The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016

+26
Nematode
Geordie
mid_gen
nathan
GLove39
A Simply Mesmeric Try
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
Rugby Fan
stub
des
Majestic83
propdavid_london
BigGee
nickj
Poorfour
ChequeredJersey
George Carlin
Pot Hale
cakeordeath
TJ
yappysnap
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Hazel Sapling
RDW
funnyExiledScot
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016 Empty Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:33 am

Game: Edinburgh vs Harlequins
Date: Saturday 22nd October 2016
Kick-off: 3:15pm
Venue: BT Murrayfield
Competition: Mickey Mouse Cup - Pool 5
Form:
Timisoara Saracens 17 - 59 Edinburgh Rugby
Harlequins 43 - 21 Stade Francais
Interesting Facts:
Edinburgh - The Edinburgh District side was formed in 1872 to play against a Glasgow District side. The teams met on 23 November 1872 at Burnbrae and Edinburgh won 3–0 in a 20-a-side fixture. This is the oldest inter-district match in the world and to mark this the current Glasgow and Edinburgh sides play for the 1872 Cup every year, which Edinburgh typically wins handsomely.

Harlequins - The Hampstead Football Club was founded in 1866 and the first recorded game took place in 1867. The club was renamed Harlequin Rugby Football Club in 1870, supposedly because the membership was no longer purely local but the HFC monogram had to be retained. The word 'Harlequin' was found in a dictionary and all present agreed to the new name. This caused a split in the membership and the half that did not form the Harlequins went off and formed the club now known as Wasps.
Head to head: Edinburgh have never played Quins in European competition before.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016 Empty Re: Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016

Post by RDW Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:48 am

That's some impressive Wikipedia-ing FES! Thanks for doing the thread.

Edinburgh are actually going into this game in reasonable shape - we've had 2 confidence boosting wins (although still issues with our performance) and have managed to unearth a potential game changer in Mata (although very early days). There is stiff competition in the back row though (exactly what we need) so someone big is going to have to miss out. Du Preez, Manu, Mata, Bradbury, Hardie, Ritchie, Fihaki and maybe even Watson should be fit.

My team:

1 Sutherland
2 Ford
3 Nel (if fit)
4 Glchrist
5 Toolis
6 Bradbury
7 Hardie
8 Manu

9 SHC
10 Tovey
11 Brown
12 Burleigh (if fit, Rasolea if not)
13 Allan
14 Hoyland
15 Kinghrone

Subs Dell, McInally, McCallum, McKenzie, CDP, Kennedy, Rasolea, Scholes

With Mata being let loose to run riot against Zebre the weekend after.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016 Empty Re: Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:14 am

I started to write earlier (but stopped myself) how much I would like to see a Mata/Watson/CDP back row for the carrying and offloading that could bring. I think practically for Zebre, Edinburgh are losing Bradbury/Hardie/CDP to Scotland so use this as the warm-up match for those 3 with Ritchie to get 20 minutes at the end.

Following week Mata/Watson/Manu with Ritchie on the bench again to get another 20 minutes plus. Fihaki can come in if there is an injury. Allows Ritchie to build some confidence and get some time on the pitch.

For Quins, that team would do for me. I suspect CDP will start ahead of Bradbury to be honest but otherwise it looks like the sort of team to expect.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:32 am

If only the rest of the squad had as much quality as the back row....

1st choice

6 CDP
7 Hardie
8 Manu

2nd choice

6 Mata
7 Watson
8 Bradbury

3rd choice

6 Ritchie
8 Fihaki

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:41 am

Front row is pretty good. Locks are not terrible. The pack is good. It is the backs that are not inspiring.

1st Choice
1) Dickinson
2) Ford
3) Nel
4) Toolis
5) Gilchrist

2nd Choice
1) Sutherland
2) McInally
3) Berghan
4) Bresler
5) McKenzie

3rd Choice
1) Dell
2) Turner
3) McCallum
4) Carmichael

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:My team:

1 Sutherland
2 Ford
3 Nel (if fit)
4 Glchrist
5 Toolis
6 Bradbury
7 Hardie
8 Manu

9 SHC
10 Tovey
11 Brown
12 Burleigh (if fit, Rasolea if not)
13 Allan
14 Hoyland
15 Kinghrone

Subs Dell, McInally, McCallum, McKenzie, CDP, Kennedy, Rasolea, Scholes

With Mata being let loose to run riot against Zebre the weekend after.

Pretty much agree with all of that. I'd be inclined to switch Bradbury for CDP - not a form pick at all, but I'm very keen to see the CDP/Hardie/Manu combination for 60 minutes or so. Ultimately I think it's our most talented trio. I'd also start McInally ahead of Ford, mainly for rugby reasons.

Happy with the rest.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:58 am

Haven't seen this brought up elsewhere but may have missed it, have people seen the article in The Times about Alex Northam's battle with cancer?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rugbys-alex-northam-vows-to-tackle-cancer-qz5pv7f9k

Would certainly explain why we haven't seen much of him so far, although it does make me feel especially bad as I'd only googled him in order to take the urine in response to Hazel's dig at the Edinburgh backline. Turns out I'm a terrible person!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 am

That is a real shame, and in that regard is was great to see him playing at the weekend.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:52 am

From a Quins perspective it's difficult to know what to expect in this game.

We've lost all our away games so far this season, including a man shaming by Wasps. At home though we've looked far superior. It'll be interesting to see if the players can use their run of victories to get some away form going.

On the pitch we've been pretty good in attack, in our good games are forwards have been physical and dominated large parts of games. In the bad games our defense had been amateur and our lineout couldn't hit a barn door.

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
13. Aloft Alofa/Stanley/Marchant injury permitting
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
5. Twomey/Mathews injury permitting
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

Theoretically more then enough to see off some wannabe toffs from Edinburgh...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:26 pm

yappysnap wrote:From a Quins perspective it's difficult to know what to expect in this game.

We've lost all our away games so far this season, including a man shaming by Wasps. At home though we've looked far superior. It'll be interesting to see if the players can use their run of victories to get some away form going.

On the pitch we've been pretty good in attack, in our good games are forwards have been physical and dominated large parts of games. In the bad games our defense had been amateur and our lineout couldn't hit a barn door.

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

Hold it right there. Are we about to engage in a "toff-off"??

Most Edinburgh fans are too posh to even attend rugby matches.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:00 pm

yappysnap wrote:From a Quins perspective it's difficult to know what to expect in this game.

You are playing Edinburgh.  Expect the unexpected but not in a good way.  A top notch front row except when they fail to turn up.  Lazy locks who run away from the action unless they deside to give away penalties.  Headless chickens in the back row.  A scrum half who looks like a 50s movie star and this year is playing like one.  A decent 10 'cos we stole him from the Welsh.  Centres are OK apart from an inability to either pass or catch a ball.  Back 3 with an average age of 12.

But we are the most well groomed, magnificently coiffured and the finest scented team in the world.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:08 pm

I am actually thinking of popping through to Edinburgh to watch this game. Don't know why. It's possible I may have had a mild stroke

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:12 pm

It should hopefully be a good game - quins are an attacking team and this is a crucial game for Edinburgh to show they are making progress.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 pm

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

Your lineout couldn't hit a barn door.

I think that's where the problem might be.    The hooker throws into the lineout, not the lineout throws to the hooker.....

Small change but it could work wonders for the team.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:55 am

Is Mata allowed to play in these European games?

This is the best thread yet, FES. Unchain your footman, give him a pat on the back and then let him carry on with polishing your olive oil collection. I totally agree with you about CDP. He is a big game animal and I expect him to come to life in this game. I also want Bradbury to use his speed off the bench against a (hopefully) tiring set of Quins forwards.

Quins have been surprisingly bad away from home given the players that they've got. If they keep going it might affect the Lions chances of some guys like Robshaw. They are a quality outfit though and Tim Visser knows how to score in the convent-like silence of Murrayfield.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:57 am

Also Marler v Nel could be a fairly epic clash.

Arguably, Marler didn't come out of it too well in the last England-Scotland game.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:28 am

Mata is in the European squad so can play.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:02 am

I thought Marler did fine vs Nel last 6N to be honest
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:06 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

That is exactly what I'm engaging in!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 am

Pot Hale wrote:

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

Your lineout couldn't hit a barn door.

I think that's where the problem might be.    The hooker throws into the lineout, not the lineout throws to the hooker.....

Small change but it could work wonders for the team.

I'll let Rowntree know.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 am

yappysnap wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

In that case, I've heard the charcuterie in the delis in the vicinity of The Stoop is woefully under par  boxing

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:22 am

Back to the rugby, that is an incredibly good Harlequins backline and I think that will be the difference. Edinburgh's backline is pretty average and we also struggle with our wide defence - teams with good backlines tend to do well against us.

Quins needs to get the ball wide and early - your back 3 will run riot.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Back to the rugby, that is an incredibly good Harlequins backline and I think that will be the difference.  Edinburgh's backline is pretty average and we also struggle with our wide defence - teams with good backlines tend to do well against us.

Quins needs to get the ball wide and early - your back 3 will run riot.

Typical Edinburgh fan, straight on the scene shooshing at people as soon as any kind of atmosphere starts to build Run

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
yappysnap wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Expected Quins Team:
15. Brown
14. Yarde
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Swiel
9. Dickson
8. Baby Chis
7. Wallace
6. Robshaw
4. Horwill (c)
3. Synkler
2. Buchanan
1. Marler

In that case, I've heard the charcuterie in the delis in the vicinity of The Stoop is woefully under par  boxing
Ah yes but our local cheese and wine scene is immaculate!

Back to the rugby, I have high hopes so long as we actually get any fluency. In our away games so far, we've been struggling with the basics and I don't really understand why!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:00 am

It should be patently self-evident to anyone with half a brain that Harlequins' woeful away form must be related to the paucity of fine comestibles and bibendibles outside the immediate vicinity of the Stoop. Fine wine in particular does not travel easily and ideally requires several weeks in situ in its new location to settle for optimal drinking. While I am sure Quins will have used their additional broadcast revenues to establish private wine cellars in prominent rugby venues, the late determination of the away schedule combined with the quaffing capacity of the team has clearly not allowed for proper stocking in advance of the early away games.

I anticipate that Quins will have planned ahead, though, and that for later games an adequate supply of intoxicating liquids will have been laid down sufficiently in advance in the locale of the game in question. I confidently predict an improvement in away form as the season wears on as a direct result.

Edinburgh, I assume, face no such problem. Even the finest single malts travel without difficulty, as the scoreline in Timisoara attests.

The decisive issue for this weekend must therefore be whether Quins' Edinburgh wine vaults, under the tender ministrations of Head Sommelier Tony Diprose, will be ready in time to counter the double-distilled, cask aged fire in Edinburgh's bellies.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:32 am

I don't think that I am posh enough to join in with this thread.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:52 am

George Carlin wrote:I don't think that I am posh enough to join in with this thread.

Just pretend that you are. After all, that's what the Quins fans do.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 am

My man servant agrees that Harlequins are bound to win.

He also says that Edinburgh's choice of post game champagne was laughable!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:30 pm

yappysnap wrote:My man servant agrees that Harlequins are bound to win.

He also says that Edinburgh's choice of post game champagne was laughable!

Only one man servant??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:22 am

Cost cutting now days, had to let the second gardener go too

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:45 am

Edinburgh team out:

1. Farqhar
2. Torquill
3. Finlay
4. Gatsby
5. Sir Humphrey
6. Crawford
7. Anderson
8. Giles

9. Smythe
10. St John Smythe
11. Hythe Smythe
12. Waitrose
13. Hugo
14. Reginald
15. Boodles

16. Fortnum
17. Mason
18. Landrover
19. Trustafarian
20. Organic
21. Windsor
22. Marks
23. Spencer
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 am

George Carlin wrote:Edinburgh team out:

1. Farqhar
2. Torquill
3. Finlay
4. Gatsby
5. Sir Humphrey
6. Crawford
7. Anderson
8. Giles

9. Smythe
10. St John Smythe
11. Hythe Smythe
12. Waitrose
13. Hugo
14. Reginald
15. Boodles

16. Fortnum
17. Mason
18. Landrover
19. Trustafarian
20. Organic
21. Windsor
22. Marks
23. Spencer

laughing

Just the one knight of the realm in the Edinburgh 23? These are dark socialist times we live in.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:57 am

Glasgow's team has been announced too

1 Pete the Jakey
2 Big mental Davey
3 Wee shug
4 Shagger
5 One eye'd Malcy
6 Stabber Mcgraw
7 Damian
8 Chantelle's son (one of 7 of them)

9 Ginge
10 Henry (the only civilised one in the team)
11 Mad Kev
12 Mic the bouncer
13 Fat Boaby
14 Giro
15 Buckfast

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:48 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow's team has been announced too

1 Pete the Jakey
2 Big mental Davey
3 Wee shug
4 Shagger
5 One eye'd Malcy
6 Stabber Mcgraw
7 Damian

9 Ginge
11 Mad Kev
12 Mic the bouncer
13 Fat Boaby
14 Giro
15 Buckfast
You forgot the bench. On current form I would go with:

16 Moisty
17 Stocious
18 Kappa
19 Gallas
20 Minging
21 McMurderer
22 McDonalds
23 Glaikit
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 am

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow's team has been announced too

1 Pete the Jakey
2 Big mental Davey
3 Wee shug
4 Shagger
5 One eye'd Malcy
6 Stabber Mcgraw
7 Damian

9 Ginge
11 Mad Kev
12 Mic the bouncer
13 Fat Boaby
14 Giro
15 Buckfast
You forgot the bench. On current form I would go with:

16 Moisty
17 Stocious
18 Kappa
19 Gallas
20 Minging
21 McMurderer
22 McDonalds
23 Glaikit

It says something about the World Class strength in depth that Glasgow can call upon, when Razor and Smackheed can't force their way into the 23.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:22 am

Whereas our 23 is very easy to remember:

1) Fontleroy
2) Fontleroy
3) Fontleroy
4) Fontleroy
5) Fontleroy
6) Webster-Smythe-Fontleroy
7) Lord Fontleroy (c)
8) Fontleroy
9) Fontleroy
10) Fontleroy-Smythe-Webster
11) Fontleroy
12) Fontleroy
13) Smythe
14) Smythe-Fontleroy
15) Token peasant

16-22- Fontleroy
23- Fontleroy-Smythe-Fontleroy
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am

I hear the Blues have announced their team too

1 Jones
2 Jones
3 Jones
4 Jones
5 Jones
6 Jones
7 Jones
8 Jones
9 Jones
10 Jones
11 Jones
12 Jones
13 Jones
14 Jones
15 Jones

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:55 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I hear the Blues have announced their team too

1 Jones
2 Jones
3 Jones
4 Jones
5 Jones
6 Jones
7 Jones
8 Jones
9 Jones
10 Jones
11 Jones
12 Jones
13 Jones
14 Jones
15 Jones
The boy Evans will be gutted that he missed out.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:00 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Whereas our 23 is very easy to remember:

1) Fontleroy
2) Fontleroy
3) Fontleroy
4) Fontleroy
5) Fontleroy
6) Webster-Smythe-Fontleroy
7) Lord Fontleroy (c)
8) Fontleroy
9) Fontleroy
10) Fontleroy-Smythe-Webster
11) Fontleroy
12) Fontleroy
13) Smythe
14) Smythe-Fontleroy
15) Token peasant

16-22- Fontleroy
23- Fontleroy-Smythe-Fontleroy

Mike Brown?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Yep thumbsup
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:00 am

Strong Edinburgh team - Nel returns

Edinburgh vs Harlequins - Saturday 22 October 2016 CvSVtW8WgAAawLJ

I would have picked Allen at 13 and it is worrying that CDP is still out, but that's probably as best as we can put out just now.

We've got a lot of impact off the bench too - McInally, McKenzie, Mata, SHC and Allen

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:11 am

Harlequins team is out
15. Mike Brown
14. Marland Yarde
13. Joe Marchant
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Charlie Walker
10. Nick Evans
9. Karl Dickson

1. Joe Marler
2. Rob Buchanan
3. Kyle Sinckler
4. Sam Twomey
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Chris Robshaw
7. Luke Wallace
8. James Chisholm

16. Joe Gray
17. Mark Lambert
18. Will Collier
19. Charlie Matthews
20. Mat Luamanu
21. Danny Care
22. Tim Swiel
23. Alofa Alofa

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:12 am

Is Visser injured? He'll be gutted to miss this one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:13 am

You would have to say at the moment, that Bradbury is ahead of CDP purely on form, can't really have any complaints about that selection. He may not be making his Scotland debut this autumn after all.

Otherwise it is a pretty good looking team. You would probably pick Hardy over Watson for your full strength team and could toss a coin over some of the backs, but it is pretty much there or thereabouts. SHC has not really made any sort of case for starting regularly. You just hope that one of the SHs takes their chance and puts their name on the jersey. No-one really seems to want it at the moment.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 am

No mention, but yes, I bet he's absolutely gutted http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-team-to-play-edinburgh-rugby/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 am

No doubting that Bradbury is the form pick just now but we know what CDP can do - it would be great to have him back and adding to the competition.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:19 am

Acting Head Coach Duncan Hodge has made 12 personnel changes to his starting Edinburgh Rugby team for tomorrow’s (Saturday) European Challenge Cup clash against Harlequins at BT Murrayfield (kick-off 3.15pm) – live on BT Sport 2.

Among the incoming players are prop WP Nel, back-row Hamish Watson, and centre Phil Burleigh, who have recovered from their respective injuries to feature in Hodge’s starting XV.

Ben Toolis will make his 50th appearance for the capital club

Lock Ben Toolis will reach a 50-cap landmark as he takes to the field for tomorrow’s match.

Hodge said: “There’s been a good buzz around the squad in the build-up to this game and we’re excited about getting back out in front of our home fans and putting in a positive performance.

“We’ve had two good wins in recent weeks but we’re going to have to raise our game once again to compete against a quality Harlequins outfit.

“This game will be a real measure of where we’re at as a team but it’s a challenge we’re looking to absorb and take in our stride.

“We’re delighted to welcome a number of players back from injury and they should prove a real boost to the side.”

In the back-three, Blair Kinghorn is promoted from the bench to start at full-back, while Tom Brown and Damien Hoyland – who both scored twice on their last outing – return to the wings.

Burleigh starts in the number 12 jersey and is partnered by the incoming Chris Dean in midfield.

Jason Tovey is the sole back to retain his spot in the side as he continues at stand-off. Sean Kennedy starts in the scrum-half berth, with Sam Hidalgo-Clyne moving to the bench.

Returning to the starting front-row alongside Nel is loosehead prop Rory Sutherland and hooker Ross Ford.

In the second-row, Fraser McKenzie makes way for Grant Gilchrist, who will captain the side, completing an all-Scotland international front-five.

Nasi Manu – who scored a hat-trick in last week’s victory over Timisoara Saracens – continues at number eight, with the incoming Magnus Bradbury and Watson slotting in at blindside and openside flanker respectively.

Newly-signed tighthead prop Felipe Arregui is set to make his Edinburgh Rugby debut if he is called upon from the bench.

Players unavailable due to injury: Nick Beavon (neck), Simon Berghan (foot), Anton Bresler (groin), Kevin Bryce (shoulder), Neil Cochrane (back), Alasdair Dickinson (hamstring), Will Helu (hamstring) and Duncan Weir (jaw)

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Harlequins in the European Rugby Challenge Cup at BT Murrayfield tomorrow (Saturday 15 October, kick-off 3.15pm) – live on BT Sport 2
15. Blair Kinghorn

14. Damien Hoyland
13. Chris Dean
12. Phil Burleigh
11. Tom Brown

10. Jason Tovey
9. Sean Kennedy

1. Rory Sutherland
2. Ross Ford
3. WP Nel
4. Ben Toolis
5. Grant Gilchrist CAPTAIN
6. Magnus Bradbury
7. Hamish Watson
8. Nasi Manu

Replacements

16. Stuart McInally
17. Allan Dell
18. Felipe Arregui
19. Fraser McKenzie
20. Viliame Mata
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22. Michael Allen
23. Glenn Bryce

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:24 am

No sign of Jacko, playing or on the bench either. This move to Quins is not working out well for him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 am

No news from Quins about Visser, so can't say if he's injured or not. Seems a strange time to rotate if that's what they are doing though.

Likewise it's odd to rush Evans straight back, his been repeatedly injured then brought straight back and starting each time, only to get injured again. And IMO his form doesn't warrant starting straight away, he should be on the bench.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am

And just as Swiel is getting some consistency too!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next