The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+9
McLaren
Be_the_ball
pedro
super_realist
1GrumpyGolfer
robopz
I'm never wrong
GPB
kwinigolfer
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan - 15:43

First topic message reminder :

1).I don't know whether it's just a childhood spent in the radio age and listening to the drone of the shipping forecast bringing evocative place names like German Bight and Dogger Bank into our front rooms, but I've always been fascinated by places and weather. Later I graduated to cricket commentators telling us about the Fremantle Doctor, then to Upstate New York when we seemingly spent the winter months (all eight of them) under siege from a series of Alberta Clippers, sure to bring snow and misery but moving through swiftly.

2).Fast forward a few years and the Weather Channel started talking about the Pineapple Express, a moisture-laden weather system originating in the Hawaii area of the Pacific apparently designed specifically to sweep into California and give it a thorough drenching just when it seemed drought and forest fires would destroy it forever. Justin Thomas assumed the role of Pineapple Express last week, becoming the first since Ernie Els 14 years ago to win both the TOC at Kapalua and the Sony Open, the Aloha Slam.

3).So, Is Justin Thomas the next real thing, does he have the right stuff to contend in Majors, to warrant a consistent owgr Top Ten ranking? My jury is still out, but this month's form has been irresistible - he's taking a breather now, not sure when he'll be back, but he'll certainly return with scrutiny and expectations he's never seen before.

4).Meanwhile, the original Pineapple Express has been "train"ing storms in to the West Coast for a few weeks now, Northern California getting a right soaking, some flooding and inevitable landslides which may only get worse, and fifteen feet of fresh powder in the Sierra Nevada. Now it sets its sights further south, aiming squarely at this week's Palm Desert location for the CareerBuilder Challenge. Expect two or three days of rain in the desert and cool temps (mid-50's to low 60's); there'll probably be damp fairways and soft greens, usually a recipe for more low scoring, but the added aggravation of at least two days of moderate winds. All in all a recipe for slow play given the Pro-Am format - three days on three separate courses with a 54-hole cut and Round 4 at PGA Tour West's "Stadium Course".

5).Some interesting articles in the US Media these last few weeks addressing the changing face of Golf on TV and the various other viewing options now available. It's not just golf, NFL ratings have been down and the entire TV landscape seems to be altering how future sport TV contracts, and possibly endorsement earners, may be structured. Is the chat about a joint PGA/LPGA Tour Tournament of Champions, for instance a sign of things to come, especially as we know the Zurich Team event is already inked in.

6).Observation on here earlier this week about Angel Cabrera being 47, going on 60. There'll be a "generation" of once elite "International" golfers turning 50 within a year of Cabrera. Els, Goosen, Jaidee, Karlsson and Pampling are all currently 47, Lawrie and Darren Clarke 48 and, if they have any game left at all, should do well on the Champions Tour assuming they choose to do partake. This year's Champions Tour "rookies", or at least David Toms, make their debut this week, in Hawaii.

7).And the web.commers indulge in another Sunday thru' Wednesday gig, still in The Bahamas. Last week's wind-blown affair was won by Kyle Thompson, his fifth such win and he's the sort of web.com lifer that the Europeans' Challenge Tour doesn't seem to attract, probably because the money is just not there. Thompson now has career web.com earnings of $1.7M which, combined with occasional PGA Tour cameos and endorsements, is not at all bad for a golfer perennially on life's undercard.
I wonder if the advent of the Rolex Series will have a knock-on impact benefitting the Challenge Tour?

8).It's not clear yet just how much the Tour's upcoming venues have been, or will be, affected by California storms. Soft conditions may affect the horses-for-courses trend which can be so prevalent early in the season.
Bill Haas is a nearly man as far as the top echelons of golf are concerned, but he's won twice in the Palm Desert and finished well last week at the "Sony".
Will Justin Thomas's breakthrough inspire forgotten Californian "Young Gun" Jamie Lovemark to turn his life of potential into a win?

9).Europeans in the field include Casey, Gonzo, Kjeldsen, Laird, Molinari (not many finished 2016 in better form), Jon Rahm and Seamus Power.
Patrick Reed is also here, anxious to challenge Justin Thomas: "I wish he was (here). I can't wait to get him back in the field and go play against him." That's the spirit.

10).Lots of discussion recently about injured golfers; Tiger Woods, obviously, and a soft Torrey Pines will be a big test of his game, and perhaps his back too. Rory's out for a while, Jason Day seems to be a walking sick note and who knows if Poulter will return to form after his fitness issues last year.
Great to see Justin Rose coming through the field to finish second last week - he never seemed 100% last year, despite his Olympic Gold, and welcome back to him.
And welcome back also to two-time winner Phil Mickelson. Fitness permitting he'll play at least four of the next five weeks, all at venues he's won at.
It finally feels as if the Tour season is starting to go through its gears . . . . . . . . hope no Pineapple Express interrupts it now!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 20 Jan - 16:48; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Wed 25 Jan - 13:37

Not a great surprise but after a teaser photo yesterday Tiger has today announced an endorsement deal to use Taylormade clubs.  Although I am not sure if that means he will have to ditch his all conquering Scotty again? I also assume he will still be using a bridgestone ball.

And Michelle Wie will sign with callaway to use clubs, balls and putter.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Pineapple Express?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited Wed 25 Jan - 13:45

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Navy

Without going too tin foil hat, I don't think Tiger would be in that group if he didn't want to be.
Yup, agree with that. Think the group was probably suggested by someone other than the actual threesome though.

Probably arranged by Taylormade

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Jan - 15:45

McLaren wrote:Not a great surprise but after a teaser photo yesterday Tiger has today announced an endorsement deal to use Taylormade clubs.  Although I am not sure if that means he will have to ditch his all conquering Scotty again?  I also assume he will still be using a bridgestone ball.

And Michelle Wie will sign with callaway to use clubs, balls and putter.

Woods' deal is 13-club (from GolfWRX) and doesn't cover his putter, apparently, which'll still be that Cameron.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Jan - 15:46

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Navy

Without going too tin foil hat, I don't think Tiger would be in that group if he didn't want to be.
Yup, agree with that. Think the group was probably suggested by someone other than the actual threesome though.

Probably arranged by Taylormade
Good call. Coincidence they all play TM? Hmmm...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 25 Jan - 20:41

Sam Ryder contending for the lead in the Web.com tour. Don't dispute that his philanthropic contributions to golf are worthy of a sponsors invite, but he must be getting on, his tournament's been going 90 years....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 25 Jan - 21:25

No Cup for Ryder, but Andrew Landry made a good impression at Oakmont last year and perhaps this will be a breakthrough win.
Good tournament for Jimmy Gunn also, well on his way to the WTF series if nothing else.

EDIT: That should also secure Gunn's place in every web.com event for the rest of the season. Not sure if that was in doubt, but it shouldn't be now. Dornocher.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 25 Jan - 23:44

NedB-H wrote:Sam Ryder contending for the lead in the Web.com tour. Don't dispute that his philanthropic contributions to golf are worthy of a sponsors invite, but he must be getting on, his tournament's been going 90 years....
Some good fun names on the web.com.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 26 Jan - 0:59

You guys would have loved it had Devondeep Bling got through Monday Qualifying for the Farmers.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 26 Jan - 8:39

GPB wrote:You guys would have loved it had Devondeep Bling got through Monday Qualifying for the Farmers.

Would have been much better if he'd been III as well, or at least Junior. Nonetheless, I'm sure the mere existence of Mr Bling will now be entertaining Super beyond the limits of mere words.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 26 Jan - 10:13

Bling and Lovelady is usually a good pairing.

Or Yip and Potter.

Or Woods and Chin.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3