The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

+49
nathan
Heaf
Cumbrian
englishborn
Seagultaf
rosbif
Margin_Walker
prop_lyd
GunsGermsV2
munkian
uncle_nigel
Gooseberry
killer938
geoff999rugby
Dollar Bill
Bathman_in_London
B91212
ChequeredJersey
BigGee
wayne
LondonTiger
WELL-PAST-IT
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Recwatcher16
SirBurger
lostinwales
XR
Hazel Sapling
stnick88
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
whocares
beshocked
Fluxy
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
king_carlos
Cyril
BamBam
True Raven
HongKongCherry
mikey_dragon
Welly
propdavid_london
yappysnap
Bathite
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
53 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 8 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Oct 2016, 7:28 am

First topic message reminder :

Nit before the Lions tour. Don't think any of the All Black internationals will end their career pre tour.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I really like Skelton but Aus just don't seem to know how to utilise him best. Could be a great signing for both parties as Sarries will certainly look to get the best out of him.

If he ends up playing like the third Vunipola brother Chieka will be grinning from ear to ear.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by BigGee Tue 06 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm

If they can get another 10kg off him and really get him fit, then he could be some player. He will need to get fit to have any kind of impact on the artificial pitch.

At some point he will need to decide if he wants to be a 20 minute impact player or a proper international second row. He is still young enough to make the transition but needs to knuckle down. As has already been said though, we said the same thing about Mako 4 years ago and look at him now. He had to be banned from eating mum's home cooking! Being away from home may not do Skelton any harm either.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 07 Dec 2016, 11:23 am

lostinwales I agree that it won't be a quick fix.

I think Saracens would need more than a few months to get Skelton fully fit.

Plus Skelton needs to have the right attitude. If Skelton knuckles down, it could really improve him even if it's not long.

James Johnston was a similar case but Sarries were unable to improve his fitness.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 1:09 pm

Reid
Ford
Jesse Kriel

To Leicester Tigers

im bored

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Dec 2016, 1:34 pm

If only Welly. I'm a little unsure of us signing a 15 with Worth showing up so well. A utility back so he's still able to get game time would ideal. Kriel would do or a 10/15 if Bryant isn't staying.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 2:16 pm

Who's Reid?

Kriel is more of an outside centre, not a position youre really lacking.

Tigers could do with a few bruising forwards imo, get back to dominating sides.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 07 Dec 2016, 2:20 pm

And stay away from Kingston Park!!! No-one is leaving.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 2:24 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Who's Reid?

Kriel is more of an outside centre, not a position youre really lacking.

Tigers could do with a few bruising forwards imo, get back to dominating sides.

Meant read, Kriel is TBH a 15 and a 13 in equal measures.

I think in the pack we only lack a proper 8.

Genge
Mulipola
Youngs
Slater
Williams

Are hardly lightweights IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Dec 2016, 2:32 pm

I think the pack size is fine. They need to turn up the level of aggression, that's the only real problem. If Slater refinds his best form we have one of the best locks in England and he looks like he might be heading that way (it's taken some time). A big horrible number 8 is still required, shame Fearns didn't fancy it.

Kriel covers wing, 13 and 15 so would be a welcome addition. Clever player, can't imagine we're about to throw more money at the back division though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:45 pm

Agree Sam, its agression and physicality not size thats needed.

Kriel covers those positions but he's a 13 really. With Tuilagi and  JP youre more than covered.

I wouldnt call Youngs heavyweight of physical tbh, hes a poor set piece option.

1. Ayerza
2. McGuigan/new hooker (BdP?)
3. Cole
4. Slater
5. Kitchener/new lock (Romaro/J Gray/AWJ type)
6. Williams
7. New 7 (Brussow/Dusatoir/SOB)
8. New 8 (Read/Beaumont)

Not bad at all.....

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 07 Dec 2016, 4:32 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Agree Sam, its agression and physicality not size thats needed.

Kriel covers those positions but he's a 13 really. With Tuilagi and  JP youre more than covered.

1. Ayerza
3. Cole
4. Slater
6. Williams
8. New 8 (Read/Beaumont)

Not bad at all.....

Agreed not bad at all, but that is 4 top top players (and expensive ones) away from where they want to be. Unrealistic to sign all of them and I think any pack would be 'not bad at all' with those additions!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm

Tigers can afford it!

A few of those are quite old, i dont think theyll be too expensive.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Dec 2016, 4:45 pm

1. Ayerza
3. Cole
4. Slater
6. Williams
8. New 8 (Read/Beaumont)

Not bad at all.....

I think Kriel actually started at 15 and was then converted. When he made his international debut I remember him being talked about as a 15 that had been moved into the midfield.

McGuigan is down to third choice at the minute. Thacker is doing a good job and the two of them seem to be pushing each other which is good. Youngs is a decent all rounder. So not worried about hooker. Second row we have bountiful options, prop we're in a fairly good state but could do with a little recruitment as Ayerza is getting on and Cole and Mulipola are internationals.

Lock we have a selection of good options. Don't need anything there. Backrow we are ok in the flanks. Croft is capable of filling in to a good standard, Williams is a beast, BOC a decent seven, Evans a phenomenal young talent, McCaffery and Hamilton very good utility options across the backrow (McCaffery in attack Hamilton in defence). Just need a big horrible number eight who has a big work rate and plenty of physicality (Fred Tuilagi Jnr will fill the role in a couple of years time).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 5:09 pm

As an outsider, I don't rate any of your hookers apart from McGuigan who has bags of potential, a real area for improvement. Similar at 7/8, pretty average options for a team that should be challenging with the best. Lock is decent, think you could improve a bit on Kitchener.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 07 Dec 2016, 5:33 pm

I can see where you're coming from But the cap wouldn't allow us to upgrade so many players like that.

I would like to see us bring in a LH, Openside and Number 8.
Front row replace Rizzo, Balmain and Brugnara cap with experianced LH and Betts to cover TH.
Openside replace O'Connor and Croft (I love him but just don't feel like his game suits the League anymore esp with his injury rate) with an old experience 7 would love Brussow.
Number 8 use the cap from releasing Crane and Fonua (Who was on alot) and find a big thuggish 8 (Prob a Saffer)

That would be dream result, I do have question marks over Slater and Fitzgerald size at lock but Slater playing really well of late.

1) Genge, ?, Ayerza, Hills
2) Youngs, McGuigan, Thacker, Bateman
3) Cole, Mulipola, Cilliers, Betts
4) Slater, Fitzgerald, Wells
5) Kitchener, Barrow,
6) Williams, Hamilton
7) Brussow, Evans
8) ?, McCaffrey, Tuilagi

Backs i expect Tait to go he is on decent wage as he was basically off to france on the back of an excellent season. Would like to see us look to the Academy more in the backs since we have some promising ones in White, Yaywaywa and Simmons to help shave cap.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Dec 2016, 7:19 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:As an outsider, I don't rate any of your hookers apart from McGuigan who has bags of potential, a real area for improvement. Similar at 7/8, pretty average options for a team that should be challenging with the best. Lock is decent, think you could improve a bit on Kitchener.

Kitchener is routinely one of our best players and certainly one of the most consistent. He was one of the few to leave Glasgow who could actually say he wasn't complete $hite that night. He gets stuck in when things get spicy which not enough of our players do and he's awesome at the lineout. Surprisingly mobile for 19 stone as well.

We know you don't rate Youngs and Thacker but on form they are both ahead of McGuigan currently.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

Welly wrote: I can see where you're coming from But the cap wouldn't allow us to upgrade so many players like that.

I would like to see us bring in a LH, Openside and Number 8.
Front row replace Rizzo, Balmain and Brugnara cap with experianced LH and Betts to cover TH.
Openside replace O'Connor and Croft (I love him but just don't feel like his game suits the League anymore esp with his injury rate) with an old experience 7 would love Brussow.
Number 8 use the cap from releasing Crane and Fonua (Who was on alot) and find a big thuggish 8 (Prob a Saffer)

That would be dream result, I do have question marks over Slater and Fitzgerald size at lock but Slater playing really well of late.

1) Genge, ?, Ayerza, Hills
2) Youngs, McGuigan, Thacker, Bateman
3) Cole, Mulipola, Cilliers, Betts
4) Slater, Fitzgerald, Wells
5) Kitchener, Barrow,
6) Williams, Hamilton
7) Brussow, Evans
8) ?, McCaffrey, Tuilagi

Backs i expect Tait to go he is on decent wage as he was basically off to france on the back of an excellent season. Would like to see us look to the Academy more in the backs since we have some promising ones in White, Yaywaywa and Simmons to help shave cap.

I'm happy enough with BOC to be honest Welly. He does a decent job at seven and with Evans coming through we are ok there as Thacker is just as comfortable at 7. Having said that if BOC is out of contract in the summer and there is an option to replace him with a high quality player like Brussow or similar then I would take that.

Agree completely on 8 and using the youngsters to fill out the backs. Worth has shown that the academy players can step up and perform well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 07 Dec 2016, 11:57 pm

Denny Solomona to Sale.

It is being reported on the beeb. Yet another league winger (NZ/Samoan) Has a fantastic try scoring record too.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 08 Dec 2016, 9:44 am

lostinwales wrote:Denny Solomona to Sale.

It is being reported on the beeb. Yet another league winger (NZ/Samoan) Has a fantastic try scoring record too.

Castleford and the RFL are not very happy about him walking out on his contract. They have already brought the lawyers in. SBW got away with it didn't he? I can't see how they can stop someone leaving the sport, joining a competitor under the same governing umbrella yes but you can't force someone to play rugby league against their wishes.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 09 Dec 2016, 9:01 am

Tigers Apprently signing Tighthead Prop Luc Ducalcon according to a post on Shedweb.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 10:27 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Castleford and the RFL are not very happy about him walking out on his contract. They have already brought the lawyers in. SBW got away with it didn't he? I can't see how they can stop someone leaving the sport, joining a competitor under the same governing umbrella yes but you can't force someone to play rugby league against their wishes.

Depends if he has a contract signed or not.

If he does...it'll cost money.
If he doesn't...no issues.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 09 Dec 2016, 10:43 am

Welly wrote: Tigers Apprently signing Tighthead Prop Luc Ducalcon according to a post on Shedweb.

Mulipola concentrates on loosehead with Genge and Ayerza. Cole, Cilliers and Ducalcon at tighthead. Sounds good but I can't see it. We have a tendency to bid for French players that only use us to push the price up for their negotiations back home. Remember Teddy Thomas?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 11:07 am

Whats happened to Balmain...?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 09 Dec 2016, 11:11 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Whats happened to Balmain...?

Fell massively out of favour after he agreed to move to Gloucester for next season .

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 11:14 am

Ah I wasn't aware of that move!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 09 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

It was a little weird given how well he finished last season. Don't think he was that happy with us encouraging Bateman to switch to TH and signing Cilliers. Looked elsewhere, Cockers found out and he's had LV game time and that's it. Shame he's a decent tighthead that works hard round the field.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 09 Dec 2016, 12:18 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Depends if he has a contract signed or not.

If he does...it'll cost money.
If he doesn't...no issues.

Sounds like there was some kind of contract but its a different sport so sounds like its in a very grey area.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 09 Dec 2016, 12:27 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Whats happened to Balmain...?

Fell massively out of favour after he agreed to move to Gloucester for next season .

He actually fell out of favour end of last season, he had a great season the year before but last season he was so so and Tigers was looking elsewhere.

him not playing has nothing to done with going to Glous.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm

That's why we let him go....we knew Scotty was coming through to smash everything Whistle

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 09 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

Good signing Ducalcon, very underated

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 09 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

Never rated Balmain - Ducalcon is a step up

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 09 Dec 2016, 1:36 pm

Balmain is a talented prop who will keep getting better with game time. Maintaining his fitness levels during the summer and injury breaks has been an issue for the lad I believe.

In order to compete over a season in the Prem and Europe squads now realistically need 3 good options at LH and TH. The difficulty then is balancing game time between those 3 players.

That balancing act will always be easier with back ups who are later on in their career and usually less demanding about game time. Hence two guys such as Ducalon and Cilliers backing up Cole will be easier to manage. Especially when the coaches start wanting to give Ben Betts game time as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 10 Dec 2016, 1:34 pm

A rumour going mad in Glaws is that we've signed Val Rapava-Ruskin, which wold be a hell of a signing and a rare time when Sarries lose out on a player!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 10 Dec 2016, 2:48 pm

Glaws getting a billionaire owner changes a lot.

Another sugar daddy club.

Although I'm sure if he was going to be first choice LH at Sarries he would def go there, but he would be behind Vunipola.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 10 Dec 2016, 5:53 pm

1. Ayerza
3. Cole
4. Slater
6. Williams
8. New 8 (Read/Beaumont)

Not bad at all.....

Agree with everything.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 10 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:A rumour going mad in Glaws is that we've signed Val Rapava-Ruskin, which wold be a hell of a signing and a rare time when Sarries lose out on a player!

Half of the AP will have offered him a deal. I'm fairly sure Tigers will have.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 10 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm

Rapava-Ruskin will be up there with the signing of the season for who picks him up.

He's a terrific LH already and will only get better.

Plus rumours are that he has offers from France but is opting to stay in the Prem for the long haul so whoever gets him could have a top LH for the long run.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:11 am

Very interesting piece in the Times about the SRU's current review as to which of their 50-odd players they can afford to keep after their contracts expire in May and which they are going to struggle to hold onto for financial reasons.

Key players that they will struggle to hold onto with Jeff and Top14 clubs known to be circling are:

- Willem Nel
- Tommy Seymour
- Alex Dunbar
- Mark Bennett
- Josh Strauss
- John Hardie
- Hamish Watson
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:32 am

Wouldn't surprise me if Tigers are after Strauss.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:25 am

Would love for London Irish to be looking at a couple of them.  If we go up there will be a bit of strengthening required, and certainly Nel and Strauss would fit the bill.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:36 am

I wonder if Blackadder, with his Edinburgh links and Francois Louw with obvious SA links are talking to Nel. Bath are desperately short on competitive THs. Davey Wilson hasn't been replaced other than a short term contract for Shaun Knight who frankly is not a like for like standard.

Looks as though the SRU are shedding operating costs at their two franchises in order for them to look commercially viable - given that the Scottish clubs have voted to sell them.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:08 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Would love for London Irish to be looking at a couple of them.  If we go up there will be a bit of strengthening required, and certainly Nel and Strauss would fit the bill.

Strauss would be good, although Nel might be overkill if we are getting Du Plessis.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:19 am

Welly wrote: Wouldn't surprise me if Tigers are after Strauss.

Hope so. A return for Watson or bringing in Hardie would also be popular. Hardie is a bit more niggly and gritty on the flank, Watson might be a bit too similar to what we have coming through.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:23 am

SirBurger wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:Would love for London Irish to be looking at a couple of them.  If we go up there will be a bit of strengthening required, and certainly Nel and Strauss would fit the bill.

Strauss would be good, although Nel might be overkill if we are getting Du Plessis.
Can never have too many quality tightheads!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:07 am

Comes from a pretty solid source that Northampton and Harlequins are bidding back and forth for Hamish Watson.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:39 am

George Carlin wrote:Comes from a pretty solid source that Northampton and Harlequins are bidding back and forth for Hamish Watson.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Quins - Him and Charlie walker both went to Oakham in the same year and where in the same team and in Tigers academy together.
Saints - not sure why, they have Ludlam FFS use him.

Hope he goes Harlequins if he leaves as suits them more.

IMO Scotland should try and keep him and Bradbury together.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:43 am

Is Ludlam the 7?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:46 am

Apparently there are two young brothers at Sale - the Curry's who are 7's and look VERY interesting.

18yo and didn't one get 22 tackles last outing...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:48 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is Ludlam the 7?

Ludlam was the 7 that was nominated as player of the tornuments the year before Evans came in.

But hardly plays for saints.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:49 am

There look to be serious issues at Saints right now, and if as reported they spoke to Pat Lam then it seems clear that Mallinder's days are numbered.  With that sort of uncertainty I'm not sure why anyone would want to sign for them right now.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next