The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2, how do we want this to go?

+27
gaelgowfer
Diggers
Nay
barragan
sharrison01
beninho
JDandfries
KeizoYamata
Bob_the_Job
JAS
super_realist
kwinigolfer
oldparwin
Noshankingtonite
navyblueshorts
oldshanker
SmithersJones
liegerwoods
RocketAce
Doc
MustPuttBetter
LadyPutt
Adam D
Maverick
Davie
LondonJonnyO
McLaren
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

606v2, how do we want this to go? Empty 606v2, how do we want this to go?

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:00 pm

Davie mentioned on a thread that had gone a little of topic that there is no charter or mandate form the creators of this site pertaining to how it should be run and the content allowed. I propose that we discuss here how we would like the tone and content of the golf section to be set.

I think we would all agree that the old 606 was often a tough place to discuss the more delicate subjects such as tigers dodgy doctor or anything else that might make a lawyer jittery. At the same time the mods were not the best at keeping the topic golf related, a problem we may already be encountering 606v2.

I propose thee tone on 606v2 should be more serious with the emphasis on more detailed debates on golfing topics. At the same time anyone using the site should be made to feel confident in posting their opinions no matter how experienced they are or how often they use the site.
A slightly higher intellectual tone may be a way we can create a unique experience on 606v2 golf compared to other forums. This means resisting the urge to post very off topic posts or resorting to needless posts offering no more than pointless thought you had at that moment.
This does not mean to say we cannot have light hearted non hard core golf debates but these should be started separately and clearly labelled as of topic or OT in the article heading.

I think this debate will be crucial to the success of 606v2 golf as it will ensure there is a clear purpose to the forum. We should all place our thoughts and agreements/disagreements below.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

606v2, how do we want this to go? Empty Re: 606v2, how do we want this to go?

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

Mac.

If you do something like that it soon becomes a very dry forum where nothing of entertaining nature is ever said for fear of not conforming to your proposed 'rules'.

Personally I think that something like that is restrictive and pointless.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:09 pm

Just one small correction. I said that there is no rules or charter from the site admins yet

Personally, I think the tone here is just fine. It would turn into a very boring, sterile place if all we ever did was talk about highbrow golf-related subjects without a little topic drift.

Certainly there are other areas of the site where totally off-topic subjects should be discussed, but I see no harm in a little levity on a thread which was originally started about golfing subjects. Of course, it's down to the members to bring such threads back on topic if they stray too far away, but I for one don't want to have to judge where something goes too far off-topic.

Other people may have differing opinions and that's fine - this is the place to air them

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:09 pm

I think to many rules on how the forum should be can make it to uptight for many who want to discuss golf or related topics as they may wish to make a light hearted comment to help cool the tone of a debate or it could just be that a witty quip can kick start as good a debate as any well written articulate article can.

in my opinion if it's not broke don't fix it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

Although most of you stay within the confines of the gold section, the other posters out there are a good crack too.

There is a off topic section and a Naughty Nags Head section where humorous things can be discussed, although I have no problems where it is posted.

The advantage of doing it elsewhere, is that you will get others joining in as well.

I dont like the idea of too many rules, but should you want to set some up for the golf section and agree them by consensus, then Davie and Navy will no doubt go with the majority.

The only thing we ask is to respect the no images rule. And obviusly be courteous to each other. And no racial slurs unless its against the Irish.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:14 pm

I do not mean we need any rules as such just a concious effort from posters to tackle the debate and offer points related to the subject. For example mentioning what TV station your local uses is not moving forward the ideas and discussion of a golf debate. I am more interested in the tone than any rules. If we want some sort of frivolous internet chat go search some yahoo teen chat rooms.

If we create something of quality known as a place of interesting information and insights on golf this place could really grow.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:17 pm

Hobo wrote:The only thing we ask is to respect the no images rule. And obviusly be courteous to each other. And no racial slurs unless its against the Irish.

That's the second time you've said that and not included the surrender monkeys.

And Mac. I don't know what the problem is.

I mentioned something marginally entertaining in relation to the cheating scum of a Saltman and people took it and ran with it... Why you seem to think that all this is required as a result of that confuses me.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:21 pm

I agree with LJ and Mac. We don't want this place to become boring and sterile, as much as we don't want a load of WUMs and idiots around the time of the Majors and the Ryder Cup. I think we should wait and see how things develop for a bit longer. :friend:
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:22 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Hobo wrote:The only thing we ask is to respect the no images rule. And obviusly be courteous to each other. And no racial slurs unless its against the Irish.

That's the second time you've said that and not included the surrender monkeys.
And Mac. I don't know what the problem is.

I mentioned something marginally entertaining in relation to the cheating scum of a Saltman and people took it and ran with it... Why you seem to think that all this is required as a result of that confuses me.

Arh the french! Glass of wine and some cheese anyone.

Sorry couldn't help but lower the tone.

MAc understand what your getting at, but sometimes light hearted banter is wanted as well as in depth analysis, and often the 2 can happily go hand in hand

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

For example mentioning what TV station your local uses is not moving forward the ideas and discussion of a golf debate.

Would it have helped if the local was a golf club instead?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:28 pm

LJ

i have just noticed that most of the threads on here peter out after a few of topic comments.

Of course banter is welcome but of top priority when posting should be to think about and further the debate. We need to let the golf related conversations take the fore front. As ladyputt points out maybe this is a subject that will need revisited in the future.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:31 pm

I don't think we need any rules as such. Davie and the other mods seem to be quite present and on the ball so if anything gets out of hand they can easily be alerted.

As for the pub thing, gees - what's the problem exactly with that?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:32 pm

McLaren wrote:LJ

i have just noticed that most of the threads on here peter out after a few of topic comments.

Of course banter is welcome but of top priority when posting should be to think about and further the debate. We need to let the golf related conversations take the fore front. As ladyputt points out maybe this is a subject that will need revisited in the future.

This is true mac but then that could be partly down to the fact 606 is still live and a lot are double posting on here and on there so topics reman a little threadbare on response until such time their is one home of forum golf!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:34 pm

Seriously though, while on the topic of "how we want things to go" ...

The admins are very kindly letting us run this section of the site the way the majority of us want it (providing we follow the global site rules regarding avatars, signatures, images etc).

But when it comes to WUMs (for example), how do we wish to handle them?

From my experience of the old 606 golf place, we didn't get the same (bad) calibre of WUMs that perhaps the football sections got.

There is the likes of WalkerTexasRanger who comes in and posts silly one liners about like "how do you like your shafts" or other equally daft comments that he obviously has no interest in - but how do we decide this?

Would I be within my rights as mod to just remove a post like that? Or should the thread be left intact with a warning to the offender that we won't tolerate that sort of WUM? While I'm happy to do whatever the majority want, it wouldn't feel right to just remove or ban someone for being stupid.

Obviously if we get anything grossly offensive, racist, libelous or anything like that then it will be removed, but where do we draw the line? Would people like posts like that removed without censure?

Far more pressing questions (I feel) about the general tenor of the board that whether something is a little off topic or not)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:35 pm

McLaren wrote:LJ

That's true... but I think that's a problem more related to the fact that there isn't much going on at the moment... And that people are still posting on the bbc.

I think it's going to be this way until the 606 site makes a full demise and in the meantime the people who are posting on here have to keep things interesting and also light-hearted. I don't think that it needs revisiting, particularly as most people don't like to conform to rules imposed on an open forum, but rather something to just bear in mind.

All you can do at the moment is keep posting on both, refer users to this place from 606, and hope that the interaction continues.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:46 pm

One of the most anoying things about 606, especially on the football boards, were the number of new topics created about the same bit of breaking news. I appreciate that this can happen once if it's just happened and 2 posters were creating an article at the same time, but I've seen up to a dozen appear. Some were posted without even checking that the subject was done to death earlier. I also appreciate that this didn't happen too many times on the golf board, but if numbers grow on here, it may well do. So the mods should either cut and paste the article into the 'reply' section of the first post, or dump it. The 606 site didn't help themselves by not allowing a popular post to be put back near the top, whereas this site does as soon as anyone replys to a post.

Very few spats happen on this board, which is great as we seem to have a sensible bunch. Any spats that do blow up are usually over something that was taken out of context, or just 2 or 3 posters not ever going to agree about something or other. But on the whole its a good place to be and can be looked at again later, where we can propose to Hobo that we want something and see if a consensus can be reached.

Nothing wrong with banter, brevity, non-pc frivolity and if an interesting post is ambushed by a few going off-topic, it should be down to the topic poster to 'edit' the article and tell people to stay on topic - simples :joeybarton:

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Feb 2011, 4:55 pm

But when it comes to WUMs (for example), how do we wish to handle them?

Davie for me they should just be binned straight away. You can see from a particular post that its just a wum. You will probably see from any replies what people are thinking or failing that you as a mod will be alerted. In my opinion you just bin the post straight away, as soon as you feel its from a wum. There will of course be a time when you are alerted because a particular post has offended/upset an individual. The 606 mod would bin it out of hand, but I suggest you use your own judgement on this, and of course if more and more people alert you about a post, then I suggest you take it down as a consensus in all likeleyhood has been reached.

Its almost self policing :shooter:

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 09 Feb 2011, 5:07 pm

with regards to duplicate posts, i agree wholeheartedly.

Lock the thread, post a link to the first thread for all to see.

That way, everyone can see why and where to go if they had already replied.

This was one of my pet hates on 606.

As for banning, I think its a judgment call.

If someone makes a 'wum' comment, it may be a one off from a normal poster - banning them would be harsh. If its non stop wumming, definite ban.

There is also a temporary ban feature where we can suspend them for a while. Play it by ear is my stance.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Wed 09 Feb 2011, 5:35 pm

IMO this place needs to be as close to 606 as possible, however Wums, off-topic posts and duplicate posts need to be monitored because that was 606's downfall.

this place is already better than 606 for 4 reasons

1. no 3 min post restrctions
2. 24/7 access
3. off topic section and nags head for a laugh
4.private messaging

as regards rules. just obvious things like.... no spam and no abusive posts.

if anyone agrees or disagrees with my opinion please let me know

Last edited by Hobo on Wed 09 Feb 2011, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : or you can let one of the moderators know!)

RocketAce

http://twitter.com/#!/Kris_Saunders1

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Wed 09 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

i think the site is running well and i dont visit 606 golf much now.

as for the WUM.

I have a soft spot for the WUM !!! maybe because i post on 606 football(rangers fan for my sins) im more used to it.
what i would say is if a WUM wonders in and is having a pop because we are golfers then get shot off. but if i decided to have a go at tiger for his behaviour for example knowing that others on the site are big tiger fans then i think that is healthy.

long live the WUM !!!

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 09 Feb 2011, 5:57 pm

I think this place is pretty much spot on, the only thing I'd suggest is a 'report' button so that the mods can be alerted to any dubious posts.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Wed 09 Feb 2011, 6:15 pm

SmithersJones wrote:I think this place is pretty much spot on, the only thing I'd suggest is a 'report' button so that the mods can be alerted to any dubious posts.

yes a report button would be good

RocketAce

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Feb 2011, 8:22 pm

Hobo wrote:with regards to duplicate posts, i agree wholeheartedly.

Lock the thread, post a link to the first thread for all to see.

Mods also have the ability to merge threads (and split them for that matter)

If I see duplicate topics I fully intend to merge them rather than delete.

That way, the second (or third, fourth etc) person still gets to have their point heard on the subject, but no need to lock threads.

As for "report" there already is a link at the bottom right of every page.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 09 Feb 2011, 9:58 pm

If you cannot access the site while at work, it means that few contributors are on line at the same time, (billy no-mates that's me). This however, does make it difficult to have any sort of meaningful on topic correspondence as the answers come back tomorrow and I pick them up tomorrow night, by which time the thread has probably run its' course.

I have also just looked at the Nags head threads and well to be brutally honest, the 'off topic light hearted banter' does not really flow as it can on here or 606.

I do try to stay on topic when I contribute and if I stray, I will normally apologise to the OP for a bit of thread hijacking.

Hence, I would prefer this site to remain light hearted and free spirited, allowing me to respond in a like minded vein to the witticisms of posters such as LJ, Mav, D4S, TUC, Doc, NST et al should I wish to, or be more serious at times as well.

But this all could come to naught as I still cannot gain access at work and will not be able to, so when 606 closes down, I fear I will fade into the ether unless I can get LJ to take pity on me and organise another game. (ringers welcome)
Sad
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Feb 2011, 10:33 pm

Sorry guys I did not mean to sound like we needed a set of written rules or anything just clear goal for the forum. I just thought it would be useful to think about the direction this site goes in, especially when we really need to attract new members after 606 is gone. It is more like establishing a brand for the type of discussions we have and how the conversation goes. There will be many things that may attract or repel a possible contributor but the way the debates are presented and the tone they are discussed in will be the main factor.

This does not mean to say we suck the fun out of things but just that we consider the image of the site and what we want to achieve.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:17 am

oldshanker wrote:But this all could come to naught as I still cannot gain access at work and will not be able to, so when 606 closes down, I fear I will fade into the ether unless I can get LJ to take pity on me and organise another game. (ringers welcome)
Sad

The ringer is fading into golfing obscurity I'm afraid....

And I'm still in recovery... but once I'm back I think we could manage something. thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 10 Feb 2011, 12:33 pm

Davie - the button at the bottoms says "report abuse" rather than "alert mods". I think changing it to alert would encourage people to use it more. After all, sometimes it's not abuse as such, but just a WUM being annoying.

I agree with others about duplicate postings (such as during Majors or when big news breaks). They used to really annoy me on 606 and I often gave up bothering to look in for a while. Whereas I look here every day and I've even posted a couple of times on other sections.

And thanks for making the Fantasy League a "sticky". Can you do that every week so we can find it?

:love:
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 10 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Davie - the button at the bottoms says "report abuse" rather than "alert mods". I think changing it to alert would encourage people to use it more. After all, sometimes it's not abuse as such, but just a WUM being annoying.

I don't think we can change the wording of that link at the bottom - nor can we put in extra links (it is a "free" forum after all). I'd suggest that the link at the bottom is used or just look on the front page to see which admins/mods are online and send them a private message. Alternatively there is an "alert a moderator" thread in one of the top level forums.

LadyPutt wrote:
I agree with others about duplicate postings (such as during Majors or when big news breaks). They used to really annoy me on 606 and I often gave up bothering to look in for a while. Whereas I look here every day and I've even posted a couple of times on other sections.

That is one thing I hope to keep on top of (and hopefully NavyBlueShorts will too). Navy - if it's not obvious to you how to merge threads, drop me a private note and I'll talk you through it.

If a post is a direct duplicate with nothing worthwhile to say then I'll just remove it - otherwise I'll merge it into whichever thread was first created.

LadyPutt wrote:
And thanks for making the Fantasy League a "sticky". Can you do that every week so we can find it?
:love:

No problem. I'll try to keep all current posts "stuck" at the top for things like tournaments, fantasy threads etc. Once a tournament is over, or a round of the fantasy comp is completed, I'll unstick it.

Just give me a gentle reminder if I miss one!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:43 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Mac.

If you do something like that it soon becomes a very dry forum where nothing of entertaining nature is ever said for fear of not conforming to your proposed 'rules'.

Personally I think that something like that is restrictive and pointless.

Have to admit I tend to agree with LJ. If a post is off-topic it's perfectly fine for other posters to take the poster to task and/or subject them to withering putdowns/sarcasm. I hate the fact that the BBC 606 treats everyone by a lowest common denominator approach and doesn't allow anyone to really duke it out on the boards. Libel is one thing but the 606 Mods were way OTT with their sensitivities. I think most people currently active here are well capable of self-moderation with a decent sense of balance as to what's OK and what's not.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:45 pm

Davie wrote:...That is one thing I hope to keep on top of (and hopefully NavyBlueShorts will too). Navy - if it's not obvious to you how to merge threads, drop me a private note and I'll talk you through it...

May take you up on that Davie. Not been on enough last few days but completely snowed under at work and at home just now.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 10 Feb 2011, 11:46 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Davie wrote:...That is one thing I hope to keep on top of (and hopefully NavyBlueShorts will too). Navy - if it's not obvious to you how to merge threads, drop me a private note and I'll talk you through it...

May take you up on that Davie. Not been on enough last few days but completely snowed under at work and at home just now.

And to think I was about to call into question the need for a mod who is never about! Wink

No sour grapes at all! :606laugh:
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:02 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

And to think I was about to call into question the need for a mod who is never about! Wink

No sour grapes at all! :606laugh:

:606laugh: TBH, not a lot I've seen that needs to be modded.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 12 Feb 2011, 9:58 am

I really like this new site. I think the balance is perfect. There are hardly any WUMs on here at all which is just great. If we do go 'off piste' with a little banter on a friday afternoon, so what? As long as it doesn't start getting offensive and counter-productive it helps spice things up a bit. This site is far far better than the 606 one in terms of functionality, content depth. It's just a great pity that the likes of Kwini have not come over yet....
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:37 pm

I think this must be a British thing, as soon as something good happens, everyone wants to make rules to try and protect it.

I do not think we need rules, all we need is what we have already got, sensible people who love golf, expressing their opinions on golf in a sensible manner.

No Problem Very Happy

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:53 pm

oldparwin wrote:I think this must be a British thing, as soon as something good happens, everyone wants to make rules to try and protect it.

I do not think we need rules, all we need is what we have already got, sensible people who love golf, expressing their opinions on golf in a sensible manner.

No Problem Very Happy

Rules is possibly not the right word...more like guidelines, every forum needs guidelines or else it will run to rack and ruin

RocketAce

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:56 pm

siruis

Exactly, I was looking to establish a tone for the forum. This does not mean written rules but more a mindset from the users. I just think establishing this as somewhere with slightly highbrow feeling would be a good thing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:59 pm

WHY
If everyone keeps it sensable no need for anything else :lol:

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Do we wish to have another think about this article as recent events on the forum would suggest we should.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

McLaren wrote:...I propose thee tone on 606v2 should be more serious with the emphasis on more detailed debates on golfing topics. At the same time anyone using the site should be made to feel confident in posting their opinions no matter how experienced they are or how often they use the site.
A slightly higher intellectual tone may be a way we can create a unique experience on 606v2 golf compared to other forums. This means resisting the urge to post very off topic posts or resorting to needless posts offering no more than pointless thought you had at that moment.
This does not mean to say we cannot have light hearted non hard core golf debates but these should be started separately and clearly labelled as of topic or OT in the article heading...

I have to say that I pretty much disagree. If you don't like off topic threads and/or posts, ignore them. If a thread goes completely off target then there may be some need to get it back on track/close it etc but I don't see an issue with the odd jocular or barely related post on any given thread.
There have recently been, to my mind anyway, some irritating old 606-type pettyness issues around here but I'm not sure it's something I see as necessary to intervene in. One of the old 606 things I hated was the inability of their Mods to let things be sorted out by the posters themselves. You were never given a chance to put down the WUMs etc. I wouldn't want that to become an issue here.

"A slightly higher intellectual tone"??? It may create a "unique experience" but I submit to you, it'll be pretty dull a lot of the time. I like some of the detailed golf-geek discussion much of the time but it would be boring without some of the irreverant humour that often pops up here. "A slightly higher intellectual tone" sounds a bit supierior, looking-down-my-nose at simpler posting to me.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Glad to see LJ back on the air . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

We wouldn't want to turn it into The Guardian though Mac would we?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

I think this site kicks the old 606 site into touch for the reasons previously mentioned. I tend to go through phases of using it quite a bit then leaving it alone for a few days.

I do appreciate that everyone is entitled to their view and I do like a bit of banter and humour and the occasional off topic comment. To me this site in that respect is light years ahead of old Aunties boards.

However I do think there's a danger that out and out WUMs will spoil it for many. Not going to mention any names as I know there will be others with a different view of who is a wum and who isn't. That will be a judgement call by the mods in the best interests of the site. All I would say is that if we are going to tolerate them then we should also tolerate flame grilled responses to them (I admit to being guilty as charged on that one). I apologise if that spoils others enjoyment of the boards but people who insist on posting insensitive, provocative and offensive un-thought out drivel and are sllowed to do so, deserve to be ripped to shreds for their trouble. That's just the way I see it but if a majority disagree I'll just quietly depart and not bother returning.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo x 2)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:30 pm

As a relative noob here (24.. err.. now 25 posts), I might have a different perspective. What I see on this board is the same mix of interesting chat, informed debate, inane drivel, humorous banter, petty squabbling, meaningless arguing and premeditated winding up that I see on the other boards (not golf) than I am a member of.

It's a sort of evolutionary thing - as soon as a board matures enough to attract sensible members, it also grows a village idiot, an oaf and a slightly needy drunken uncle.

Trying to control the content of a board is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman herding cats. Personally I think it best to allow nature to take it's course - ignore those you think are spouting nonsense and eventually they will get bored and wander off. Lately, it seems to me, that too many people have been feeding the trolls, thus keeping them interested.

Before anyone points it out, I'm aware that my views are not unique and my suggestions not earth shattering, but I thought I would contribute my own tuppence. Cool

Oh.. for the avoidance of doubt, what I mean is, leave things as they are, mostly, and all the sensible people be just a bit more sensible.

Last edited by Bob_the_Job on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity...)
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

JAS wrote: That's just the way I see it but if a majority disagree I'll just quietly depart and not bother returning.

No need to leave JAS we like having you here. Dont let people ruin your enjoyment of the forum.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:
JAS wrote: That's just the way I see it but if a majority disagree I'll just quietly depart and not bother returning.

No need to leave JAS we like having you here. Dont let people ruin your enjoyment of the forum.

Oh, the irony. 🤦

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:...It's a sort of evolutionary thing - as soon as a board matures enough to attract sensible members, it also grows a village idiot, an oaf and a slightly needy drunken uncle.

Trying to control the content of a board is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman herding cats. Personally I think it best to allow nature to take it's course - ignore those you think are spouting nonsense and eventually they will get bored and wander off. Lately, it seems to me, that too many people have been feeding the trolls, thus keeping them interested...

Laugh Quality post Bob thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

For the first time I have actually considered that proper comedians may post here under pseudonyms...just to test out ideas!! Do we have Ricky Gervais's character from "the Office" in the house??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

JAS, The words "proper" and "comedian" do not sit well with the name "Ricky Gervais"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:37 pm

Ok "proper" may have been inappropriate....but I bet you knew what I was getting at Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

Come to think of it the word "Comedian" doesn't really fit with Gervais either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next