The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster Football Final

+3
patrick91
RebelBhoy
Ar aghaidh le cheile
7 posters

Go down

Munster Football Final Empty Munster Football Final

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:57 pm

University boat race
Old firm winning SPL
The winner of the Sham fight at Scarva
Kerry v Cork in the Munster football finaL
The greatest forgone conclusions and most irrelevant annual events.
Sink the boats
Send the old firm to england
Demand a replay
Let Kilkenny footballers play in Munster

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Munster Football Final Empty Re: Munster Football Final

Post by RebelBhoy Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:22 pm

It wasn't a Cork and kerry final last year.

The draw has been rigged again this year though to keep us apart till Munster final day.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm

RebelBhoy wrote:It wasn't a Cork and kerry final last year.
Did it make any difference.
How many other counties have won Munster in last 30 years

The draw has been rigged again this year though to keep us apart till Munster final day.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:14 pm

One

Limerick would have won a few Connachts, a couple of Leinsters and a couple of Ulsters during that time.

And yes, it did make a difference. It gave Cork a scenic route to the quarter finals. The loser this year will have only one extra game.

RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 am

they woulndt have in ulster and i would doubt leinster maybe in connacht. cork and kerrys domination is a fact because of 4 very poor footballling counties whoes intrest lies in hurling limerick just happen to be the beter of the four.

when clare got past the big 2 in 92 it hints at what might have happened if cork and kerry had of been in ulster for example.

you cant say cork and kerry are any more domaniting in provincial terms than galway mayo - dublin meath- or cavan and limerick would have turned them over plus there is more than 2 decent counties in ulster leinster and connacht so there task would have been alot greater.

patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 am

I don't know about that pat. Limerick got to the munster final in both '09 and 2010. OK, they didn't meet either cork or kerry on the way there, but definately had a good showing in them on both occasions with the rebels only winning by a single point in '09 and Kerry only managed a 3 point margin the year after.

In Leinster I'd say with those kinds of performances they'd be more than a match for anyone in the province bar Meath, dubland, loais, kildare and mabye offaly but still capable of a win over those too on a good day, I haven't forgotten Limerick's 4-12 to 4-03 win over Meath in the '08 qualifiers and they also put in a good performance against kildare in the following round, only losing by a goal.

And in Ulster, the fact that its usually more competitive could work in Limerick's advantage, if fermanagh can get to the '08 final (forcing oor ma to a replay) and Antrim's campaign in '09 then Limerick could in theory get to an Ulster final and perhaps win.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am

four different Connacht champions in the last 4 years ....
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 pm

This is the usual rubbish trotted out by the under-achievers in other provinces. Blame Kerry for their deficiencies. Kerry reached six finals in a row from 04 to 09 beating all these counties who are complaining now on the way. Unfortunately one county we could not beat in that period for various reasons was Tyrone. If a county is good enough it will reach finals either through the front door or back door.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:49 pm

I dont think Limerick would have won any pro title apart from maybe Connaght and I would not even bother watching a Munster football champ game unless Cork were playing Kerry, they are so far ahead of everyone else it's unreal. I don't think this help's Cork or Kerry though if anything playing such poor opposition in Munster would hinder them and I would say they would be better off in the qualifier's.

" If a county is good enough it will reach final's either through the back door or the front door" I agree with that totally. You can only beat what's infront of you whoever win's the All Ireland deserve's it.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

i dont think limerick would have beat tyrone in 09 or 10 either or ran them close as antrim and monaghan found out. limerick only get to finals because cork and kerry are on the other side of the draw. and for all their finals they havent made the quarter finals losing in the last round of the qualifers to cork, meath, derry etc.

if they cant mange to beat a team like derry or meath when they failed in their provinical title that year what hope have they in winning that provinical title.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Because their ambition starts and ends with winning a provincial title. That was their target and has been for 100000 years. They put all their eggs in one basket and if that doesn't work out, then getting themselves back on an even keel isn't that easy.

I think Limerick would have taken maybe one of the last half dozen Ulsters and maybe one of the last half dozen Leinsters. they are up against the best side in the country on an annual basis...and sometimes they play Kerry too.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:56 pm

fermanaghs ambition is to win their first ulster they put all eggs in one basket to win the ulster championship failed but made the quarters in 03 and semis in 04.

what evidence supports limerick winning even one ulster championship? the early days cavan were the northern force then down came along mid century and were tough to beat then the rest came along and made ulster the toughest provinical title to win so i cant see how limerick would have broke through.

and ulster would have been the easiest to make a break through since partation hampered the northern sides in the early days.

sometimes limerick get to much hype 09 cork looked in 2nd gear and kerry looked 2nd or 3rd in 2010 if limerick were to play cork or kerry at croke park in the quarters i think they would be out of sight at half time.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 pm

As a Limerickman, not sure we'd have won any other provincial championships in the last few years (maybe connaught all right).

Akaredtop, how are they all in Paranoid City!!......not sure anyone was blaming Kerry for anything.......we'll all take responsibility for our own deficiencies, thank you very much!

Oh , and one of the "various reasons" Kerry could not beat Tyrone was that Tyrone were better than them.....really.........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Would an open draw do more for all the other counties in Munster in the long term.
My own view is that provincial campaigns are becoming less and less meaningful and no its not because we haven't won one in 17 years now.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Of course the provincial championships have been devalued, but that has to be the way given the fact that we have the qualifiers, which, in my opinion has hugely benefitted the game.
An "open draw" format is an interesting idea, but how would it work??
Groups of 4 with the winner going forward and the second place teams getting a second chance..........................too much football i think..................perhaps something radical is needed.........play provincial championships in January/February and turn the League format into the championship with a few alterations...............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Then the provincial championships are devalued even more.

The league format certainly has the better teams in division one and about half of division 2.

as for the evidence of Limerick winning something if they were outside Munster, of course I can't prove anything but i feel that under the right circumstances and the right draw, they would have had more than a chance at it.

The abysmal showing on saturday was down to a few reasons, not least the loss of galvin and lucey. Not only were Kerry excellent but most observers feel that Limerick are on the way down in the cycle of the team and tat more than a little surgery is required to fix it.

RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 am

A county like Limerick can only realistically remain competitive for 2/3 year cycles, then re-build for 2/3 years, like a Sligo, or a Westmeath or a Tipperary............................Countys like Kerry and Cork and Dublin & Galway can remain at the top while players are being replaced...........

And of course Galvin is the only player Kerry would recognise as being better than anyone they have in his position, so they went into the game knowing they were miles ahead..............and in fairness to them they went easy on us in the second half..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down