The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February

+85
doctor_grey
Hoonercat
Recwatcher16
Sgt_Pooly
Geen sport voor watjes
Anglobraveheart
glamorganalun
alive555
Allty
Shifty
No9
Noble-Surfer
aucklandlaurie
king_carlos
Exiledinborders
rumpelstiltskindoh
Heaf
Heuer27
wolfball
Rugby Fan
Breadvan
TightHEAD
profitius
nathan
majesticimperialman
lostinwales
Gwlad
toml
Kingshu
des
Prothero
marty2086
Majestic83
highland_scot
nickj
thebandwagonsociety
geoff999rugby
Mad for Chelsea
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
Golden
MacKnocked-on
EWT Spoons
cascough
SecretFly
GunsGermsV2
jimbopip
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Hazel Sapling
Pete330v2
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LordDowlais
bsando
demosthenes
Engine#4
TJ
cakeordeath
theslosty
Scottrf
EST
Manky-Flanker
Sin é
Pot Hale
munkian
IanBru
Cyril
Rory_Gallagher
beshocked
The Great Aukster
BigGee
eirebilly
the-goon
tigertattie
GLove39
carpet baboon
rodders
NeilyBroon
rapidsnowman
funnyExiledScot
RDW
Tattie Scones RRN
George Carlin
89 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Empty 6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Jan 2017, 10:10 am

First topic message reminder :

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Scot_f10     6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Irelan10 
SCOTLAND IRELAND 
4 February 2017
KO: 14:25
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Touch judges: Jaco Peyper (South Africa) and Nick Briant (New Zealand)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand

Live on BBC, RTE, DMAX, FR2, ITV (H)

A. Head to Head

132 Played 132
66 Won 61 
5 Drawn 5
61 Lost 66
1,380 Points 1,475

B. Recent Form

19 March 2016
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
35 – 25 to Ireland

15 August 2015
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
28 – 22 to Ireland

21 March 2015
BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
10 – 40 to Ireland

2 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
28 – 6 to Ireland

24 February 2013
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
12 – 8 to Scotland

10 March 2012
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
32 – 14 to Ireland

6 August 2011
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
10 – 6 to Scotland

27 February 2011
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
18 – 21 to Ireland

20 March 2010
Croke Park, Dublin
20 – 23 to Scotland

C. Teams

SCOTLAND 
6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Scotla10
15-Stuart Hogg; 14-Sean Maitland, 13-Huw Jones, 12-Alex Dunbar, 11-Tommy Seymour; 10-Finn Russell, 9-Greig Laidlaw (capt); 1-Allan Dell, 2-Fraser Brown, 3-Zander Fagerson, 4-Richie Gray, 5-Jonny Gray, 6-Ryan Wilson, 7-Hamish Watson, 8-Josh Strauss

Replacements: 16-Ross Ford, 17-Gordon Reid, 18-Simon Berghan, 19-Tim Swinson, 20-John Barclay, 21-Ali Price, 22-Duncan Weir, 23-Mark Bennett

IRELAND
6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Irelan10
15-Rob Kearney; 14-Keith Earls, 13-Robbie Henshaw, 12-Garry Ringrose, 11-Simon Zebo; 10-Paddy Jackson, 9-Conor Murray; 1-Jack McGrath, 2-Rory Best (captain), 3-Tadhg Furlong, 4-Iain Henderson, 5-Devin Toner, 6-CJ Stander, 7-Sean O'Brien, 8-Jamie Heaslip

Replacements: 16-Niall Scannell, 17-Cian Healy, 18-John Ryan, 19-Ultan Dillane, 20-Josh van der Flier, 21-Kieran Marmion, 22-Ian Keatley, 23-Tommy Bowe.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 5:08 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Empty Re: 6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February

Post by Sin é Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:22 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:yep, when France through Betsen deliberately targeted Wilkinson all game in 02, leading to France winning a game most thought they'd be thrashed in, that was clearly the tactic of a "loser" Whistle

Are you saying that he intentionally tried to injure Wilkinson?

Nope, but rattle him, definitely, which is what Glasgow tried to do to Murray. There's no evidence whatsoever anywhere that they intentionally tried to injure him. I just hope this bleating about a perfectly legitimate and legal tactic to target a key opposition player to disrupt the opposition's gameplan doesn't influence the ref too much, resulting in a spate of penalties for supposedly "late" tackles or some other imagined offence.

Illegal scrummaging or the breakdown interpretation are usually the topics when a side tries to influence the referee before a game, and the pre-match hype usually bears some fruit.

It matters not a jot whether Murray was 'targeted' or not in the past, however the picture of Strauss tackling his standing leg will be registered in the memory banks of officials just as much as supporters and as such might influence some outcomes. Referees will inevitably be looking more closely now at Murray being 'potentially' targeted so 50/50 calls are more likely to be penalised in his favour. Smart.

If Strauss hadn't given Murray the fuel, he couldn't have lit the fire so when the opposition hand you a gift like that it would be impolite not to accept it.

I think the general consensus is that what Glasgow did was within the laws - putting aside the debate on whether they should be or not - so what would the ref actually penalise him for?

Late hit maybe depending on his timing, but if the same incidents happen then by the letter of the law they shouldn't be penalised?

I think there is a law about dangerous tackling. It maybe within the law, but it is regarded as dangerous and should be outlawed.

And god help who ever tackles him and he gets injured from it!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Empty Re: 6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February

Post by munkian Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:24 pm

Sin é wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:yep, when France through Betsen deliberately targeted Wilkinson all game in 02, leading to France winning a game most thought they'd be thrashed in, that was clearly the tactic of a "loser" Whistle

Are you saying that he intentionally tried to injure Wilkinson?

Nope, but rattle him, definitely, which is what Glasgow tried to do to Murray. There's no evidence whatsoever anywhere that they intentionally tried to injure him. I just hope this bleating about a perfectly legitimate and legal tactic to target a key opposition player to disrupt the opposition's gameplan doesn't influence the ref too much, resulting in a spate of penalties for supposedly "late" tackles or some other imagined offence.

Illegal scrummaging or the breakdown interpretation are usually the topics when a side tries to influence the referee before a game, and the pre-match hype usually bears some fruit.

It matters not a jot whether Murray was 'targeted' or not in the past, however the picture of Strauss tackling his standing leg will be registered in the memory banks of officials just as much as supporters and as such might influence some outcomes. Referees will inevitably be looking more closely now at Murray being 'potentially' targeted so 50/50 calls are more likely to be penalised in his favour. Smart.

If Strauss hadn't given Murray the fuel, he couldn't have lit the fire so when the opposition hand you a gift like that it would be impolite not to accept it.

I think the general consensus is that what Glasgow did was within the laws - putting aside the debate on whether they should be or not - so what would the ref actually penalise him for?

Late hit maybe depending on his timing, but if the same incidents happen then by the letter of the law they shouldn't be penalised?

I think there is a law about dangerous tackling. It maybe within the law, but it is regarded as dangerous and should be outlawed.

And god help who ever tackles him and he gets injured from it!

Agreed, the squawking from across the Irish sea will be maddening.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You can tackle a player in the act of kicking, surely? Otherwise a player could dummy-kick all the way to the try line and you wouldn't be able to touch him.

I think box kicking is different to kicking on the hoof, particularly when player is stationery and from behind him.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:28 pm

Sin é wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You can tackle a player in the act of kicking, surely? Otherwise a player could dummy-kick all the way to the try line and you wouldn't be able to touch him.

I think box kicking is different to kicking on the hoof, particularly when player is stationery and from behind him.

Sorry I'm confused by this, who was behind Murray that tackled him, or is this just hypothetical?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:29 pm

Sin é wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:We will have POM on the bench when you tire laughing

POM is injured - though Conan or SOB are not bad options!

Thanks for that.

Was he not in the original 40 man squad ???? (I was away when announced)
If he was Joe neglected to mention him in those not being available.

Anyway as said plenty of quality backrowers to call on

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Thanks for that.

He was - an Ireland training injury - think its groin strain.

Its hamstring:

Munster captain O'Mahony has been ruled out with a hamstring injury and will have a scan to find out the extent of the injury.

"He will have a scan tonight as he is feeling a bit of tightness," Easterby explained.

"He's not overly concerned by it. In saying that, that tightness may turn into a slight strain or a tear. Once we get the results of the scan, we will certainly have a plan in place for him to return."
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:52 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Sorry I'm confused by this, who was behind Murray that tackled him, or is this just hypothetical?

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Screen10
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:55 pm

Shoulder on the hip.

Next please.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:02 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Shoulder on the hip.

Next please.

Facts will not stop this one.... even graphical facts

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:02 pm

It only counts if you write it in capitals.

FACT.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:03 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Shoulder on the hip.

Next please.

You wanted to know who was behind Murray, now you do. Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think the general consensus is that what Glasgow did was within the laws - putting aside the debate on whether they should be or not - so what would the ref actually penalise him for?

The referee adjudicated that Glasgow were within the Laws and there was no citing, yet there has been ongoing debate as to whether Murray was 'targeted' with 'cynical and dangerous' treatment. While that remains a live topic, then it has the potential to influence Officials. Referees may now consider the topic worthy of their attention which they wouldn't have done had it not gained a certain profile.

The "same incidents" can't happen again because the circumstances surrounding them have changed - not only different weather conditions, outcomes, players involved, etc. but also the post match reactions to the game. Precedent is only a factor in judgement not a universal diktat. The officials cannot shut themselves away in a jury room between games to avoid being prejudiced by media debate. It has already been seen following the controversial 'high tackle' guidelines being implemented in the Scarlets/Ulster game, that there was an immediate reaction and refinement of interpretation the following day.

So if there is a borderline late hit on Murray that could be judged either way - the outcome is arguably going to be more harshly judged that it was three weeks ago. Small margins.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:10 pm

Sin é wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
Sin é wrote:

6N 2017: Scotland v Ireland, 4 February - Page 8 Screen10

Right, but Strauss came from in front of Murray, Murray turned to the side/back.  I get you are annoyed/upset/irritated by what you perceive to be some injustice but if one player turns away from the tackling player, then you can't really claim the player making the tackle came from behind him.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:15 pm

I’d like to look at odds for a sin bin or red card for Du Preez if he starts.
Over exuberance can sometimes lead to cards. A lack of experience doesn’t help either.

Might be worthy a cheeky punt if the odds are good enough.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm

The only cheeky punt I see beshocked, is in the picture above.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

don't do it spoons!

The one eyed nonsense coming form Sin is reaching almost the same heights as a John Inverdale episode of "This is your life"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:43 pm

[quote="Sin é"]
geoff999rugby wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Thanks for that.

He was - an Ireland training injury - think its groin strain.

[quote]

Thanks again so when Joe said

"That said, Ireland’s injury profile is, collectively, quite healthy. Schmidt is hopeful that Jared Payne may recover from the kidney injury he suffered against Australia at some point in the tournament, as should Joey Carbery, although the hamstrung Sean Cronin has been ruled out for the duration, while Andrew Conway (groin) is the only absentee this week in their Carton House base from the original 40-man squad."

He forgot to mention POM.
Don't feel so bad now - I assumed Joe was telling the complete truth Very Happy
As an aside Payne will be nowhere near the 6N - if he thinks otherwise he is in cloud cuckoo land

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 01 Feb 2017, 6:49 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:My guess is we are going to put out a big back row. Ryan Wilson, Struass and CDP. Hamish Watson on the bench for when Ireland tire.

I'd put a lot of money on Barclay starting, and TBH I want him to start.

Yeah I forgot about Barclay.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 Feb 2017, 5:56 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I think the general consensus is that what Glasgow did was within the laws - putting aside the debate on whether they should be or not - so what would the ref actually penalise him for?

The referee adjudicated that Glasgow were within the Laws and there was no citing, yet there has been ongoing debate as to whether Murray was 'targeted' with 'cynical and dangerous' treatment. While that remains a live topic, then it has the potential to influence Officials. Referees may now consider the topic worthy of their attention which they wouldn't have done had it not gained a certain profile.

The "same incidents" can't happen again because the circumstances surrounding them have changed - not only different weather conditions, outcomes, players involved, etc. but also the post match reactions to the game. Precedent is only a factor in judgement not a universal diktat. The officials cannot shut themselves away in a jury room between games to avoid being prejudiced by media debate. It has already been seen following the controversial 'high tackle' guidelines being implemented in the Scarlets/Ulster game, that there was an immediate reaction and refinement of interpretation the following day.

So if there is a borderline late hit on Murray that could be judged either way - the outcome is arguably going to be more harshly judged that it was three weeks ago. Small margins.
Correct Aukster but the converse is also true.

The Glasgow forwards wanted to get inside Murray's head and have him looking over his shoulder.

Nobody can now deny that they've succeeded. I personally think it was a mistake for Murray to have come out to the press with this - he's shown that he can be got at. The All Blacks will have noticed that too, incidentally. I also don't understand the comments here that Glasgow were somehow playing outside the law for the whole match in the way that they targeted Murray but that they magically got away with it somehow.

Neither the referee, linesmen nor citing officers penalised, sanctioned or otherwise investigated any of the tackles on Murray. So they were all legally done. Simple.

Let's move on to the game, which should be a cracker. If Scotland can get any front foot ball, we're going to see Ireland's defence tested because that Scottish backline can score tries and for once (apart from our front row, which is a calamity) we have good players in form and with a plan that they are used to.

I think that Ireland will keep it tight and bore their way to a win by 2 scores.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

Sean Maitland reveals just how close the squad are:

We’ve played with each other for a few years now and I think we’re used to playing with each other now – we have built up relationships

Erm

I need to grow up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 02 Feb 2017, 9:15 am

Havent spotted any 'leaked teams' in the Scots press this morning. I wonder whether that means we are playing our cards a bit closer to our chests these days? Hopefully its a sign of our growing conviction or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Anywho, my guess would be:

Dell
Ford
Fagerson
J Gray
R Gray
Barcs
Watson / Strauss (potentially)
Wilson
Laidlaw
Russell
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones
Maitland
Hogg

Reid
Brown
Welsh
Swinson
Strauss / Watson
Price/ Pygros
Scott
Bennett / Visser

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu 02 Feb 2017, 9:26 am

When are the teams due to be named? I think Ireland tend to do so around 1h30pm. What about the Jocks?

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 9:27 am

This morning apparently

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 10:01 am

Tom English in his interview with John Barclay, has stated that this will be his 50th start for Scotland so I assume he's in?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 10:55 am

I have three single tickets for sale for Saturday if anyone is interested. Face value at £66 each.

If you're interested, I can meet you at MF.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:04 am

George Carlin wrote:

The Glasgow forwards wanted to get inside Murray's head and have him looking over his shoulder.

Nobody can now deny that they've succeeded. I personally think it was a mistake for Murray to have come out to the press with this - he's shown that he can be got at. The All Blacks will have noticed that too, incidentally.
I also don't understand the comments here that Glasgow were somehow playing outside the law for the whole match in the way that they targeted Murray but that they magically got away with it somehow.

Neither the referee, linesmen nor citing officers penalised, sanctioned or otherwise investigated any of the tackles on Murray. So they were all legally done. Simple.

Let's move on to the game, which should be a cracker. If Scotland can get any front foot ball, we're going to see Ireland's defence tested because that Scottish backline can score tries and for once (apart from our front row, which is a calamity) we have good players in form and with a plan that they are used to.

I think that Ireland will keep it tight and bore their way to a win by 2 scores.

I think Scotland fans a clutching at straws a little bit here. All teams look to put pressure on Murray, it is nothing new.

However, to do that you really are going to have to win the forward battle first particularly at the breakdown so that you can get past the Ireland backrows. Otherwise I cant see how Scotland will get to him.

Not that many teams have had much success against Ireland in this area except Argentina in the world cup. This is probably the best Ireland pack of all time that Scotland will be facing which isnt quite the same as playing against the Munster pack which only contributes 2 players.

The AB's really looked to target the breakdown in their second test against Ireland, they were extra physical and did improve in this area in the second test but still lost the breakdown battle.

As an Ireland fan I'm not worried at all about Murray being rattled.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:12 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I have three single tickets for sale for Saturday if anyone is interested. Face value at £66 each.

You've got mail...

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:14 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Nobody can now deny that they've succeeded. I personally think it was a mistake for Murray to have come out to the press with this - he's shown that he can be got at. The All Blacks will have noticed that too, incidentally.
I also don't understand the comments here that Glasgow were somehow playing outside the law for the whole match in the way that they targeted Murray but that they magically got away with it somehow.

I think Scotland fans a clutching at straws a little bit here. All teams look to put pressure on Murray, it is nothing new.

However, to do that you really are going to have to win the forward battle first particularly at the breakdown so that you can get past the Ireland backrows. Otherwise I cant see how Scotland will get to him.

Not that many teams have had much success against Ireland in this area except Argentina in the world cup. This is probably the best Ireland pack of all time that Scotland will be facing which isnt quite the same as playing against the Munster pack which only contributes 2 players.

The AB's really looked to target the breakdown in their second test against Ireland, they were extra physical and did improve in this area in the second test but still lost the breakdown battle.

Fair enough Guns, but I have been watching rugby for 30 years and I have never heard a player speak to the press about how he was worried he would be hurt in a tackle.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions about that. I have.

You are absolutely right that Ireland has real quality at the breakdown. I would go with 6. Stander 7. Vd Flier and 8. Heaslip. Nice balance to that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:17 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Murray being rattled - well he'll have to cope. That's the game. The opposition attack the central cogs to disrupt the patterns.
Murray being injured - well, that's advantage Scotland according to most analysts who seem to think Murray is 'undroppable'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:23 am

highland_scot wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I have three single tickets for sale for Saturday if anyone is interested. Face value at £66 each.

You've got mail...

replied HS OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:48 am

Hardie and Du Preez released back to Edinburgh for Friday's match, so I'm expecting
6. Harley, 7. Wilson, 8. Strauss, 20. Watson
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:48 am

Edinburgh have named McInally, Toolis, Hardie, CDP and Hoyland in their squad

No Gilchrist, Watson or - most worryingly - Weir

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:52 am

Jesus!

Weir no surprise as he was the only back up named at FH.

Gilchrist on the bench ahead of Swinson would be an utter disgrace.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:00 pm

IanBru wrote:Hardie and Du Preez released back to Edinburgh for Friday's match, so I'm expecting
6. Harley, 7. Wilson, 8. Strauss, 20. Watson
Harley instead of CDP I'm not happy with.

And Barclay really needs to be in that back row somewhere.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:05 pm

Shame Du Preez and Hardie not involved but I trust VC judgement,

Barclay
Watson
Wilson

Strauss (bench)

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:06 pm

Subs:

Reid
Ford
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:08 pm

Barclay on bench???

Brown starting then.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm

Thornley's Ireland selection for Saturday, he's rarely wrong.

Ireland possible v Scotland

R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, S Zebo; P Jackson, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best (capt), T Furlong; D Ryan, DToner; CJ Stander, S O’Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: N Scannell, C Healy, J Ryan, I Henderson, J van der Flier, K Marmion, I Keatley, T Bowe.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:10 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Barclay on bench???

Brown starting then.

Ryan Wilson will be starting. Lovely.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:11 pm

6 Wilson
7 Watson
8 Strauss

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:11 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Fair enough Guns, but I have been watching rugby for 30 years and I have never heard a player speak to the press about how he was worried he would be hurt in a tackle.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions about that. I have.

You are absolutely right that Ireland has real quality at the breakdown. I would go with 6. Stander 7. Vd Flier and 8. Heaslip. Nice balance to that.

If Scotland want to win they need to be much tougher that they usually are. In the 90s Ireland would go to Murrayfield and get the absolute sh1te kicked out of them all day up and down the park. They also nearly always knew what our calls would be. Since Ireland got the monkey off their back in 2001 it seems to me Scotland are much softer than they used to be and seldom win the physical battle.

The key to beating Ireland is to beat the crap out of them in the forwards especially. It worked for NZ in November and it worked for France in the six nations last year.  Argentina also clearly won the forward battle and the breakdown battle in the RWC they were also able to exploit defensive weakness out wide. However, they were only able to do this by getting very quick ball at the breakdown.

Scotland's pack is very good especially the second row. Given that Ireland score most their tries off the lineout Scotland may have some success in nullifying Ireland here but I think the Ireland front row and back row are better so for Scotland to win they will need to all raise their game in the pack.

For me that should be their focus and if they get it right they wont need to worry about Murray at all.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:11 pm

First name on team sheet fES.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:12 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Thornley's Ireland selection for Saturday, he's rarely wrong.

R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, S Zebo; P Jackson, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best (capt), T Furlong; D Ryan, DToner; CJ Stander, S O’Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: N Scannell, C Healy, J Ryan, I Henderson, J van der Flier, K Marmion, I Keatley, T Bowe.

Trimble injury must be worse than I thought.

Bowe is a hell of a punt given his form

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

6. Wilson
7. Watson
8. Strauss
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

4 Gray
5 Gray

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

1 Dell
2 Brown
3 Fagerson

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:15 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Thornley's Ireland selection for Saturday, he's rarely wrong.

Trimble injury must be worse than I thought.

Bowe is a hell of a punt given his form

Tought Bowe looked good in Ulsters last European game.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

9 Laidlaw
10 Russell

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

That bench, oh dear:

Berghan and Weir have no place in an international rugby squad.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

Master of Suspense RDW!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next