The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AJ vs Wlad - Who wins?

+27
spencerclarke
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Mr Bounce
EX7EY
LivinginItaly
ShahenshahG
TopHat24/7
Pedro147
mobilemaster8
Herman Jaeger
BoxingFan88
Happytravelling
milkyboy
Jermaine2015
Atila
rapidringsroad
catchweight
kingraf
horizontalhero
Guest82
rodders
monty junior
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
Mad for Chelsea
AdamT
Ronikara
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AJ vs Wlad - Who wins? Empty AJ vs Wlad - Who wins?

Post by Ronikara Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:17 am

So AJ finally steps up just like we all wanted in April. Question is who wins this superfight?

AJ will never have faced anyone with Wlad's jab, power or technique and for that reason, I think this could be a tough fight for AJ. But on the other hand, Wlad may struggle to hold and maul AJ in the way he is able to with most of his opponents and just like we saw in the Fury fight, its a different ball game for Wlad when he has to fight someone who is his own size. Of course AJ has the power but can he land on someone like Wlad who has good foot speed and technique. And if Wlad does throw a heavy right hand, can AJ take a clean shot from Wlad if he was wobbled by Dillian Whyte? So many questions with this fight. As a guy who has hated Wlads style for many years, I sincerely hope that AJ knocks him spark out and I think AJ will get to Wlad late on in this fight, but that's not a prediction I make with any real confidence.

The one thing about AJ is while he attacks on the front foot, he is always looking to counter anything that comes back at him and that's where Wlad might find himself in difficulty. So that's my view, AJ wins by late stoppage. What do you think? Who wins and how? I'm starting to get excited about 2017 now. Groves will finally pick up a title, Haye will knock Tony Bell end spark out, Degale will beat Jack and then have a 50-50 with Callum Smith, Frampton vs Santa Cruz the rematch. Hopefully a much better year to look forward to!

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

AJ vs Wlad - Who wins? Empty Re: AJ vs Wlad - Who wins?

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:36 am

AJ might of lost to Wlad if he was in his prime.

Wlad is too inactive and I think possibly gunshy.

The fight will go either two ways. Aj goes for the jugular early and bombs Wlad out.

Or he takes his time and wins rounds from being the busier fighter. As each round passes and Aj grows in confidence, he will then take Wlad out around the 8th or 9th.

Wlad won't win.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:44 am

I know that Joshua hasn't fought the best opposition to date, but it is clear that he has massive power. We know Wlad doesn't have the best chin, so if Joshua lands you fancy him to get the KO. Therefore, for me this fight boils down to whether
a) Wlad can keep Joshua away from him for 12 rounds, or
b) Wlad can knock Joshua out.

As others have said, Wlad is rather a safety first fighter, so it's unlikely he'll go into the fight looking to blast AJ out of there. AJ was hurt by Whyte, but recovered OK, and it's hard to get a proper feel for how good his chin is.

Fancy Joshua by KO, somewhere in the middle rounds.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:45 am

It's a tough one to call, although Joshua looked to have come on a bit on Saturday (from as much as you could gauge seeing him fight a human punch bag in any case).

Wlad can win this one. He'll be terrified early and so I imagine the jab and grab will be in overdrive in an attempt to take Joshua into the fight's second half.

The matchmaking has been terrible thus far (on behalf of Joshua). There's a real danger he could come unstuck against a veteran spoiler who carries some serious firepower himself.

Good fight, though, and credit to both for taking it (they really didn't have to).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:51 am

hazharrison wrote:It's a tough one to call, although Joshua looked to have come on a bit on Saturday (from as much as you could gauge seeing him fight a human punch bag in any case).

Wlad can win this one. He'll be terrified early and so I imagine the jab and grab will be in overdrive in an attempt to take Joshua into the fight's second half.

The matchmaking has been terrible thus far (on behalf of Joshua). There's a real danger he could come unstuck against a veteran spoiler who carries some serious firepower himself.

Good fight, though, and credit to both for taking it (they really didn't have to).

If Wlad was in his prime, I would probably back him. As good as Fury was, Wlad did not throw anything. Yes I know Fury moved well and was awkward. But Wlad had his chances to punch and he didn't.

I honestly think this is a perfect time for AJ to win. Wlad will turn up for a pay day and his jab and grab will not work. It's not Germany and Joshua will have the strength to push him back. I never like to dismiss a fighter, especially someone of Wlad's calibre. However I really can't see him winning. He won't turn the clock back. He is an old man and it showed against Tyson.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 12 Dec 2016, 12:07 pm

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:It's a tough one to call, although Joshua looked to have come on a bit on Saturday (from as much as you could gauge seeing him fight a human punch bag in any case).

If Wlad was in his prime, I would probably back him. As good as Fury was, Wlad did not throw anything. Yes I know Fury moved well and was awkward. But Wlad had his chances to punch and he didn't.

I honestly think this is a perfect time for AJ to win. Wlad will turn up for a pay day and his jab and grab will not work. It's not Germany and Joshua will have the strength to push him back. I never like to dismiss a fighter, especially someone of Wlad's calibre. However I really can't see him winning. He won't turn the clock back. He is an old man and it showed against Tyson.

Yeah, few people feel he's slowed and can't pull the trigger. I think that was all down to Fury. The lay-off won't have helped and AJ is his worst nightmare but I think Wlad has a chance here. Joshua is a straight up fighter who doesn't move his head much (and is a tad one-dimesnional).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Mon 12 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

Adam, I don't think this fight will be as easy for AJ as you think. As Haz said, part of the reason Wlad didn't pull the trigger was Fury's movement which confused him. AJ is far more one dimensional and straightforward by comparison to figure out. I still think AJ will have enough to win, but it will be close and he will definitely have to come through some sticky moments.

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 12 Dec 2016, 12:27 pm

To be honest I think AJ's power will befuddle Wlad far more than Fury's movement, he'll be petrified in there, watch the Haye fight and you'll see his reluctance to do anything other than Jab/Grab, threw virtually no right hands.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:To be honest I think AJ's power will befuddle Wlad far more than Fury's movement, he'll be petrified in there, watch the Haye fight and you'll see his reluctance to do anything other than Jab/Grab, threw virtually no right hands.

Yep!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:27 pm

Wlad was poor in the Jennings fight too, he'll be 41 by the time they fight i think and wont have fought for 18 months. This will be one of those torch passing moments probably, i think Wlad should have retired. Joshua is strong and in his physical peak, unless he gets countered he should win in the later rounds.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:31 pm

monty junior wrote:Wlad was poor in the Jennings fight too, he'll be 41 by the time they fight i think and wont have fought for 18 months. This will be one of those torch passing moments probably, i think Wlad should have retired. Joshua is strong and in his physical peak, unless he gets countered he should win in the later rounds.

I think AJ will beat him to a pulp. He is most likely improving every day and Wlad is only getting worse. This is Joshua's time to become the biggest man (not just literally) in the sport. Forget Lomachenko, Forget Ward, forget GGG. AJ will be the next superstar in the sport. A heavyweight that looks good and knock everybody out is exactly what the sport needs.

Joshua will be the face of boxing by this time next year.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:37 pm

AdamT wrote:
I think AJ will beat him to a pulp.

Me too. Seeing them side by side AJ looked physically the much bigger of the 2.

I also think Hearn doesn't take this fight unless he knows it is a sure thing and Wlad is shot... AJ KO's Klitchsko within 2 rounds and sets up another easy fight with David Haye, who'll walk though Bellew, in the summer.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:43 pm

rodders wrote:
AdamT wrote:

I also think Hearn doesn't take this fight unless he knows it is a sure thing and Wlad is shot...  AJ KO's Klitchsko within 2 rounds and sets up another easy fight with David Haye, who'll walk though Bellew, in the summer.

Completely disagree. If we are getting to the stage where we think that Wlad and Haye are easy fights then we really have fallen for the hype. AJ is still largely untested. Wlad has been beaten once in the last 10 years by a guy with a style that Joshua can't emulate because he doesn't have the same movement. These are risky fights for AJ. Unlike Molina which was a joke, but still his highest ranked opponent to date. AJ may go on to win against Wlad and Haye, but if he does, he will have got through two really 50-50 contests and would deserve the credit rather than just writing Wlad and Haye off as easy nights.

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:47 pm

Can literally see any outcome here.

If pushed I would say Joshua by late KO. But really not sure.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:51 pm

Ronikara wrote:
rodders wrote:
AdamT wrote:

I also think Hearn doesn't take this fight unless he knows it is a sure thing and Wlad is shot...  AJ KO's Klitchsko within 2 rounds and sets up another easy fight with David Haye, who'll walk though Bellew, in the summer.

Completely disagree. If we are getting to the stage where we think that Wlad and Haye are easy fights then we really have fallen for the hype. AJ is still largely untested. Wlad has been beaten once in the last 10 years by a guy with a style that Joshua can't emulate because he doesn't have the same movement. These are risky fights for AJ. Unlike Molina which was a joke, but still his highest ranked opponent to date. AJ may go on to win against Wlad and Haye, but if he does, he will have got through two really 50-50 contests and would deserve the credit rather than just writing Wlad and Haye off as easy nights.

There is not much for him to fight. If he walks through Wlad - he lost to Fury, is 41 and has been inactive for 18 months. Haye - hasn't fought anyone of note since Chisora about five years ago.

I actually think Fury or Wilder are the only ones he would get massive credit for. I actually think Haye only came back for the money involved in the Joshua matchup.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:55 pm

Not much to add regarding AJ v. Wlad, except that I'm not too worried about AJs chin, yes he was buzzed by Whyte, but he wasn't in any real trouble- I was more concerned about Haye's chin when he fought Wlad, but he was able to absorb what he got hit with, and with a 41 year old Wlad, it's more likely to be the odd single shot then frequent combinations. I think the AJ should win a 70:30 fight, and then set up a 60:40 fight with Haye.
What I don't see is Smith v Degale as being 50:50, or in fact Smith v Groves as a 50:50. Take away his punching power and Smith's looks more like a good European level fight than a world class SMW. Would pick both Degale and Groves to beat him with something to spare.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:58 pm

Aj will win with a bit to spare.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:19 pm

Horizontal, that's an interesting pick regarding smith. I'd back him to beat Degale...

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:11 pm

I think that Degale will be too slick and have too much punch variety, and ring generalship for Smith. Take away his punch (and that is a bit of a caveat- he definitely has a get of jail shot in his locker) and I see a fairly average performer.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:15 pm

Wladimir had to postpone the first Fury fight with what I think was a calf injury. Then he lost. Then he got messed around by Fury due Fury's mental health/substance abuse. Then he missed out on a cash and belt grab against Browne due to another injury. So a 41-year old coming off a defeat and two injuries in two years, as well as no fight in 18 months...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:28 pm

Ronikara wrote:
rodders wrote:
AdamT wrote:

I agree. Joshua's best win is Dillian Whyte. Wlad is a big step up from that.

Wlad obviously fancies the job and had AJ over for sparring to scout him (saying that, they did the same with Fury).

Maybe AJ sparks him Foreman style - he has the power and physicality but it's a 50-50 fight for me.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:09 pm

I find it difficult to call with so many unknown quantities. If Klitschko was petrified of Joshua, I dont see him taking the fight. Hes had a long career, he has money and if he needed more there are easier fights out there he cn mke easy money fighting in large venues in Germany. I dont think Klitschko was petrified of Haye either, although the build up took on this narrative via Hayes bravado and boasts. Actually when they got in the ring in was Haye who looked petrified. Klitschko is just a formulaic boxer who seldom commits to big shots unless set up with his jab. Boxers who moved around a lot like Fury and Haye reduced his punch output. I hope so anyway as a cowering Klitschko will make for a damp squib.

The step up in class for Joshua combined with a style of boxer he has never faced makes calling it really difficult. Especially as Klitschko will also be coming off a long lay of and will be fighting for maybe the only time in a properly hostile setting. It will also be interesting to see how Joshu approaches the fight. I think the higher the tempo, the more punches thrown and the more action a fight he makes it, the better chance he gives himself. You can aready say for sure that Klitschko will adopt his usual style and I think a slower, tactical and patient approach from Joshua would favour Klitschko more.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:13 pm

One thing that hasn't been tested is Joshua's stamina.Wlad has gone the distance many times and is always well prepared.I wouldn't write him off yet,I think he is the toughest opponent out there for Joshua and if he comes out of the fight the winner he can call himself the World Champion.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:23 pm

I too think AJ would have lost to Klitschko if Klitschko was in his prime, but that's not 100% fair to AJ as I don't think he's in his prime and as he's only had 18 fights.

Time will tell as to how good AJ will be. I know he's a "world champ" but after only 18 fights, he's still learning.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm

Wlad wins by wide decision

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:53 pm

Wlad seems to be proving the old adage that fighter are more highly thought of once they retire, even though he's only been inactive for a year or so. For years he was slated as being a boring hit and hold merchant that would crumple the next time he faced a live , straight puncher. AJ may well shatter those rose tinted specs.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:26 pm

I can't call this with any conviction. Age and inactivity for wlad tip me to AJ but it's a significant step up in class. Joshua has fairly fast hands and a nice variety of shots for a guy his size, but does he have the answer to the jab and grab? Haye was a hard hitting heavy with fast hands and his pot-shotting had zero success. AJ will come with way more ambition and let his hands go, but he may leave himself open... for me this fight hinges just as much on how AJ copes with what wlad brings offensively. This we just don't know. Only whyte of Joshua's previous opponents came with any real ambition and he was gassed after 3 rounds.

As catchy says, it's hard to see why klitschko needs this, if he doesn't really fancy his chances. There are alternative pay days. Doesn't make him right though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:47 pm

Sorry, what is this BS that wlad is 'gun shy'?

He was scared to throw a punch cos he knew fury could counter him. That is it. Pure and simple.

He didn't have the reach to keep fury at distance and fury moved so he couldn't tie him up. Left wlad in a quandary he couldn't crack. He had to commit to get to fury. To do that he would have to take a risk.

AJ by KO. It's possible wlad might be wily enough to tie an inexperienced AJ up or KO him but I think AJ's reach and power will mean wlad will get caught and go down at some point.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 13 Dec 2016, 7:57 am

I thought that being scared to throw a punch cos you know you might be countered was the definition of being 'gun shy'.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 13 Dec 2016, 7:58 am

... being wary of letting your hands go for fear of being countered? Wouldnt that be one definition of  gunshy?

Wlad re-engineered his fighting style under steward  to protect his chin and has been circumspect in letting his hands go ever since. Whether that's gunshy or just fighting to a plan is open to interpretation. He certainly hasn't suddenly got gunshy overnight, fury was a puzzle he couldn't solve and he wasn't able/willing to have a plan B. Is that part down to him losing a step? He looks slower to me in his later fights. Is he suddenly fighting scared? No moreso than for the last 10+ years.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 13 Dec 2016, 8:02 am

Wlad was gun shy because of what Fury was doing

Maybe Joshua will be able to do something similar, or maybe he will be a standing target

All find out in April

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 13 Dec 2016, 8:08 am

That horizontal hero guy is just too quick on the draw for me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 13 Dec 2016, 8:18 am

He was a pain to deal with and a control freak but dodged no one you can say that for Wlad

Intriguing fight I think Wlad could put his heart and soul into this one if he's back on his game maybe could have too much experience for the younger man who knows

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 13 Dec 2016, 9:44 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:Wlad was gun shy because of what Fury was doing

, Maybe Joshua will be able to do something similar, or maybe he will be a standing target

All find out in April

Seems like a few different interpretations of gunshy. Gunshy is funnily enough a fear of guns, in boxing, to me it means fear of getting hit... which often manifests itself in a fear of letting your hands go, because it leaves you vulnerable to counters.

So, fury's movement may have made wlad appear gunshy because he couldn't get his shots off. Some have said that fury being bigger than him might have intimidated him, or his lunatic behaviour.  It's possible but to me it was just a ring puzzle that wlad couldn't solve. It's not like fury is a fearsome ko beast. Wlad needed a plan b... probably one that involved letting his hands go and wouldn't/couldn't do it (although he had a go in the 12th). I personally don't buy that wlad was suddenly gunshy against fury, it was a set of circumstances that highlighted that he couldn't adapt if his strategy was nullified.

You can fight to protect a weak chin without necessarily being gunshy. Wlad has  either been gunshy for 10+ years or he isn't at all depending on how you view his fight strategy. Probably only he knows for sure.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 13 Dec 2016, 9:50 am

milkyboy wrote:

, Maybe Joshua will be able to do something similar, or maybe he will be a standing target

All find out in April

Seems like a few different interpretations of gunshy. Gunshy is funnily enough a fear of guns, in boxing, to me it means fear of getting hit... which often manifests itself in a fear of letting your hands go, because it leaves you vulnerable to counters.

So, fury's movement may have made wlad appear gunshy because he couldn't get his shots off. Some have said that fury being bigger than him might have intimidated him, or his lunatic behaviour.  It's possible but to me it was just a ring puzzle that wlad couldn't solve. It's not like fury is a fearsome ko beast. Wlad needed a plan b... probably one that involved letting his hands go and wouldn't/couldn't do it (although he had a go in the 12th). I personally don't buy that wlad was suddenly gunshy against fury, it was a set of circumstances that highlighted that he couldn't adapt if his strategy was nullified.

You can fight to protect a weak chin without necessarily being gunshy. Wlad has  either been gunshy for 10+ years or he isn't at all depending on how you view his fight strategy. Probably only he knows for sure.

Genuinely disagree. I think we witnessed something similar to Froch vs Groves where the champion thought it would be a walkover then very quickly found out they were mistaken. Rematch Fury would have gotten smashed im certain of it. Depends on how much Wlad has left and how hungry he is. He is taking a massive risk coming over here and fighting a monster puncher. Does he know something we dont? Who knows. He is confident lets put it that way. Wont be fazed by the situation, could make his legacy slightly better as well. Im a fan of K Bros, would love to go to this fight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:15 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

All find out in April

Genuinely disagree. I think we witnessed something similar to Froch vs Groves where the champion thought it would be a walkover then very quickly found out they were mistaken.  Rematch Fury would have gotten smashed im certain of it. Depends on how much Wlad has left and how hungry he is. He is taking a massive risk coming over here and fighting a monster puncher. Does he know something we dont? Who knows. He is confident lets put it that way. Wont be fazed by the situation, could make his legacy slightly better as well. Im a fan of K Bros, would love to go to this fight.

According to Eddie Hearn it's already sold out, even before the tickets go on sale, a new record. Tickets are only available for 5 pounds of flesh on StubHub.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 13 Dec 2016, 1:41 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yeh wouldn't surprise me mate!

Not been able get tickets to a "big" fight since watching Amir Khan a few years back (2009 i think?).

Got to watch Froch vs Bute thanks to eBay. Brought 2 tickets for £150 - face value from Hearn of £40 each. Ripped off. Fab.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Dec 2016, 2:40 pm

Assuming that's just a joke. Eddie will do like he did for Froch - albeit 90k this time at Wembley I've heard.

Would love to see Froch's face once that's confirmed!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 13 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm

milkyboy wrote:

All find out in April

Agreed. Two fight's prior to fury, Wlad responded to being hustled around by turning Pulev into Fallev and he was breathing quiet heavily after 4 or 5 rounds. I think Wlad struggling to chase around Jennings probably set the stage for Fury's strategy, just an ageing very heavy fighter with several injuries to his legs unable to keep up with a young fairly clever fighter who fought in a different manner to what was expected. Joshua Wlad has no real blueprint so will be worth watching from dubious sources.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Dec 2016, 5:51 pm

If it was the Wlad of five/six years ago I wouldn't give AJ a prayer but Wlad is gonna be 41 and inactive for 18 months. He's not going to go out his shield and have a Hagler/Hearns type slugfest so I predict AJ breaks him down after around 7/8 rounds.

Just to play Devil's Avocado(!), I'd love to see Wlad beat AJ just to wipe the smile off Eddie's face.

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Wed 14 Dec 2016, 8:29 am

For me the fight will finish inside 7 with a Ko. Could be AJ could be Vlad. Whoever lands the first big clean shot will take control of the fight and finish the opponent. However the first few rounds will be very cagey and boring, with neither fighter wanting to leave themselves open to a big punch.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 14 Dec 2016, 9:39 am

It's a whoever lands first kind of a fight..

Which obviously makes it edge of the seat

Be good if it does 90,000

The surprise would be a twelve round stinker...

Loser to retire if it's brutal..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 14 Dec 2016, 10:29 am

Can't see AJ losing regardless of the result. Can still claim 'green' and try rebuild. Should be good enough to take out most others in the division....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 14 Dec 2016, 10:46 am

If Wlad loses in whatever fashion  he retires, Joshua can come again

Is this a retirement fund fight for Wlad and will he look to survive in a stinker?

He's too proud for that surely this actually could be the defining fight of his career and how he's remembered in history for all time. He badly badly won't want to lose this fight. Difference between respect doors being opened for him the rest of his life and being remembered as the fighter who ruled the weakest era ever in the heavyweight division

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Wed 14 Dec 2016, 11:03 am

I'm really trying to understand Wlads motivation for this fight. He'll be 41, inactive for 18 months since losing his titles and he surely cannot need the money. So why bother?

I know going out on a loss is not something any fighter probably wants to do, but surely going out flat on your back in front of 90,000 people all screaming for AJ isn't a great way to retire either?

Wlad has dominated the division for a decade. Say he beats AJ, what then? Retire with a portion of the championship or fight on, and for what reason?!

As for who wins, if Wlad has anything left then who knows. If it's a ghost of Wlad then you have to say AJ. It's so hard because AJ has literally not been tested. David Haye talks absolute rubbish half the time but he keeps saying, how does AJ copwe with someone that can actually box, actually move, and actually ask some questions of him, and he's right.

It's either AJ by KO or Wlad on points for me. Wlad can KO him IMO but it's whether he will be prepared to commit himself in order to land the punch.

Hopefully it will be a good fight and at least it's not AJ Vs 'insert stiff' again.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 14 Dec 2016, 11:15 am

Would like Joshua to had better preparation for this to be honest could backfire on him time will tell but Eddie's an inexperienced promoter maybe it'll look like a genius move when all is said and done

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 14 Dec 2016, 2:00 pm

Even if Joshua were to go down like like a lead balloon though Eddie Hearn's has done his job his fighter will probably make enough out of this fight to retire secure for the rest of his life

And David Hayes will be praying for a Joshua win I don't think Wlad gives him a rematch

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:25 pm

I have a funny feeling that this fight will be along a similar vein to Tyson against Holmes - the established former champion against the young current champion who's knocked everyone out. Now obviously Joshua hasn't achieved a fraction of what Mike had done by the time that fight came around, but the basic scenario is the same.

I think that Wlad (certainly based on his previous 2 showings) is not a patch on his old dominant self and has always been wary of a big punch. I can actually see him getting KO'd comprehensively in this fight. I also reckon that even if he does win (which I consider extremely unlikely), he will retire anyway. I think Joshua knocks him down early and finishes him off by the end of the 5th.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:54 pm

Joshua provisionally a warm favourite with the bookies. 4/9. You can get Klitschko almost at 2/1. I coudnt back Joshua at those odds. Klitschko @ 2/1 seems the better value.

I think the fight will be tentative. Joshua has been pretty measured in his last couple of fights and Klitschko doesnt leave many openings.

Maybe it goes like Lewis v Bruno? Klitschko's regimented approach having the better of the jabbing exchanges over the first part of the fight before Joshua lands a big one that turns it around?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 16 Dec 2016, 1:16 am

They're both very similar in as much as they both come forward in straight lines with very little lateral or head movement.

We know wlad doesnt have a great chin and I doubt it's improved over time

We have no real idea if AJ can take a shot. Other than Whyte no one's really hit him.

Wlad is highly unlikely to turtle up into his shell like 99% of AJs previous opponents. Can't see AJ being phased but Wlads jab could keep him away.

It could very well come down to whoever lands the first decent punch. Whoever does could rock the other man and go in for the kill.

It's an interesting fight but I feel AJ has youth and power on his side. AJ inside 3

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next