasons to call it massive.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Sep 2018, 12:05 pm

Apparently, they all brick it on the first tee, they all have their reasons to I guess. Be it to carry on a record that's great, improve a poor one, show you are worth a pick, be a good rookie. I think getting a win under your belt early doors must be the key. Don't think confidence beforehand matters too much (though knowing you are in good nick must be a bonus).

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 27 Sep 2018, 1:43 pm

The gallery on the 1st tee is massive (I like that word) and the atmosphere is far more boisterous and partisan compared with anything else they are used to. I imagine the sensation is similar to stepping up to take a penalty in a world cup shoot out. Even major champions are going to brick it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 27 Sep 2018, 2:10 pm

super_realist wrote:Here you go again, Bringing up strokeplay whilst comparing it to matchplay. Rolling Eyes Who cares if Woods beat Rose and McIlroy over certain rounds at the weekend, what's that got to do with confidence in a matchplay situation? Why even bring that up?

Sigh, again, READ MY POST, my original point was the use of the adjective about a MASSIVE Confidence Boost.

super_realist wrote:Also, do you think you can only gain (massive) confidence by winning? Do you actually know anything about sport? Confidence is gained through playing consistently well and doing things as you want them to be done. Winning the competition, whilst nice, is not the only way to gain confidence.

Forgive me. I always think WINNING gives a athlete a better confidence boost than losing does. I'm sure in your alternate universe that you can rationalizing losing is better for your confidence than winning.

super_realist wrote:Rose might not have won in 4 months, but Moobs hasn't won in FIVE YEARS for goodness sake. Rose has 8 wins in that time AND has a better Ryder Cup record. Not that wins matter of course to matchplay, but Rose has played consistently well for the last 5 years in all formats, Moobs has played well for 8-12 months max over the last 5.

MOOBS? Who is the he!! is MOOBS? Again with the sophomoric, juvenile junior high school mean girl nicknames. How old are you anyways? I don't know who you are talking about. If it is Tiger, pssst, last time I checked, he just won 5 days ago. {off to google} Yep, he just won the Tour Championship, 5 days ago.

super_realist wrote:Should Rory take "massive confidence" from gaining more OWGR points than Tiger Moobs this year? If you want to use pointless stats for matchplay how about that one?

Oh, MOOBS is Tiger. Classy as usual. Good for you.

Pssst. Rory has played 22 events in 2018 for 12.7 pts/event, and Tiger has 18 events in 2018, for 13.2

super_realist wrote:It's often inferred that I'm the most miserable person on this board GPB, however you make me look like Kriss Akabusi (look him up), do you get up every morning and take a miserable pill?

I don't know who he is, and don't care. But I agree with the consensus that you are the most miserable person on this board. You obviously has an obsession to make up pubescent, locker room nicknames, digs at players names and their personal lives. Admittedly, I think you do make some very good points (at times), but they honestly lose credibility with your meaningless wumming. Its just hard to filter your wumming, and get to the point. I can only imagine what your psychological profile would say.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 27 Sep 2018, 2:47 pm

super_realist wrote:Not that wins matter of course to matchplay

You are increasingly obsessed with the idea that strokeplay has no bearing on matchplay so I wonder how you would select a Ryder cup squad?  You can't use OWGR points, finishes in tour events, major results, money list positions or any of the normal measures of a players performance because they are based almost exclusively on strokeplay events.  If strokeplay has as little predictive value of matchplay success as you claim, then how would you assemble a squad?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 27 Sep 2018, 3:06 pm

This English kid representing Europe in the Junior Ryder Cup has an interesting name.  And a very interesting Middle Name.

https://junior.rydercup.com/scoring/scorecard/Robin-Williams

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 27 Sep 2018, 3:15 pm

Ryder Cup really does engender a sense of wellbeing, camaraderie and all round joy, doesn't it?

I'd like Europe to win but as long as I get to see some great golf and some humanity reaffirming sportsmanlike behaviour all round I'll be happy. Fight tooth and nail, shake hands and have a drink together.

Oh and idiotic crowd chanting (either side!) to be punished by something from medieval times. A dunking for a "mashed potato" up to perhaps an iron maiden for a "Get in the hole" on the tee box of a par 5.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Sep 2018, 4:07 pm

GPB wrote:This English kid representing Europe in the Junior Ryder Cup has an interesting name.  And a very interesting Middle Name.

https://junior.rydercup.com/scoring/scorecard/Robin-Williams

There was a well-known Tiger Williams in Major League sport long before there was a Tiger Woods; assume this bloke's family are ice hockey fans.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 27 Sep 2018, 4:09 pm

I would rather watch Europe win with the final match meaningful, than a US blowout.

I consider a blowout something that is over when the final match is on the 11th hole or earlier. My definition of a blowout could include a final score of 15-13, because one team could get to 15 pts really on the 8th match of the day, rendering the final 4 matches "meaningless".

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 27 Sep 2018, 5:09 pm

USA should get a free point for making us watch Jain 'Alright' during the Opening Ceremonies.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Sep 2018, 5:33 pm

Opening Fourballs

- Brooks-Finau vs. Rose-Rahm
- DJ-Rickie vs. Rory-Olesen
- JT-Spieth vs. Casey-Hatton
- Tiger-Reed vs. Fleetwood-Molinari

US 3-1 lead. Björn throws the rookies all in

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Sep 2018, 5:45 pm

Some interesting pairs, I wouldn't have called Casey and Hatton or Rose and Rahm. Still think it's pretty much a guessing game rather than any kind of skill or science. Koepka and Finau sounds like a pretty chilled out pairing.
I'll go 2.5 to 1.5 US lead.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Sep 2018, 5:48 pm

Just John wrote:Opening Fourballs

- Brooks-Finau vs. Rose-Rahm
- DJ-Rickie vs. Rory-Olesen
- JT-Spieth vs. Casey-Hatton
- Tiger-Reed vs. Fleetwood-Molinari

US 3-1 lead. Björn throws the rookies all in

Not really. Surprised to see Alex Noren omitted from the Fourballs, kinda saw him as a mainstay of the Team.
Quite surprised that Furyk has left out Mickelson; he can't be saving him for Foursomes, surely?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 27 Sep 2018, 7:24 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:Not that wins matter of course to matchplay

You are increasingly obsessed with the idea that strokeplay has no bearing on matchplay so I wonder how you would select a Ryder cup squad?  You can't use OWGR points, finishes in tour events, major results, money list positions or any of the normal measures of a players performance because they are based almost exclusively on strokeplay events.  If strokeplay has as little predictive value of matchplay success as you claim, then how would you assemble a squad?

Mac, you have no choice but to use OWGR points for SOME of the players qualification, however, you seem to think that someone winning a tournament (Fitz) takes precedence over the experience of someone like Garcia or Stenson.

It's how you BALANCE that team with your picks which is where the Captain earns his stripes and who he pairs players with.

I'm fine using strokeplay form for qualification, iv'e never said they shouldn't. My issue with strokeplay form is that it doesn't say much about how they'll play in Matchplay does it?
I've never implied otherwise. Sometimes you make Dustin Johnson look like a genius.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 27 Sep 2018, 8:48 pm

Short report from France.

I think Bjorns plan is to play the remaining 4 in the foursomes, together with Rory, Rose, Molinari and Tommy.

Not surprised they sit Phil and Bubba. Don’t think we’ll see them before Sat fourballs. They didn’t look good today. Bubba pulled his teeshot on 1 despite hitting iron. It almost resulted in a lost ball. The rest of the round he just looked a bit hyper and his putting was dodgy. Obviously fans were heckling him a bit. During the round US team practised quite a bit chipping around the greens, the Euros more the putting.

Most of the European side look relaxed. Olesen, Tommy and Garcia smiling, Casey too of course, Poults and Rory interacting with the crowd.

Reed is also great. Interacts with the crowd despite him knowing they’ll boo at him. Fowler looks like his game is dialed in. Tiger walks like he’s shat in his pants. So either he’s hurting or it was the gala dinner last night. Or maybe he’s just getting older. In fact he didn’t bother to drive on the first hole, so he just walked out with the others.

Also, Rory was the last man leaving the practise range today, a few minutes after Noren. Olesen also stayed long on the putting green.

A lot of Brits here, but also many Irish, Scandinavians, Italians, Spaniards, German and Dutch. And quite a few Americans.

Event is well organised, course is stunning and weather is beautiful, no wind whatsoever. A bit cooler tomorrow.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:30 pm

You there for the duration, Pedro? Enjoy, sounds great

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:49 pm

Just here today and tomorrow digs. Yes it’s great. I think crowds will go bananas tomorrow. My plan is to find a seat on the 2nd tee grandstand, which’ll offer great views of both the 1st and 2nd hole.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:50 pm

pedro clap RedWine clap RedWine clap RedWine

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:54 pm

From the comments earlier this month about Poulter, its hard to believe that he is not playing in the opening session.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Sep 2018, 6:26 am

GPB, how could winning the FedEx and $10million not give you massive confidence?

If the mad scientist De Chambeau had won, you'd be all over it. You go on about how anti-American this board is, yet you're far worse for your lack of credit to European Golf.

I wonder if Baldy Woods gets beaten today you'll say he just played poorly?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Sep 2018, 6:46 am

First four pairings for Europe look weak...Would have started with experience going out with eachother..

Rose/Casey..

Poulter/Rory

Garcia/Molinari..

Those 4 sets look like a gift....

Prediction....EUR 11...USA 17..

US is too strong..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 28 Sep 2018, 7:09 am

He's BAAAAACK Shocked

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Sep 2018, 7:34 am

Better European Team than two years ago.

Was going to predict 15 1/2 - 12 1/2....

Till I saw this morning's line up..

Best of luck and all that

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 28 Sep 2018, 8:11 am

Have to say from listening to 5 Live this morning the atmosphere sounded absolutely electric.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:06 am

Spieth looking superb (-5 thru 7)

Rose looking solid, Koepka having a mare.

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:23 am

Its going to be a long weekend for Europe if Rory continues like this.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:39 am

Thus far this morning it looks like it's leaning towards rankings and strokeplay prowess.

Doh

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:50 am

I was surprised with the pairings too has to be said. Obviously hindsight is wonderful but they are odd pairings. Surely you want your rookies to get out but not under immediate pressure to perform? I

Rory seems to have been lumped with Oli in the hope of a Pieters recreation....think Rory Would have been better suited with Fleetwood..Would have stuck with Stenson & Rose....Rahm & Molinari and Poulter\Casey

If US get in 3-1 up its already a long long way back for Europe

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:57 am

Rory doesn't look like he even wants to be in that pairing ...awkward!

Tails up for the U.S. and like 2 years ago they have all come to play....4-0 would be disastrous and Rose/Rahm just struggling a little atm

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:30 am

It looks close as most predicted. Surely fourball pairings are easier for rookies and better to get them going.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:40 am

Rose & Rahm throwing away first game...two easy putts in last three to extend lead.

Also had chances in games 2 and 4 to get ahead and failed. Poor putting could really haunt us over these last few holes. Should be up in 3 now...

I think too much is made of fourball being easier for rookies. I'd rather be a rookie going out ahead than playing in the morning knowing the pressure to get points on the board and get ahead. Also if your experienced head doesn't perform such as Rory this morning then all the pressure is on the rookie and that's some heat to have you on you...

Should be 3 up in Game 1 ...now all square. Suffice to say Europe blowing it across the board this morning and concerns with the pairings showing....that said great fight back from Casey/Hatton

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:42 am

Should sit Rory in the afternoon

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:47 am

Yeah feel sorry for Oleson...played well but had a bit of a shellacking thanks to Rory. That played out to be the terrible pairing most though it would be. Didnt work at all. Fancy US to take this morning 4-0 now!

What pairings do Europe need to put out this afternoon now?!

How are we thinking on Bjorns reign this early on?

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:50 am

McIlroy & Olesen lose 4&2 to Johnson & Fowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

It's going to be a very long weekend for Europe.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:56 am

Agreed....we have definitely thrown away chances today but I haven't watched any of our pairings and thought 'they look comfortable'...

Experience with Rookie just hasnt worked

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:58 am

Oh dear god...Fleetwood fluffs his lines and another chance gone. Europe crumbling in the pressure moments to get ahead atm.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:00 pm

Rahm hits a crap drive again and Rose finds water....not a surprise pressure got to him...carried Rahm most of the way around...

This will be the biggest loss given we should have been home and dry by 14th.

Think your right too Ali....sit Rory...head doesn't look right at all..

4-0 morning session...Bjorns calls have backfired massively and its over before it's begun in my opinion

Got to go with...

Stenson/Rose
Casey /Poulter
Olesen/Noren
Garcia/Molinari

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:14 pm

Molinari now finds water.....man what are Europe doing...absolute dog Poopie!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:19 pm

Rose & Rahm lose to Koepka & Finau

Europe 0-2 USA

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:20 pm

Final Match is way out of position.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next