The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016

+66
doctor_grey
EST
LondonTiger
Cumbrian
HongKongCherry
TrailApe
maestegmafia
GLove39
AFewTooManyKnocks
Marshes
yappysnap
TJ
Rugby Fan
stevetynant
B91212
R!skysports
kingelderfield
westisbest
Geordie
Allty
RDW
nathan
TightHEAD
glamorganalun
wales606
wolfball
majesticimperialman
scrummy
Gwlad
exile jack
stub
lostinwales
Geen sport voor watjes
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
The Great Aukster
GavinDragon
Golden
rapidsnowman
Maine man
ChequeredJersey
thebandwagonsociety
BamBam
Pot Hale
brennomac
munkian
GunsGerms
eirebilly
rodders
profitius
theslosty
No9
No 7&1/2
George Carlin
emack2
Notch
Sin é
aucklandlaurie
marty2086
Don Alfonso
asoreleftshoulder
the-goon
SecretFly
Rory_Gallagher
Cyril
Not grey and not a ghost
70 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016 - Page 7 Empty NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016

Post by Not grey and not a ghost Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:50 am

First topic message reminder :

NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016 - Page 7 Irelan10       NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016 - Page 7 All_bl10
IRELAND v NEW ZEALAND
5 November 2016
15:00 CDT / 20:00 GMT
Soldier Field, Chicago, USA

Live on eir Sport and BT Sport

Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
Assistant Referees: Luke Pearce (England), Ben Whitehouse (Wales)
TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)

A. Head to Head

28 Played 28
0 Won 27
1 Drawn 1
27 Lost 0
310 Points 812

B. Recent Form

24 November 2013
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
22 – 24 to New Zealand

23 June 2012
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
60 – 0 to New Zealand

16 June 2012
Rugby League Park, Christchurch
22 – 19 to New Zealand

9 June 2012
Eden Park, Auckland
42 – 10 to New Zealand

20 November 2010
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
18 – 38 to New Zealand

C. Teams

NEW ZEALAND 

1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
5. Jerome Kaino
6. Liam Squire
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read – captain
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Ryan Crotty
13. George Moala
14. Waisake Naholo
15. Ben Smith

16. Codie Taylor
17. Ofa Tu’ungafasi
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Malakai Fekitoa

IRELAND

1 McGrath
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Ryan
5 Toner
6 Stander
7 Murphy
8 Heaslip
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 Zebo
12 Henshaw
13 Payne
14 Trimble
15 Kearney
16 Cronin
17 Healy
18 Bealham
19 Dillane
20 van der Flier
21 Marmion
22 Carbery
23 Ringrose

Last edited by Not grey and not a ghost on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 9:10 pm; edited 8 times in total

Not grey and not a ghost

Back to top Go down

NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016 - Page 7 Empty Re: NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 05 Nov 2016, 10:58 pm

I'm disappointed that I missed out on calling the result by one point. Wished I had made that bet now

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016 - Page 7 Empty Re: NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016

Post by marty2086 Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:03 pm

stevetynant wrote:Second time this year isn't it given the u20s at the World Cup. First win away in s Africa as well saint joe must never be allowed back to his homeland

And the women beat the Black Ferns in 2014

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:08 pm

Conor Murray, man of the match?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:09 pm

I always knew we would beat them some day. Soooooooooooooo happy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:18 pm

Did Ireland get at the NZ lineout or was it purely mistakes?

NZ have never really had to rely on their lineout to be dominant (like, say, SA used to) but it was very flaky tonight. Lots of throws to the back that went to no-one. Ireland mopped them up really well.

It really showed with NZ missing their first choice locks.

Leadership in general seemed a bit lacking for NZ. Read was whinging a lot.

All credit to Ireland to cause all this.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:21 pm

Well done Ireland!!!!!!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:24 pm

Great performance and great win. Honestly, went it went to 4 points with about 15 or 20 min to go I was fearing the worst but they showed some mental strength to regroup and come back again.

I can't single out any players but what a night for Joey Carbery. Makes his debut and gets a win against the ABs.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:24 pm

Wow,what a game.We let in a score on the first N.Z. attack ,then we let what should have been an insurmountable lead get back to only 4 points but we just kept going,that's seriously impressive.What a game,what a win.Also how good is the N.Z. attack,I thought our defense was exceptional today yet they still got 4 tries,just something else.

NZ v Ireland, Chicago, 4 November 2016 - Page 7 Untitl10

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:24 pm

Cyril wrote:Did Ireland get at the NZ lineout or was it purely mistakes?

NZ have never really had to rely on their lineout to be dominant (like, say, SA used to) but it was very flaky tonight. Lots of throws to the back that went to no-one. Ireland mopped them up really well.

NZ got away with quite a bit as well, dont think the ref was great and was in poor positions a lot. You think after his horror leg break he would pick his positions better

But they went in from the side a few times right in front of him, Stander was clotheslined off the ball again in front of him, the maul being pulled down before the Zebo try which should have been a penalty try and yellow and Moodys high tackle was after he gave a warning for constant infringements

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:37 pm

Is the Aviva stadium soundly constructed? I't may collapse under the weight of Irish pride if the All Blacks get thumped again.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:38 pm

marty2086 wrote:

NZ got away with quite a bit as well, dont think the ref was great and was in poor positions a lot. You think after his horror leg break he would pick his positions better

But they went in from the side a few times right in front of him, Stander was clotheslined off the ball again in front of him, the maul being pulled down before the Zebo try which should have been a penalty try and yellow and Moodys high tackle was after he gave a warning for constant infringements
No arguments about that at all. Ireland really got at them and caused more NZ errors than any other side have in a long time.

I was asking specifically about the lineouts though...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:40 pm

marty2086 wrote:

In fairness he missed a few of our boys going off our feet at the breakdown. Not great but missed quite a bit from both sides.

But who cares about the ref 40 to 29. All that matters

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:43 pm

Does this count as an away win for ireland?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:43 pm

profitius wrote:I can't single out any players but what a night for Joey Carbery. Makes his debut and gets a win against the ABs.

Took Rory Best 98 caps to get a win over the All Blacks, and Joey Carberry comes in and gets it first time Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:46 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Does this count as an away win for ireland?
I assume it's a neutral ground win. They gain 2 points in rankings and NZ lose 2 (I think).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:49 pm

I really expected this one would be lost the centre combination which was
working well.Dagg as second full back covering rested the Pack really
underpowered. To expect to get away with a 6 at lock and a rookie to
was too much.
2006/7 all over again sadly hopefully they will bounce back in Dublin

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:51 pm

emack2 wrote:I really expected this one would be lost the centre combination which was
working well.Dagg as second full back covering rested the Pack really
underpowered. To expect to get away with a 6 at lock and a rookie to
was too much.
2006/7 all over again sadly hopefully they will bounce back in Dublin
Will you be supporting England against SA, emack?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:52 pm

Cyril wrote:
I assume it's a neutral ground win. They gain 2 points in rankings and NZ lose 2 (I think).

Is that really all?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:54 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Is that really all?
If this thread is right:

https://www.606v2.com/t37299p700-world-rugby-rankings#3461399

I know! I wanted NZ to lose more too!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:03 am

I think NZ should have got a red card but glad they didnt cause its sweeter to win the way we did.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Not grey and not a ghost Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:16 am

Notch wrote:
Gwlad wrote:NZ Herald….not a word about the irish performance. Pretty poor show really.

Bring on the clowns….there have to be clowns…where are the clowns?

It's only been half an hour or something Smile

I think you'll see that the herald published multiple articles. One of which specifically highlights and acknowledges Irelands effort, along with the one you're talking about the impact of injuries selections. It's hardly surprising. Win or lose it was an article that could be largely written (or last sketched out) prior to the match. We lack depth in a number of positions. How we go on from here will be interesting.

Not grey and not a ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:21 am

Lads. For my money that is the greatest performance in Irish team sports history. Absolutely monumental performance to a man, and for me banishes the ghost of that 2013 game which has been hanging over any game we would have with the All Blacks. The mental resilience to weather the storm of NZ pressure in the second half, retake the initiative, and see that game out was nothing short of heroic. A couple of things before I go back to the pints:

- The tribute to Alex Foley was absolute class.
- Robbie Henshaw was an abrasive monster in defence, and a bull in attack.
- Joey Carberry showed incredible composure to come into that inferno and perform, particularly with his 1st touchfinder.
- I was absolutely wrong to question Rob Kearney's inclusion, he was brilliant. I hope it is a return to form for him.
- Conor Murray is the Lion's starting scrum-half, bar none.
- I have never seen the All Black's pack outplayed and out-muscled like that before.
- Joe Schmidt has probably secured a future NZ coach role for himself with that game. Hopefully not too soon.
- I'm on holiday in New Zealand in two weeks time, can't wait. Expect a backlash on the return leg in Dublin.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:22 am

Pot Hale wrote:Given Soldier Field is quite narrow and there's a wide concourse around the pitch, kicks should be aimed well enough so that throw-ins can't be taken quickly.    The New Zealand lineout should be tested early on to see how well they cope, and to see if their throw can be put under pressure.

Attacking out wide will likely bear little fruit, but in around the breakdown with quick hands and hard carries should pay some dividends and make distance.   Argentina did this quite successfully in their test.  Power plays against NZ in this area were quite effective for us before.

A patient controlling game that does not tire out players is what's needed to combat the forced pace from New Zealand.  I'd also think that replacements should be delayed by a few minutes longer so that the young, pacy bench can withstand the greater temp of the 55-75 high-scoring period.   And that Ireland can attack themselves.  

Could be an interesting match to see how respective tactics work out.

I've gone for a 1-5 point win for Ireland.

Dammit! Everything going as planned and then bloody Henshaw had to score.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:22 am

Not grey and not a ghost wrote:
Notch wrote:
Gwlad wrote:NZ Herald….not a word about the irish performance. Pretty poor show really.

I think you'll see that the herald published multiple articles. One of which specifically highlights and acknowledges Irelands effort, along with the one you're talking about the impact of injuries selections. It's hardly surprising. Win or lose it was an article that could be largely written (or last sketched out) prior to the match. We lack depth in a number of positions. How we go on from here will be interesting.
The NZ Herald is a rag. It doesn't represent NZ. Neither do the NZ 'fans' who accosted Aus fans during the recent Rugby Championship (according to Bob Dwyer et al).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Not grey and not a ghost Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:27 am

Cyril wrote:
Notch wrote:

The NZ Herald is a rag. It doesn't represent NZ. Neither do the NZ 'fans' who accosted Aus fans during the recent Rugby Championship (according to Bob Dwyer et al).

All papers that write on rugby are rags. Not sure the herald is worse than any other. Especially given their lead rugby writer (Gregor Paul) is British. Not sure what NZ fans have to do with this. Apparently Kiwi's at the match were good. Haven't heard from anyone complaining yet. Everyone I've talked to thinks the win is well deserved.

Not grey and not a ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:30 am

Cyril wrote:
Notch wrote:

All papers that write on rugby are rags. Not sure the herald is worse than any other. Especially given their lead rugby writer (Gregor Paul) is British. Not sure what NZ fans have to do with this. Apparently Kiwi's at the match were good. Haven't heard from anyone complaining yet. Everyone I've talked to thinks the win is well deserved.
Indeed. It appears NZ fans were well-behaved at this game ghosty. Long may in continue.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:30 am

People always say that New Zealand play 80 minutes of every match. However, they some times only come to life in the second half. Do they really play the full 80?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:33 am

GunsGerms wrote:People always say that New Zealand play 80 minutes of every match. However, they some times only come to life in the second half. Do they really play the full 80?
There are already 'illness' and 'bad food' rumours coming out of NZ networks.

When will they lose in a humble manner?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:36 am

Cyril wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:People always say that New Zealand play 80 minutes of every match. However, they some times only come to life in the second half. Do they really play the full 80?

Steve Hansen has, praised Ireland and said the ABs trained well and prepared well and Ireland were the better team

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:38 am

Gwlad wrote:Is the Aviva stadium soundly constructed? I't may collapse under the weight of Irish pride if the All Blacks get thumped again.

I think it as made during the construction boom, so I'd wager not! Sure I heard the skirting boards have been coming loose already. Cowboys they were Very Happy

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:40 am

marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Steve Hansen has, praised Ireland and said the ABs trained well and prepared well and Ireland were the better team
Yep, good for them Smile Unfortunately you can't do anything about the press or the more 'full on' fans. Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:43 am

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:43 am

carpet baboon wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

In fairness he missed a few of our boys going off our feet at the breakdown. Not great but missed quite a bit from both sides.

But who cares about the ref 40 to 29. All that matters

I agree it evened out with the end for decisions, NZ were did have worse discipline on this occasion. One thing I think the referee made a bad call on was the second NZ try, where they were looking if Smith's knee was in touch. The way he was angled and how closely the tackler was to the ground, if his knee was barely out of touch, his leg below the knee absolutely was, and because there wasn't a better angle he gave the try. But all's well that ends well!

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:46 am

The ref definitely favoured Ireland but that was what this day was about. It was all about an Ireland win. If NZ won US rugby would have gained nothing.

Well done Ireland!

Just kidding. Well done you crazy Irish bastards!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:48 am

For once NZ have nowt to complain about regarding refereeing. Run

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by AFewTooManyKnocks Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:59 am

Cyril wrote:

What are you on about? I'm over in NZ and every article is about how good Ireland were. There's not a single mention of sickness.

Enjoy what is a great moment without making up WUMMing b*llocks

AFewTooManyKnocks

Back to top Go down

Post by AFewTooManyKnocks Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:05 am

Ireland played one of the best halves of rugby I've seen in a while from anyone. Even though they were scoring tries it was their defense that really sticks out for me. Connor Murray was easily MoM.

Would be a great night to be in Chicago!

Last edited by AFewTooManyKnocks on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total

AFewTooManyKnocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:06 am

THAT Zebo catch

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:26 am

Chicago is wild. Everyone is in great spirits. Even the all blacks supporters to be fair. People saying with the Cubs win it's all about the 100 year curses ending. Mayo to win next

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:44 am

AFewTooManyKnocks wrote:
Cyril wrote:

What are you on about? I'm over in NZ and every article is about how good Ireland were. There's not a single mention of sickness.

Maybe the ref had food poisoning this time? thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 06 Nov 2016, 2:21 am

Just stayed up to re watch the game. We didnt just win we hammered them all over the park. However despite that they still scored 29 points. Replay in a couple of weeks is going to be tasty. Please Joe try to teach Rob Kearney how to tackle... angel

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 06 Nov 2016, 2:25 am

Tremendous resolve & result for Ireland.
Very jealous of the team & all their supporters.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 06 Nov 2016, 2:28 am

Just saw Steve Hansen and Kieran Reads post match interviews....both very classy.....we need to be very afraid for two weeks time...

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 06 Nov 2016, 4:36 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Given Soldier Field is quite narrow and there's a wide concourse around the pitch, kicks should be aimed well enough so that throw-ins can't be taken quickly.    The New Zealand lineout should be tested early on to see how well they cope, and to see if their throw can be put under pressure.

Attacking out wide will likely bear little fruit, but in around the breakdown with quick hands and hard carries should pay some dividends and make distance.   Argentina did this quite successfully in their test.  Power plays against NZ in this area were quite effective for us before.

A patient controlling game that does not tire out players is what's needed to combat the forced pace from New Zealand.  I'd also think that replacements should be delayed by a few minutes longer so that the young, pacy bench can withstand the greater temp of the 55-75 high-scoring period.   And that Ireland can attack themselves.  

Could be an interesting match to see how respective tactics work out.

I've gone for a 1-5 point win for Ireland.

Dammit!  Everything going as planned and then bloody Henshaw had to score.
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Nov 2016, 4:54 am

AFewTooManyKnocks wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Maybe you need to check your sources before commenting. Most of NZ press have huge issues with the result and the fans are absolutely raging with the officials. Really, really angry.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Nov 2016, 5:33 am

Cyril wrote:
AFewTooManyKnocks wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Maybe you need to check your sources before commenting. Most of NZ press have huge issues with the result and the fans are absolutely raging with the officials. Really, really angry.

Lol, you're stirring Cyril

The reality is, in NZ, I don't think a loss has ever been taken so well by the general public

There is an acknowledgment that Ireland thoroughly deserved the win and there is some happiness in seeing what this win has meant to them. Especially after the last game when we pinched it.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 06 Nov 2016, 6:33 am

Just got home after a 12 hour day, and have not seen the game, but obviously do know the result.

To Notch. Pot h, Billy. Fly, GG, Sine e, and all you other irish supporters I am pleased for you. you have been gracious over the many years that we have been on this site. Enjoy the moment, and Im sure it will be a long moment.

To paraphrase what I have been told of the game Ireland played better than the ABs, the ABs did not play well, and the result was most deservedly Irelands.

I did hear Grant Fox on Radio Sport this afternoon, he said they had done their usual week of preparation and training had not sprung any surprise issues.

Enjoy guys, I truely am pleased for you, I would buy you a beer but your too far away and I might spill it. This is good for Rugby too.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 06 Nov 2016, 7:10 am

“People will say ‘Oh, you were missing two locks,’ but we haven’t got any excuses. We were just beaten by a better side on the day. That happens when you play good sides. And we’ve been saying for quite some time they’re a good team.”

Hansen

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:00 am

Well done Ireland.

I lost my voice.

You were magic

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:12 am

Well played Ireland.clap clap clap clap

This must be the best win of Ireland's History.

Wish i could of seen the game;. but just seeing the result this morning was good enough.

Again very well played Ireland. guinness guinness guinness guinness

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next