The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Evening with...

+8
hazharrison
Herman Jaeger
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Atila
Rowley
AdamT
milkyboy
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

An Evening with... Empty An Evening with...

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

Sugar Ray Leonard - November 28th Richard Dunn Sports Centre, Bradford.

Tickets £20 - VIP tickets £40 (including photo with Sugar Ray

Organized by MJK Sports events

Some of you may be interested although may not be prepared to travel to Bradford!!

Back to top Go down

An Evening with... Empty Re: An Evening with...

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 1:42 pm

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/14776767.Sugar_Ray_will_hit_the_sweet_spot_in_Bradford/

Bit more info re tickets at the bottom of the article

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:03 pm

Rowley's done a few of these I think... Might have done a Leonard one too from memory... If so any good rowls?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:04 pm

Rowley doesn't venture on the boxing boards these days, he says it's full of opinionated f*ckwits.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

I'd absolutely love a vip ticket to this. If I lived in England, I'd be there fore sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:08 pm

I live about 20 mins drive from the venue ...and I'm not f*cking going! It would be a betrayal to Hagler and that's too much of a price to pay. Hagler/Minter, the first fight I can vividly recall as a youngster and the one that got me into boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

But Dave you could tell him to his face how hagler was jobbed

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Rowley doesn't venture on the boxing boards these days, he says it's full of opinionated f*ckwits.

... And that's just our good points

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 2:40 pm

milkyboy wrote:But Dave you could tell him to his face how hagler was jobbed
He'd only start crying a lot and talking about his alcoholism and alleged child abuse as a means of distracting people from the main crux of the argument. I would be then seen to have been given a silent verbal beating

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm

I have indeed been to a few of these and one was with Leonard and it is comfortably one of the best I have been to. Firstly whether you like him or not Leonard is a genuine megastar, one of the few the sport has left and he knows it, as such he has a bit of an aura and presence about him. He has also got his faculties still intact so is lucid and coherent. Add into that the fact he has done stuff like motivational speaking and commentary work and he is totally comfortable on the mic. He also comes across as a decent guy, during the meal he spent a bit of time with some of the young boxers who were in attendance, giving them advice and the like.

I dare say was anyone to attend this event they would hear pretty much exactly the same stories I heard but for anyone who has not seen him before he is genuinely very good. The only other fighter I have seen who comes close to being as good as Leonard is Johnny Nelson somewhat surprisingly. There is one round our way soon, an evening with Kell Brook! Decent fighter and all that but he is not exactly Mr Charisma, Nelson is on with him that night. Suspect Johnny will be doing the heavy lifting for that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 3:21 pm

All very well and good but I still think there's more chance of me putting on a dress and spending An Evening With...Bill Cosby!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 05 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

Why bother telling Leonard something that he's been told many times already?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 05 Oct 2016, 6:13 pm

I have seen Frank Bruno. He was very good.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 6:16 pm

AdamT wrote:I have seen Frank Bruno. He was very good.
Don't think Sugar Ray's doing Panto, mate!

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 05 Oct 2016, 6:18 pm

He wasn't doing panto ha. He was sitting chatting about his career. Was very good.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

AdamT wrote:He wasn't doing panto ha. He was sitting chatting about his career. Was very good.
Including his career in Panto?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

Atila wrote:

Trust me he has been asked, I was there! It was quite funny, when they had the q&a the first question was would you have beaten Floyd? SRL turned round to the organiser and said told you. Leonard is proper slick. Can't remember his answer to the Hagler question but he did not miss a beat.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Oct 2016, 8:10 pm

Boxers don't interest me....

An evening with Clint Eastwood would make my day though...

Or an evening with Meg on our own.....Or even an evening with red and Meg..

I like to watch.... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 6:30 am

Watch what, women wittering on without pausing for breath, saying anything remotely interesting or learning anything as a result? Sounds like you should tune into "Loose Women"

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 06 Oct 2016, 6:56 am

I will be attending this DAVE, we need to be careful CC rules and whatnot.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

Fear not Rick, as mentioned above I will NOT be going anywhere near SRL

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Oct 2016, 9:51 am

Atila wrote:

Would it not feel theraputic to tell the man you loathe, to his face, that hagler beat him?!

I do appreciate that it would involve having to squirm through all his stories, and you'd be lining his pockets with the ticket cost.

You should go Atila... Buy the VIP ticket and get your photo taken with him... doing a 'loser' sign with your hand, while whispering 'quiet beating' in his ear.

I'll be there, whispering sweet nothings in his other ear Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 10:12 am

milkyboy wrote:
Atila wrote:

Would it not feel theraputic to tell the man you loathe, to his face, that hagler beat him?!

I do appreciate that it would involve having to squirm through all his stories, and you'd be lining his pockets with the ticket cost.

You should go Atila... Buy the VIP ticket and get your photo taken with him... doing a 'loser' sign with your hand, while whispering 'quiet beating' in his ear.

I'll be there, whispering sweet nothings in his other ear Very Happy
Wow, SRL getting fluffed and fisted at the same time...be like the old days for him...allegedly!

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 06 Oct 2016, 1:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Fear not Rick, as mentioned above I will NOT be going anywhere near SRL

Excellent.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 1:35 pm

Must ensure CC Rules are not breached irrespective of circumstances.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 06 Oct 2016, 3:16 pm

On a serious note, £20 isn't a bad price neither is the £40 if you're a fan of his. But I can't imagine me ever paying money to meet anyone.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

Atila wrote:On a serious note, £20 isn't  a bad price neither is the £40 if you're a fan of his. But I can't imagine me ever paying money to meet anyone.
Not even Cindy from Colchester who claims to be an aspiring model?

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 06 Oct 2016, 3:26 pm

If I'm going to pay Cindy £20, I'd expect to do more than meet her. She's going to have to give me something for my £20. Cool

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 3:29 pm

I met a prostitute the other day who said she'd do anything for a fiver.

Guess who got his Frak car washed, waxed and vacuumed? Boom!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 06 Oct 2016, 7:30 pm

Can I take all this to mean if I ever decide to sell the signed photo montage I drunkenly purchased at the auction Atila and Dave should not be my first ports of call?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 06 Oct 2016, 7:54 pm

Too much of a drive for me Bradford, I'm afraid

I wouldn't cross the road to see Floyd Mayweather's cherrpicking ass but I'd love to see Ray Leonard in the flesh just as I would Hagler or Duran

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Oct 2016, 11:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Sugar Ray Leonard - November 28th Richard Dunn Sports Centre, Bradford.

Some of you may be interested although may not be prepared to travel to Bradford!!

There's one in York but they're asking to wire money through to "friends and family" on PayPal which just seems fishy (probably legit). £50 at Henry Wharton's Gym (desperately trying to find someone to purchase in person).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 07 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

http://iboxingtickets.com/t/an-evening-with-sugar-ray-leonard-sunday-4th-december-southend

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 07 Oct 2016, 5:52 pm

Rowley wrote:Can I take all this to mean if I ever decide to sell the signed photo montage I drunkenly purchased at the auction Atila and Dave should not be my first ports of call?
Milky will break your arm for it. Smile

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 07 Oct 2016, 6:01 pm

Milky has already made a reasonably substantial offer for the signed picture of me with Ray. Understandable, his two heroes together at last.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 07 Oct 2016, 6:24 pm

Rowley wrote:Milky has already made a reasonably substantial offer for the signed picture of me with Ray. Understandable, his two heroes together at last.
You might be Milky's hero Rowls, but Ray Leonard is his God.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 07 Oct 2016, 7:44 pm

As you both well know, my two boxing heroes of the era were Aaron Pryor and azumah Nelson. But I'm a man if integrity who will defend any fighter I feel is getting a raw deal. I'm made out to be a Leonard fan by all the bitter and twisted Marv groupies who can't get over his defeat.

So Rowley, how much for the Leonard montage and are their any cute ones of him in his underwear?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:12 pm

We do have one thing in common Milky, we're both fans of Pryor. Him, Hagler, Hearns and Holmes were my favourites from the 80's.

Sorry, make that two things we have in common, Integrity is my middle name.

Shame we never got to see Pryor share the ring with Leonard.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Oct 2016, 3:40 pm

Much as Pryor talked it up... And Leonard bashers like to sometimes use it as a duck.... Laughable when you look at the timelines and who Leonard did actually fight. I'm sure the hawk would have liked the payday and I'm sure he'd have had a real go.

I guess we wrongly thought Duran was likely too small for Leonard so we have to be careful saying Pryor was... But whilst I'm sure it would have been a great clash of styles, have to think Ray has a bit too much class and size.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 09 Oct 2016, 8:52 pm

milkyboy wrote:Much as Pryor talked it up... And Leonard bashers like to sometimes use it as a duck.... Laughable when you look at the timelines and who Leonard did actually fight. I'm sure the hawk would have liked the payday and I'm sure he'd have had a real go.

I guess we wrongly thought Duran was likely too small for Leonard so we have to be careful saying Pryor was... But whilst I'm sure it would have been a great clash of styles, have to think Ray has a bit too much class and size.

Really not sure about that. Pryor would have been all over Ray, similar to the first Duran fight where he found it hard to get room to move/think/punch. It would have been a great fight (but Leonard gave us more than enough of those).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:00 pm

Which bit are you not sure about haz... That it wasn't a duck or that Leonard would likely win? Pryor only became a real name when he beat arguello in late 1982, Leonard had his detached retina before then and retired around the time if Pryor arguello 1. Yes Pryor used to call him out... Everyone wanted a slice of Leonard, but there was never really a missed 'Superfight'. It's only with hindsight you see 2 great fighters half a division apart and wish they'd fought.

As for the match up, I was implying it would be a great clash of styles that Leonard as a slightly better all round fighter, in my opinion, and a naturally bigger man would likely win. Pryor would be over Ray like a rash, but he wasn't as defensively astute or as smart inside as Duran. Be a cracking fight though, and not a glimme. That's how I see it anyway... You like Pryor in this?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:56 pm

The thing that really goes against Pryor in this match up is his size. From what I remember reading, he only moved up to light welter because he couldn't get a title shot at lightweight. I don't know if he could have bulked up enough to compete against someone like Leonard at welter. If he could sufficiently bulk up and keep his speed, then yes, I see him giving Leonard a very hard time due to his style.

I don't think Leonard avoided the Hawk, but I don't agree that this fight couldn't have happened even before Pryor stock rose by beating Arguello. Pryor was an unbeaten champ at 140lbs while Leonard found the time to fight Larry Bonds and later on Bruce Finch. Shame he couldn't have squeezed Pryor in instead of one of them.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 10 Oct 2016, 1:05 am

It certainly could have happened Atila, I've heard rumours that Pryor was offered a fight in 1980, ANd that they had an agreement in place for a fight before Leonard retired with eye trouble. It wouldn't have been seen as a Superfight though, Pryor wasn't unified champ at 140 and hadn't fought anyone at 147.

Think bonds was picked as southpaw practice for the already signed for, kalule fight. Finch ticked off a Few mandatories but was certainly was a fight that added nothing to leonard's  cv.

Last edited by milkyboy on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 10 Oct 2016, 8:05 am

hazharrison wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Sugar Ray Leonard - November 28th Richard Dunn Sports Centre, Bradford.

There's one in York but they're asking to wire money through to "friends and family" on PayPal which just seems fishy (probably legit). £50 at Henry Wharton's Gym (desperately trying to find someone to purchase in person).

If it's friends or family they don't pay a fee for receiving the money. But if the event is cancelled you'll have no comeback as it's a friends and family payment.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 10 Oct 2016, 8:38 am

Pedro147 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

If it's friends or family they don't pay a fee for receiving the money. But if the event is cancelled you'll have no comeback as it's a friends and family payment.

That's what I thought. Plus the email address they've given doesn't match the email address on the Henry's Gym website - which rang alarm bells.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 10 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

milkyboy wrote:Which bit are you not sure about haz... That it wasn't a duck or that Leonard would likely win? Pryor only became a real name when he beat arguello in late 1982, Leonard had his detached retina before then and retired around the time if Pryor arguello 1. Yes Pryor used to call him out... Everyone wanted a slice of Leonard, but there was never really a missed 'Superfight'. It's only with hindsight you see 2 great fighters half a division apart and wish they'd fought.

As for the match up, I was implying it would be a great clash of styles that Leonard as a slightly better all round fighter, in my opinion, and a naturally bigger man would likely win. Pryor would be over Ray like a rash, but he wasn't as defensively astute or as smart inside as Duran. Be a cracking fight though, and not a glimme. That's how I see it anyway... You like Pryor in this?

I meant I wasn't convinced Leonard's size and class would win the day (no suggestion on my part that Leonard ducked him).

I think it's a coin flip - I can see ways for both to win. Good point on Pryor's defense - he was often open due to his windmill style. Real shame we didn't see it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:00 am

Fair enough, when two great fighters of similar sizes meet, the result is rarely certain, down to who can utilise their strengths better and impose their will.

Pryor carried a big chip after missing out on the '76 Olympic ticket... Think he could have gone for lightweight or light welter... Picked lightweight and lost out to Howard davis, when he could have gone for Leonard.

He saw Leonard sign the big dollar deal, so I think it's fair to say he would have gone in to a fight with Leonard pretty well motivated. Having said all that rumours are he was offered a Leonard fight not long after he won the light welter belt but wanted a bigger purse. No idea how true that is... Maybe someone who goes to the 'evening with' can ask him?!

Whichever, as you say, would have been a cracking fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 10 Oct 2016, 11:51 am

I've never really been interested in these, but Sugar Ray Leonard is one of my all time heroes. Yeah, I'm going.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 12 Oct 2016, 11:06 pm

I was in Rugby today with work, so on the way back took a swerve into York.

Was still a bit uneasy about buying tickets from a gym but who turns up? Henry Wharton himself! 2 x £50 tickets in the bag (includes photo with Leonard) and a chat with Henry. Lovely fella.

Going to ask about this silent beating thing. Put it to bed once and for all...

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 13 Oct 2016, 12:27 pm

Intriguing,  What are you going to ask exactly to put it to bed? 'Ray did marvin give you a quiet beating?'. Would a yes or no answer put it to bed?

When is the York one, I'm tempted. I need that photo to go with all the posters on my bedroom wall.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next