The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

+51
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
Derbymanc
catchweight
BoxingFan88
Mad for Chelsea
Kareem61
Dylan1979
djlovesyou
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
qc2
lfc91
aja424
hogey
AZZJ44
rapidringsroad
Volcanicash
kingraf
wheelchair1991
mikeymax71
Lance
Dipper Brown
JabMachineMK2
Guest82
ShahenshahG
owen10ozzy
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
Haito
Valero's Conscience
Inventing Johnson Klute
TRUSSMAN66
Coxy001
Basset
Baby faced assassin
EX7EY
Rowley
Qoxiivi
melv500
sittingringside
88Chris05
Mochyn du
compelling and rich
horizontalhero
Jermaine2015
Herman Jaeger
Pedro147
Rodney
bhb001
Mr Bounce
55 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 14 Empty Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Rowley Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

I can’t let a fight as big as this weekend pass without a thread asking for folks thoughts. For me this is one of those odd fights that I am looking forward to enormously but suspect might well fail to ignite. I suspect intriguing rather than exciting may accurately describe it. Got to say since this has been announced I have been picking Ward. I rate both of them highly but just think Ward is a special talent, a lot more rounded and like Mayweather one with an exceptional ability to shut opponents down and neutralise them.

That being said Kovalev is no underdog or no hoper, this is a genuinely close fight, and one in which you can make an argument either way. Whilst people rightly wax lyrical about Kovalev’s power his boxing ability should not be underplayed, few since Jones have solved the numerous riddles Hopkins poses so effectively. Also he is a natural big hitting light heavy, something Ward has never faced, whilst his defence has always looked solid at super middle he is not completely unhittable. Froch had his moments where he was able to land, so one would assume Sergey will be able to do likewise. How Ward stands up to that is one of the big questions in this one.

Also whilst Ward is hardly an old man his career post Super six has had more stops and starts than me attempting to run a marathon. Being in the ring with Kovalev would not be a place I would want to be blowing off a dose of ring rust. Despite that, I still think Ward will be victorious, he is smart at tying up/holding on the inside and fast enough that he will score with plenty when the fight is at range. If the ref is pretty easy going when it comes to his holding inside, and thus far he has tended to get away with it, I think he will secure the win on points.

All of this almost certainly guarantees you can put your house on Kovalev, but irrespective of the outcome I cannot wait for this fight. A genuine talent moving up to take on the best the division above him has to offer, this is the sort of fight the sport needs more of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 14 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:The more you think about it the more you realise what a terrible decision it was

I had Ward winning... Others had Ward winning.

Get over it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 14 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:44 pm

Guess you must score heavily for fouls then..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Guess you must score heavily for fouls then..

It's what Boxing has referees for...

You can argue better than that..Herm

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:58 pm

https://youtu.be/6s9gQP0LDDw

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:04 pm

What a surprise to see Herman clinging to somebody else's argument.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Hall of Famer Carlos Palomino who picked Ward to win felt Kovalev won the fight

'Why?'

'My opinion I think Ward lost seven out of the twelve rounds'

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Hall of Famer Carlos Palomino who picked Ward to win felt Kovalev won the fight

'Why?'

End of argument then.... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:25 pm

I don't know what you're hoping to achieve with the constant quotes from ex boxers, I still saw what I saw.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Palomino isn't confident that the rematch takes place

Neither am I..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Hall of Famer Carlos Palomino who picked Ward to win felt Kovalev won the fight

'Why?'

If Palomino is a HOFer then Ward doesn't have to worry..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:54 pm

http://www.thefightcity.com/june-22-1979-duran-vs-palomino-roberto-duran-carlos-palomino-madison-square-garden-larry-holmes-benny-leonard-wilfred-benitez-sugar-ray-leonard/

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Palomino was a good fighter that lost to every top fighter he fought...

Posting meaningless articles ain't going to change that.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:00 pm

Why watch a fight when you can read about it instead.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:05 pm

These guys are trolling.

If Ward lost 7 rounds in someone's scorecard, that's fair enough. Many rounds were close and I had Ward win 7. At worst he wins only 6 and Kov wins due to the knockdown.

The result is slightly contentious, but it is not a robbery.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Palomino was a good fighter that lost to every top fighter he fought...

Don't rush in read between the lines one of the finest performances of Duran's career

That says something for the opponent surely..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Palomino was a good fighter that lost to every top fighter he fought...

Don't rush in read between the lines one of the finest performances of Duran's career

That says something for the opponent surely..

Not that important to me either way..Herman.

You're playing the Duran card because Carlos is otherwise unknown to you..

Fair play for hanging in there..

But I'm out..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Only mentioned Palomino because he appears in a video underneath one of those I dropped this morning giving his thoughts on the verdict

Smart arse..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not that important to me either way..Herman.

You're playing the Duran card because Carlos is otherwise unknown to you..

Fair play for hanging in there..

But I'm out..

Truss I don't believe he actually watches any boxing, all of his opinions (self proclaimed trolling) are just copies of other posters which he then finds articles online to supposedly back up. Bringing up boxers you've never heard of before is a bit pointless.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:58 pm

What you talking about now I saw Palomino on Happy Days

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:24 pm

When you see the quote in writing made Ward sound arrogant but in this video he doesn't come over arrogant at all. I don't think it should be too much of a problem getting the return done:

https://youtu.be/0bRpeN_d7Qk

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:25 pm

The crowd 'in Vegas' did not boo the decision for no reason.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Ahhh the famous lets ignore the judges and just go off what the crowd thinks.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Ahhh the famous lets ignore the judges and just go off what the crowd thinks.

It was a very Pro Ward crowd

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Ahhh the famous lets ignore the judges and just go off what the crowd thinks.

It's food for thought Einstein.

Anyway, ignoring the judges wouldn't be a bad thing when you take into account that two of them gave Ward R10.

Also, how a judge can give Ward every round 7-12 is beyond belief.

Organised criminal conspiracy

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Judges can be bought. Crowd on the other hand...

Time to wake up if you think judges have never been paid off

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:58 pm

your both bonkers and can't accept that your guy lost. Sour grapes of the highest kind really and very sad that fans have to make excuses for what was an extremely close fight

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:14 am

Derbymanc wrote:your both bonkers and can't accept that your guy lost. Sour grapes of the highest kind really and very sad that fans have to make excuses for what was an extremely close fight

I'm not even a Kov fan, but i know a fraud when I see one.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:49 am

So just to be clear then Dylan, as I hate all this reading between the lines stuff, fence sitting stuff. You think Kovalev won the fight?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:56 am

why not do something about it then Dyl, go to your local gym, get your coaching badges, work your way up until your the judge and then you can have your say, until then you can spout queensbury rules that mean nothing all you want.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:00 am

Dylan1979 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:your both bonkers and can't accept that your guy lost. Sour grapes of the highest kind really and very sad that fans have to make excuses for what was an extremely close fight

I'm not even a Kov fan.

I wish everyone was as neutral as you on the issue.... thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:57 am

I've been around long enough to know that sport across the globe is not what it used to be.

As soon as business mixes with sport, sport is well and truly fu***d.

Insider trading is not confined to the financial markets.

Protectors in Gov't and mainstream media covering up the dirty work of neo liberal mafia cartels.

I just choose to see it all for what it really is.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:05 pm

yeh, thank god the mafia never got involved in boxing in the good old days. Especially the neo-liberal ones. Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Dylan1979 wrote:I've been around long enough to know that sport across the globe is not what it used to be.

As soon as business mixes with sport, sport is well and truly fu***d.

Insider trading is not confined to the financial markets.

Protectors in Gov't and mainstream media covering up the dirty work of neo liberal mafia cartels.

I just choose to see it all for what it really is.

Lol.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:43 pm

This Ward hasn't lost a fight since the age of twelve thing doesn't quite have the same ring about it anymore

Unless he can win the return in decisive fashion

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:This Ward hasn't lost a fight since the age of twelve thing doesn't quite have the same ring about it anymore

Yep.....Moving on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:This Ward hasn't lost a fight since the age of twelve thing doesn't quite have the same ring about it anymore

He won that's all that really matters.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Yep.....Moving on..

If you want to move on why bother commenting, why not just leave it?

Seems you two maybe have a bee in your bonnet about it..

Not letting others have an opinion on it..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Ahh yes opinion, unfortunately Herman FACT says he hasn't lost since he was 12 :-) (btw I hope there is a rematch as think it could be another corker)

As I said Dyl, if your that passionate about it, work towards doing something about it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Yep.....Moving on..

If you want to move on why bother commenting, why not just leave it?

Seems you two maybe have a bee in your bonnet about it..

Not letting others have an opinion on it..

I'll debate you...You just make it hard with silly comments like that.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Hope you're not talking about your knob

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I am talking about a knob.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Who wins the return, Truss?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Who wins the return, Truss?

Who wins or actually wins Wink

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Lean towards Ward..Herman...Who knows what he's up against now...

Top fighters learn more from experiences....and he is a great fighter.

But then again If I was a gambler I'd be homeless..

You have the last word...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Will be interesting to see how the fight plays out with less holding you'd imagine they'll want a stricter ref next time

I imagine a lot will think Ward, being the boxer, will do better next time looking forward to it already

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Help me out here guys..

Ward being the boxer? Against Kov? GTFOH!!

Kov is a better boxer than Ward.

I can't for the life of me think how Ward can be described as a better boxer than Kov.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:26 pm

All things being equal, rematch should take place in Russia.

However, this is Andre Ward we're talking about...

Silly me.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Kovalev is well known for fighting in Russia isn't he having fought there a grand total of three times, don't worry though Dylan the result shows who the better boxer is.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:14 pm

The better boxer is kovalev

Not a contest

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 pm

If he was so good he would have won wouldn't he but he didn't therefore Ward IS the better boxer.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next