The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+9
McLaren
Be_the_ball
pedro
super_realist
1GrumpyGolfer
robopz
I'm never wrong
GPB
kwinigolfer
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

1).I don't know whether it's just a childhood spent in the radio age and listening to the drone of the shipping forecast bringing evocative place names like German Bight and Dogger Bank into our front rooms, but I've always been fascinated by places and weather. Later I graduated to cricket commentators telling us about the Fremantle Doctor, then to Upstate New York when we seemingly spent the winter months (all eight of them) under siege from a series of Alberta Clippers, sure to bring snow and misery but moving through swiftly.

2).Fast forward a few years and the Weather Channel started talking about the Pineapple Express, a moisture-laden weather system originating in the Hawaii area of the Pacific apparently designed specifically to sweep into California and give it a thorough drenching just when it seemed drought and forest fires would destroy it forever. Justin Thomas assumed the role of Pineapple Express last week, becoming the first since Ernie Els 14 years ago to win both the TOC at Kapalua and the Sony Open, the Aloha Slam.

3).So, Is Justin Thomas the next real thing, does he have the right stuff to contend in Majors, to warrant a consistent owgr Top Ten ranking? My jury is still out, but this month's form has been irresistible - he's taking a breather now, not sure when he'll be back, but he'll certainly return with scrutiny and expectations he's never seen before.

4).Meanwhile, the original Pineapple Express has been "train"ing storms in to the West Coast for a few weeks now, Northern California getting a right soaking, some flooding and inevitable landslides which may only get worse, and fifteen feet of fresh powder in the Sierra Nevada. Now it sets its sights further south, aiming squarely at this week's Palm Desert location for the CareerBuilder Challenge. Expect two or three days of rain in the desert and cool temps (mid-50's to low 60's); there'll probably be damp fairways and soft greens, usually a recipe for more low scoring, but the added aggravation of at least two days of moderate winds. All in all a recipe for slow play given the Pro-Am format - three days on three separate courses with a 54-hole cut and Round 4 at PGA Tour West's "Stadium Course".

5).Some interesting articles in the US Media these last few weeks addressing the changing face of Golf on TV and the various other viewing options now available. It's not just golf, NFL ratings have been down and the entire TV landscape seems to be altering how future sport TV contracts, and possibly endorsement earners, may be structured. Is the chat about a joint PGA/LPGA Tour Tournament of Champions, for instance a sign of things to come, especially as we know the Zurich Team event is already inked in.

6).Observation on here earlier this week about Angel Cabrera being 47, going on 60. There'll be a "generation" of once elite "International" golfers turning 50 within a year of Cabrera. Els, Goosen, Jaidee, Karlsson and Pampling are all currently 47, Lawrie and Darren Clarke 48 and, if they have any game left at all, should do well on the Champions Tour assuming they choose to do partake. This year's Champions Tour "rookies", or at least David Toms, make their debut this week, in Hawaii.

7).And the web.commers indulge in another Sunday thru' Wednesday gig, still in The Bahamas. Last week's wind-blown affair was won by Kyle Thompson, his fifth such win and he's the sort of web.com lifer that the Europeans' Challenge Tour doesn't seem to attract, probably because the money is just not there. Thompson now has career web.com earnings of $1.7M which, combined with occasional PGA Tour cameos and endorsements, is not at all bad for a golfer perennially on life's undercard.
I wonder if the advent of the Rolex Series will have a knock-on impact benefitting the Challenge Tour?

8).It's not clear yet just how much the Tour's upcoming venues have been, or will be, affected by California storms. Soft conditions may affect the horses-for-courses trend which can be so prevalent early in the season.
Bill Haas is a nearly man as far as the top echelons of golf are concerned, but he's won twice in the Palm Desert and finished well last week at the "Sony".
Will Justin Thomas's breakthrough inspire forgotten Californian "Young Gun" Jamie Lovemark to turn his life of potential into a win?

9).Europeans in the field include Casey, Gonzo, Kjeldsen, Laird, Molinari (not many finished 2016 in better form), Jon Rahm and Seamus Power.
Patrick Reed is also here, anxious to challenge Justin Thomas: "I wish he was (here). I can't wait to get him back in the field and go play against him." That's the spirit.

10).Lots of discussion recently about injured golfers; Tiger Woods, obviously, and a soft Torrey Pines will be a big test of his game, and perhaps his back too. Rory's out for a while, Jason Day seems to be a walking sick note and who knows if Poulter will return to form after his fitness issues last year.
Great to see Justin Rose coming through the field to finish second last week - he never seemed 100% last year, despite his Olympic Gold, and welcome back to him.
And welcome back also to two-time winner Phil Mickelson. Fitness permitting he'll play at least four of the next five weeks, all at venues he's won at.
It finally feels as if the Tour season is starting to go through its gears . . . . . . . . hope no Pineapple Express interrupts it now!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:06 pm

Thanks Kwini, good writeup as usual

I have looked at the preliminary fields for San Diego, Phoenix, and Pebble Beach.  At this time, Justin Thomas is only in the Phoenix field

Lefty is in all three tournaments, making it 4 straight tournaments.  Maybe a bit ambitious considering two hernia surgeries in the last 3 months.  He is probably skipping Genesis.  (especially now that is run by the TWF)

Light rain forecasted today in Palm Springs with heavy rains Fri and Sun.  Cool weather too.

ESPN's Michael Collins did a podcast at Tourjunkies dot com last month right after the HWC.  He has some funny anecdotes from his early years on tour and how he got introduced to golf.

He followed Tiger at HWC and opined that he will have trouble at Torrey because it is a difficult walk.  Tiger's troubles at HWC were on the back nine when he was playing with someone.  His endurance has got to be one of the questions next week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:30 pm

kwinigolfer wrote: 5).Some interesting articles in the US Media these last few weeks addressing the changing face of Golf on TV and the various other viewing options now available. It's not just golf, NFL ratings have been down and the entire TV landscape seems to be altering how future sport TV contracts, and possibly endorsement earners, may be structured. Is the chat about a joint PGA/LPGA Tour Tournament of Champions, for instance a sign of things to come, especially as we know the Zurich Team event is already inked in.

Article in my paper the other day about exactly the same thing Kwini. Reporter was commenting on how long the Sky Sports football deal was sustainable with all the (illegal?) streaming options available. The reporters' son was laughing at him for paying to watch football.

Good write up as usual. thumbsup

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:39 pm

Cheers chaps.

GPB,
My point also about TP being a tough walk for TW, especially if conditions are soft underfoot.

Inw,
The NFL have been wringing their collective hands all season as ratings dip; not sure of the season-long figure but at one time they'd dropped by 19% - that's a lot!
Funny ha-ha that Fox paid gazillions for USGA golf because they assumed that Woods would return to be a force - scarcely played since!
But now all of golf is hoping he can bridge the gap between now and the next transcendant figure - if there is ever to be another one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:41 pm

Quiz for music afficionados of a certain age:

Which band has an album track with parts of the shipping forecast in the background?

EDIT: It's NOT Weather Report . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:30 pm

Lol... I'm no music afficionado, but you hit on one of my faves there... Jethro Tull.

PS... Great notes as always kwini... thumbsup

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:46 pm

Ah, well!
That's not who I was thinking of. Just played NSO also and didn't hear it.
But accidentally realised that the incidences were googleable which I hadn't expected and there seem to be multiples.

I was thinking of Manfred Mann's Earth Band, from Chance - "Stranded" in Iowa of all places. Doesn't make sense on lots of levels but the SF is quite prominent!

Well done robo, wondered who liked Jethro Tull and now I know!

Phil going nicely on his comeback, Harry Varner getting better year by year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:55 pm

Manfred Mann's Earth Band?... I'd of had exactly ZERO shot at that one. And didn't need Google to get Jethro Tull's Stormwatch. But get past them, Moody Blues and CSN&Y and I get pretty thin...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

As near as I can tell, 2016 NCAA champ Aaron Wise is about 144th on the Web-com priority. Through his 4th place in the money of the Canadian Tour.

He chose not to play the web-com Q-school.

Apparently, he thought q-school (and web-com tour) was a waste of his time and he is trying to get his card via STM.

He made 4 starts during the Fall Series, two miss Cuts, a T55, and a T10th at the Shriners.

He is off to a good start this week, but IMO, he should have hedged his bets and went to Web-com Q-school and got some status there this year.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

robo thumbsup

La Quinta seems to be yielding the lowest scores and opportunistic of Greg Owen to be taking advantage - after squeezing in to the field when John Cook did the right thing and w/d'd.
Kjeldsen, Gonzo and Casey ticking along nicely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:21 pm

GPB wrote: {Wise}He is off to a good start this week, but IMO, he should have hedged his bets and went to Web-com Q-school and got some status there this year.
Agree, I thought his decision not to play Q-school very odd. Rule of thumb always used to be "Take advantage of every opportunity to obtain whatever status you can, then try to better it".

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

I wonder if Cook was invited to play Mitsubishi? He is a two time champion.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:30 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:La Quinta seems to be yielding the lowest scores and opportunistic of Greg Owen to be taking advantage - after squeezing in to the field when John Cook did the right thing and w/d'd.
Kjeldsen, Gonzo and Casey ticking along nicely.
Kwini... last year the 3 courses played TPC Stadium the hardest by a good bit... La Quinta just slightly harder than the Nicklaus

Scoring Averages R1 R2 R3
71.825 - 70.218 - 70.673 - TPC Stadium Course
69.596 - 69.060 - 68.782 - La Quinta Country Club
69.424 - 68.884 - 68.498 - Nicklaus Tournament Course

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Well done robo, wondered who liked Jethro Tull and now I know!

It's not just robo, Kwini, based on my neighbour's Facebook posts he really likes Jethro Tull too.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm

That's two then, unless perhaps you live close to robo!

Another injured golfer on the comeback trail that I could have mentioned is Nick Watney; happy to see him putting a good round together - it's been a while. Ishikawa too.

EDIT! Bogey-free round of 67 for Watney. Think about what might have been if not for a double and triple . . . . . . .

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:05 pm

One way for a struggling double-dipper who's actually having a decent Round 1 to torpedo his day's work - how's about a 5-putt. Nice going Gonzo. Including 4 putts from within 7 feet.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 1:27 am

First-round scoring averages at the @cbgolfchallenge:

70.154 = La Quinta
70.327 = Tournament
71.423 = Stadium

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:28 am

Ran across a tweet that Patrick Cantlay is ready to return to the PGA Tour

He is still on major medical, and is planning to play Pebble Beach.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:59 pm

I wonder if Cantlay remembers he shot a 60 at Hartford once upon a time? When still an amateur.

Forecast for Palm Springs for Round 2:
Chance of rain: 100%, about 1 inch.
Temps: High 40's rising to high-ish 50's.
Winds: 15 - 25 mph, with gusts of 40 mph likely.
Hold on to your hats.

EDIT: Tee Times moved forward, first pitch at 7.30 a.m. local. TV coverage starts early also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 5:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I wonder if Cantlay remembers he shot a 60 at Hartford once upon a time? When still an amateur.

Forecast for Palm Springs for Round 2:
Chance of rain: 100%, about 1 inch.
Temps: High 40's rising to high-ish 50's.
Winds: 15 - 25 mph, with gusts of 40 mph likely.
Hold on to your hats.

EDIT: Tee Times moved forward, first pitch at 7.30 a.m. local. TV coverage starts early also.

Watching on PGATour Live. Weather is no where near that bad. Sun is out, barely a breeze, some players in short sleeves

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:38 pm

Still forecasting 1 - 2 inches of rain. 'Course, that's the US forecast, the European models may show something entirely different.

Greg Owen still making the most of his last-minute opportunity. Does any single Tour player define "journeyman" more aptly than Mansfield's own Owen?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:40 pm

Jason Bohn, Jerry Kelly and Chucky Howell fits my definition of journeyman

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:47 pm

I think there's a lot of people fit the journeyman label. Stephen Gallacher, Shane Lowry, Simon Khan are players that I see as such.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:58 pm

I would think multiple wins elevates you out of the journeyman ranks, wouldn't you?

Fallen upon hard times, perhaps, but at least all that lot have had days in the sun within living memory - Owen is in his 26th season as a pro, 14 yrs removed from his one win, none on the PGA Tour where he's been plodding along for most of the time since?

Gallacher playing his 500th ET event this week - the 5th Scot among the 32 to reach that milestone.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Still forecasting 1 - 2 inches of rain. 'Course, that's the US forecast, the European models may show something entirely different.
Like 25-50 mm?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:05 pm

Journeyman: agree about Owen and Khan. Lowry is too young and has a WGC win in recent memory. Gallacher could have fittted the bill if it wasn't for 2014 when he had a stellar year and qualified for the RC. Kelly has had too many wins and team appearances to be a journeyman. Bohn doesn't seem to have been in the game long enough. CH3 was a shooting star but turned into what looks like a journeyman. Still, due to his debut on tour, I'd hesitate to put that label on him though. 'Underacheiver' probably fits better.
In my definition of a JM you'd have to have been in or near the big tour for 10+ years, contended occasionally, but never seriously, max 1-2 wins. In the OWGR you have constantly been btw #100-300ish, but rarely better than #200. Of other English players I'd probably say Bland, Storm, Wall and Slattery.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

There's probably no exact definition of being a journeyman, but I think you have to take into account people who seem content to just make a decent living on the tour, without appearing to try to hard to be the best they can be. There's an awful lot of guys in that particular rut.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:17 pm

Agree with most of that peds, though Bohn is in his 40's now. Almost feel he's an overachiever. Good to see him back after his heart attack last spring.
Chuckie Howell still makes millions every year, 31 of them. But agree he's under achieved, though at a very high level!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm

pedro wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Still forecasting 1 - 2 inches of rain. 'Course, that's the US forecast, the European models may show something entirely different.
Like 25-50 mm?

OK, that gets a thumbs up from me. Nicely done.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:30 pm

Owen finishes with a second 67. Still chances for him to miss the cut though as it's a 54-hole cut tomorrow. With a fine forecast so it will probably sheet it down.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm

If you are a PGATour golfer, would you rather be called a "journeyman" player or a "rank and file" player.

IMO, both are about the same, although I think it is more insulting to be called "rank and file."

Someone that bounces in and out of exempt status would fit my definition of rank/file.

Bob Goalby is on the grounds. Would like to see Golf Channel get in him the booth for a segment or two. He used to be a broadcaster for NBC. 87 years old. One of the oldest living players who has won a major. Doug Ford, Peter Thomson, Roberto DeVincenzo, Don January among others.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:45 pm

It would be even better if Goalby was joined by RDV and Tommy Aaron . . . . . .

Danny Lee making a rare appearance on the leaderboard. Where's he been?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:16 pm

super_realist wrote:There's probably no exact definition of being a journeyman, but I think you have to take into account people who seem content to just make a decent living on the tour, without appearing to try to hard to be the best they can be. There's an awful lot of guys in that particular rut.
I've actually known quite a few of those supposedly content check cashers over the years. Guys like Maggert, Andrade, Henry, Baird, etc, etc... Thing is, where "just being content" might fly decades ago, it hasn't been that way for probably 20-30 years. I have yet to meet a single one of those guys that didn't continually work their ever loving butts off to stay out there. IMO way too many people mistake "not talented enough to win except maybe once in a blue moon" players with those who don't give top effort. But they are simply not the same.

About the only thing that does happen, sometimes guys think they have it figured out and slack off a bit. But one of two things happens real quick EVERY time. They either 1) catch it before it's too late and get back to work... Or... 2) they get their butts bounced off the tour so quick they never get to be part of a "what is a "journeyman" conversation.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

No doubt, robo,
A big, BIG, difference between the guys you mention and, say, Matt Every. Shane needs to figure out which side of the coin he's on.

I bet Greg Owen tries extra extra hard on every shot he plays. But sometimes that brain of his gets in the way. Not the only one by any means.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:42 am

Excellent effort by Crenshaw this week.
+19 thru 36 holes. Last, in a field of 47.
Next to last: Wiebe at +3.

Nothing against you Ben, but perhaps that's an invitation you can turn down next year.

Highlights of San Diego field:

Casey, Harrington, Beef, Kjeldsen, Laird, Lowry, Molinari, Rose,

Day, Fowler, JB, Dustin, Koepka, Hideki, Phil, King Louis, Sneds, Walker, Woods.

etc.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:05 am

kwinigolfer wrote:I bet Greg Owen tries extra extra hard on every shot he plays. But sometimes that brain of his gets in the way. Not the only one by any means.  
Bingo. These days you gotta be so freeking good to even get on tour. But probably only about 5% have all the tools they need to be really successful when they get there. For the other 95% they got to get way better mentally or gamewise or both. A very few will become very successful, a few more will only get good enough to hang around, but most will be gone pretty quickly... And usually not due to any lack of effort.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 2:09 am

Ha!
You didn't comment on the first part of the posting!! Silence sometimes golden I suppose.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 21 Jan 2017, 3:29 am

Kwini, Since Gary Williams (of Morning Drive) has a man crush on Ben Crenshaw, I dare you to tweet to him that Ben should send regrets next year when he gets invited.

Gary Williams face went into full pout mode when NOLAYINGUP bluntly suggested that Jim Furyk (another one of Gary William's man-crushes) as a playing RC Captain was probably not a good idea.

https://twitter.com/DavidWilliams94/status/819576876507234304

I used to be able to tolerate Gary Williams and somewhat enjoyed Morning Drive, but I now find nearly unwatchable.  Too much travel, too much instruction, too much Dr Ara, too much fitness.

It was better with Holly and Erik Kuselias, and both them sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 3:43 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Highlights of San Diego field:
Casey, Harrington, Beef, Kjeldsen, Laird, Lowry, Molinari, Rose,
Day, Fowler, JB, Dustin, Koepka, Hideki, Phil, King Louis, Sneds, Walker, Woods.
etc.

Don't really know what this is up against on the ET; is San Diego worthy of being the first event for the Fantasy League?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 3:55 am

GPB,
I've never watched Morning Drive, so only know that lot fleetingly. Love live sport, can't stand the punditry. Except Kyle Martino & Robbie Earle.

Nick Watney is -3 thru 36 with a double, triple and quad on his card. How come I can't score like that when I have a double, triple, quad? Which I invariably do.

Hi Grumps,
Qatar on the ET, not that great a field. And San Diego has a decent field with the interest of TW, Phil, Phowler and DJ etc.

You da man, wouldn't like to impose . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 4:26 am

It seemed to me that you highlighted a good number of pretty big names so it seems like a good place to start. I'll dig out my spreadsheets.

I thought there was a weaker event in the Desert Swing but couldn't remember which one it was. If memory serves me I think Qatar is also the one that finishes on a Monday.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 21 Jan 2017, 2:13 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:I thought there was a weaker event in the Desert Swing but couldn't remember which one it was. If memory serves me I think Qatar is also the one that finishes on a Monday.
 Of late the "weak sister" of the 3 Middle East events has been Qatar... wasn't necessarily so up until a few years ago (see field strengths below).

But at these levels, it seems which one is stronger in any given year has a lot to do with which event opens up the biggest checkbook to attract more top rated players.  Depending on which report you read... the Abu Dhabi Sports Council is shelling out between $5-10 million per year in appearance fees.  In the top-heavy OWGR ratings... a #1 player added to the field can easily make 4 points difference around the 50 level.  PD calculated Rory not being able to play this week took Abu Dhabi down from 54 to 50.  And the lower the point level event, the more difference a top-rated player can make.  For instance #1 Rory and #2 Woods not playing Dubai in 2013 (rated 36) probably cost it 8-10 points.

OWGR winners points From 2009 Forward

09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

48-54-56-58-54-48-50-52 - Abu Dhabi
52-50-50-48-36-48-50-48 - Dubai
54-54-50-48-48-44-42-36 - Qatar

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 21 Jan 2017, 7:23 pm

Great stuff as usual kwini! Spieth has ushered in a new generation that straight away look comfortable winning and at the top of leaderboards. McIlroy seems like a fogey! You would have to think Augusta would suit Thomas' game down to the ground, can he make that next step? Its gonna be fun finding out!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 7:52 pm

Agree with the notion that Spieth's success has somehow liberated some of his generation, we'll have to see how many train on. Including Spieth of course!

Good to see Ireland getting some Seamus power; he'll be joined by Harrington & Lowry next week. Not sure that I remember three Irish golfers playing as PGA Tour members before. Power has promised a top result in just about every event so far, but leaked oil in his final round. Needs to take his chances now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm

Indeed kwini, Seamus seems to get in his own way a little on Sundays, I think he'll free up a bit when his card is secure. He played a lot of amateur golf with Rory and Shane, so he's been in good company for a long time. Could even be one more on the horizon with Paul Dunne, we're being spoiled Wink

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

Gonzo in the water in his boxers, picard

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm

Not Gonzo's week - he 5-putted on Thursday. Jon Rahm doing better for the Espanas.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm

Adam Hadwin, 59 watch is on! Shocked

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:42 pm

Wow, 59! Every week now?!?!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:47 pm

There you go. First Canadian to shoot a Tour 59.
Time for a few more 58's.

But you'd certainly bet against any 50-somethings next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next